Good Medicine - Freshman Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Freshman Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 67: Next Steps

March 15, 1982, McKinley, Ohio

"Is it OK if I interrupt?" Clarissa asked on Monday evening.

"Sure," I replied. "What's up?"

"I wanted to check on class schedules for the Fall. I'd like to take the same classes. It'll help with our study group."

"Sure. Pete, Kurtis, Jason, please excuse me for a bit."

Clarissa and I went to my room and sat down with the course catalog.

"We need O-Chem, the second semester of cellular biology with lab, a humanities course, and a language course," I said.

"Do you have a preference for the humanities class?" Clarissa asked.

"Not really, though I'm not thrilled with politics or government."

"How about Western Civ?"

"Sure. History is cool," I agreed.

"What language? We have a choice of Spanish, French, German, or Latin."

"I took Latin in High School. What about you?"

"French. Why did you take Latin?"

"I figured it was practical given that Latin and Greek words are common all over science and medicine. I studied Greek on my own. Why did you take French?"

"My best friend decided to take French, so I took it with her. I didn't like it."

"German seems like a waste," I said. "And I really have no desire to take French."

"I'm OK with Latin or Spanish," Clarissa said. "I picked Western Civ, so if you want to pick Latin, that's OK with me."

"I think we have a plan," I said. "What does the schedule look like?"

"Give me a sec."

Clarissa flipped through the course catalog and made notes.

"OK. Assuming we want only day classes, then the schedule only works out one way. O-Chem at 9:00am, Latin at 11:00am, Biology at 1:00pm, and Western Civ at 3:00pm, all of which are Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes. Lab would be from 1:00pm to 4:00pm on Tuesday afternoons. We'd have Thursday completely free."

"That sounds OK to me," I said. "What about Jason?"

"I wanted to get this set. He can sign up for the O-Chem and Biology, then decide his electives."

"Are we going to try to match electives the whole way?"

"Why not?"

"I wasn't objecting. It's fine with me. I'll be happy having a study partner for the next three years."

"Cool. I'll give Jason the schedule. There's a girl in our calculus class who's bio-chem, Sandy, who's also pre-med. I'll show her as well."

"Sounds good," I said.

Clarissa wrote out the course numbers for me so I could register for my classes, and then we left my room. Clarissa spoke to Jason and gave him the course numbers for biology and O-Chem.

"What do you think of her?" Jason asked when she walked away.

"I think she's seeing Carter, so I don't think anything," I said.

"I heard they're just friends, you know, casual."

"I think you better check with him before you cause any problems."

"You dig the nerdy types?" Pete asked.

Jason laughed, "If she fixed her hair, wore flattering clothes, and got contacts, she'd be really cute. And she's almost as smart as Mike!"

"Looking to be a kept man?" Kurtis asked with a huge grin.

"I can think of worse fates!" Jason laughed. "But Mike's right; I need to ask Carter if anything is going on."

"Hey, I'm trying to study here!" Bill laughed.

"He has a point," I said.

We settled down and went back to our studying.

March 19, 1982, Circleville, Ohio

"Thanks for not being upset last Friday," Katy said when we got into my car.

"What was there to be upset about?" I asked. "I like your parents."

"They like you, too. But we didn't have any time alone together."

"It's fine, honest! Where am I taking you tonight?"

"A seafood place in Columbus. It fits within your rule, and I'll never complain about seafood."

Katy gave me directions, and I put the car in gear and pulled out of the driveway.

"You really aren't upset about not being able to be alone?" she asked.

"I very much enjoy being alone with you, but that's not why I come to see you. I come to see you because I like you. A lot. Don't worry about last week. What's the scoop for the concert on Tuesday?"

"Just show up at the High School before 7:00pm. It's about a mile from my house. Instead of turning on the road I live on, just keep going another half-mile, and you'll see the school."

"Should I try to sit with your parents?"

"If you want, I can have them keep a seat for you."

"Sure. Remember, I'll have to get back to school because of midterms."

"I know. Will you wait until I come out so we can at least say 'hello'?"

"Yes, of course."

"Do you plan to go to all the Holy Week services?"

"Yes, though Thursday morning is a bit tricky because I have lab. I've already talked to my professors about Holy Friday, and I have Holy Saturday off from work. What about your family?"

"We usually go to the first Bridegroom service, Holy Unction, and Lamentations and Vespers. And, of course, Pascha. Is Angie going to come with you?"

"Yes."

"Can I ask you something about going to church?"

"Anything," I replied.

"Do you go because you want to or because you feel you have to?"

"Want to," I said. "I love everything about the services, and they are comforting and help me stay emotionally and mentally balanced. And that's in addition to worshiping God and receiving the Eucharist. What about you?"

"I don't know. It's just something I've always done. You're way more serious about it."

"Too serious?"

"No," Katy said thoughtfully, "I don't think so. Obviously, we have some areas of disagreement, like confession, fasting, and how often we go to church, but I don't think there are any areas where we disagree enough that we can't work something out."

"We've been doing that starting with the first date. I'm curious; did you ever date anyone who was Orthodox before me?"

"I didn't date THAT much," she laughed. "The guys were mostly Catholic. I'm not sure I could ever go to one of those churches where the pastor wears a business suit, and they harangue you for forty-five minutes."

"I went to my friend Jocelyn's church a few times, but she was Lutheran, and the best way I can describe it is a watered-down version of the Divine Liturgy. I went to April's church once, you know, the girl I dated during my Senior year, and it was even more watered down. I've never been to what they call a 'Bible' church."

"Changing subjects, we've never really talked about common interests. What about sports?" Katy asked. "Are you a Bengals fan? Ohio State?"

"I never really got into football. I follow the Reds, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. I like ice hockey a lot, and I'm a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but there are hardly any games on TV. I've been to a few games in Pittsburgh when we've visited relatives. I'm guessing you're a football fan?"

"Yes. Ohio State and the Bengals. I also play tennis. Do you do anything besides karate?"

"I jog in the mornings. I had started that because I didn't have time for karate, but once I changed my work schedule, I went back to karate and kept running."

"How many kids do you want?"

"Uh, that kind of came out of left field," I said with a nervous laugh.

"Isn't that part of finding out if we're compatible?"

"It seems like a million years from now," I said.

"Have you thought about it?"

"I've gone back and forth with myself, but two has always seemed like a good number," I said. "But I'm not set on that."

"I think two would be fine, but I'd be OK with three."

"Would you want to work when the kids are little?"

"Is that a problem?" Katy asked.

"No, I was just asking. My mom stayed home with us until my sister started kindergarten, then she went back to work. My grandmother watched us during the afternoons after school. What do you think?"

"I suppose it depends on the circumstances. I had a babysitter when I was little. I'm not sure exactly when my mom went back to work, but it was before I remember."

"Well, that's YEARS down the road, anyway," I said.

We had a nice dinner, which again Katy paid for, and afterwards we went back to her house as we usually did. Katy's parents were home, and after greeting them, we went up to her room to listen to music. We spent about an hour talking, kissing, and listening to music before she walked me out to the car.

"Mom and Dad are going to a party next Friday," she said when we hugged by my car. "Do you want to cook together?"

"I'd like that," I said.

We kissed again, then I got into my car for the drive back to campus.

March 21, 1982, McKinley, Ohio

"How are things going?" Jocelyn asked during our usual Sunday afternoon call.

"A lot better now that all the craziness seems to be receding."

"I can't believe your first roommate was a rapist!"

"Me either. The story, and I don't know how much stock I put in it, is that he thought the girls were sluts, and that meant they were free for the taking, so to speak."

"That sounds a bit far-fetched."

"I know, but he was a religious fanatic."

Jocelyn laughed, "That seems like the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?"

"Beyond my desire to marry in the church and raise my kids Orthodox, when have I EVER said anything about religion?"

"Sorry; I was just being a bit flip because of how serious you are about church. But you're right; you never pushed it on anyone or ever said a negative word about my church the times you went."

"This guy was a full-on in-your-face Bible thumper. He and his dad had a hissy fit about my icons if you recall."

"I wasn't exactly in my right mind then."

"And you're asserting you are now?" I teased.

"I went to bed with you, so clearly I was NEVER in my right mind!"

"Excuse me?!" I exclaimed in mock offense.

"You know I'm pulling your leg, Mike. Are you serious enough with anyone to preclude spending the night when you're home?"

"No, but I am worried about you."

"Because you think it's more than just sex?"

"It's always been more than just sex, Jos. You and I both know that."

"True," she sighed. "It's just that besides making me feel really good, you make me feel loved, and I know how deeply you care for me. I care for you that way, too. And we show each other. It'll end someday; we both know that. It's why I asked if you were serious with anyone."

"And what does Doctor Henderson think of our love affair?"

"Don't ask," Jocelyn sighed.

"What did she say?"

"Didn't I just tell you not to ask? You never were good at listening to me!"

"Cincinnati?" I said playfully.

"OK, except in bed, you were never good at listening to me! Anyway, she said, I'm living in a fantasy world that's going to come crashing down hard when you get into a committed relationship. But I don't see it."

"Because you're still in love with me?"

"Duh! And you're in love with me. But when I broke thirteen years of total honesty and trust, that kind of ended any chance of us being together. I also know you want your own kids, but the trust thing was what ruined it. We both know that. I know what the future holds, and it's the two of us as best friends. We'll both marry, you'll have kids, I'll adopt kids, and our families will be close. That's not a fantasy, is it?"

"No, if that's what you really believe and you aren't hiding your true emotions."

Jocelyn sighed, "And that right there is why there's no 'Jos and Mik' as a couple in the future. Before my accident, I couldn't imagine you ever saying something like that to me."

"I know," I said, matching her sigh. "I'm sorry."

"If I could go back in time and change one thing, it would be telling you how much I loved you when we were fifteen. But it's too late now."

"Jos, you know I'll always love you. Always."

"I know. And I'll always love you, Mik. But I blew it."

I chuckled, "You sure did!"

"Jerk!" she laughed. "But you did seem to like that. A lot!"

"I did. But you know what I liked the most?"

"Cuddling together to sleep?"

"Yes, because in some ways, it was more intimate."

Jocelyn laughed softly, "More than having your dick or tongue in my pussy? Or your dick in my mouth?"

"I think you know what I meant. What was the ONE thing you wanted from me after your accident?"

"To be held."

"I rest my case."

"Well, on the plus side, it looks like we can do BOTH when you come home!"

"It does. How are things going otherwise?"

"Everything is good. I'm pretty much fully back to normal. Everything is set for the Fall, and I've been hanging out with some girls who graduated when we did, with whom I got along pretty well. Emmy and I have gone out for ice cream a few times."

"How is she doing?"

"OK. She misses you something fierce, but her dad is being just as much of an asshole as he was back in November. She's trying to find a way to come see you."

"She mentioned that when I was home, but if she were to get caught..."

"Her dad would go ballistic. Mike, why didn't you tell me April was pregnant?"

"I didn't figure it was my business to spread rumors. Liz told me about it, but she hadn't heard it directly from April, not that I would have expected April to talk to Liz."

"You saw her at Thanksgiving..."

"I did, but I didn't do anything with her."

"So she was hoping to get you back and make you think the baby was yours?"

"Who knows? Whatever the case, I haven't heard from her at all. Liz is pretty sure it was April's date for the Sadie Hawkins Day dance. But forget April Nash."

"How are things with Angie?"

"Status quo," I said. "And at this point, I'm simply assuming she'll never be more than a friend."

"Isn't that what we did?"

"Yes, but this is different because she knows exactly how I feel. I never let on to you how I felt until graduation."

"You've been seeing your girl from the new church every week, right?"

"Yes, and Melody and I are dating, too."

"What about Tasha?"

"She's still a Sophomore," I said. "And under heavy guard!"

Jocelyn laughed, "Is she still your first choice?"

"I don't think I have a first choice right now. Let's say I'm evaluating options. I have plenty of time."

"True. When are you coming home?"

"Friday night, which is the 2nd."

"Do you have plans?"

"For Friday? No."

"Come spend the night."

"OK. I'll plan on it. Talk to you next Sunday?"

"Absolutely!"

We said 'goodbye', and after I hung up, I walked down the hall to the girls' side of the dorm and knocked on Melody's door.

"Ready for our date?" I asked when Melody opened the door.

"Yes! Are you sure about this?"

"Everyone has a first time!" I teased.

"That ship sailed a long time ago! But I'll be happy to play with your stick!"

We both laughed and walked to the elevator, which we rode down to the ground floor. We walked out to the parking lot, and I handed Melody the keys to my Mustang. We got in, and I explained the basics of driving a manual transmission as opposed to an automatic. I'd also backed my car into the parking spot to make it easier for her to get started.

"Just remember, it's about being smooth and accurate," I said. "Press the clutch in smoothly and release it smoothly. Move the gear shift quickly up or down, depending on the gear you're in. Don't slam it around, but you need to be firm enough to ensure it moves fully into place. Let's start with getting used to moving the gear selector. Press in the clutch with your left foot and keep it pressed down. Then move the gear selector through the gears, 1st through 4th, then back into 1st."

Melody practiced what I said a few times, and then I had her put the car in neutral and start the engine.

"Put your right foot on the brake, keep the clutch pushed in, and put the car into 1st gear. Move your right foot to the gas, then slowly and smoothly let out the clutch while you gently press the gas pedal. If the car stalls, step on the brake, push in the clutch, and try again."

Melody did as I instructed and managed to pull out without stalling the car, though the car lurched and shuddered as she tried to figure out the right combination of gas and clutch.

"Just stay in first gear and drive to the exit. When you stop, make sure you push in the clutch when you brake. If you don't push in the clutch, you'll stall the engine. It'll be pretty obvious."

Melody did as I instructed and got to the exit, stopping properly. I had her wait until the traffic light about a block away changed to red to ensure she had plenty of time to get out into the street. She stalled the car twice, trying to make the turn onto the street, but then got going. Her shifting was imprecise, and the car jerked and lagged, but overall, she did a good job for the first time.

"How do I know the best time to shift?" she asked.

"It'll become second nature in the end, but watch the RPMs. They'll climb as you go faster, and you want to keep them around 3000. When they're above 3000, think about shifting. Remember that if you need to brake, you'll need to think about what to do with the clutch and shifter. If you're going to stop completely, you can push in the clutch, move the shifter to neutral, and brake normally. If you're just slowing down, and the RPMs drop below about 2200, shift down one gear. You can do a lot more with the clutch and shifter to control your speed, but we'll keep it simple now."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.