No Contest Book 2: Hard Fought 1991-93 - Cover

No Contest Book 2: Hard Fought 1991-93

Copyright© 2018 by Maxicue

Chapter 29

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 29 - Ten years older. And wiser? Both Joe and Eddie have had great success. With Joe with women as well, and an unorthodox family comes out of it. But success does not necessarily generate happiness. Though it can help make it easier to find it and sustain it, just being a thinking and feeling human can get in the way.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   BiSexual   Group Sex   Orgy   Polygamy/Polyamory   Interracial  

More sad goodbyes happened almost exactly a week later in New York. Joe and Cheryl to their wives and kids and Essie, who was sort of both.

Joe and Cheryl had business to take care of before they headed to Minnesota. For Joe, one thing had to do with school, completing the grading and conferring with students who either challenged his grades or wanted to know what would make the grades better in future classes. He also needed to deal with his publisher, discussing plans for moms and for any added promotions for No Contest. Because the book continued to sell well, still on the best seller list, they accepted his deflection of more readings. And it helped that he agreed to an interview with Charlie Rose, which happened that Thursday and would be broadcast a week later. An exclusive, since Joe didn’t have any other interviewers or media stars really he wanted to talk to. He also agreed to join Jeff at a publishers’ convention in Miami at the beginning of March, and to attend a seminar on the state of the contemporary novel being hosted in New York by the New York Review of Books couple weeks later. Both weren’t actually promotional, but would be a chance to network and meet fellow writers. Miami would also give him an escape from the frigid north, and, since Cheryl would be joining him there, be a little subversive about encouraging better contracts for writers like Joe had.

Cheryl also had business to attend to at home. Meeting with Rolling Stone about future articles. And, at Melanie’s uncomfortably pleading insistence, helping the young writer complete her largest assignment. Whose research actually continued for a few days, watching Eddie explore his newly built New York studio and nearly complete new home. Seeing him work with Joe on new songs for MIRE and for Joe’s show. Witnessing the Solomon Family Band and the miracle that was Rhonda. Which both Joe and Cheryl insisted she keep under wraps. Though that would change soon enough.

And Eddie had things to do, and it had to do with Rhonda as much as anything. He finished mastering what would be her first EP, which he planned to have turned into vinyl in a favorite plant in the Twin Cities. He also had Rachel call around to local musicians and friends for a party Friday night and well into Saturday morning. An all-night jam that would also serve as a sort of clandestine audition. Who he might want to work with in the future. Who he might jibe with, because their musicianship wasn’t in question. These were all veterans of the rock scene, with a couple jazz musicians added in honor of Nigella. A couple looked promising. A drummer and a sax player/multi-instrumentalist. But none really excited him. And he’d do the same in Minneapolis, which had its own abundance of talent.

Liang’s new job also kept Joe in New York. Mostly her struggles working side by side with the asshole editor who was both jaded, feeling that working on the fringes was a demotion, and sexist, with a horrible combination of demeaning and harassing Liang. Joe’s hopes that Liang might learn from the experienced veteran looked less and less likely. Until he was forced to mediate.

Cassandra, one of Joe’s favorite people, secretary to Joe’s editor, Greg, and the power in the office, beautiful, regal Nigerian, long ago brief lover, joined Joe in the conference room with Liang and the asshole.

“What are you doing here, Mr. Solomon?” the asshole asked with kiss-ass respect.

Liang smiled. “As my lover, he’s worried about me.”

“Is that how you got this job,” the asshole muttered.

“Yep.”

“She got it because she’s brilliant, asshole,” Joe said. He pulled a small, silver, slightly thick rectangle from his bag. “You know what this is?”

“Looks like a small tape machine?”

“Able to easily hide in any purse,” Joe added, handing it to Liang, who illustrated the concept.

“What the hell?” said the asshole.

“There’s always one of you in an office, Connie,” Joe smirked, knowing the asshole hated shortening his name, Conrad. “Arrogant, smug, selfish and insulting. Never nearly as great as they think they are. Deflating the comradery of any office stuck with them. And I imagine feeling demoted only makes it worse. Well, asshole, being demoted tends to reveal a direction. Out of here. But instead of maybe considering needing to change your attitude, your type just makes it worse. Add whiny to your list of crappy attitudes.

“Truth is, this would have been your final assignment, helping Liang learn your trade. Of course if you turned things around, maybe Jeff would have given you a chance. Put you back where you were, editing mainstream crap. But we are who we are, aren’t we? Once an asshole, always an asshole.

“Problem is, you’re also hitting on my girl while, at the same time, condescending to her. I know you can’t imagine it, but she’s smarter than you, asshole. And she’s definitely not interested. Actually I’m even luckier than you can imagine, because almost always, between us in this room, she’d choose Cassandra.”

“Most definitely,” Liang grinned. “Though probably not a good idea.”

“Probably not,” Cassandra chuckled. “You’re cute, but not my type.”

“I imagine office romances wouldn’t be a good idea anyway,” said Liang. “Especially because we all know you’re the boss.”

“True,” Cassandra responded.

“So this is how it goes, Connie,” Joe continued. “You last as long as you get Liang up to speed. Unless you’re not up to it, and you can quit. But I assure you, you’ll be fired the minute you start hitting on your trainee.”

“Thus the tape machine,” Conrad muttered.

“Yep.”

“I have another choice,” Cassandra offered. “You two work independently of each other. Conrad, you continue to edit on your own, and give your results to Liang, who can look at them and either add her own or question what you did. You two meet to discuss Liang’s reaction, let’s say for an hour a day.”

“Like a class,” said Liang.

“Yes.”

“But doesn’t that leave me with nothing to do?”

“You have that manuscript you wish to translate?”

“Of the Chinese dissident? Yes.”

“Jeff has given his approval. He had legal get the author’s estate copyright acceptance for the English version.”

“Wow. Thanks.”

“And I want Conrad to edit it, with your negotiation about his changes again part of the learning process.”

“Dealing with the author.”

“Exactly.”

“It sounds like Liang has some flexibility now,” Joe said. “She’ll actually be writing, and only needs to meet with Conrad once a day.”

“She’ll also be manning the reception desk while the new receptionist takes her lunch break.”

“So she only needs to be here a couple hours midday.”

“I suppose.”

“This is my place of employment, Joe,” Liang said. “I don’t mind working here. Besides, you’ll be gone.”

“I know. I’m just asking about flexibility. I imagine you’ll need to do research on the translation, which might mean travel. You’re also working on putting together my poems and with Joanne on my plays.”

“And Jeff isn’t publishing them,” Cassandra pointed out.

“I get it. Her time, not yours. But it’s for me, your favorite author.”

“What do you want, Joe?” Cassandra sighed.

“Like I said, I think Liang needs flexibility. Some weeks maybe you’ll need another substitute for a day or two, and Liang can meet Conrad for three instead of five days, for longer if that makes a difference. She’ll still be putting together a publishable book for you. Two actually.”

“Is this for you, Joe?” Liang asked.

“I was hoping it was for us,” Joe chuckled.

“Of course getting a chance to see you is a most agreeable idea. But I do need to be responsible working here.”

“You don’t need to be here to work on your assignment. Even Conrad’s editing can be faxed to Joanne’s. I’m not asking you to be with me in Minneapolis all the time. Just a couple extra workdays every other week or something. I also want you to meet with the publishers of my poems and plays in Milwaukee. I know, my time and not yours, Cassandra.”

“But we want to keep our best author happy,” Cassandra shook her head.

“It would make me very happy. But I know you agree with me that Liang is a valued employee, and will be even more so in the future. I’m just asking you give her a little slack for this time. I know starting out isn’t usually the time for it. The newbie needs to work harder to prove herself and all that. Unfortunately what I’m asking, what I need from Liang, coincides with her trial period. I’m just asking for a few months, and only occasionally. After that, she’s all yours.”

“Occasionally? Every other week?”

“Probably less.”

“Once a month?”

“I can’t predict that. But I think it would be more often at some point, and less often after that.”

“So a couple weeks in a row, and then a lot less.”

“Yes.”

“Fine.”

“Pays to fuck the teacher’s pet,” Conrad muttered.

“It has its advantages,” Liang winked at Cassandra.

“Uhm ... Yes ... Well,” Cassandra stuttered. “I’ll be flexible with some time off. But I’d like you to be here full time when you’re around. For one thing, I want you to have a closer relationship to our readers of unsolicited manuscripts. I want you to meet with them. Encourage them to be open to anything that might catch their eye, but might have reservations about recommending it for whatever reason.”

“So you want me available for second looks.”

“Exactly. Even if you disagree with their choice, which you will a lot more than not, because we are looking for a really fine needle in a whole bunch of hay, they’ll come away encouraged rather than disappointed because of the person you are.”

“They’ll probably recommend more, just for the experience,” Joe chuckled.

“And you’re worried about me flirting.” Conrad muttered.

“Because you’re her boss, asshole,” Joe growled. “And you were an asshole about it.”

“Whatever.”

“Cut it out, Conrad, or you’re out,” Casssandra pointed out, tightly. “With an accusation of sexual harassment for anyone looking for recommendations from us. Got that?”

“Yes Ma’am,” he muttered.

“Thanks,” said Liang as soon as they got in the back of Trevor’s limo. She settled on her knees between Joe’s legs and unzipped him.

“For what,” he moaned as she took in his penis, instantly expanding in her mouth.

“For being my hot protector,” she answered, her hand pulling on his cock. “For making sure I can be with you.” She slurped his cock before adding. “You being bossy turns me on.”

Joe looked up and saw Trevor had closed the privacy screen. “I just took control of your life without permission.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.