A Woman Warrior - Cover

A Woman Warrior

Copyright© 2018 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 4: First Morning

I woke to find Jade still lying against me, but Bryn missing. I carefully worked my way out from under Jade and sat up. As I did Bryn appeared from one of the doorways. “Sorry, I had to go to the bathroom,” she said with a blush.

I smiled. “Not a problem. I should go as well, and then I think breakfast should be the plan. I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry.”

Bryn nodded. “I wanted to look around, but thought to wait for you. What about Jade?”

I smiled at my friend. “She’ll be up soon. Don’t worry. Meanwhile I’m thinking that I want a nice Danish with orange juice and a bowl of fruit.”

The AI spoke. “Confirmed. Do you want it at the table?”

I looked around and spotted the booth-like table against one of the walls. “That would be perfect,” I said. “However, give me a moment to freshen up.” I walked through the door Bryn had exited and found a spartan toilet set up. Using it proved simple and moments later I strode out heading to the booth.

It was much like any old diner and I eased by way into one of the booths. The chair’s surface was a bit uncomfortable on bare flesh and I sighed. “Remind me to provide some clothing later. I like having cloth between me and most chairs.”

Bryn giggled and blushed as she sat across from me. “Um ... can I have some toast with strawberry jam, orange juice and a half of a grapefruit?”

A panel in the wall opened and a tray appeared with two plates and two glasses. Bryn and I picked up our meals and set them in front of us. “You happy?” I asked casually.

Bryn set her spoon down and looked at me. I noticed tears falling from her eyes and immediately looked for a handkerchief. “I’m sorry! I didn’t think. You left so much behind.” I began.

Bryn suddenly turned pale and jumped from her seat, coming around the table to hug me. “It’s not that! I just ... I’ve spent the morning thinking ... I don’t know how to say it. I’ve never been so cared for before. You offered me so much and asked for so little. Mistress. Tanya. Savannah. You took me yesterday and made me yours. As long as I can be with you, I’ll be ... well ... happy doesn’t really describe it. But, I want to be here!”

“But you barely know me,” I whispered as my own tears fell into Bryn’s hair. She just snuggled closer for the moment.

“I’ve watched and listened. Yes, it was only for a short time. I still noticed things. Jade loves you so much, despite the two of you not having seen each other for years. You were kind to me from the start. That corporal was impressed by you, and I can’t imagine that happening often. He seemed pretty sure of himself,” Bryn said. “And the rest I’ll get to know.”

I sighed and gave her one more squeeze before gently pushing her out of my lap. “Come on, let’s get to eating. Then we can explore.”

“What about Jade?” Bryn asked.

A voice spoke up from the couch. “Jade needs two glazed doughnuts and a large cup of coffee and she’ll pretend to be alive.”

“That’s bad for you,” I replied. “You’ll need an extra twenty stomach crunches to work it off.”

Bryn and I watched as Jade slid to the floor and slowly stood up. She stretched and then strode over to the table with a smile. “I need it after last night. It’s been a long time since I used my kegel muscles that way.”

I giggled. “Looked like a good one, and sounded like one too.”

Jade blushed a little. “It was worth it, but I hope you don’t mind that I was imagining you under me with a strap-on rather than Thomas. He was nice, but he wasn’t you two.”

Bryn nodded and I gave Jade a hug before she slid in next to Bryn and collected her own tray. I smiled as she took a sip of the coffee. “I should ban coffee from my pod,” I mused.

Jade glared at me and smiled. “You like the smell.”

I shrugged. “True, but the taste I could do without. However, first I think we need to explore and think up some ideas for decorating and such. I also want to get some outfits for you two, and find out what the schedule is for training.”

The two nodded as the AI responded. “At the current pickup rate, the ship will be full and ready to begin transit to Kelor and Borneo in less than a day. Training during transit is individualized. For most trainees it is recommended that one room on the lower floor be set up as a training chamber, this has already been instituted in your case.”

I smiled. “One question answered, although it didn’t tell me what training I’m getting.”

“Volunteer Tanya Walker, selected for the navy, has been positioned on the weapons and tracking track. Training will consist of studies and simulations of ship-to-Swarm battle where the trainee will serve as weapons officer,” the AI responded.

“Wow,” Bryn said. “That sounds challenging.”

I shrugged. “Well, let’s finish our food and explore then.”

The small breakfast vanished quickly, although we waited for several minutes as Jade relaxed and sipped at her coffee. Finally she felt awake enough to explore and we returned the trays and plates through the panel opening. By that time the coffee had awakened Jade’s kidneys so Bryn pointed her to the toilet while we looked around the main room.

“Not much,” Bryn said. “Couches, the little table and nothing more. Not even a TV.”

“Do they have TV?” I asked. “I can’t see them running a cable back to Earth, although they can probably play anything that was digitized and saved.”

“Affirmative,” the AI said. “Just indicate which wall and the size of screen and it can be provided.”

“Another answer,” I mused as Bryn giggled. Just then Jade returned. I looked around and pointed to the first door to the left of the entry door, from where we were standing. “Let’s start there.”

We walked over and the door opened quietly. As we looked inside the room lit up and we found ourselves looking at a simulation of a ship’s bridge. There were four stations of some kind and a command chair behind them. I walked in and examined the stations, finding them detailed. “Is this the training room?” I asked.

“Correct,” the AI said. “This is a replica of the bridge for a Patrician class corvette. During simulations your post will be the seat on the back left. Front left is the helmsman, the only non-officer on the bridge. Front right is communications, and the right rear is tracking. Patricians are too small to have a dedicated executive officer, usually one of the other bridge officers acts as executive officer.”

“Small ship,” Jade mused.

“The Patricians carry a total crew of twenty-eight. Five officers and twenty-three crew. Most crew serve the weapons or engineering,” the AI replied.

I nodded. “Makes sense. We don’t have enough people to crew massive ships with lots of men. Surprised to see I’m going to be an officer right away.”

“Initial training tracks are determined by CAP sub-scores and the needs of the colony the volunteer is heading for. Borneo has been aggressively fighting the Sa’arm and has a need for additional ship’s crews. Your scores indicate an ability to lead and handle weapons, so that is your training.”

Bryn giggled. “Computer efficiency.”

I joined her giggle as we turned back and circled the room looking for the next door. The next one was the toilet we had all used, so we moved on to one that was near the table. It opened up to lead to a room that had a sizable table and chairs as well as some counter space. “Ah, the kitchen and dining area,” I said.

Bryn looked confused. “But why? I mean the ship can provide meals just by us asking.”

Jade giggled. “Because sitting around a table while eating helps bond. And while that little table out there is nice for a quick breakfast, it’s not really a formal place to eat. I just wish there were cooking facilities. I love to cook occasionally.”

I nodded. “It’s been ages, but it is fun to cook sometimes. I haven’t made cookies in ages, and that was always fun.”

Jade giggled louder. “Yeah, I remember the time when you talked Stormy into buying you some rum because you were going to make some rum cookies. I think more rum ended up inside you than in the cookie batter.”

I turned and tickled my old friend. “And yet, who ate all the cookies saying they were the best ever?”

Jade turned and tried to look innocent as Bryn giggled. She had wandered deeper into the room and stood at the table with a sigh. “I like the idea of cooking. I haven’t done it since I came to the US. They don’t let you cook in the dorms.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.