Too Many Secrets - Cover

Too Many Secrets

Copyright© 2019 by jake60

Chapter 20

It was Wednesday morning, two days after Yvonne had rocked Matti with her confessions about how she and Dawn had become involved with the Wolverines, and how they had been employed as dancers in southern Ontario strip clubs. They had spoken briefly about her story when Matti felt it was necessary to clarify a point, or get more detail from her. She had willingly helped him out with the information he needed, but then left him alone to process everything he had learned about Dawn in the last few days.

Matti had just woken up, and was just about to enter the bathroom when he heard the doorbell, and the sounds of Yvonne going to answer it. He had just put toothpaste on his toothbrush when the shouting started. He could tell that there was a deeper male voice, along with Yvonne’s higher pitched one.

He was starting to go see what was happening when he heard Yvonne say, “No! I said no!”

The male voice quickly replied, “You damn well will! This is your last chance!

Matti was in the hallway, trying to walk quickly as he was getting concerned by the angry shouting, and he heard Yvonne say, “No! And that’s final!”

It was no longer than one or two seconds later that he heard a gunshot, and a scream from Yvonne. He was just turning the corner towards the entryway when there was a second shot and he burst onto the scene. Yvonne was already on the floor, and he could see blood on her back, and a small pool of it under her head. Matti was shocked and horrified by the scene in front of him, and if he had been in total control of his wits he might have jumped back into the hallway, out of sight of the man standing there with the gun. That wasn’t the case, though, and before Matti could think to do it, the man in front of him aimed the gun at Matti and pulled the trigger.

A blazing fire had been lit in Matti’s side, and he found himself falling to the floor, with the gunman standing about 10 feet away from him. The man had on a hoodie that was framing his face, and a thin scarf, perhaps originally wrapped to conceal his lower face, was hanging loose below his chin. All that Matti could see as he heard the gun fire again was a familiar face with a black eye-patch over its left eye. It was the last thing he saw, as everything immediately faded to black.


There was a rhythmic noise, and it seemed to come from nowhere in particular. Everything was black, and when he tried to force his eyes open, everything stayed black. His right hand was warm, the only part of him that felt warm, and as the rhythmic noise began to fade away something touched his right cheek.


The rhythmic noise seemed to come from nowhere, very quietly at first, but getting louder. It was on his left ... maybe. A bright light, so bright that it seemed like a dozen suns, seared his left eye. A moment later the same bright light attacked his right eye. His eyes wouldn’t reopen, no matter how he tried, and as he tried he could hear murmurs around him. His right hand was warm, and later something touched his left cheek. There were more murmurs around him, and then the constant rhythmic noise began to fade away.


The rhythmic noise was back, and this time he could recognize the sound. It was an infusion pump, and he last heard one when his father made his last, one-way, trip to the hospital. It was the regular cycling of the pump he was hearing, and he could tell the pump was on his left. He was confused still, wondering why he could hear it, but he could see nothing. Whenever Matti tried to open his eyes it was as though they had been glued shut. He tried once more, and a flash of light momentarily rewarded him. He tried again, but this time there was no reward. His eyes were glued shut again.

He tried to focus on other things he was feeling, especially the warmth in his right hand. As he concentrated on it, he could suddenly feel that there was movement there, and the sudden sensation of cool air on the back of his hand. Moments later he could tell there was a hand on his forehead. It was a nurse, checking on him! Everything fit now. The sounds, the sensations, and even the scent that was becoming noticeable to him now, told him where he was. Matti tried to raise his left hand, and although he got the sensation of movement, it was restricted, and his hand couldn’t help him open his eyes. He tried his right hand, with the same result, but this time he heard a voice, perhaps excited, saying his name, although the words were very muffled.

After a couple more attempts, he got his eyes to open again, for fractionally longer this time. A success! To celebrate, Matti tried to say something to the nurse, but his mouth wasn’t working properly. He must have made a sound, though, because he could hear his nurse call out his name excitedly. A moment later, the warm sensation around his right hand disappeared, and something brushed his right cheek. He could sense he was alone now. Since nothing else seemed to work, he tried opening his eyes again, and this time he was rewarded with the blurry view of a tiled ceiling above him. He tried to move his head to let him see more, but it would only move fractionally to his right.

There was much more progress, though, in the next few minutes. A matronly blonde nurse had joined him quickly, just after he got his eyes working. She wet his lips with a sponge, and he was soon asking where he was, and why he was there. Confusion still ruled. Matti soon discovered his hands were tied down, explaining why he was unable to move them. His difficulty hearing was explained quickly when his left hand was freed and he moved it to his head, quickly discovering it was bandaged in a way that covered his ears. The nurse continued checking him over, taking blood pressure, oxygen levels, and listening to his heart with her stethoscope. It wasn’t long at all before she said she was leaving to get the doctor, and Matti could see that another nurse met her at the door to his room, a nurse with dark brown hair.

Matti was not required to wait long for the doctor’s visit. A cheerful man, slightly older than Matti, strode into the room quickly and confidently, performing simple tests with his very bright little flashlight, flashing it quickly into Matti’s eyes. That test was followed with another when he asked Matti to follow his hand as he moved it from side to side across Matti’s field of vision. A quick consultation was made with the blonde nurse, and Matti heard instructions regarding his medication, and that he was permitted to have something to eat and drink. Matti felt hungry, but he heard that he would be permitted nothing but water, juice, and Jell-O.

The doctor turned back to him and said, “It’s nice to have you back with us, Mr. McEwan. I think you’re going to be okay.” Before Matti could even think of a question or comment, the doctor exited the room as quickly as he had arrived.

The nurse was still there though, and she quickly released Matti’s right-hand from the restraint that held it, and said to him, “I’m going to leave you a glass of water. Try not to spill it. Take small sips for now, and I’ll arrange for some Jell-O and juice for you.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.