Good Medicine - Freshman Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Freshman Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 44: Rescue Mission

November 1, 1981, McKinley, Ohio

It was just past midnight when I walked into the Landers' house.

"Hi, Mike," Mrs. Landers said. "Nancy said you might show up. I'm glad you did!"

"Hi, Mrs. Landers," I replied.

"Don't mind me," she smiled. "If you two want to go on to bed, that's OK."

"You better call Ripley's once more," I grinned. "I'm going to turn Nancy down on her offer. Again."

Mrs. Landers laughed and shook her head, "I told her you were a keeper! Then I will go to bed so you can have the room."

"Thanks," I said. "Good night."

"'Night, Mom!"

"'Night, kids."

She left, and Nancy offered me something to drink. I accepted, and she got us both some lemonade and brought it into the living room.

"Before you tell me what's going on, can I ask you a very direct question?"

"Sure."

"What the hell is going to have to happen to get you to take my virginity?"

"Tonight would be the WRONG night for that for a host of reasons. You'll understand when I tell you."

"Remember what I said the price for listening was!"

I laughed, "No, you said the price for SEX was telling you what's bothering me. I'm telling you without asking YOU for the price!"

"I have GOT to learn to be more careful how I set the terms!" she said, then laughed and shook her head, "I never imagined it would be THIS difficult to get a guy I wanted to have sex with to fuck me!"

"I will point out I was ready, willing, and able three weeks ago."

"Never mind," Nancy said, slapping my arm lightly. "It IS my fault. So, what's bugging you?"

"I need to tell you some things that simply can't be repeated. Not to your mom, not to your counselor, not to your best friend. Nobody."

She nodded, "OK. I promise. First, though, have you talked to Angie about this?"

I shook my head, "No. I'm not sure she can handle it."

Nancy smiled, "Well, THAT is an interesting development. Go ahead."

I took a deep breath and let it out. Then I told her about everything that had happened with Liz, starting with my discovery of her drug use, then my discovery of her and Paul, and finally, the discovery of her rape at the hands of six guys. I concluded with our confrontation and her agreeing to go to the clinic.

"Wow. OK, I can see how that could be affecting you," Nancy said.

"Yeah, but that's not the real problem. Friday night, my mom basically accused me of having sex with my sister. The psychiatrist at the clinic is convinced it happened and is convinced Liz and I are lying. And my mom flat-out accused me of doing it."

"No way!"

"Yes. It never happened, Nancy. Liz was being extreme to shock me. I was extreme back to shock her. That's it. I have NO desire to do that, and the very thought makes me physically ill. And yet, my mom and some quack of a psychiatrist are convinced we did it. And, of course, I'm the older brother, so that makes it my fault."

"What did you do?"

"Swore at my mom for the first time ever then got in my car and drove back to McKinley. I actually contemplated coming straight here, but because Angie was expecting me, I went there first."

"Well, I suppose that's another good sign."

"The problems get worse," I said. "I won't go home if they're thinking that way about me. That creates a problem of where to stay on breaks."

"I have a suggestion," Nancy interrupted saucily.

"I thought you might," I grinned. "I'm sure Paula wouldn't mind the company!"

"You brat!" Nancy laughed. "At least you can joke a bit."

"Who's joking?" I asked deadpan.

Nancy laughed again, "You are learning!"

I smiled, "I try. Though you have to admit her breasts are impressive."

"Men," Nancy groused.

"I'm teasing. I actually prefer yours."

"Show me?" she smirked.

"Not tonight. So the problem potentially gets worse because they're helping me pay for college."

"They'd cut you off?"

"I don't know, but if I'm not talking to them and they think I had sex with Liz, I'd say it's a real possibility."

"So what would you do?"

"Borrow the money, which just piles on the debt. Ain't life grand? It'll work, but it'll be tough. I'd need to get hours back from Mr. Sokolov even though I don't really have the time."

"My bed is always available. I'm sure Mom would be OK if you decided to stay here. If you contributed even twenty percent of what you do for your current room and board, it would make a huge difference for us."

"Thanks for the offer, and it might come to that at some point."

"Are you going to talk to your mom?"

I shrugged, "I'm not sure what good it will do."

"Maybe she'll change her mind."

"I don't know," I sighed. "The circumstantial evidence is thin, but it is there. And this idiot psychiatrist has woven a lovely story of an abusive Big Brother causing all the little sister's problems."

"But it's not true!" Nancy protested.

"Yes, well, they don't seem to care."

"That sucks."

"Yes, it does," I sighed.

"You could stay if you wanted. Sleep on the couch. Or with me, and just cuddle."

I shook my head, "No. I'm going to go back. I'm going to church in the morning, and Angie will want to come along."

Nancy nodded, "I understand. Come see me again, Mike. Any time. And for God's sake, work this out so you can do it with me!"

"Are you horny?" I grinned.

"You have NO idea!" she sighed.

We got up, and she walked me to the door. She asked for a kiss, and we shared a soft, simple kiss. She watched from the door as I got into my car and pulled out of the driveway. I headed back to campus, went up to my room, and went straight to bed. I managed five hours of sleep before I had to shower and dress for church.

Angie and I went to church, and as usual, I felt completely at peace, at least while I was praying and listening to the hymns, prayers, and scripture readings. I approached the chalice to partake of the Eucharist and brought antidoron to Angie. After the service, we joined the congregation for fellowship, coffee, and bagels, and then we headed back to campus. We parted so we could change into comfortable clothes.

The phone in my room was ringing, and I was pretty sure who it would be, but I answered anyway.

"Mike Loucks," I said.

"Mike, it's Dad."

"I really don't have anything more to say on the matter. And, honestly, at this point, I have nothing at all to say to Mom."

"I understand, Son. But you have to see it from her perspective."

"Which perspective is that? I'm a liar who abused my sister in a disgusting and heinous way? That after eighteen years of talking frankly and honestly with her, nothing I say matters? That some psychiatrist who is, frankly, committing gross malpractice is more believable than her own son? Forget it."

"I'm sure it looks that way from your perspective."

I laughed derisively, "MY perspective? Who besides ME could possibly know except for Liz? If we BOTH say it didn't happen, I guess that makes us both liars. Well, frankly, if that's what you and Mom think of me, I have nothing left to say. This call is over. If you come to your senses, let me know."

"Mike, wait!"

"For what, Dad?"

"I believe you."

"Fine. You believe me. Mom doesn't. And that makes the last eighteen years a lie. All of it. I'm not coming home, Dad. Ever. When she decides to apologize to both me and Liz and file a malpractice complaint against that quack, Orosco, then I'll THINK about it. But not before then."

"Son..." he sighed.

"You tell me you would feel differently in my shoes!"

"I can't," he sighed. "I just don't know what to do."

"Talk some sense into Mom. If you can't, there's nothing left."

"I won't cut you off, Mike. Is it OK if I call you?"

"I suppose so, yes."

"What are you going to do for Thanksgiving?"

"I don't know yet. I'll figure something out."

"You're always welcome here, you know that."

"Actually, given how Mom feels, I don't know any such thing."

There was silence.

"Mike, I love you," my dad said for the first time in years.

"I love you, too, Dad. Call when you want. And thanks."

"You're welcome."

I hung up, went into my bedroom, and lay down on the bed, shaking. My life was a mess, but at least my finances were stable, something that had really worried me. But nothing else was settled. I took quite a few deep breaths before I felt like getting out of bed. I was supposed to meet the girls, Pete and Jason, in the common room, but I really didn't feel like it. I went out to let them know I wasn't feeling well, then went back to my room and got into bed to take a nap.

I was jarred awake by the phone. Clark was out, so I either had to let it ring or answer it. I rolled out of bed, trudged to the common part of our room, and answered the phone.

"Mike! It's Emmy!"

"Hi!" I said, my spirits lifted a bit.

"Mom said I can come to McKinley next weekend. Is Sunday afternoon OK?"

"Sure. I get back from church around 1:00pm, though I could be here earlier. How late can you stay?"

"It's a school night, so I have to be home by 10:00pm, so 9:00pm, I guess."

"Cool. What do you want to do?"

She giggled, "What do you think? I'm about to burst!"

"I think we might be able to find some time for that!"

"Silly! See you at 1:00pm!"

"See you then!"

We hung up, and I went back to my room and lay back down on my bed. Emmy coming to visit would be a very clear test of my relationship with Angie. If everything was cool after Emmy's visit, then I'd say Nancy and Jeannette were wrong and be happy. If not, and they were right, I'd be sad, but I would have dodged a major bullet.

Lying in bed, I remembered I hadn't called Tasha since I'd last seen her, so I got up and called her. Talking to her always cheered me up, and this time was no different. I was in a far better mood when we finished our call.

I decided I needed some fresh air, and I also needed to replenish my pop and some snacks. I grabbed a light jacket and my baseball cap and left the room. I checked the common area and didn't see any of the gang, so I took the elevator downstairs then walked to the Quick Mart. I picked up a couple of cartons of pop, a box of Pop-Tarts, a bag of chips, and a package of cherry Jolly Ranchers and took them to the counter.

"Hi, Paula," I said.

"Hi, Mike! How are you?"

"OK. You?"

"OK. Let me ring you up."

She did so and applied my discount, then put everything into two heavy brown paper bags.

"Is something bugging you?" she asked.

"It's that obvious?"

"The vacant stare and the flat tone of voice? Yes."

"Just some stuff at home I need to deal with," I said.

"I listen well," she said with a smile.

"Thanks. But right now, I can't really talk about it."

She smiled, "Just talk, Mike."

"Thanks for the offer. I need to get back."

I picked up my bags and walked back to the dorm. Clark was in our room with Carter and Larry, drinking beer.

"Did you call home?" he asked.

"No, but my dad called, and I talked to him."

"Oh, OK. Your sister called about five minutes ago."

"Liz?"

"Yes. She wants you to call her back right away."

"OK."

"Also, I bought two cartons of pop. We've been drinking some, and I figured I should replace it."

I smiled, though it was a bit forced, "Then we have an abundant supply because I just bought some, too!"

I unpacked the grocery bags, then folded them and stuck them behind the fridge. They made great book covers and were also very useful to line the trash can. I went back into the common part of the room. The phone cord would stretch, just, into my room, but I'd have to stand right next to the door, which would make it difficult to have a private conversation.

"I sort of need privacy for this call," I said. "If you fine gentlemen don't mind."

"Gentlemen?" Carter laughed. "Where?"

The three of them got up.

"We'll hang out in the common area until you're done."

"Thanks."

I dialed home, dreading who would answer, but Liz picked up halfway through the first ring.

"Mikey?" she said before I said anything.

"Yes. What?"

"I'm sorry," she said, and I heard her start sobbing.

"For what?"

"It's my fault."

"What is?"

"That dumb doctor!" she said, choking on her tears. "Every single day, every single one, she pushed me on if it was you or Dad who abused me. Every day! When I admitted to sleeping in your bed that one night, she was sure it was you!"

"You and I both know nothing happened."

"Eww! I love you, Mikey, but just eww!"

"So now what?" I asked.

"I don't know. My therapist asks me EVERY time about it. Mom is sure it happened. I can't take it anymore!"

That was the last straw.

"Liz, I'm coming home right now. I'm going to talk to Dad, and we're going to put a stop to this insanity. If we can't, then you're coming with me to McKinley. I guarantee one of my friends will put you up."

"Somebody will call the police."

"Mom will have to decide. She can believe me or have me arrested. That'll be her choice."

"Mikey, no."

"Liz, what you said before scares me. Do you know why?"

"No."

"Jocelyn tried to kill herself a few weeks ago."

"What?!" Liz gasped. "No!"

"Yes. She had to have a hysterectomy and lied to me about it. The stress finally got to her, and she told me to leave. I knew she meant forever. I went to the church and cried. She took her entire bottle of painkillers. Fortunately, they got her to the hospital in Rutherford in time."

"Oh my God!"

"Yeah. And you sound like her. Promise me you won't do anything dumb in the next hour."

"I promise."

"OK. I'm leaving right now. See you in less than an hour. Don't say anything to anyone."

"I love you, Mikey."

"I love you too, Liz."

I quickly changed into jeans and a rugby shirt, then grabbed my wallet, keys, jacket, and baseball cap. I walked out to the common area and let Clark know I was going home for an emergency. I asked him to let Angie know and that I had no idea when I'd be back. I hurried out of the building and to my car. Seconds later, I was turning out of the parking lot. I mashed the accelerator and headed for my parents' house.

November 1, 1981, West Monroe, Ohio

"Go pack a bag, Liz. For at least a week."

"Mike, stop and think," my dad said.

"About what? Mom is abusing Liz almost as badly as the Kramer «мудаки» (mudaki). She can call the cops and have me arrested, but Liz isn't staying here for one more second, and she sure as hell isn't seeing that abusive counselor!" ("assholes")

"At least wait until your mom comes back home."

I shook my head, "No. Liz HAS to be out of here. Now. You know it just as well as I do! I think she's very nearly suicidal. One more 'counseling' session, and she might be. Do YOU think I abused her?"

"No, of course not."

"Did you?"

"Don't be stupid, Mike."

"Well, they think it was one of us. And they won't let up until you or I are in leg irons. It's that Orosco woman. You know it; I know it. Mom has lost her mind, and I just don't get it."

"Where are you taking her?"

"A friend's house. That's who I just called."

"Mike, stay and talk to your mom, please."

"To what end? To be accused of raping Liz? That IS what she thinks I did."

"And how will it look if you run away with her?"

"How will it look if Liz kills herself tomorrow after her 'counseling' session?"

"Mike..." Dad sighed.

"Remember what you said about finding my balls? Well, I found 'em. You find yours again and deal with Mom. Put your foot down and make it stick. Liz doesn't see that Orosco woman and gets a new counselor who will HONESTLY talk with her. When that happens, I'll bring her back. You KNOW I'm right, Dad. She has to get out of here. And right now."

He nodded, "I wish I had been stronger."

"Now's the time. I promise I'll bring her home when YOU tell me it's safe. I promise. No arguments about it. I'll just get in the car and bring her to you. Please let me take her. If I don't..."

"OK."

"Dad, find your balls again, and I mean right now. MAKE Mom understand. If you don't, we're going to lose Liz."

"Go on, take Liz, and get out of here before your mom comes back."

"Thanks."

Liz came down the stairs with a small suitcase, a shoulder bag, and her purse. I got her jacket from the front hall, and we headed out to my car. I helped Liz into the car, quickly walked back to the driver's side, and took off out of the driveway as quickly as I could, this time without burning rubber.

"Where are we going?"

"First, to the dorm so I can let Angie know what's going on. You can't stay there because it's against the rules. I had a run-in with a feminist Dean, and I can't even bend the rules, let alone break them. After we see Angie, we'll get some food, then we'll go to Nancy's house. I know you want me to stay there, so I will. Tomorrow morning, you can come to the dorm with me and hang out until curfew, when you have to go back to Nancy's if Dad hasn't sorted things out. I have to go to class, but the dorm is safe, all my records are there, and there's also a TV and stuff. And lots of cool kids."

"I love you, Mikey. I'm so sorry."

"For telling the truth? Forget it. It's that stupid Orosco woman. She thinks because you offered and I offered, that meant we actually wanted to, and once you said you had held me that night after Jocelyn's accident, the Orosco woman decided we were lying about it."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.