Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 13: Seekers Request

Funsecsiev the Command wizard of the large Kermac fleet felt frustrated, a little scared and cheated.

Frustrated, because he was not in control of the Celtest depot, nor did he have detailed information as for how it might be reached. Scared because he did not want to return to Kermac prime without a report of success and cheated because this mission if successful could have been the door to the Tower of Wizards and the lead position of a ministry. Without the expected success, his chances to evade punishment perhaps even a mindwipe were rather slim.

Especially after the fiasco losing the gravitation controlling mountain, the Kermac leadership needed success urgently.

He was there when the lead wizard responsible for the costliest project in recent Kermac history was questioned by the High Wizard and then thrown off the Wizard Tower. They did not even bother with a mind wipe and killed him right there and then.

Everyone knew about the fantastic alien ship, Admiral Stahl brought back from his time in exile. Loaded with Celtest secrets and most of all the secret of the Translocator weapon.

This weapon and the new shield technology was the core reason for the Union’s dominance and power. Even after all this time, the Kermac had not been able to discover the secrets of this weapon system. There were countless attempts and projects to obtain the technical details, but all had failed.

Now there was the chance to secure an entire Celtest war depot, a depot that no doubt also stored Translocator cannons. Along with Celtest warships and other tech.

The Supreme Wizard so he was told actually drooled as he heard the news and authorized every resource needed.

Just like the doomed Kermac spy, that doublecrossing Puup named Brathering he now came to the realization that he might have jumped the gun and revealed Kermac involvement too early.

His five thousand ship task force had been reduced to less than two thousand by a vicious fighting fleet of Puup warships. While the Kermac were technologically much more advanced and won the battle, the Puup fought relentlessly and to the last ship. They used their own ships as relativistic projectiles, totally disregarding their own safety sacrificing their very lives, something Funsecsiev could not understand.

Their tactic was very successful and the Kermac lost a little over three thousand capital units.

Worst than the loss of these units and lives was the realization that Cosporus was not the planet where the sealed library was located. The will amplifiers did not work very well on the minds of the Trontigmakader and even after torturing and interrogating a large number of locals, no one revealed the location of this library that supposedly held a vital piece of information regarding the location of the depot.

While Brathering believed it was on Trokiht, no other source could confirm that. His interrogators reported at least a dozen different locations all across the Downward sector. He decided to check on Trokiht first.”


It was decided to include the Wutohf in the group and quest. Lormoog had taken a prominent position at the counter and while he was served another bucket of what I assumed was some sort of spiced blood drink, educated us about the Fifth and the library.

He leaned back against the bar and said.”Don’t get the wrong impression, getting to the library isn’t going to be easy. It is sealed for a reason.”

Sandovahl just being served with something alcoholic, a drink recommended to him by one of the servers put down the mug. “You said you know where it is, right?”

“Yes I do, but knowing where it is won’t do much good if you can’t get inside and get that information you are looking for. As I said, the Wisdom of the Fifth is a religion that has spread across these parts of the galaxy. It is a very old religion and if I remember it correctly been around even before your Celtest gained faster than light technology.

The legend speaks about five entities that survived a previous universe, and came to this, our reality. They are called the Brotherhood of Sateer.”

He paused obviously to think and recall more details. “The Wutohf are not very religious and I only gathered bits and pieces here and there from others and in places like this. The temple or main installation of that religion can be found on Prostradoris, the homeworld of the Porsthir and the Principle of that temple knows how to access the library. He will ask for a Token of the Fifth before, I am sure. Such a token can be issued by any Wisdom Keeper. These keepers can be found on any planet with a Wisdom Hall, there are many.”

“And where is the next such Wisdom Hall?” The Red Dragon wanted to know.

“The closest ones are on Puup planets and there is one on Trokiht, I believe.”

“Which one do you recommend?” Lia asked.

“From what I hear, the Puup are at war and are not to keen on strangers and often eat them. I say our safest bet is Trokhit.”

“And they are not to keen on us. They chased us of Cosporus.” Sandovahl said.

Our new guide waved his hand before his head. “That was a local thing, I doubt the Troki of Trokhit even know who was chased of Cosporus. I do business with the Buzz-speakers for a long time, I should know.”

The Thauran motioned to Sandovahl.”How long for repairs?”

“I need about two days if we aren’t interrupted.”

“Then get started, we are leaving in two days for Trokhit. All the rest of you get your tubs fueled up and service them.”


Four days ago and without any incidents worth mentioning, we had left the dusty planet and followed Lormoog, who called his ship ‘Mahgline’.

According to him, we were back in Trontigmakader space and not far from their homeworld.

Har-Hi came on the bridge with Alice and a Togar female in his wake.

I was mildly surprised to see them in dark green uniforms and my XO said.”This is Cadet Alice Enigma and the other one is Cadet Calara Roghor. They passed their Academy entry exam and are ready to do begin their training.”

“Their training? Wouldn’t they need to go to first-year basic training first, as we did?”

Har-Hi proudly pointed to his ribbon display and only now I realized he was wearing uniform. “The Academy made me an authorized instructor and Admiral McElligott appointed me chief instructor of the USS Tigershark.” He gave me an elfish grin.”We are an authorized academy school vessel after all.”

I got up and stepped on the SECO area of our bridge. I glared at Har-Hi.”I am the Captain and should know all these things and not be surprised by it.”

“It was mentioned under line item 45 in my daily report to you, while we were on Iteamh.”

“Line item 45?”

“Indeed captain and you signed it too.”

“And you are particularly obnoxious today, my devilish looking friend. You know I don’t read past the first page, but I think I should.”

“That is why it was line item 45 on page three. Besides it was the Admirals idea to make our conscripts more legitime and better integrated, even Sodoby and Xon participate in my classes.”

I sighed, “SHIP did you know that we are also an Academy ship?”

“Certainly, Captain. I am very proud of that and besides, I read all the line items.”

“My XO obnoxious and now my SHIP being a smartass. I think I should have stayed in bed today.”

I smiled at the new cadets.”Never mind that banter, I officially welcome you to the bridge of the USS Tigershark, have you made this decision becoming not only Union citizens but members of the Fleet on your own free mind and are you aware of the consequences of this decision?”

Both cadets still stood in attention and I snapped my fingers.”At ease, Cadets.”

Alice was first.”Captain, we passed the Academy entry test, meaning we were seen by an entry specialist and interviewed about our motivation and goals. Granted the specialist was only tele present but the session was certified.” Her perpetual sad looking face very briefly flashed a smile.”Captain, you saved our lives, and through you, our home Sin 4 is now a free planet called Wooorld. I know Sin 4 is not my true origin, I must have been born or created somewhere else. I got some weird alien DNA in me that gives me all those psionics, but Wooorld is my home, Nestor is my father and I am a Union citizen. Being on this ship has taught me more about what it means to be Union and there is no greater desire in me than to do my part to keep it safe and give the next Alice we come across a chance too.”

“Wow! I don’t think I expected that, but I am glad it is so. What are you planning to specialize in?”

“Helm as it leads to OPS and eventually command. I want to become a captain like you.”

I gave her the standard speech as to how difficult this chosen path would be, the same one I had been given on numerous occasions, but then I wished her the best of luck and expressed my sincere wish to see her on the big chair one day.

Then I focused on Roghor’s daughter.”I am also surprised to see you in Academy uniform. I doubt you and me have spoken more than a few words since your father came aboard. I knew you and your brother stayed aboard, but I thought to join the Togar community on Union side.”

“I am ashamed as to what my society has done to my father. I am a female but I do not condone this despicable treatment of males. It wasn’t always so. I want to be a Union officer and one-day Togr will join the Union, and Togar are judged by their deeds and not the color of their fur or their gender. I am going to specialize in engineering. No female Togar would ever be allowed to become one.”

She then added.”Oh, and my brother isn’t here because he wants to join the Marines and the Tigershark isn’t a Marine training ship.”

I sighed.”I think that might not be such a bad thing, we simply don’t do all that much planetary assault stuff. I am extending my welcomes to you as well. Why don’t you go down to engineering then? I bet there isn’t a better teacher than Circuit.”

She made a purring sound and Har-Hi nodded.”Go right ahead, Cadet Roghor.”

To Alice I said.”Want to try it on for size?”

“Your suit?”

“If you like be my guest, I was thinking about the Command seat. I had the chance to do the same as a cadet aboard the USS Hyperion.”

Har-Hi added.”And later commanding the Devi of all ships.”

Alice wiped her mouth.”Are you serious?”

“We are in Quasi and still a day or so from our next destination.”

But before Alice could take a seat. Mao interrupted with an urgent report.”Captain, there is a large fleet ahead of us, heading for the Trontigmakader home system. It’s the Kermac.”

I gave Alice an apologizing gesture.”Sorry, Ms.Enigma.” I plunged back into the command seat just as Elfi told me that we are being hailed, it was the Red Dragon.

He was quite obviously frustrated and disappointed.”The Kermac are ahead of us, there is no way they let us do our thing. So what are we doing now?”

Lormoog tied into the conference call and said.”There are other Wisdom Halls around, this was only the closest one. However, it would have been the best one too, as I have a friend there who knows the local Wisdom keeper and obtaining a Token of Wisdom would have been easy because of that.”

We all stopped and set our ships adrift.

Sandovahl was now speaking.”Maybe the Kermac won’t stay long. It appears they did not remain at Cosporus very long.”

Lia said.”We are monitoring the Myon traffic for a while now. The Kermac got a serious beating from the Puup and left Cosporus.”

Crimson said.”Could we not go back to Cosporus? The locals are not in any position to deny us, maybe there is a Wisdom Hall too.”

Lormoog said.”There is one, but I do not know in what state the Kermac left Cosporus and if the Wisdom Keeper there is even alive or willing to give us a token.”

I gave Elfi the sign to tie me in and then said.”It seems Trokhit is still the best place for us to obtain that Token and the Kermac are not really there yet. I am also certain it was Brathering who supplied them with the information about the depot and the subsequent information regarding the state of the quest. All we need to do is send the Kermac somewhere else. I think I have an idea to do just that.”

The Thauran’s face lit up.”We are listening, Black Velvet.”

“Loormog, who would be able to provide the Kermac with a rather nice welcome?”

“Oh, I am sure the Yotenen would just love to have them. They are grumpiest species I know, are of your guys Tech development and they know the Kermac too.”

I almost giggled as I explained them my plan.


Funsecsiev needed good news and hoped he would find the necessary information on the homeworld of these cursed Insectoids. This was not a colony but their place of origin and he expected it to be much better defended, especially since he was certain the Trontigmakader knew about Cosporus and were not as unprepared as they had been before.

He had no doubt he would be victorious, but not without losses and he was too far from GC space to obtain reinforcements in time.

The Kermac in charge of Intelligence was very aware of the foul mood the Lead Wizard was in and addressed the wizard with all the titles he remembered and added a few that sounded very important. It had the desired effect, Funsecsiev felt a little less irritated, especially since the subordinate called him ‘Intellect supreme’. He decided to add it to his titles as it had a very nice ring to it and it did reflect his own opinion regarding his smartness. “Go ahead and deliver your message, maybe there is a promotion in your future as well.”

“Only the wizard known to all, to be the finest mind and intellect...”

“I said deliver your report, by the time you do it might no longer be relevant.”

“We received LRT messages from Kermac Prime, they analyzed the interrogation reports and realized we overlooked the most important information. Our spy, Brathering traveled with others to locate the Celtest depot. The whole quest was initiated by a pirate known as the Red Dragon...”

Funsecsiev interrupted the officer with a rude gesture and barked.”This is all known to me. The Thauran was rescued from the gallows by us, we know who he is. That he came across information regarding a second Celtest depot is also explainable as we all know what the cursed Union found on the third planet of Palaiotk system, they call it Arsenal. I am convinced the former admiral turned pirate found the information and that Celtest equipment he was able to incorporate into that stolen ship of his.”

“Wizard of highest intelligence and understanding, that is exactly what I am about to report. The Red Dragon knows more about this than anyone. He told the other pirates that are with him about the Library and the Anagog.”

The Command wizard stopped himself from another annoyed reply and took a deep breath.”Go on!”

“We asked the Insectoids about the location of the library and got many answers. The reason for this is the fact that there are many small libraries all across this space on many planets. The sealed library is on a planet called Yotra, almost 670 light revolutions from here. This is validated by the fact that the Red Dragon asked several sources about this planet.”

“You imbecile! You come to me with this now? The wizards back at the towers will think of us as bumbling amateurs. This crook might already be there and is in possession of that information. We must stop them from gaining the Celtest depot, so we can take possession. Kermac existence hinges on this!”

He opened the folding door that separated his chambers from the command center and said.”Change course, find the coordinates to a world called Yotra and make all possible haste.”

The ship commander acknowledged and ordered the Puup to be brought to the command center.

Guards pushed Brathering before the Commander moments later, he was not treated as a valued asset but as a prisoner.

“Quick, Puup the coordinates to a planet called Yotra, it is there where the library is.”

“No wonder my people are at war with them. Yes, the library of the Fifth could be there.” He used his personal data device to transfer the spatial coordinates of that planet.


“By the blessed Blue Virgin, it worked. My Kermac still knew the Wizard codes, those paper faces never changed them. Not knowing Nulachfies is still alive, they swallowed the story hook line and sinker.”

We all watched the Kermac fleet chance course. “That you have psionic talents we know since we were thrown out your flying treasure chamber.”

Lia tied herself in.”I am the first to say it, but having you along Black Velvet turns out to be very good.”

The Dragon laughed.”I liked your style from the start.”

Lormoog did not know what they were referring to, of course, but he too seemed impressed by the fact that the Kermac were now on their way to a very different destination. “I only heard about the Kermac, never dealt with them, but I almost wish I could be there when the Yotenen express their displeasure being visited so unexpectedly.”

Crimson Curse clicked himself into the call and said. “We can go to Trokhit now, right?”

Lormoog waved his hand in a vertical fashion, indicating a positive response.”Oh yes, Trokhit is a planet open to trade and foreigners. We should have no problems getting the Token there.”


Sagodi, the Generous had been very busy the last few days. The Union Welcome wagon had arrived seven days ago. No one in known history had ever seen anything like it. A fleet of thousand freighters, protected by hundred Union Battleships dropped into real space not far from Sagodi’s Roid. None of the Golden or the watching merchants of many non-Golden species ever seen freighters of such enormous size, but the arrival of the Welcome Wagon was only the beginning of relentless activities.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.