Too Many Secrets - Cover

Too Many Secrets

Copyright© 2019 by jake60

Chapter 10

Matti and Dawn had both been asleep for no longer than half an hour when the first crash of thunder seemed to shake the camp, while the flash of lightning lit up all of the rooms like a powerful strobe light. Less than a minute later these events were repeated. Rain was beginning to pour down, rattling off the windows and sluicing down the roof to form streams running from the eaves. It was loud enough to partially rouse Matti, who often slept through thunderstorms and heavy weather.

The third loud thunderclap was followed almost immediately by the sound of Dawn’s feet hitting the floor and the rustle of her movements as she hurried to Matti’s room.

It was either some noise Dawn had made, or maybe it was that sixth sense that people often have when they’re being watched, that made Matti open his eyes. When he did he could see what looked like an apparition wearing a white robe. He was momentarily startled, and immediately sat up completely. “What...”

He was interrupted by Dawn, and the anguish in her voice made sure he woke up completely. “I’m scared! Matti, I’m scared that lightning is going to hit us! What if it hits the camp?” Just as she finished speaking another flash of lightning, accompanied almost immediately by a loud crash of thunder, illuminated the room. Matti could see that Dawn was standing there wrapped in a sheet, and she appeared to be terrified.

Matti was about to try to comfort her with words of assurance when that latest bolt of lightning spurred Dawn to further action. Still wrapped in her sheet, she literally jumped under the covers with Matti, and buried her face in his chest. It felt completely natural for him to put his arms around her and pull her shaking body even closer to him. “Don’t be scared, Dawn. We’ll be safe. The lightning will strike the hill we were hiking on, or one of the big trees, before it will ever hit the camp.”

“I am sorry, Matti, but I just can’t get used to thunderstorms. They’ve always terrified me. Can I just stay with you until it stops?”

“Of course you can, Dawn. These storms usually only last half an hour or so before they move on.” Matti continued to hold her tightly for the next few minutes as the worst of the storm passed over them. When it seemed, minutes later, that the time between the flash of lightning and the roll of thunder was beginning to lengthen, he began rubbing her back, trying to soothe her. She was still getting tense with each loud crash, but slowly it seemed that she was relaxing a bit. Eventually he realized that Dawn had fallen asleep in his arms, and at first he intended to simply let her sleep until the low rumble of the thunder signalled that the storm was well to the east, and still moving. That may have been his intent, but before he could awaken her he drifted off to sleep himself, content with the scent of her shampoo and the grip of her arm around his back.


Matti awoke several times over the course of the night, and was surprised each time when he realized he wasn’t alone in his bed. Each time it took a few seconds for him to remember that Dawn had joined him because of the thunderstorm. He would also remember that he had intended to wake her up so that she could return to her own room, but each time he decided he rather enjoyed having her with him, and he let her continue to sleep.

It was still well before dawn when he partially awoke and discovered that Dawn had turned to face away from him. His hand was lying against her bare stomach, and he carefully moved it up to her equally bare right shoulder before he once again fell asleep.


The morning sun had just begun to light up the sky went Matti awoke the next time. Once again he was disoriented at first, but he soon realized that his hand that shifted once again during his sleep, and this time his hand had found its way to Dawn’s left breast. The realization woke him up completely, and he almost jerked his hand away. He was only able to stop himself from doing that by realizing a sudden movement might wake Dawn up, and the last thing he wanted to do was poison their relationship with accusations that he had taken advantage of her fear of thunderstorms. With that thought in mind he began to slowly move his hand away from its comfortable position, with the intention of moving it to a safe place between the two of them.

He only managed to move his hand an inch before Dawn said, “You don’t have to move your hand, Matti. I think I rather enjoy it being where it is. Just don’t think I planned this when the storm came up last night. I really do hate thunderstorms.”

Matti wasn’t sure what to say, but finally settled on, “As long as you’re sure, Dawn.” Her answer was to move her hand up over his, as a physical confirmation. They were both wide awake now, enjoying the moment. A few minutes later Dawn turned to face him, returning his hand to where it had been when she finished her move.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.