Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)
Chapter 7: Departure

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

After I was reunited with my friends and my ship we left Karthanian space and returned to the

space dock of Fantlemo Brthail. The Karthanian engineer had returned with us. He told us, that with the First Engineer active, the old Guildmasters would be swept away; and he realized that he no longer wanted to be a Guild leader. He rather returned to Itheamh and helped rebuild it and run his space dock. In order to maintain our cover, he reverted to his alter ego of Fantlemo Brthail and only reveal himself after the Dragon and his associates were well on their way.

I took the opportunity to take a long swim and slept an entire eight hours.

Refreshed as can be and quite hungry I went for the Den to have some breakfast.

I found Krabbel, the Golden, Xon, Warner and the Suit there. Apparently, Krabbel was teaching them the game of Chess.

I looked over the board he had set up and explained the others about the moves each game piece could make.

I quietly sat down with the intention not to disturb them, but that turned out to be impossible because Fenris winged down from somewhere and screeched excited, while Mr. Eeeryt placed a covered tray before me.”SHIP promised me to let me know when you come for your meals, Captain. You all had us worried once again.”

“Thank you, Mr. Eeeryt. I try to do that less, I promise.”

The group around Krabbel interrupted their chess learning session and Xon said.”We all know how formidable you are, but I must admit I was concerned as well.”

“Xon, I am glad to be back as well. Your Life-giver made sure the Karthanians will reconsider any future abduction. Having a platoon of angry Nul doing the complaining, I have no doubt they understood.”

Somehow I knew the alien Nul looked pleased.”Our All Leader made you a member of the household and technically you are a Nul now.”

I uncovered the dish and revealed a bowl of fish soup and fresh bread. While I inhaled the savory scent wafting in warm steam into my face, I said with a smile.”That makes me the only Neo Viking- Nul with future Narth aspirations in the Universe, I am certain.”

Har-Hi who just joined us made a praying gesture.”The spirits of the Galaxy! A Neo Viking Nul barbarian with Narth powers.”

They laughed at that.

Specialist Senhadjii, who earned his field commission to Ensign interrupted our conversation as his voice came over Intership, he was for the first time holding the Conn. As he was deadly serious about Helm he spend much time on the bridge and I had Har-Hi put him on the second tier roster.

“Captain, we just received a Myon message from the Red Dragon. He wants to meet everyone that was present at the meeting in the Tavern to proceed to N’Ger. He wants to get his project started.”

“So, he managed to get away from Itheamh after all.”


It took us two days to reach Eller’s system. I came onto the bridge after SHIP told me we were about to reach our newest destination.

It was technically not my shift, the bridge officers of the First Watch were there. SHIP holding the CONN, manning OPS and Helm. A birdlike individual I had seen during meetings sat behind the NAV station. I knew he was an Utelle and called a planet in the Andromeda galaxy home. I also remembered his name was Orkis, I had not spoken to him more than a few words since we started our journey.

According to Har-Hi he was dependable and had a decent Helm rating of 604.

The Delicate specialist Brana Noleii was working at the science station. Of course, I recognized Ensign Dybur on Tactical and realized there was a second Thauran that was part of my crew, also female. She was operating the Comm equipment. A tiny human stood on the Security panel. I was almost certain it was Ensign Salhof.

SHIP’s avatar got up from the Command seat and sat down in the empty OPS chair.”We are approaching Eller’s star captain. The second orbit belongs to planet N’Ger. Do you want me to call the senior officers to the bridge?”

“Not yet, SHIP. I think the First watch can handle it. Mr. Orkis what is our ETA?”

The Utelle did not turn to address me.”Captain, we will drop out of Quasi in 12 minutes and will be within thirty light minutes to the Heliopause of Eller’s star.”

“Ms. Dybur anything noteworthy on the scanners?”

“There are energy signatures of seventeen contacts that appear to be spaceships within sensor range and within the Eller system. Nine are in acceleration towards threshold speed. Two seem to have arrived and are decelerating and six are in orbit around the second planet. The two approaching the second planet and four of the ones in orbit are known energy signatures and belong to starships we have encountered before. There are more energy signatures on several celestial objects. Most of them located on the second planet.”

The Delicate said.”The star is stable, and a standard GIII. No sensor data suggests the exchange of weapon fire or similar hostilities.”

“SHIP do call Sobody on the bridge. I like to know more about N’Ger.”

“Sobody is on his way, Captain.”

I waited for the subtle glimmer of our optical sensors switching from Quasi-space to real space as we dropped out of this other space-time continuum into our own universe and then asked the other Thauran.”I don’t think I ever really noticed you.”

“I was only recently advanced to Bridge duty, Captain Ma’am. While you are here, I like to express my pride and gratitude to be on this ship. There will be a time I can tell my grandchildren that I was part of all this.”

“I am glad you think so, we might just have to follow that cursed Red Dragon half across the galaxy.” I leaned forward.”What I said to Ensign Dybur goes for you as well. I was serious about this.”

“Yes, Ma’am and we all think that is really special, but I am not Thauran. I never felt discriminated. My father was a Blue and my mother comes from Mars.” She laughed.”That should explain my rather nice blue complexion, but I lack the natural gorgeous coppery hair of my friend Daia, I mean Ensign Dybur of course. Mine is a mousy brown, so I added some color. It matches my nail color too, but I am not so sure what kind of lip color...” She covered her mouth.”I am so sorry, Captain. This doesn’t belong on the bridge. It is only that...”

Ensign Dybur shushed her and said to me.”When she gets started talking, she hardly ever stops.”

“Well, it might be a good trait to have, being in communications.” I grinned and then focused on Sobody who came on the bridge.

“Sorry to cut your off time short, Mr. Sobody but we are here and I really like to know more about N’Ger. There isn’t all that much in our files and we are once more beyond GalNet range.”

“No worries, Captain. It is me who wanted be part of this and I am very glad you let me do just that.”

He sat down in what became his seat and put his hand to his chin.”N’Ger is an independent world for a very long time. Taking the Galactic Core as a reference point and looking at it from the Z plane.

this system is Galactic West. N’Ger, its sun and a handful of stars are located in what they call the Wedmar’s Triangle. The system is more or less wedged between the Jooltar, Togar and the Shattered Kingdoms.”

He still held his chin as he was recalling what he knew.”Being between three big and expanding space-faring civilizations and within reach of a dozen small ones, N’Ger and two other planets in this region became the focal point of commerce and politics. It became a melting pot of cultures. N’Ger is famous and known through all four sectors of the Galaxy. If I recall it correctly N’Ger is at the innermost limit of Eller’s Goldilocks zone and has a very arid and hot climate. There are two very salty oceans. A rich biosphere developed out of Thiobacillus.

Both stationary and mobile life forms exist. The biggest is the Yellow Hexapod. A three-ton six leg herbivore.

It is used both as a beast of burden and for meat. There are a few thousand tons of that meat going through my bazaar.”

I listened and gave the Helmsman the okay to increase speed and to enter the system. Then I said.”Don’t let me interrupt you, Sobody. I find your knowledge very helpful and your ability to remember all those details quite impressive.”

He smiled and went on. “A sentient life form evolved from a smaller six-limbed omnivore life form, the Byki, better known as the Yellow Heads. It is sort of a curse word elsewhere. They don’t travel much of planet and are not the most pleasant species to deal with.”

SHIP lowered a second screen to the left of the main viewer and displayed the image of a yellowish bi pedal four armed creature. The displayed being was no taller than the Golden.

Sodoby pointed to the image of the being. “Their world, N’Ger derives from their native language which includes a clicking sound.

It was the Ongloran Federation that made first contact with the Byki about 10,000 of your Union years. Most sources agree and think it was the Ongloran who assisted them to ascent.

When the Ongloran Federation vanished, this region of space saw much fighting. It was Emperor Wedmar of the Oghr empire who established a free trade zone, a buffer zone between the Togar, Jooltar, and Oghr. Basically the same idea as Freespace, just in a much smaller scale and protected by Oghr military, it became known as Wedmar’s Triangle.”

Har-Hi and right after him the rest of my senior officers came to the bridge and exchanged seats with the First Watch officers. It was a quiet and smooth change.

I gave Har-Hi a mocking scolding gaze.”I didn’t call you guys. I was perfectly fine with the First Watch officers.”

“Yes, and regulations require senior officers to be on the bridge if the captain is. We never observe much of any regulations, so I like to maintain the ones you have not specifically circumvented.”

“I am not circumventing regulations. I might have a different interpretation to a few of those. Now I am getting scolded on my own bridge by my XO.”

He sighed.”Sorry Captain, but you started the scolding thing.”

Now I sighed.”No one ever is going to say something like that to Harris.”

“But then regulations are much more seriously observed on the Devi.”

“Sit down then, Mr. Hi. Our expert is advising me about N’Ger.”

Sodoby was laughing.”And I thank the gods that it was you who responded to our distress call. Fate allowed me to be part of this crew.”

“Mr. Sobody please keep telling me about N’Gerand don’t encourage them too much or one day they disrespect me for real.”

Sobody became serious.”They rather die than do that.”

“About N’Ger?”

He collected himself.”Where was I? Ah yes, the Oghar emperor. While Wedmar is long gone and the Oghr feud among themselves, this region is still known as Wedmar’s Triangle, it established the region as a sort of neutral ground where trade could be done. It is no longer protected by Oghr military, just by tradition I think.”

He waved with his right hand. “Anyway, N’Ger became a trade center and rich in the process. Eleven Merchant House Cities center on the Glaring Desert. This what they call a large salt flat with markets, slums, small communities, and landing fields.

The Eleven Merchant House Cities and the Emperor of the Byki rule the local planets and enforce local law.

Moons Motee and Wesma have been Oghr forts since Wedmar’s time and are still home to Oghr mercenaries who are paid by the Merchant Houses. The most unique feature of N’Ger security is provided by the Ug-Ka Dai. Their Dai Mother has been in orbit around N’Ger (like a third moon) for centuries. Dai Fighters are the main reason, no raid or attack on N’Ger was ever successful.”

Har-Hi snorted. “The Ug-Ka are real Okthi. Their Dai Mother’s heart died many centuries ago and thus remain here, but they are still Dai. I don’t recommend we start a fight with them unless we can expose our true self.”

“Alright, let’s try to stay on their good side then.”

Elfi said. “We are being hailed by one of the ships in orbit. It is the Red Dragon.”

Har-Hi handed me my mask and said.”Back to business, Captain?”

“Back to business, Mr.Hi.”

I gave Elfi a sign to connect me.

The Red Dragon appeared on our main viewer and he said. “Ah Captain Velvet, you got my Myon message and it looks you managed to get your ship out of space dock before the Union goons looked to close.”

“Indeed and it looks like you did the same, slipped right under their scanners.”

“I think they were to busy with the Karthanian situation. Might come to war between Union and Karthania, but I don’t care. I am ready to get on the way, are you?”

“Yes, this is why I am here. I don’t really want to stay for weeks on end on N’Ger. Either we go soon or I start hunting on my own again.”

“I don’t even land. Meateater’s Intruder is right next to me and well repaired. Captain Carrhrh arrived only moments before you as did Brathering with the Uhuin. Crimson Curse is just lifting off N’Ger and will join us in orbit momentarily. The Jooltar Basoro is on his way and should be here within the next ten hours. The Shadoom and Captain Rkkkz didn’t make it, he met a Union Cruiser and that was the end of him. The rest will be here shortly. Whoever is not by tomorrow stays behind.”

“Suits me.”


“It is official now. Captain,” Krabbel said. “We are now in unexplored space. No Union Fleet ship has ever come this far Coreward.”

I was just walking on the bridge. We had left N’Ger twenty days ago and kept a steady course Coreward and would soon leave the Perseus Arm and fly across the gap to the Cygnus Arm of our Galaxy.

And then we would be almost exactly opposite of the Orion Arm were Earth and much of the Union space was. Still, we had much space to cross before we reached the Downward Sector.

TheOther got up from the Conn finishing his first duty watch on that position. “Specialist Lancaster broke his arm during a Container kicking match in Hangar A, no other casualties. Lt. Neugruber’s team ‘The Tremor Avalanche’ won 3 to 2 over Prince Xon’s ‘Gray Stompers’. Other than that there is nothing to report, Captain.”

The Nul now sitting at Communications turned his dome-shaped head around and said. “A rematch is planned for tomorrow night and I am certain we even that score.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.