Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 12: Kermac Spy

UPWARD

The NAVINT commander had her Avatar established in the secure conference room underneath the surface of Richter 4. Also present were Cherubim, Algear Moansti, Admiral McElligott and now the Avatar of Admiral Stahl blinked into existence.

The little group was made complete by a massive alien. The large alien, the Nul All Leader was here the first time by invitation.

I was the Commandant of NAVINT that opened this top-level meeting and after she acknowledged the ones present she went right to the point.”Our friends of the Gray Cat society confirm reports we gathered. The Kermac have amassed a substantial fleet of about 5,000 ships that are on their way to the Downward sector. It appears they do know about the existence of a Seenian Depot somewhere down there and are on their way to secure it.”

Stahl’s face became even more serious than it usually was.”If those Paperfaces gain access to Seenian tech, we are going to be in for a serious ride. I am certain we still prevail, but I fear at a tremendous cost.”

Cherubim looked over her readouts, she had called up.”We don’t have contact with Captain Olafson. She and her ship are out of communication range for a while now. We do not know where she is, other than somewhere Downward. Our Golden friends do have a Bazaar down there and that Bazaar should be online with GalNet any day now. The Welcome Wagon has arrived there just a few days ago.”

McElligott sighed.”Let’s hope our girl is within communication range of that Bazaar when it does get connected, but what can she do against five thousand Kermac warships?”

Stahl crossed his arms.”I don’t think I could have more confidence in the command ability and resourcefulness of anyone than Erica, but O’Brock is right. Five thousand Kermac ships are beyond anything she could handle.”

The Nul leader said.”The Nul will render all the assistance we can, but if our information matches yours, the Kermac are far ahead and there is no way we can catch up with them.”

“Not even the latest Attikan Battleships could. Not that we have enough of them M-0 side anyway.” Stahl added.

Cherubim looked towards the Nul leader.”I am authorized to reveal all our Intel to you and recommend that you are instructed in the Blue-Blue-Red protocol. This situation is more serious than it even appears and we have no issues with the trustworthiness of Nul.”

“I am ordering our Intel to be under NAVINT auspice and share all our assets.”

McElligott got up and said.”Richard, get your big tub and the first fleet as fast as you can Downwards. Stay within range of the new relay chain. Take along assets to beef up the GalNet relays, as soon as we know where the Kermac headed we let you know.”


I had everyone gathered in our Den and waited till my senior officers had completed their reports.

“I understand your hesitation to call me, Mr. Hi. What I am saying now is not meant in disrespect, but I must say it. If a situation like this develops, your first duty is to inform me. I know we do things differently on the Tigershark and I must blame myself for setting a bad example. The next time disregard any emotional based decisions or notions what I might expect, if in doubt call. This does not mean I am second guessing you. You are my XO and if you make decisions I will back them up as if they had been made by me.”

He nodded with a serious face.”I am sorry and I apologize, I knew I made bad decisions.”

“Welcome to the club, my friend. We won’t talk about this anymore but focus on what we need to do next.”

Narth raised his hand.”Captain, I am just detecting a Long Range Telepath aboard the Uhuin. He is sending thoughts and request for instructions to the Kermac leadership. Brathering appears to be more than just a loyal Puup pirate. He is a Kermac agent.”

“I actually expected that much, how else did he get a genuine T Cruiser? What is he sending and can you intercept the answer?”

“I will attempt to do that.” Narth fell silent and lowered his shrouded head to concentrate and focus his abilities.

Sobody said. “We could go to my brother and return disguised as a Golden Sphere.”

I agreed, that might not be a bad idea, but we need to find out what our special friends decide to do.”

TheOther who currently manned communications came on over Intership.”Captain, we are being hailed by the local authorities.”

“Put them on.”

“We don’t know by what trickery you influenced the Decider, but all of you foreigners time runs short. If you are not gone soon. We open those ships and arrest any survivors for the practice of forbidden magic.”

The other pirate ships were taking off after fruitless arguments.

I was the last to respond.”This is Captain Black Velvet. I am curious just how fast?”

The buzzing respond sounded very agitated and commanding. “What a stupid question! As fast as possible!”

I said keeping the channel open. “Helm you heard them, they want us gone as fast as possible, so let’s go fast, forget about a gentle lift-off. Full engines!”

“Aye Sir, preparing for full engine lift off.”

The disguised Tigershark virtually jumped into space on a plume of light speed accelerated energy plasma, her shields glowing as bright as a white star forcefully punching through the atmosphere.

The chaos this lift of created was of catastrophic proportions, many thousand tons of water instantly turned into a hurricane of superheated steam cooking anything in its wake, followed by a huge tidal wave and furnace temperature air. The ships and fliers surrounding us were cooked and whatever remained scattered across a wide area.

Two Trontigmakader freighters were tossed into other ships like toys, The entire shoreline of Mustar had been washed away by a tidal wave of titanic proportions.

I said into the still open channel. “I hope that was fast enough.”


I rushed to the bridge while SHIP sounded General Quarters. I plunged into my seat while Narth appeared out of thin air into his.”The Kermac responded, Captain but I can not make sense of it. They instructed Brathering to proceed according to order set four. I do not know what order set four is.”

Fivcheer came rushing from the I.S.T. and took an open seat behind me in the secondary Control area of the bridge.”The Red Dragon has a Kermac crew member, he too noticed the LRT answer.”

Mao barked right over Fivcheer. “The Red Dragon activated all weapons and she is under full ParaDim shields.”

While I was glad he no longer had Seenian shields or the latest TransDim shields of Union tech. His ParaDim shields in triple layer configuration were still a hard nut to crack, especially for a Karthanian ship we were supposed to be.

Mao was not done.”The other ships are under full shields now and arm their weapons.”

The Red Dragon came on hailing everyone.”That doublecrossing Puup has sold us out and now he is going to pay for it!”

The Dragon opened fire the same time. While the old prototype no longer had a Translocator, he too had a few Lokis and very powerful Forced Energy cannons. The Uhuin had just cleared orbit and under shields, was too close to do anything to evade or intercept the incoming Loki torpedo and the simultaneous impact of four FTL-FE tunnel beams. Less than a heartbeat later, the other pirate ships opened fire as well. While the Uhuin was trying to get out of the direct line of fire and retaliated with Kermac line cannons of considerable strength, her shields could not deflect the Loki impact and collapsed. Several beams raked across her side and cooked off armor plating ripping big holes into her primary hull.

The retaliatory fire of the T-Cruiser hammered into the shields of the Red Dragon and the Killerbeast.

This should have been the end of Brathering, as his ship was done for, but the command module of the T Cruiser separated from the burning wreck and accelerated fast.

Narth spoke with uncharacteristic alarm in his voice. “A large fleet of Kermac warships will drop out of Quasi in less than ten minutes. The Puup is in contact with them via his LRT.”

“Shaka step on it, maximum acceleration within our disguise limits. Lay in a course for the next star, for now.”

Surprisingly the Celestial Nightmare and the Bloody Mary immediately followed us. The Kalita also changed course and committed to a Threshold run moments later.

Our sensors detected the violent explosion of the Uhuin almost at the same moment as our sensors registered the drop of at least hundred Yiee battleships accompanied by a large number of T Cruisers and K type destroyers before we managed to slip into Quasi-Space.


The wizard in charge of the Kermac fleet had left the lumbering old and slow Habyr battleships behind and used his fastest units to advance and respond to the urgent assistance request of Brathering.

It was not a moment too soon, as he dropped out of Quasi into this system owned by the Trontigmakader. His forward units immediately opened fire on Trontigmakader and other ships. He had one mission and one goal only, to secure the Celtest depot for the Kermac. With its technology, the Kermac did not need to wait for the Y’All that weren’t reliable and their arrival not certain or any time soon. The Grand Wizard was informed and authorized whatever resource might be needed.

The Galactic Council controlled by the Kermac was second to Union and their new found allies the Nul, but still one of the most potent forces in the known galaxy. This time they would not be denied and Funsecsiev the Command wizard of this mighty strike force was determined to show all these primitives what it meant to stand against the Kermac.

Unknown to anyone but his closest associates, Funsecsiev wanted to become the Kermac version of the Immortal warrior. Feared and respected by everyone.

His ship, the Yokolta was the latest and most advanced Kermac battleship was bristling with weapons and excellent shields but unlike his secret role model, he didn’t believe a man in his important position should be exposed to the very front of things.

When the Yokolta dropped out of Quasi-space, most non Kermac contacts were destroyed. His ship received the escape pot with the Puup moments later.

While the Kermac spy was rushed to the command center, one of his lead team asked to report and he granted that low level less than white officer the privilege to talk to him. Ever since the last war, Kermac reluctantly modified their habit of address, at least in the military.

While he intellectually actually understood the reason for that, emotionally he regretted the loss of etiquette and culture and wished his subordinates would at least address him with half of his many titles, he so carefully crafted and decided to add to his name.

So he felt a little annoyed when Neusechfir, the lead Kermac of the Yokolta simply called him, powerful and wise and then Nuesechfir came to his actual report.”We detected several ships of advanced tech leaving the system and entering Inbetween space just as we returned to standard space. The last of these is currently running, but not before destroying two Cruisers with Union type Loki torpedoes. The craft matches the reports we have on an outlaw called Red Dragon.”

“Anything on the Celtest depot?”

“Most powerful and wise Wizard of command, we just arrived and have not begun landing operations. The individual with such information is on his way to you.”

“Begin landing operations and deploy Will Amplifiers.”

Another Kermac reported a hail from the planet.

Four insectoids appeared on the screen after the connection was made. Thanks to Brathering they received the necessary linguistic translation routines for their Tronics month ago.

“Intruders be warned, your acts of aggression are not tolerated. We are the Four Masters and demand that you retreat. We are not defenseless!”

“We are the Kermac and we are the true masters of everything you deplorable vermin. I expect you to reveal to us the location of the Celtest war depot and in return, you might be blessed to serve us, instead of being destroyed.”

Guards brought the Puup to the command center and into his presence.

“Speak without delay, report without sparing details and hope for my mercy.”

The Puup shrugged of the Kermac hands holding him and tried to present a more dignified position. “I am Indafanne Brathering, trusted ally and not a lackey.”

“Your usefulness hinges on the information you possess. We hope for your sake that you did not prematurely reveal yourself.”

“The answer and the way to the depot is known to the Anagoge. This person can be found following the instructions recorded in the Chronicles of the Seekers which are in the sealed library of the Fifth. I know where this library is.”

“And so do I as you are before Kermac, and your feeble mind is open to me. Cosporus is not where the library is, but on Trokiht, the homeworld of these Insectoids. Cosporus is but an old colony so it appears.”


We were still on course to the next star and for now, it was us who led the shrinking convoy. Mao said I am detecting massive Hyper jump signatures form the star system we are heading for, Captain. SHIP helped me calculate, it looks like over seven thousand spaceships with old-fashioned Hyperjump drives just jumped into that system.”

Shea had her face inside the tele-observation bubble and she said.”That star is an A-II supergiant without planets. There is a high probability that fleet is jumping from gravity well to gravity well and that AII is only a stop gap, the next stop would be Corspa system, with Cosporus planet and all the Kermac.”

Mao kept looking on his panels.”Say is it just me or has our shrinking convoy gained members? Without the T Cruiser, we should be seven not counting us, but we still have eight contacts following us.”

Alarmed I said.”Kermac? Unless they gained a Tech level and our Intel is that far off, they should not be able to scan into Quasi-space.”

“Narth also looked over the scan and sensor report. “This signature is inconsistent with Kermac enticers, it appears someone simply transitioned with the rest of us. Sensing other within a given distance of entangled photons while in the same quantum or Quasi-state is however within the technological capabilities of civilizations reaching Tech level 6 and the sensing distance increases with each Tech level. It is described in great detail in Lickman’s disert...”

I interrupted my brainy friend or he would have started quoting the entire scientific paper.”Mr. Narth thank you for this explanation. Can we determine who it is that follows us?”

“Not with the data available, but having Trontigmakader signatures on file the denizens of Cosporus can be eliminated.”

Elfi gestured towards a pulsing light on her console.”The Red Dragon is hailing on open channels and thus everyone within range.

The Red Dragon no longer relied on his mask and exposed his face, revealing that he was not only Thauran but the disgraced Union admiral. While we had this fact already confirmed by DNA evidence, to me it was the final proof. The last time I had seen him was in a courtroom at Lorman’s Starbase.

He said with an angry tone. “I am getting weary of this. No one said it would be easy to get to the Celtest depot, otherwise, others would have found it already. Sandovahl’s Killerbeast has sustained damage and is in need of repair and several of us still need fuel and provisions. Without the traitorous Puup as a local guide, anyone knows where to go?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.