Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)
Chapter 17: Hidden Hill

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

I was with Sodoby and Warner in our Den trying to find a prominent spot for my latest souvenir, the creepy golden mask, when Narth came in.”Captain, I am certain we have the locations of all Seenian worlds and depots. I correlated my memorized visuals with the data copy of Tyron and SHIP created a set of time adjusted Nav targets.”

“We still need to follow the pirates and take them out. I was also told that finding the inheritance does not mean you can access it unless you have been judged by the Anagoge.”

“I must say this is a favorable answer.”

I pulled the mask over a head-form, Warner had fabricated.”Do you favor my answer? That is a strange response indeed.”

“It is not so and reflects the sentiment of 96 percent of your crew.”

Specialist Warner who had climbed to the fourth tier of this souvenir shelf.”I think it is more like a hundred percent, but maybe Lt. Narth is calculating Holdians and perhaps Mini Terrans differently.”

“No, Mr. Warner. I assigned a value of one to all sentients, I can read and a value of zero to those I can not or who have a different opinion. The ninety-six percentage is Holdian inclusive.”

I stepped down from the chair I had used to reach the upper shelf tier and said.”I still have no idea what are you saying. Why would my answer is seen in a positive way?”

Warner explained. “If we find the inheritance and eliminated the pirates, we are all bound to return to Richter. Some going to be re-assigned. Your captain will go to command school or perhaps serve as an XO on a different ship so they can make your acting rank real. It means the end of the Tigershark crew as it is now.”

Narth actually nodded.”96 percent of our crew hopes we go on for a long time till that happens.”

“Paint me an Ult, and I thought most of the guys want to go home and have a nice vacation or something.” But I realized he was right.”I was only an acting captain after all and completing our mission meant, I reverted to be a lieutenant like the others. This was what McElligott said when he made me acting captain. I didn’t even think about all this until now. The USS Tigershark was a prototype and might be decommissioned or receive a new captain. The need for an unknown captain and crew was becoming obsolete once the Red Dragon was slain.

I tried to suppress a sigh and said.”Let us cross that bridge when it comes to being crossed. The Dragon is still there and we have not taken possession of the Seenian depot. I am very glad however that my crew is in good spirits.”

I looked at the mask for a moment and then said.”SHIP, seal that information in a special file and put in your most secure spot. Then erase all other files that mention the locations of these Seenian places.”

“I am storing it in the NNNTH interface.No one but you and I can access it.”

Sodoby who had not said a word also looked at the shelf that held some of the souvenirs and artifacts we collected so far.”You might be young in years Captain, but you are very wise indeed.”

“You know why I decided to do so?”

“Yes, Captain. Those minds who decided to seal what they found on Arsenal III had the same concerns. Someone might decide to use the Seenian inheritance to accelerate Union technology and use it to expand it by military means. Some groups might decide it is time for a single ruler.”

Our conversation was interrupted by Har-Hi stepping into the Den, carrying a big steel banded box and followed by a tall dignified and old looking Dai.

My Dai XO wrestled the obviously heavy case onto our big table and said.”Captain, please let me introduce you to Kai-Do, he is Okthi but I find honor in him. He is the last of the Do tribe as far as he knows.”

Har-Hi crossed his arms before his chest and gave the old man an honor greeting.”He is also a Laro-Gy.”

I repeated the Dai gesture of respect and said.”My friend has invited you, so let me add my welcome.”

“I am the one honored, Captain Velvet. Prince Hi has told me much about this ship and you, he asked my vows to keep all secrets I am exposed to.”

“Master of Masters, welcoming a Dai that has the right to carry the Gy is the rarest of privileges and if Har-Hi trusts you and decided to expose you to our true nature, then so will I.”

The old Dai glanced at Har-Hi.”She speaks perfect Dai and knows much about us.”

Har-Hi said with a proud voice.”She is my best friend and ever since we are friends, she eagerly learns about Dai Than.”

Kai-Do crossed his arms.”I am presenting myself as a conscript and desire to be more than a passenger. Prince Hi refused to go to Thana Shoo and ursup the evil that spreads from the hand of Cam Elf-Na and spoke of bonds that are deeper than everything. I was skeptical inside and asked him to grant me passage on your ship, so I may see this Union and speak with Tar Ka-Hi. Now meeting you, I sense the bond that exists between you and the prince. I am skeptical no more.

“It might be a while till we return to Union space, Master Do. I am also not sure when we are going to Thana Shoo and tackle the Elf-Na issue, but we will.”

“I have no doubts.”

“Har-Hi why don’t you show our newest addition to appropriate quarters and make sure Master Do is aware what it means to be conscripted. He will be honored and a welcome guest if he chooses not to.”

Har-Hi nodded and was about to take the big trunk when the old man said.”Not this one, Prince. It contains my gift to the captain.” To me he said.”If time permits, I like to see your blade skills and then I want you to have what is inside that trunk.”


I had given most of my crew shore leave. I told them to stay in groups. Warned Circuit from buying any souvenirs that might be alive and decided to trust them, not to cause trouble.

This was an orderly world, but also the center of a sizeable space traveling society. The planet offered the usual recreation options but also mountains, oceans, forests and beaches and most of all open skies.

It gave me a sense of delight seeing Ensign Orkis spreading his wings and soar into the sky. He promised to fly to the port complex to be scanned and cleared before he explored the beautiful vista of this world.

It was then when I was contacted by Crimson. He told me about his experience inside the Wisdom Hall and that he knew where the library was and that he had the key for it as well.

He then said.”Captain Velvet, I am taking the lead and you are welcome to tag along. Neither the Dragon nor the Bassett woman speaks for all of us.”

“But she seems to express the sentiment of the majority.”

“I am not begging or asking anything. Either you decide to come along and I honor my word or you go where ever you want. I am sure you did not leave the Hall of Wisdom empty handed, you know where the library is just as I do.”

“Alright, Crimson we will follow you to the library and see what develops. When do we leave?”

“The locals holding court over Captain Carrhrh and decide upon his fate tomorrow. Captain Lemakr is still in a hospital, they say he not only lost his arm but also his mind. I will go there this afternoon and see about him, he is a crook but he is part of us and I think I owe him that.”

The Oghr shrugged and added.”After we know what will happen to them and their crews, I guess we can go.”

“Alright, I stick around for a bit.”

Mao said.”For a pirate and criminal, he seems to have a decent streak and holds to a code of honor.”

Shaka sitting relaxed behind his console agreed.”I think he is the only real pirate of the group anyway. The others are just crooks. They say he is in that business for over forty years.”

Hans standing by his security console said.”He is wanted for piracy alright, but he doesn’t do slave raids or kill for fun.”

I got up.”Guys we have at least two days on the first decent planet. Find rotations and enjoy a little time under an open sky. I take a break and take the Conn for the next shift.”


The day passed without incidents. I could not be prouder than about the report of Har-Hi. Our crew was rotating through shore leave without a single incident and they all returned right on time.

I had written my daily log and for the first time left out some details. I was not even sure why I did it, but the closer we got to that inheritance the more I felt unsure as to what to do when we found it.

Crimson called again telling me about his hospital visit. “Lemakr was stable in physical terms, but he claimed to have seen a Goddess. He is abandoning the quest and wants to return to Togr and join some sort of reformation movement, revolving around someone with a white fur. Not that it made any sense to me. However, he’s out, no need to wait for him.”

I knew of course what Lemakr was talking about, he had seen Jolaj. What the deal was with that reformation movement, I did not know but I figured it was also related to the Queen’s conduct regarding Jolaj.

I was about to slip out of my robe to go to bed and sleep a little when SHIP announced a visitor, Shea was outside my door.

Of course, I let her in and said.”You don’t have to use the chime, love. We are both out of uniform and we are more than friends. We are right?”

She rushed into my arms.”Of course, we are. I just needed to be held, I had a very emotional day yesterday with that dead brother telling me about my real father. It made me so mad, hearing that he is some sort of ancient demigod and still found it appropriate to leave my mother and me on Sin 4.”

“I never understood or forgiven my father Isegrim for murdering my mother. To this day I am wondering if I made the right decision to let him live. I could not even kill my stepmother when I had a chance. I have no words for you that make it easier, but I found a new family and all the bliss in your arms.”

She nuzzled against my cheek and sighed deeply. I could smell her wonderful scent and feel her warm body underneath her velvet suit.

It did not take long and we found ourselves in my bed and from hugs and kisses it led to much more. Exhausted, deeply satisfied and stimulated to the tips of my nerves I caressed her thick soft tresses as her head rested upon my chest.

She looked up and whispered.”You are no longer confused about it all, right?”

“More than ever in some regards, not during the day or so but loving you makes me wonder and question it all. Not as much as it has.”

“I am happy just the way it is.

“You could move in with me you know. There is enough room in my quarters and there are no official regulations prohibiting it.”

“But there are many unwritten ones and maybe as a captain, you need your solitude once in a while.”

“Tell me one regulation written or unwritten we haven’t bent to their maximum or right out ignored. Now it was only a suggestion of course. If I want solitude I find that in my office.”

“He is some sort of entity, my father that is.” She told me everything she experienced at the grave of her father’s brother and then she said.”Maybe I am some sort of non-human creature as well.”

“You are an angel to me, girl. I told you all about that strange journey I am supposed to be on and it scared the living daylight out of me. It does no longer, I am who and what I am and I give a hoot about what others want me to be, including whatever is inside me. I am not going to change or submit to be a plaything of other forces. Our journey has taught me a few things, my love. Chief is the realization that I am indeed not alone. That whatever we face, whatever I face there is something that can be done about it.”

She softly caressed my chest.”That is good advice and I hoped for a little while now, that you ask me to move in.”

“You should also talk to Narth. Through him, you can access the wisdom of the Narth Supreme. Of all the entities I met, the Narth Supreme is the one I trust most. Maybe he has answers or advice for you as well.”

“I will.”

“Now should we get some breakfast or resume our earlier activities. You touching my boobs for some reason makes me hungry as hell, but not for food.”

Her thoughtful face was suddenly graced with an elfish grin.”You’re not hungry but horny and I think we can skip breakfast for lunch...” Her voice trailed off as she kissed me while her hands...


Narth and Circuit had taken the opportunity to take shore leave. Narth of course because he was infinitely curious about the physical universe and was eager to experience more of the Porsthir civilization and why Circuit wanted to go was no secret to anyone aboard the Tigershark, despite him insisting on just going along with Narth for the sights. That he carried a substantial amount of Polo coins and Iridium chips was simply a coincidence.

Neither one had the slightest problem clearing the port controls. There was nothing alive in or on the X101 and of course, there were none on the Narth.

As they emerged from the controls. Narth pointed out a glowing sign and said.”Your first visit should be that establishment.”

“Why? I don’t even know what they selling. I was just thinking I could risk a look over there. That spaceport business seems to sell souvenirs.”

“Because they are selling the local currency in exchange for other valuables, such as that vast quantity of coins you carry and the additional funds you asked me to place in my subspace pocket.”

“Now I know why the captain always picks you to come with her. You are a good resource to have as a friend.”

“I think there are other parameters the Captain uses to pick those who accompany her, but this Narth is glad you think of me as a good resource.”

The Centmac’s eyes glowed a little brighter. “I know you can’t really read me, but I hope you know how I meant it.”

“I don’t read any of my friends, I trust them. I trust you, Circuit. Besides you have skills that make you a good resource to have around as well.”

The Narth added.”However, you should not trust the money exchanger. Our Iridium coins are much more valuable than he will make us believe.”

“That is why I brought a secret weapon, Narth.”

He turned and pointed at a Holdian that just came through the airlock door that separated the landing field facilities and the hygiene inspection station from the rest of the concourse. Warner shook his small fist.”Those overgrown mutts insisting on scanning me twice. I deal with machinery and not with biologicals and I am on top of my species grooming habits.”

“Yet you insist on eating fermented Ornti Chew Leaves whenever you can. I bet a hundred credits it was a bag of that stuff that set their scanners off.” Circuit said managing to modulate his artificial voice with a friendly mocking tone.

“Keep your money. I am not betting with my boss who is in cahoots with a Narth. He probably heard the inspectors.”

“I am also in cahoots with you, Specialist Warner as I convinced the inspector to let you keep those Leaves. I have however not mentioned anything to Circuit.”

“That explains his sudden change of mind and completely forgetting about them. I would have hated to give them up. None came aboard while we met the Devi and it might be a long time until we see Union stores.”

“This is because you forgot to buy them while you were at the Devi village, too busy flirting with that Holdian beauty.”Circuit kept mocking his friend.

Narth asked.”Do you resent this long deployment? We might not be home anytime soon.”

“Resent being aboard the Tigershark, me? Narth didn’t you hear what I explained to the Captain. I rather chew on nothing than missing one minute. I’d fly with her to the end of time.”

Circuit stopped Narth from correcting the Holdian.”If you start with your lectures on temporal and spatial conditions, we will stand here till that mentioned end for certain.” To the sentient rodent, he said.”There is a money changer, can you help us get a good rate?”

The Porthir money changer cursed after the transaction was done.”Whatever species you are, little one. You’d give a Golden a run for his money.”

Circuit took the sizeable stack of Porthir money which was in elongated strips of woven gold pads of different sizes and values.”He is hanging out day and night with one and I knew he had to pick up some of the skills.”

The Holdian was visibly proud.”Sobody will be very pleased if I managed to learn a little of him.”

True to his word, Circuit went straight to the souvenir dealer. Narth and Warner remained outside as they noticed a group of Tigershark crew apparently returning from their shore leave. Ak Fective was with them and so were two Petharian marines in pirate disguise of course. directed them to the best shopping district and recommended to get there with an underground tram that was free of charge to use.

While they were talking to their crewmates, Circuit came back out of the store and held up a metal disc.”Ten local money credits, a genuine Token.”

Ak Fective made a gnarling sound.”Maybe there is a store where they sell the location of the depot.”

That caused laughter and Fective said.”It looks like they saving the Union the cost of an execution too. Every local I talked to thinks Captain Carrhrh will be executed.”

While Fective and the other crew members went back to the ship

The three beings, one a rodent, one a Sentmac and one a real Narth who were more than just comrades, leisurely left the spaceport concourse.

But before they could use a declining transport belt to get to those trams, a familiar person stepped into their way, it was Kilkam.

Narth said even before the old man could speak.”You toyed with the life of my best friend and my captain. Did you come to find out that I am indeed Narth and that your psionic talents are inadequate?”

Warner dropped his right paw on his blaster.”Don’t worry about the littering. I burn you to atomic ashes, traitor.”

“The captain said we need to stay out of trouble and we will, but if you ever step in our way again. I show you what nanites can do to a living being.”

Kilkam raised his hands.”I know how protective you are about your captain. I came to apologize and explain, I know she will listen to you.”

“I fail to see the reason, why I should advocate on your behalf. Would your actions caused her harm, you could not find a place to hide from my anger.”

“The mask I have given her is a priceless artifact with the potential to find the other cache. There is more to this quest and to the inheritance. She might have hesitated, we needed to know if she is the right one. I must talk to her.”

“Then go ask her yourself. She is the captain and no one but her has the authority to grant you what you request.”


I actually wasn’t surprised about the call Elfi received. It was the former Keeper Kilkam who tried to get in touch.

That he played his games was no longer a mystery to me. That wearing his mask put me in mortal danger was a fact I did not forget, but he was an important figure in this quest and I felt I had to hear what he wanted to say.

Elfi established the connection after I agreed to speak to him.

“Alright, Kilkam. You are a central figure in all of this and I am sure you have more to share, but don’t think I will trust you again. That boat left the harbor.”

“Captain Velvet, I apologize for all it is worth, but like you, I have a mission that takes precedence and the consequences of me failing mine will change the course of history and shift the balance of powers.”

“I don’t dismiss these concerns and notions, Kilkam. That a successful completion of our quest and my mission has wide-reaching consequences lay heavy on me. I have no issue with your mission but I despise dishonesty. I have beings in this crew that in power and might are beyond me by magnitudes and yet I trust each of them. If you want to test me. Say so, and I decide if I want to be tested or if the price is too high. I then walk away and you find another subject.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.