Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)
Chapter 3: Smelter Moons

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

“Well, we are well past GalNet range.” Circuit said sitting behind his console. He had insisted to come along, as this was a real Karthanian freighter and not my own marvelous ship disguised as one.

I had contemplated taking the Tigershark, as the Janus mask could have been easily adjusted, but I wanted Har-Hi to have all its resources available, as I was convinced he had to face more than just old-fashioned atomic bombs.

“Might be as well, Mr.Circuit. It will prevent me to call back every five minutes and give Har-Hi the impression I am second guessing everything.”

Narth quite fascinated with his first real disguise said. “I am certain this is what he feels you are doing, regardless of you being able to call.”

“This is a strange thing to say, Mr.Narth, I have full confidence in him and every one of my crew. He is not just my friend, but my XO. I am certain he will do just fine.”

“I share your confidence in him, but I also know him. He looks up to you and will question his decisions, hoping the results will please you. It appears this is the case with almost every one of your crew.”

I silently sighed and hoped Har-Hi would not be hampered by that. “Almost?”

“I am not prying into the minds of Union citizens, I am making this observation based on comments and my familiarity with a person. I am not familiar enough with many of our crew to make this judgment on everyone.”

“I see, Mr. Narth.” Then I leaned forward in my command seat. “How long till we reach that first smelter moon?”

Mao in his Oghr disguise checked his readouts and said.”Twenty-two hours, Captain.”

“I was under the impression those moons were close.”

Circuit responded. “They are for the Tigershark, even for the Silver Streak, but this bucket does not have ISAH pods and in Union terms, we are crawling.”

Sobody, who had been to the Smelter Moons before was also part of my team said. “What are we doing when we reach it?”

“Destroy any means of long-range communication, free the slaves and go back.”


The truth was, I did not have a detailed plan. I knew too little about the actual conditions on these Smelter Moons, despite the detailed descriptions of those who had been there before. None of the reports and descriptions were recent and conditions could have changed, but I had a shipload of former slaves, Ithe rebels and ten of my marines. Not to mention Narth, Mao, Xon, Roghor, and Sobody.

The last twenty-one hours had passed without any incident. We were now in Karthanian space and had noticed a few sensor contacts, but none changed course, hailed us or paid any interest in us.

Mel, the human boy and both his Dai friends came on the bridge.

Mel stared at the viewer, the star Liprois now prominent and at its center. It was a Karthanian system and contained three of the Smelter Moons, one of which was called Olx and our intended destination.

He had the youthful features of a human male who seemed to be not even twenty years of age, yet there was also the uncanny appearance of an old man in his facial features. His eyes had the haunting expression of someone who had seen the worst. Having heard his story, I was convinced he did.

“We are almost there are we not?” He asked.

“Yes, less than 50 minutes and we will reach Olx.”

Grtonner, the Karthanian now also appeared. He had dressed into a pink and red uniform like outfit, with finger thick swirling seams all around his upper torso. Before I could ask, he said. “This is a guild member costume, most of the guards are Oghr and to them, we look alike. None of them will dare ask me for credentials. I had planned to do something even before you arrived and help my friends to escape the smelter moon.”


The entire region of space was in a state of panic. The Togar mobilized every resource and ship.

All nine shattered kingdoms, even the Orkh-Oghr who usually considered themselves the strongest species, tried to remember if there was anything they did in the recent past making them the target of this unprecedented display of military might.

The Oghr troops that weren’t lost were recalled and Karthania received an apology from the Oghr king that there was no military unit to be spared at the moment.

Admiral Stahl’s suggestion to show a “little” strength in that previously neglected region of space was overwhelmingly approved by the Assembly and by Assembly decision received additional assets and directives.

What was originally planned to be a joint military exercise with the Nul, was now a full-blown military expedition. The Assembly expressly authorized the Fleet to engage Dai, Shiss raiders, known slavers, pirates and independent planets that were known to be hideouts or safe harbors for criminals.

Union media called it the Day of Reckoning, as this region was technically an extension of Freespace, but not part of the official treaty. Both Karthania and Togr were well known to trade Human slaves.

The Togar queen, the Karthanians and the Kermac had sent envoys to the Assembly after reports of the tremendous armada traveling in their general direction spread like wildfire across the region.

The senior envoy of the Togar was first and called before, the Assembly. While she was the sister of the queen and used to vast power, she felt insignificant and small as she stood at the so-called Focus center of the Assembly sphere.

All reports she had heard and seen about the Union paled in comparison of the real thing.

Nothing in all her life had prepared her for the splendor of Pluribus Unum or the immense battleships that escorted the Togar ship.

And now she stood at that center inside the Assembly sphere and it was the most frightful experience in all her life. The inside walls of this immense sphere were lined with many thousands upon thousands of alcoves and each contained the representative of a Union members society.

As she looked around, she corrected herself. Not thousands, but tens of thousands. This immense hall; it’s apex twelve thousand meters above and it’s nadir at the same distance below her, was èerily quiet. The air was cool and free, of any scent.

The atmosphere of it all was almost religious and one could almost physically feel the true power of the Union, especially standing here on an almost invisible, shimmering energy platform, at its very center. This spot so she had learned only moments ago was called the Focus. And the focus she was, of trillions of eyes staring at her, from the alcoves as well as of the many Union citizens that had turned in on GalNet.

A laughable, weak Holdian, a member of a species she considered nothing more than a source of tasteful snacks, stood on a force field platform hovering not far from her. The Holdian wore a roble like garment and this rodent vermin was obviously neither impressed nor afraid of her.

She raised her voice.” I am Kulai, sister of the Queen of Togr. I demanded to see a diplomatic representative of the Union. I did not expect to come before this collection of ... beings. I also care not to be in the presence of a minuscule rodent. Have you not a more impressive species?”

The Holdian, for some reason, was able to look at her in the most arrogant fashion, despite his small stature and alien face.

“You are seeing the diplomatic representation of the United Stars of the Galaxies, Togar. The Union has done away with special diplomats and ambassadors. Every Union citizen is an ambassador and every Union citizen has a right to decide what contracts, treaties, and decisions are made on behalf of the Union.

Your government sent you with a request or a message. Now deliver it. You are an envoy, disrespect me again and I shall see if there is human or Holdian DNA in your digestive tract and we simply hang you for murder.”

The Holdian hovered a little closer. “I may be a minuscule rodent by nature, but I am the duly elected Speaker of the Assembly and by this grace and calling, my little voice resonates the will and resolve of the Union.

You are not Union and thus I will overlook your first insult. Stature and size mean little in our beloved Union. Be it Camogi or Bandrupo, we are all Union Citizen and that means everything to us.” He mimicked the gesture of her. “Now state your business.”

She straightened her stance and said. “It has come to our attention that there is an armada of Union and Nul origin moving into space that is not Union and will be within range of the Togr realm in only weeks at the current speed. We demand to know your intentions. Is this a prelude to war?”

An alcove was painted with a spotlight and a white Nogoll was getting up. His voice was not amplified yet she was sure everyone could hear it. “I am the chairman of the security council to the assembly and I will answer your question.”

Of all being, she thought it was an insult well planned to have her addressed by a Nogoll. Togar disliked most other beings, but the Nogoll especially. These beings only redemption was their excellent taste.

The Nogoll spoke. “The constant threat of war between the Union and the Nul has ended and our joint governments decided to demonstrate our cooperation to all societies that our focus and energies are no longer directed against each other. Our Union has never started a war, but you may take the following resolution to your Queen. This Assembly is tired of hearing the laments of family members who lost loved ones to slavers and knowing they ended up on Togar markets to be purchased and devoured. Should our fleet come across a vessel of any nation or society that carries Union citizens against their will, it will be considered an act of war and the commanding officer of that Armada has the full authority to retaliate with all force. These are the instructions this Assembly gave to our Spatial Navy ratified by a Union-wide vote.”

The Togar envoy, of course, knew there were many Togar ships in space and some had humans destined for Togr aboard. She also had no illusions what such a declaration would mean.”

“This is not space claimed by the Union or anyone and whatever business our vessel have or whatever freight they carry is not of Union concern. There are other societies that feel equally strong about this situation.”

The light singled out another alcove. The Togar gasped as she noticed a Xandrao.

The bovine shaped representative had a clearly amused tone in his deep voice. “The Togar openly hinted of war against the Xandrao for many decades. The Togar never talked or cared about others and now you invoke notions of common interests with others? The envoys of Karthania are right behind you and so is the delegation of the Kermac. Let us hear from them if they indeed declare to be allies of Togr and deny us the right to do whatever we want in unclaimed space, including protecting the fundamental rights and safety of our citizens, which includes Xandrao.”

The Kermac envoy stepped forward. “The Circle of wizards and the Grand Wizard of Kermac and in extension the Galactic Council is satisfied with the explanation for the Union maneuvers. We disagree on much, but slavery and related practices are not among the subjects we oppose the Union.”

The Karthanian also spoke. “There are no Karthanian ships or interests past our sphere. We do not welcome Union ships within our borders, but what they do beyond is not of Karthanian concern.”

The Togar envoy bowed slightly. “I shall take this to the Queen and extend my thanks to the Assembly and the Union for receiving us.”

The Nogoll was not finished and addressed the Karthanian.”No Karthanian product will be allowed to cross into Union space. No Karthanian trader or any other associates of yours will be allowed to do business within Union space. Union Banks will cease to accept Katris and freeze all credit assets held by Karthanians. You make products using Union citizens as slaves until we have clear and convincing evidence that this is no longer the case, these sanctions will remain in place.”

The Karthanian was unprepared for this.”This is unprecedented, we always were allowed to do business with you.”

“Are you denying that Union citizens are bought and put to slave labor by your society?”

“I am not aware of this practice. An investigation will be conducted if your accusations are true.”

A thin female got up.”Then it will come to no surprise to you that we also conduct an investigation and if this Assembly receives any confirmed report of any Union slaves within Karthanian space, I assure you our battleships will care not if they are welcome or not.”


OLX

“I thought the Trash Island on Sin 4 was hell,” I said while looking over the truly depressing landscape that presented itself on our viewer as we descended towards the landing field. “But this place takes the cake.”

Our hail had been answered by an automated system that gave us landing permission. No one actually bothered to contact us.

The surface, as far I could see was covered by industrial buildings. Not shiny, new or clean but dark, covered with sud and grime, belching out of a forest of smokestacks.

There was nothing alive out there, the only bright colors were projected by the many fires and smelter pits.

This place was indeed a moon and it was in orbit around a similar dirty looking rock planet. The fourth one counting from the local sun.

Mel sighed.”I never thought I would see this again.”

Mar-To the older of the two Dai said. “Welcome to Olx.”

Moments later we touched down and I saw a group of Oghr approaching from a nearby building. They all carried prods and whips. Two of them guided a hover platform between them, loaded with arrestor cables and neck rings.

Another being emerged from that building and it was riding some sort of small personal flyer. The being was a Karthanian and dressed just like Grtonner.

Along with Grtonner and the others, we went down into the Cargo hold. There was no stench this time and the cages were not locked and filled with former slaves and Ithe.

The boarding ramp lowered with a high pitched whine.

It hadn’t even opened all the way as the local Karthanian swooped in and landed his little bike sized craft more or less right before me. “Get your cargo out on the double, there is lots of work and this is most likely the last batch we get from Itheamh.”

I asked. “How come? We are loaded to the brim, but there are ten thousands more to be transferred.”

“You stupid Thauran wench, you and your crew will be lynched if you go back. The Drak are no longer in control and there won’t be any Oghr armies to restore order.”

“What splendid news indeed. I guess my friends worked even faster than I could have hoped for.”

The Karthanian was too alien for me to really judge his reaction, but I doubted he felt very good as he saw the cages opening and instead of naked slaves, a stream of beings armed to the teeth.

It took less than five minutes, the local Karthanian and his Oghr overseers were now inside the cages, still not locked, because none of them would ever move on its own again.

I wanted to do it subtle and with as much stealth as possible, but unlike my friends the fighters I had brought along did not listen to my commands, were unstoppable and swarmed like a host of demons out the ship and inside the building.

I cursed myself for not anticipating that. I was used to Union soldiers and the fleet. They might have accepted my command authority back on Itheamh especially with Ninety there, but despite my yelling and warning, they had simply ignored me, screaming with unbridled anger and emotions.

I realized I was not as experienced as I wanted to believe I was.

Narth popped out of thin air right next to me, still holding what was technically my TKU. It’s discharging ring glowing bright red.

“One hopes you have another energy pack. I depleted this one.”

I handed him one of my spares and asked. “Your psionics don’t work here?”

“I just located you and teleported right next to you, giving evidence that the crude Psionic dampening they do use here is not effective at all. Thus this evidence should answer your question.”

“First the bunch of ex-slaves ignores me and then my best friend decides to point out my stupid question. I doubt no one ever pointed that out to Stahl.”

“I depleted the weapons energy to melt the local communication facilities and decided to use it to discourage the local operators from preventing me doing this. I never used a TKU outside of mandatory training or at power setting twelve.”

I rushed inside the building complex, with Narth still next to me. Since Narth had my blaster, I carried a Karthanian line bolter, which was more or less a copy of the Kermac main sidearm. It was nowhere near Union TKUs but so far there was nothing to shoot. There were mangled and torn bodies of overseers everywhere.

I said to Narth. “You do know this is one of the old style TKUs, right and level 12 is enough to fell attacking Y’All under shields.”

“I am aware of this now and one is revising his opinion about weapons, they are useful indeed.”

The building was clearly some sort of slave training and induction facility, with rows of concrete benches, attached shackles and a huge view screen. The screen was smashed, and so was everything breakable in sight. The rear of the hall featured four open cage style elevators. All four shafts were leading down.

Just as we reached the shafts, a blood-curdling war cry came from below. It seemed hundreds of voices, all at once. The cry was in Dai Than and meant vengeance.

“Can you get us down there?”

I finished the word ‘there’ while my surroundings had changed already. We were on a metal walkway, with a perforated floor. To the right countless rows of prison like cells, the doors open.

To the left an immense chasm of many hundred meters. I counted 25 tiers with the same long rows of slave cells.

At the ground floor, which seemed an area where slaves were fed as I deducted from the tables and demolished serving counters. Dead, mangled and charred bodies of overseers, guards, and a few slaves were strewn everywhere.

As I looked up, I saw more rows of cells. “How many slaves did they keep here?”

“In this facility, approximately 25,000. The slave population of this moon numbers 6.5 million according to their computronic records.”

“Six point five ... million?” It began to dawn at me just how stupid I really was. I cursed silently as my impulsive action to leave my own ship light years away, not even with a real plan. Especially not wasting a single thought on the actual extent of my actions.


It was over sooner than expected but still took over a day. The Smelter moon Olx had fallen. I learned there had been just a little over one hundred thousand guards and overseers. In itself a big number, but not enough to quell a full-blown slave revolt, supported by an army of ten thousand armed and angry ex-slaves. Narth and Circuit had not only disabled the moon’s communication facilities but disabled the computronic systems that governed the automated slave worker containment and control systems.

Without control over the punishment collars, sentry guns and force field curtains the guards stood no chance.

Among the slaves were more than eight thousand Dai, even some of them had been born on the moon they fought with a veracity that was frightening.

The moon itself was a sizeable celestial body without a breathable atmosphere, very low temperatures, and nothing even remotely in terms of native life.

The actual smelter and factory complex was a sprawling city-sized compound with most of it deep underground.

The guards and overseers, for the most part, didn’t seem to live in conditions much better than the slaves, in a forcefield and sentry gun protected part of this city-sized factory. Only the small portion of Karthanian managers and engineers lived in relatively good conditions, but still in rather depressing surroundings.

Just like on Itheamh there were vast fields of shipwrecks and mountain-sized heaps of stacked scrap pieces. Simple warehouses were filled with salvaged parts, plastics, spaceship parts, and large container sized crates with waste materials.

I stood in the heavily damaged office of the Smelter Moon manager. He was one of the few survivors. Most guards had found their fate thrown in the huge smelter furnaces that gave this moon its name.

With me were Narth, Sobody, Xon, and the Dai, Mar-To.

The Karthanian manager was wounded and beaten up. He wore crude applied bandages and a blinking slave collar around his rigid neck. He had not spoken a single word so far.

Grtonner came in, wearing his Guild member costume, this time the manager reacted. “Traitor! Wearing the regalia of a guild master and collaborating with Xenos, is even more offensive than what has been done to this facility of the Hull Builders. That you are a slave worker, freed by this scum from Itheamh is obvious but where did you get these garments of an Engine Builder?”

“They were bestowed to me. I am Grtonner Icylemh, the rightful Guild Master of the Engine Builders. Yes, I have been a slave on this moon, many years ago. Sent here in bonds and in shame, betrayed by your master. We freed many thousand Karthanians today, all sent here for voicing their content and opposition against the dictatorship that holds our proud and ancient civilization hostage for so long.

In your slave pens and in all my years of exile, I found friends among those called Xenos. The reign of the Hull Builders is about to end and the First Engineer will punish you all for what you did.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.