Retribution - Cover

Retribution

Copyright© 2019 by MichaelT65

Chapter 4

The streets of Central London were flooded with shoppers. With the festive season getting nearer, the shops were packed. Wherever you looked, there were pedestrians with more bags then they can carry. Their arms were swinging backwards and forwards, as they leapt in and out of shops. Everyone was getting ready for Christmas. I don’t come to the West End to buy gifts or browse the shops. I walk the streets of London hoping to see two familiar faces. I am searching for Goliath and his boss.

Since the day my mother-in-law visited me. Every night, once darkness falls, I am like a vampire, who comes out only at night. The only place you will find me is in the West End. From Wood Green Station the train takes me to Covent Garden. From there I have a pattern I follow. I start Walking to Charing Cross then to Leicester Square. I take a break at Piccadilly Circus. There I sit at one of the restaurants or cafes, preferably by the window. I have a snack while I study each pedestrian that goes by. Then it’s off to Oxford Circus, ending my cycle at Tottenham Court Road. I go round in circles every night, without any success. It’s like looking for a pin in the haystack. The nearer it gets to Christmas. The streets get busier, making it more difficult to find them.

I change my routine once a week. Tonight I got off at Oxford Circus Station. I proceeded up the steps leading to the exit. Converging onto the crossroad of Oxford Street, Regent Street and Bond Street. All directions appeared to be more active tonight, due to the weekend. Standing at the edge of the pavement, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Slanted my head upwards, I take in the cold air through my nose. Opening my eyes, that is when I saw her. It was Julie in the form of an Angel, with her wings open, floating in the air. I stared at her, while my eyes became misty from the tears. A sudden nudge on my back knocked me off the pavement, into the road, in front of the incoming traffic. It was a pedestrian rushing past me. He accidentally collided into me. He continues walking, mumbling, “sorry,” not even turning back to see if everything was ok. An approaching black cab sounds its horn. I immediately jumped back onto the sidewalk. The vehicle drove past me, an angry cab driver inside the car was waving his hand, gestured me to get off the road. Once I knew I was safe on the pavement, I looked up to see the Christmas decorations, along Regents Street. It was an angel with her wings open. That is what I saw a minute ago, not Julie.

I hurried back descending the stairs, two at a time to the underground station. I got directions from one of the attendants, on which line would take me to Enfield Town. The journey took longer than I anticipated. I needed to change trains and get the overground line. With fewer services during the weekend, the trip took over one hour. From Enfield Station, I jumped into a taxi that took me straight to Chase Farm Hospital. It was eight in the evening when I got there. The ward was full, with visitors who had come to see loved once in the hospital.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.