Too Many Secrets
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2019 by jake60

Matti spent the next two days taking care of his business. Using his list of priority needs, he placed orders for the necessary parts, pieces, and equipment. He was starting at the top of his list and working his way down. It was definitely possible to bite off more than he and Ernie could chew, so he limited himself intentionally. Some of the items were readily available, and would be on the Friday plane to the north, while the others would arrive over the course of the next several weeks. It was already apparent that he would have to make a trip north himself, probably with a specialized mechanic, as Ernie did not have unlimited talents. First, though, he would see what challenges would come up when Ernie received the first shipment. Almost certainly some additional piece or fitting would be needed, and there were always the problems caused by lack of proper tools to do the job. The next few weeks would be interesting times for Matti and his business. Whenever possible Matti paid cash for the items purchased, and the small stash hidden in his bathroom vanity dwindled quickly. He knew he would have to bring at least one more $10,000 bundle home with him on Sunday afternoon.


Precisely at the agreed-upon time, 3:30 in the afternoon, Matti parked in the visitors’ section of Dawn’s apartment building’s parking lot. He hurried in, knowing that she might need a hand with something. She had already told him that she was a little more prepared for the outdoors, and had spent several busy hours during the course of a couple of shopping trips. He was soon at her apartment door.

“Hello, Matti. Please come in. I’d like you to meet my roommate, Yvonne Rogers. I told you she was a flight attendant, didn’t I?” Matti was presented with quite a stunning view. Dawn was dressed in blue jeans and an almost matching blouse of slightly lighter blue. Her hair was once again in a ponytail, and she was wearing very little in the way of makeup. As Matti took in her appearance from top to bottom he noticed that she was wearing a new pair of brown hiking boots. Her friend Yvonne was dressed more casually in a white blouse with khaki shorts, and was wearing a pair of simple black slippers.

Yvonne was as good looking as Dawn, but had short blond hair and green eyes. If Matti had been asked to guess, he would have judged that she was about the same age as he and Dawn. He had already discovered that Dawn was not quite a year older than he was. After he was introduced to Yvonne she extended her hand to shake his, a tradition that was much less common lately he had noticed.

“So you are Matti, the man who Dawn has told me so much about. I’m looking forward to seeing the story of your unusual week, the one that Dawn has been working on. I was away from town, on a flight to Florida as a matter of fact, when all of that happened. She told me all about it, and gave me a DVD of the show, because I’m going to be flying again this weekend, and I’m looking forward to watching it when I get the chance.”

Matti realized he hadn’t even considered the show that Dawn had been working on and said, “I’ve been really busy, and I completely forgot about that being on this weekend. Is there any chance you can get me a copy, Dawn?” Matti was anxious to see how it turned out. He just wished that he hadn’t forgotten to set his PVR.

Dawn was grinning and said, “I have you covered, Matti. I have a DVD in my bag, and I’m bringing my laptop so that we can watch the show out at your camp. I really hope you like it.”

Matti was relieved and answered, “I guess I’m going to have to get a satellite dish out there, one day. Usually I sort of enjoy the fact that there are no distractions like TV at the camp.”

Yvonne giggled and said, “I think you chose the wrong place to make that comment, Matti. Dawn likes to think her work is better than just a ‘distraction’.”

Her comments got Dawn giggling as well, and after a few seconds Matti realized what he had said. He was a bit embarrassed as he corrected himself, “I ... didn’t really mean that everything on TV is a distraction. I just mean I ... enjoy getting away from the city, and all of the ... sounds of the city.” The two women were now showing their amusement at Matti’s tortured attempt to dig himself out of the hole he had created for himself. He obviously hadn’t been very successful, as he was only digging himself in deeper.

Dawn finally eased his discomfort as she said, “I know what you mean, Matti. It’s so relaxing being out in nature, instead of listening to all the traffic and ... other ‘distractions’ here in Thunder Bay.” She had managed to get one final dig in with her last statement.

Yvonne rescued everybody from the seemingly endless cycle of apologies, explanations, and verbal jousting that they had apparently embarked on. “I am really amazed that Dawn has connected with her previously unknown, inner, sports ... fisherperson. I guess that’s the politically correct way to refer to it. I’ve known Dawn for years, and I would never have guessed she was capable of keeping that side of herself hidden from me. Not just from me, either. She’s kept it hidden from even herself, I think. It’s almost all she’s talked about since you dropped her off here the other night. She was very insistent that I enjoy a meal that she not only prepared, but had caught as well.”

Matti was grinning as he answered, “I’m just glad I was able to provide the opportunity for that to take place. I’ve fished all of my life, and enjoyed pretty well every minute of it. Dawn isn’t the first person I’ve helped get started in the sport, but I have to say that she’s the most enthusiastic I’ve seen. She’s also very good at it. No offense, but I think she’s one of the very few women I’ve met who are willing to bait their hook, or remove the fish from it when they catch one.”

The three of them continued to chat for the next few minutes before Matti reminded them that they had a two hour drive ahead of them, and that they should get on the road. With that said, Matti and Dawn collected her various bags and equipment to take it all down to Matti’s truck. Included were her new fishing rod, a cooler, a medium-sized piece of luggage, a box, and her laptop bag. As they stood waiting for the elevator to arrive, Matti jokingly asked, “Which of these has the kitchen sink in it?”

Dawn’s answer was made in a voice full of faux indignation. “It’s a small sink, and it’s in my suitcase.” They were both laughing as they stepped onto the elevator.


The drive to Lake Watchanabi seemed to be over quickly, as the two of them spent the entire trip in casual conversation. In particular, Dawn talked a lot about her interview with him, and how well she thought it looked in its final form for broadcast. Her enthusiasm spilled over to Matti, and he was genuinely looking forward to seeing the DVD version once they got to the camp. A good portion of the drive was taken up with Matti’s explanation of more of the details of his business to Dawn. She seemed quite interested in what he had to say, and he suggested she should ask the station if they would like to have her do one of her in-depth reports on the drilling industry. He had always believed that very few people understood the business, and its relationship to the development of new mines, as well as its importance in the exploration for new mineral deposits.


They hadn’t made any sightings of wild game on the entire trip, and as they bounced along the rough lane from the mine road to the camp Dawn commented on that. “I’m all prepared for when we see some wildlife this time. I brought my digital camera with me, so we can get some quality pictures if we have the chance. Wouldn’t you know it; we didn’t see a single thing along the road on the way here.”

Matti just smiled and said, “It’s always when you least expect it. That’s been my experience, anyway. I’m sure we’ll find some subjects for you to capture for posterity.”


Once Dawn was settled into her room, and knew where the extra blankets and pillows were stored, they settled in the living room to allow Matti to explain to Dawn how to set up her rod and reel for the first time. The box she had brought contained a small tackle box with a number of items that the sporting goods store had recommended. Once the reel was on the rod, Matti showed her how to install the line, a leader, and how to organize her tackle box. She was an avid student, and insisted on doing everything herself, once Matti explained the procedures. When everything was together, it took all of Matti’s persuasive powers to convince her that they should have their supper first, and that after that they would go out on the dock and he would teach her various methods of casting her bait. He thought to himself that he had rarely seen anyone so anxious to learn everything they could about sport fishing.

Matti had brought a large pot of homemade stew that he had prepared at his apartment, and it was soon warming on the propane stove in the kitchen. Dawn had insisted on sharing the duties of bringing the necessary foodstuffs with them, and busied herself preparing a salad and bread for the meal. They shared the task of setting the table.

They were halfway through their meal when Matti said, “It’s obvious that you have a real interest in fishing, but what do you think of hunting? Do you think you’d be interested in hunting deer or moose?”

Dawn stopped eating and thought about it for a few seconds before she answered, “I’ve never thought about that. I’m not sure if I would care for eating wild game, and I know absolutely nothing about hunting. I would like to learn more about it before I make up my mind.”

They returned to their meal, both of them eating quietly, without much conversation, until Matti said, “As far as whether you’d care for eating wild game, how are you enjoying the stew?” He lifted his eyes to watch Dawn as she answered his question.

“I like the stew, Matti, but what does that ... Oh! What type of meat is this?” She had paused with her fork raised halfway to her mouth as she spoke.

“This is moose stew, Dawn. I hope you’re not upset that I didn’t tell you earlier. It just seems better to let people form their own opinion of the meat before they know what they’re eating. It sort of avoids any problem with perceptions over reality. Please be honest with me, because I can get you something else. This stew isn’t your only option.”

Dawn had been considering what Matti was saying while he spoke, and just a few seconds after he finished she resumed eating the stew. After eating a couple more portions of the meat she stopped and said, “It still tastes the same, now that I know what it is. I still like it. I think you’re right when you say that preconceptions could play a large part in whether someone enjoys eating wild game, or not.” When she had finished her meal she added, “I can tell now that it’s slightly different in taste from the beef that I thought it was. It’s just a different flavour.” With that information Matti was finally able to relax, as he had been concerned that his method may not have been appreciated.


After finishing the meal with tea and cookies, they quickly washed the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. It seemed to Matti that they worked well together, and his imagination was soon working overtime as he contemplated the directions their relationship could take. He was beginning to hope that perhaps their shared experiences at his camp might one day lead to them getting closer. One thing was certain, though - he fully intended to let Dawn control that decision for now. He didn’t want her to think he had convinced her to come to the camp for the weekend under false pretences. He just knew that would be a wrong move on his part.

As soon as the kitchen chores were completed, Dawn practically dragged him down to the dock, so that she could get started on further instructions on bait casting. They had just finished his explanations and demonstrations of the forehand, backhand, and overhead methods when Matti heard his satellite phone ringing. It was where he had left it, on the steps to the camp.

“You go ahead and practice, Dawn. I’m going to go and take this call. It could be important.” As he sprinted to the phone Dawn began practicing with an unbaited spinner at the end of the line.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.