Good Medicine - Freshman Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Freshman Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 18: New Neighbors

August 20, 1981, West Monroe, Ohio

I had just hung up the phone when there was a knock at the door. I went to open it and saw the van Dorn girls standing on the porch.

"My sister won't be home until after lunch," I said. "She gets off work at 2:00pm."

"Mom said you were really nice," the younger one said.

"So we decided to come to say 'Hi'," the older one added.

"I'm Mike. Which is which?"

"I'm Abby," the younger one said. "And my sister is Becky."

"Welcome to West Monroe. I think you'll like it here."

"LIKE it here?" Abby scoffed. "In the sticks? With nothing to do?"

"There's plenty to do around here. It's not like Green Acres! We have telephones, electricity, and running water!"

"Back home, I could walk to the library, walk to the movies, walk to the skating rink, walk to school, and all my friends were close! Here, if you don't have a car, you can't do ANYTHING!"

"It's not THAT bad," I said. "Besides, can't your sister drive?"

"I never took driver's ed," Becky said. "Why? I couldn't afford a car or insurance, and I could walk everywhere, or worst case, take a bus. This SUCKS!"

"You know, if you have that attitude, I think it'll suck even more."

"So, what do YOU do for fun?" Becky asked quickly.

"I suspect the same stuff you do — hang out with my friends, go to the movies, go bowling, play mini golf, that kind of thing. I take karate lessons, too."

"And how many of those things can you do without a car?" Abby challenged.

"None; well, I could walk into town for karate practice, but the other stuff is in Rutherford, about twenty minutes from here. Near where the High School is."

"I'm going to HATE it here," Abby complained.

"Mom said you're going to college soon," Becky said.

"That's true. I leave on Wednesday. But I'll be home from time to time."

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Abby asked, tilting her head and batting her eyes.

"Abby!" Becky spat. "NO!"

"I have a girl I date regularly," I said.

"But you're not steady?"

"No; I'm heading to McKinley for college, and my girlfriend is still in High School."

"You have a car?"

"Yes."

"Would you take me out on a date?"

"Abby!" Becky pleaded, almost whining.

"I'm pretty busy getting ready for college and seeing my friends," I replied.

"Please?" she said, batting her eyelashes.

"Abby, stop!" Becky pleaded, grabbing her sister's arm. "We're going home! We'll come back to meet your sister later!"

"Sure," I said.

Becky literally dragged her sister across the neighbors' yards back to their new house. There was something weird going on between the sisters, but with only five days to go here at home, I wasn't going to worry about it. I went back into the house but barely made it to the kitchen when there was a knock at the door.

"Grand Central Station," I sighed.

I opened the door to see Emmy standing on the porch, with her bike leaning against the house next to the garage.

"I thought you might need a friend," she said.

I wasn't supposed to have girls in the house when nobody else was home, but I didn't think I'd get in trouble at this point. Emmy's dad might have a fit, but I sure wasn't going to tell him, and I knew she wouldn't.

"How about we get some Cokes and sit on the patio?"

"Sure!"

We walked through the house to the kitchen, I got two Cokes, opened the bottles, and we went outside. I handed one to Emmy and took a swig of from mine, then we sat down on two lounge chairs.

"Jocelyn's dad called. She's in the Intensive Care Unit and on heavy drugs. She needs surgery to fix her broken pelvis, and they repaired some other stuff. I don't know when the surgery is going to happen, though."

"But she's going to make it?"

"Yes, I think so. I could hear some apprehension in her dad's voice, but I'm sure they told him all the possible outcomes. He didn't tell me anything other than it would be a long, difficult recovery."

"What happened?"

"Another car crossed the double-yellow on Route 50 and hit her almost head-on."

"Whoa! That's horrible. How can I help you, Mike?"

"You're doing it right now, just being here with me."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. I really appreciate you coming over. How long can you stay?"

"I have to be home for lunch. Dad was a bit upset I went to Columbus with you. Mom calmed him down, though. I swear, it's not like we checked into a motel room or were alone!"

"He's just looking out for you," I said. "It's pretty normal for dads. You've seen it with my dad and Liz."

"I guess," she sighed. "He'd be upset I was here alone with you."

"Your mom knows, right? You didn't lie to her?"

"No way! She's cool. I mean, she knows how much I like you and stuff, but she trusts me, too."

I chuckled, "Should she?"

"No!" Emmy said, laughing. "But I think who she really trusts is YOU not to take advantage of me."

"Is that what it would be?" I asked.

"No way! You know what I want. I'd do it with you right now in your bed if you asked me to, but after what happened with Liz, I don't think that's a good idea. I want to, but if you got in trouble..."

"I think I'd be more worried about your dad's Ruger .357 and his .30-06 M1 Garand than I would Phil Kessel showing up to arrest me!"

"I think you're right!" she laughed. "I saw you're getting new neighbors."

"A family from Michigan. The dad is going to teach biology at the High School. I guess you'll have him in a couple of weeks, right?"

"Yep. My class schedule said it was Mr. van something-or-other, a new teacher."

"Mr. van Dorn," I said. "They have three kids. Two girls, seventeen and fifteen, and a boy, thirteen. I met all of them except the dad this morning."

"What happened to the Deckers?"

"They moved to Arizona. Their kids all moved away, and they decided it was too cold here in the Winter."

"I don't know if I could live anywhere but here," Emmy said. "You think the same, right?"

"Pretty much. Liz is more like Dale — she wants out, and the sooner, the better. Jocelyn and I are like you."

"When does Dale leave?"

"He was going to leave Monday, but he's not sure because of Jocelyn. He has to leave by Wednesday, same as me. But I can drive back here or to Columbus pretty easily. He'll be over five hundred miles away."

"So, what are you taking with you when you move?"

"My clothes, my books, my chess board, my boombox, and my portable typewriter. Mom and Dad said they'll keep my room here for as long as I need, though I suspect they'll let guests use it."

"You're OK with that?"

I shrugged, "It's my parents' house. I'll most likely only use the room a couple of months a year, and when it's time to come back to work at the hospital in Rutherford, I'll rent a place of my own until I decide to buy a house. I can't see living with my parents after I graduate from college!"

"God, no!" Emmy laughed. "I'd be twenty-two, and my dad would STILL try to set a curfew!"

"That's why Liz wants to leave; well, besides the fact she doesn't like living in a rural area."

"Big cities give me the creeps!" Emmy said. "We went to New York City three years ago, and I was totally freaked out! Too many people, too dirty, too noisy, and WAY too much crime!"

"There are more murders each day in Chicago, Detroit, or New York than we have in a year in the whole county. The last one was three years ago when that woman killed her husband when she caught him in bed with the college girl who lived next door to them."

"I can see that," Emmy said with a knowing smile. "If you're married and you cheat, you're total scum."

"So you don't approve of what Liz was doing?"

"The married guy? No. But an older guy? She said he was an excellent lover with lots of experience. I guess I don't see a problem with it. But married? And a kid? No way. And if he'd been forty, that would be creepy. But twenty-four? I know the law says he can't, but it's not like he's ancient!"

"I suppose. I guess I just don't see the attraction."

"I would HOPE not!" Emmy laughed. "She's your sister, you dope! We're not in Appalachia! That's a couple of hundred miles east of here! But she's smoking hot! She got her boobs when she was thirteen, and they're nice ones! Not small, like mine."

"Technically, Appalachia starts in Clermont County, over near Cincinnati! But I think we can end this discussion right now, thanks!" I pleaded.

"Chill out," Emmy laughed. "You can be really uptight at times!"

"Some ideas just do NOT belong in my head, even if I would never, ever do them!"

"Would you like me to sit in that chair with you?" she asked.

"I think YOU would like to sit with me!" I said with a small laugh. "Sure, come on."

She got out of her lounge chair and snuggled into mine with me. She put her head on my chest and sighed deeply.

"I wish you weren't going away."

"I know," I said, stroking her hair. "But I have to."

"Mike, will you answer a question?"

"I'll try."

"What's up with you and Jocelyn?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you guys went to Cincinnati together, and then Liz said Jocelyn was thinking of transferring to William Howard Taft."

I didn't recall mentioning that to Liz, and I was sure my mom hadn't. And I KNEW Jocelyn hadn't. That meant Liz was spying on me again. But that was a problem for later.

"It's true she was thinking about that. We've been friends since kindergarten, and we realized we didn't want to be apart."

"But you love her."

"I do."

"Which means?"

"I have no idea what it means other than we'd be in McKinley together next year. I guess that might still happen, but I don't know how long her recovery will take or anything."

"Were you just going to dump me?"

"No! In fact, once she arranged to transfer, I was going to tell you. Most likely tomorrow night. But we're just exploring, Emmy. Just like you and me. I'm not ready to make a lifetime commitment anytime soon!"

"And I have a real chance? You're not just using me?"

"I'm not using you, Emmy. And yes, you have a real chance. I haven't made any promises to anyone. And if I do, I'll tell everyone. I hope you know me well enough to know that."

"Mike?"

"Yes?"

"Would you take me to your room and make love with me? Now?"

"No," I said gently. "Because you'd be doing it for the wrong reason. You don't need to do that to keep me or whatever you're thinking. I'm not going to forget about you, and I promise I'll see you as often as I can. And if you still want to do it for your sixteenth birthday like we talked about, I will."

"You're sure?"

"Positive. I care for you, Emmy. Enough to say we should wait."

"Have you? You know?"

"Yes."

"So you'll know how to make it perfect?"

"I'll do my best. I promise."

"Good," she said, snuggling closer.

We stayed in the lounge chair for more than an hour before she had to bike home for lunch. I made myself a ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato and added some chips to the plate. I got an RC from the fridge and went to the patio to eat. I finished my lunch, put the plate in the dishwasher, and went up to my room to get a book to read. I was on my way back downstairs when I heard a knock at the door. God apparently didn't want me to be alone for too long for some reason. When I opened the door, I saw that it was the new neighbor girl, the older one.

"Hi," Becky said.

"Hi."

"I need to apologize for my sister."

I shook my head, "No, you don't. It's OK. As I said, I'm leaving next Wednesday, so it's no big deal."

"Can I explain? Please?"

"There's really no need," I said.

Her expression changed, and she looked crestfallen. I was even more confused about what was going on. It wouldn't hurt to listen to what she had to say.

"Would you like a bottle of pop?" I asked. "And we can talk."

"Sure. A 7-Up or Sprite if you have one."

"We do. Come on, we can sit on the patio if that's OK. My parents aren't home."

"Mom knows I'm here and knows your parents aren't home. She said I can be here, and so long as we stay outside, it's cool."

I led her to the kitchen, where I got her a Sprite and myself another RC. We went out to the patio and sat at the table. I adjusted the umbrella against the Sun, and we sat down.

"So?" I asked.

"You heard how my sister was talking?"

I nodded, "It was kind of difficult to miss the full-court press."

Becky sighed, "Back in Grand Rapids, every time I liked a boy she did that. I mean, ever since she was twelve and I was fourteen. It just got worse and worse, and my parents didn't do anything about it."

"I'm missing something," I said. "I just met you!"

"My mom said you were nice and that I might like to meet you. So my sister did her usual thing. I'm really tired of it."

"Don't sweat it," I said. "She's not going to get me."

Becky laughed almost derisively, "The last two guys I liked said that. She's impossible to resist if you know what I mean? Guys always go for THAT."

"I think I get the picture. What's her problem?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's because she's the middle kid? I had an 'early childhood development' class last year, and they talked about how middle kids can have serious problems because they aren't the baby and they're in the shadow of the older kid."

"They don't offer classes like that at the High School here. We have lots of shop classes and home economics and stuff like that, but there was only one psychology class, and it was kind of a general class."

"I know. I'm not very happy about moving. My best friend is back in Michigan. I just met you, you seem like a nice guy and you're leaving right away."

"My sister is pretty cool," I said.

"I heard she's fifteen, so she'll probably end up as part of my sister's posse. It happened in Grand Rapids. I just had one best friend who I did stuff with. My sister was insanely popular. Especially with boys."

"Then she is NOT my type," I said. "Don't worry. And as you said, I'm leaving."

"She's very persistent."

"No chance. Don't worry about it. Let's talk about something else. What do you like to do?"

"Photography. I was in the photography club and took photos for our newspaper and yearbook."

"There's a photography club at the High School, though I don't know much about it. I'm the classic nerd. I focused on science and math and was on the chess team."

"No sports? You look like you're in pretty good shape."

"Karate, but it's more for self-discipline than anything. The exercise is a side benefit. What about you?"

"Field hockey. Do they have a girls' field hockey team?"

"Yes. And a boys ice hockey team."

"I almost hate to ask, but how long is the bus ride?"

"About thirty minutes. They'll pick you up at your driveway. Can't you ride with your dad?"

"Maybe. We haven't worked that out yet. I'm supposed to take the bus to start with. How are the teachers?"

"Good, for the most part. You'll miss the ones I didn't like — they were for Freshman and Sophomore English. The teacher you'll have for English or Current Events, Mr. Black, is totally cool. He LOVES to tell stories, and they're stuff your parents might have a fit about. He gets in trouble from time to time, but he still does it."

"Like what?"

"A lot of it is about literature and authors, plus he has some very different takes on things. If you like to be challenged, you'll like him."

"Sounds like he's fun. Do you think I could get on the yearbook staff?"

"I have no clue. I stayed away from that stuff as much as possible. I hate to say it, but it was pretty cliquish."

"That's normal, I think. It was that way at our school."

"Ask Mrs. Kopech. She's the college guidance counselor, but she's also in charge of the newspaper and yearbook. She's cool and super helpful."

"What are you going to study?"

"Pre-med."

"Doctor Mike?" she laughed. "Gynecology?"

"No!" I laughed. "Everyone asks that! My friends and I even joked about starting a practice called 'Three Amigos Gynecology' with the motto 'We're happy to take a look!'."

Becky laughed hard, "Cute."

"I'm actually going into trauma. That's emergency medicine. How about you?"

"Journalism, I think. I read All the President's Men when it came out and decided I wanted to be an investigative reporter. I might change my mind, but that's what I think I want to do. How did you decide on medicine?"

"I saved a little girl's life on the playground when I was in fourth grade. She was bleeding badly, and I took off my shirt and applied pressure. It got written up in the paper."

"Wow! Seriously?"

"Yeah. That's when I decided."

"Are you usually home during the day?"

"Now I am. I used to work, but Saturday was my last day because of college. Why?"

"Do you mind if I come over and hang out? WITHOUT my sister?"

"If it's cool with your mom, sure. My parents both work, though, and so does my sister. Make sure your parents know that. I don't want to get in any trouble or get you in any trouble."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.