Canoe, Canoe - Cover

Canoe, Canoe

Copyright© 2018 by SlaterChance

Chapter 2

“What can I do to help?” Angie asked, as I undid the straps on the car-top carrier.

“If you would just stand at the front of the vehicle and gently guide the canoe away if it gets too close, that would be great help,” I answered. “Otherwise I should be able to get it.”

I lifted the canoe deftly off the rack and proceeded to walk it down to the water’s edge.

“Wow, pretty impressive,” Angie said.

I rolled the canoe onto my hip, and then laid it on the sand.

“I’ve done this a few times before,” I said, slightly flexing my biceps.

The call had come a few days after my trip to the restaurant. I was in the process of playing an old Cat Stevens tune on my guitar, when the phone rang. I leaned my guitar up against the couch and reached for my cell. My first thought, was that it might be Ron, calling about the trip.

“Hello,” I answered.

“Hi, it’s me, the hostess from El Loro’s.”

My heart skipped a beat.

“Hi, I am so glad you called.”

“I checked you out with the father down the street. He said you were a stand-up guy.”

I paused, “How did he know who I was?”

“I showed him your business card. He said you came in on occasion, to work with some of the kids in the parish.”

“Duh,” I mumbled to myself.

“I decided to take you up on your offer to go on a canoe ride. I love the outdoors and haven’t been able to get out much lately.”

Her words were like music to my ears. We settled on the upcoming Thursday. She told me she was off that evening. I could see on my weather app that it looked to be a very nice day. I could sense a hint of caution in her voice, so we decided to meet me at my house.

I picked a lake that had always been a favorite of mine. It had everything one could ask for. The fishing was good, and the water was clear. It had a small island in the middle, and a secret channel which opened onto a hidden lake. The wildlife was abundant. It wasn’t uncommon to see a loon pop up near your boat. Eagles frequently flew overhead, and Sandhill cranes could be heard squawking in the distance. One of my favorite places was a bay, where the cows would come down from the hill above to cool off in the water. It made for such a serene picture, as they mingled among the Lilly pads. I was confident that the lake would make a very good impression.

I pushed the canoe out into the water.

“Can you canoe?” I mumbled in Angie’s direction.

“What did you say?” she asked.

“Do you know how to canoe?” I said again, taking the life preserver strap from between my teeth.

There was that giggle again.

“You had that strap between your teeth. It sounded like you said, “Canoe, canoe?”

“Sorry,” I said with a chuckle.

“Just walk down the center of the canoe, while I steady it for you. The main concern is to try to keep your body centered in the middle of the canoe.”

I held her hand as she stepped into the canoe. It was warm and soft. I thought I felt a momentary transfer of energy. She slowly proceeded to move to the front of the canoe. Once there, she cautiously seated herself. She was dressed in a nice pair of form fitting jeans, and a loose sweater. On her head she wore a Vikings cap, which I found very pleasing. So far, I was very happy with what I was seeing.

“I’m going to push off from shore and jump in. Just try to stay centered in the canoe.”

My entry was a little clumsy, as my shoe got caught briefly on the rim of the canoe. I adjusted my weight and sat down. I showed Angie how to hold the paddle, and informed her that I would be doing the steering from the back. She caught on quickly, and we were on our way.

The water was like glass. I looked toward the opposite shore. The reflection in the water was just the same as the tree line and the sky above. You could have taken a picture, turned it upside down, and not even noticed the deference. The only sound to be heard was that of the dipping of our paddles. A loon called, and a fish jumped. I noticed a few fluffy clouds above, and saw that the sun was getting lower in the sky. It was indeed turning out to be a beautiful evening.

“Do you do this often,” Angie asked. “It’s simply beautiful.”

“I don’t get out as much as I would like, I’ve been rather busy.”

“What was that?” Angie exclaimed, pointing into the water.

At first, it looked like a tiny seal. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was the streamlined body of a Loon. It seemed to be gliding effortlessly alongside our canoe.

“It’s a Loon”, I answered as it gradually moved out of sight. A short time later, it popped up on the surface of the lake.

“Cool!” Angie cried out. “What an interesting creature. The water is so clear. I can see a long ways down into the water. This is amazing!”

Mark one off on your scorecard, I thought. She is having a good time. The rays from the sun were beginning to shimmer on the surface of the water. Another fish jumped. I heard the ‘Moo’ of a cow, in the distance. On the ridge, a farmer was plowing his field.

“Let’s go out to the island,” I offered. “It’s not too far away.”

We gradually slipped into a smooth rhythm as we headed for the island. I watched her from behind. I will never get bored with the wonder of a woman. The long flowing hair, the delicate shoulders, and the amazing lines of the hips were all a joy to behold. The beauty surrounding me was an added bonus. The sun had reached that point where it now hung low in the sky. The world around me was being highlighted, by the angle of the sun.

The island was about a hundred feet long and maybe thirty feet wide. A number of short trees grew on shore, and there were numerous bunches of purple flowers. Somehow, a wild rosebush had found its way to the remote spot. It was now covered with flowers. A tall Great Blue Heron stood on one of the larger boulders. It flew away at the sound of our approach.

“It’s beautiful,” Angie sighed. “It’s just beautiful.”

I was so glad that she liked it. It had turned out to be a wonderful evening; a little slice of heaven. I was so pleased that everything was working out so nicely. Just then, a speedboat came around the corner. It was moving at a good clip and hadn’t spotted us. I could see the worry on Angie’s face as the large waves moved toward us.

“Just keep centered in the canoe,” I said, as I pointed the canoe into the oncoming waves.

We bobbed up and down until they had passed. Just as the water was beginning to return to its former placid condition, we heard another sound. I looked up to see a plane circling overhead.

“It’s preparing to land,” I told Angie.

Sure enough, the plane proceeded to descend toward the water. It was a smooth landing, and it was evident that Angie was impressed. The pilot deftly steered it toward one of the bigger houses along the shore.

“That plane belongs to one of my co-workers. Maybe he can take you up some day.”

“Seriously,” she responded. “You are full of surprises.”

Another fish jumped. This time it was a nice bass. I secretly wished I had brought my rod along. I could have impressed her with my fishing prowess. A couple of mergansers came into view, and then paddled back out of sight, upon seeing us. An eagle soared overhead.

“What is that large bird?” Angie asked. “It looks like an eagle.”

“You are correct,” I answered. “You get a sticker for your nature book.”

“This is so much fun. I didn’t realize how much I needed this. I am so thankful that you invited me out here with you.”

She turned toward me and gave me a big smile. Things were working out well.

The sun was beginning to set. The sky had begun to turn a brilliant shade of orange. The water was once again glassy smooth, except from the ripples made by our canoe. A dog barked in the distance. A crane squawked, as if it was being bothered by something.

“Shouldn’t we start heading back,” Angie asked. “I could stay out all evening, but it’s getting dark.”

“Unfortunately, you are right. I suppose you could hold up my phone in the front of the canoe, for a light, but my battery is running low.”

We took one last look at the little island and then headed back toward the landing. Occasionally, I would turn the canoe. We would watch the kaleidoscope of colors that appeared in the sky above us. It was one of the best shows I had seen in a while. At first it was a brilliant orange, and then purple hues began to phase in around the edges. The moon had already made its appearance. As we neared the shore, I felt something land on my arm. It was a mosquito.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.