Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 25

I was still thinking about that meeting with the Karthanian as I sat at the table in our Den and had dinner the next day.

Har-Hi took a plate and sat next to me. He forked himself several slices of roast beef on an open bun he gave me a side look and said. “If I see you stare at your food that way I would almost suspect you are contemplating doing something about that Karthanian situation.”

I pushed a pea around with my fork and said. “Of course not, there is nothing we can do anyway. We are about to go on a trip to find some long lost Seenian Depot and end the reign of the Red Dragon at the same time. Besides, even if we had the time, we know nothing about that situation or any details. If done at all, that would be a job for a Ghost Recon Marine Unit and only after month of careful planning. Not that we have any business sticking our nose into Karthanian internal politics in the first place.”

He added onions to his sandwich and said. “I am glad you think that way, as it is exactly the point. It is not our business; it is not Union business. You heard the bone face, it will eventually happen anyway. Totalitarian governments suppressing their people with force never last forever. We should concentrate on what we are going to do about the Sinister Alliance and their base first and then finding that Seenian depot. Remember what trouble we had defeating a little one man ship? Imagine the Red Dragon having the use of a Devastator like ship filled with Seenian robots. It would not be good for anyone else finding that depot either.”

I pushed the plate away. “I don’t even like peas, I wonder why I put them on my plate.” Then I said. “No worries I was just thinking, that’s all. I just don’t like an unfair situation. There aren’t just Karthanians working those Smelters you know. I have been in those slave pens and heard that the Karthanians buy human slaves for that purpose as well. They operate mines on Kaliment and who knows where else. I despise slavery like nothing else. It is the ultimate unfair situation in my opinion.”

Har-Hi bit with gusto in his sandwich and chewing around his mouthful of food he said. “I don’t like the Shiss sending Dai to do their dirty work and I would love to find out what Cam Elf Na really plans, but there isn’t anything I can do either. Besides if you don’t like peas then eat a Roast beef sandwich, it is delicious. I just discovered something called mayonnaise and it makes a sandwich even better.”

There was no sense in me mulling over that anymore and said with a grin. “I can tell! You’ve got the stuff all over your face and a big glob of it on your armor.”

Mao joined us while Har-Hi used a napkin to clean himself. He too helped himself of the roast beef and started to fabricate something that looked more like a tower than a sandwich. While he added slices of cheese he said. “Captain I was thinking about that Red Dragon, why don’t we simply capture the guy, do a brain dump and be done with it?”

Narth who had silently appeared, watched Mao piling up things on his sandwich. Narth had a plate float to him while several slices of the meat zipped through the air and placed themselves on a bread bun that split itself in the middle.

While he was doing all that he answered Mao’s question for me. “Now that his Seenian suit interference is gone I was able to probe a little into his mind. He was a Union Admiral and has excellent psionic shielding like they all do. All Union Officers of Captain rank and higher are conditioned against mind dumps. Even the most effective interrogation method would yield no results. In addition to that he seems to rely on a very strong Kermac psi-damper. The Kermac are primitive about most aspects of technology, compared to the Union, but they have built a society on fear and mistrust and developed very complex methods to shield and hide knowledge and thoughts, mostly to be protected from the probing minds of their Thought Police.”

Mao pressed with all his strength down on the sandwich, compacting and reducing its size into a barely manageable size and sighed. “It was just an idea. Besides there are other interrogation methods, you can get all sorts of information if you start pulling teeth or start skinning.”

Narth turned his shrouded head.”This is barbaric and primitive!”

“But not without its merits.”

I said. “I never was conditioned against mind dumps.”

Narth turned to face me. “Captain, no force known to Narth could make you reveal any information you do not want to reveal. We also shared the Huhgavh, you are connected to me and all that s Narth including the Narth Supreme. Besides I am certain you did receive the finest Union tech conditioning at Pauli station. You do have Red-Red-Blue clearance after all.”

As he mentioned it I remembered and said. “If I was almost like you, I could do all those neat things you can, like making a sandwich without touching anything.”

He sounded amused. “I am touching it, just not with my hands and you could do all these things as well, but you do not do to the training exercises I have given you. Your abilities are dormant and not active and that is a good thing. Releasing them uneducated could be fatal to you and your surroundings. Alice is a good example for that and with all her strength she is but a spark compared to a sun once you realize your true power.”

“I don’t think so. My HPI index is below 50 and that is just as well. I got used to that Psionic stuff somewhat, but my opinion about it hasn’t really changed. I don’t like it all that much and if I have it I am glad it is switched off.”

The sandwich Narth made started to disappear in small segments and I could see him chewing underneath his hood.

“One agrees with Har-Hi. Mayonnaise is very good.”

To me he said in his silent mental way. “Your stubborn refusal to accept that you do have psionic abilities does not alter the fact and besides, your Heidelberg Psi Index was last measured when you entered the Academy, you have shared the Huhgavh with me and you are already able to sense the moods and feelings of beings alien to you. I do not believe your HPI is still 50, but knowing you I am sure you won’t go to our CMO and be retested.”

He knew me better than I knew myself, because deep down I was afraid of what I would release if I tried, so the longer I could keep whatever it was suppressed the better.

Narth returned his attention to Mao and added to his explanation saying. “The Red Dragon, however, has no intentions to share it with us or anyone. He needs us and the others to get there and that is when our usefulness to him ends. This comes from Mehedi’s deductions by the way and not Psionic probing, but I agree.”

Seeing my friends eat I got hungry after all and reaching for a bread bun said. “I was certain he would think that way, just using my gut instinct.”

Har-Hi took another bite and his cleaning efforts were made obsolete as another dollop of mayo dropped on his harness. “Looks like we have to follow him half across the galaxy after all.”


The Tavern was located at the outskirts of a big, busy metropole of a star faring society on the surface of that cold and dry planet. The atmosphere was breathable but so dry it felt as if we were breathing invisible sandpaper. The Karthanian ship dealer had gifted us with two Karthanian shuttle craft similar to a D 20. We had used one to get down to the planet.

Har-Hi and I had left the ship to attend the meeting the Red Dragon had invited us to. The building consisted of only one big guest room with a vaulted ceiling and several sturdy wooden tables and benches. A bar with stacked barrels on one side gave the whole place a very rustic and primitive atmosphere, and reminded me of a Nilfeheim tavern.

In the center of the guest room was a big round table with fourteen chairs, ten were occupied.

I recognized the Red Dragon, Meateater and the Puup, Captain Brathering. The other Oghar at the table was Crimson Curse, we had met on Brhama Port.The brown and black striped Togar was most likely Carrhrh I had heard of him in a briefing but the rest were strangers to me.

Red Dragon got up and pointed me to an empty chair. “Everyone this is Captain Black Velvet. To me he said: “This table is for Captains only; your First Mate can of course sit with the others of our crews if he wants.”

A human man with a rugged face, lantern jaw, long black hair and a scar from over his left eye to his right cheek got up, pulled the chair out for me and bowed. His left eye looked metallic underneath his scared eyelids. “What a pleasure to finally meet you Captain Velvet. I have heard so much about you. I am Alsun Sandovahl, Captain of the Killerbeast.”

I sat down and he helped me pull the chair in and then he sat down. Har-Hi placed himself right behind me with crossed arms and his best sinister stoic facial expression. If he was not supposed to stand there, no one dared to tell him.

The man who introduced himself as Sandovahl took his seat to my left and the big Oghr, Crimson Curse sat to my right.

He actually gave me a brief nod of recognition. Just as I had taken my seat a yellow throat Shiss came in and took a seat.

An Oghar waiter came around and took orders. I declined and looked around. I noticed two women other than me were part of this meeting. One of them was human, and she had her hair dyed in a bright purple color and tied in a ponytail. A five pointed, star shaped golden colored face painting or a tattoo covering her left temple and much of her cheek.

She wore a white ruffled blouse that covered an almost flat chest.

The other woman was completely bald and had the paper white skin of a Kermac, but her sharp pointed teeth and the fine scaled texture of her skin pointed towards Shiss heritage. She appeared to embrace her lizard origin and wore a tight suit made of the scaled skin of a snake or lizard that shimmered in rainbow colors when she moved, but appeared black if she remained still.

Red Dragon banged the butt of his blaster on the table surface and said. “I wished I could have convinced a few more to take part in this extraordinary opportunity. Several who wanted, fell by the wayside, but you rough as they come, experienced freelancers, cut throats and renders should be more than enough to face down any danger or opposition we might encounter on our journey.

Since not all of you know everyone in this circle let me begin with introducing everyone, beginning with Captain Meateater to my right. He is going to be the second in command of our Convoy. While I hope we all will be able to trust each other and at the end of this journey, it is he I trust the most. He is an Oghar and commands the Intruder. His ship will be completely refurbished and refitted. The Togar next to him is Captain Carrhrh and his ship is the Celestial Nightmare.

Few of you will know of the Puup, but Captain Brathering has made himself quite a reputation and his ship the Uhui might just be the most powerful ship after the Red Dragon as it is the only purpose built warship and a genuine Kermac T cruiser.Then there is another Oghar, the famous Crimson Curse commanding the Bloody Mary, he has been longer in this business than any of us and I am glad he came around and decided to take part in this endeavour after all.

I doubt many of you have ever seen her in person, but the leather clad mysterious masked lady is Captain Black Velvet, her reputation and legend is well earned I assure you, I have seen her in action. She commands a Karthanian Armed Freighter with a treasure chamber that puts the Crown Treasury of the Togar Queen to shame.

The maimed gentleman with the piercing cyber eye is Captain Sandovahl, Union Academy graduate; former Union Officer and I can attest there is no better training in the Universe. He commands the Killerbeast a ship so heavily armed and armored one wonders how he even finds room for his crew.

That shaggy Jooltar answers to the name Basoro, there isn’t anything in this universe he hasn’t stolen or tried to steal. His ship, the Hontu, is a big darn freighter with weapons bolted on it and, if you need it, chances are he has it somewhere in his freight bays.”

Dragon paused to take a swig from his mug of beer and it looked eerie as his skull mask opened the jaws. After that he went on. “Having a Togar sit right next to a Jooltar is usually not a good idea and a recipe for disaster but Captain Lemakr is as cold blooded as a cat could be and kills only for one reason, if there is profit to be made, but then he considers half a credit profit. His ship is the well-kept Kalita.”

Next comes Captain Lia Bassett, sister and member of the Bassett clan that runs Brhama Port, she is the oddball of the family so she says, but her ship Jammer is excellently equipped, had been a Dai raider and has shields that allows her to go places others can’t.

Our third female Captain is another enigma. She calls herself Nocturna and her ship, the Executor, was manufactured to her specs at SII shipyards and features real Ultronit armor and the best civilian shields SII sells. Why she has chosen this profession, she does not tell.”

Again he took a draught of his mug and pointed to the lizard. “The Shiss next to her is Captain Rkkkz, he is a Yellow Throat Shiss, trained to be a Raider from when he was born. His ship the Shadoom has the latest in Shiss technology. He decided to go into business on his own.”

Red Dragon pointed at himself. “Finally there is me. I am the Red Dragon and my Ship, the Red Dragon, could pulverize all your ships together as it is filled with Union and functional Celtest technology.”

He sat down and gave everyone a moment to look around or drink and then he said. “We are planning to embark on a long journey into regions of this galaxy that not few of us has ever been. You all are experienced Captains and you know, as empty and desolate space can be, there are often dangerous and unexpected obstacles. There is also the challenge of fuel, supplies and engine maintenance.

Therefore we will buy two portable refineries and I expect anyone who will need fuel to chip in on the purchase price as those things are not cheap.

If you skip on that, you won’t get any of the fuel later or have to pay whatever we charge.”

Crimson Curse declined and said. “I’ve had my own refinery for years, don’t need someone else’s.”

“As the turn came to me I said. “I am also fuel independent and have my own refinery.”

Red Dragon shook his head. “What a prize your ship would have made, I wonder what other surprises you have hidden in that rust bucket.”

“Oh this, that and the other thing, and I am taking care of the rust right now.”

After he had collected the pledges for the refineries he said. “Everyone must take at least four sets of replacement parts for their engines along and hire good engineers. Once we are there we will of course return with Celtest ships but most engines need maintenance and replacement coils after 5000 light years.”

He looked at his PDD. “Make sure you take enough food and supplies along to feed your crews. So get rid of any junk you’ve got in your freight bays and stock up on essentials. Captain Basoro will take extra food and supplies but I bet he won’t be cheap so don’t say I haven’t warned you.”

Sandovahl leaned over and said. “I guess this was the official part, now comes the social one. You wouldn’t show me what you got under that mask right?”

“I just might, but then I would have to kill you.”

Crimson on the other side of me said. “You better listen to her. I’ve seen her kill Captain Bloom and she did it in a time that takes you to blink your human eyes maybe twice.”

The Dragon finished his beer and said. “Now is the time for you to tell me if you are committed and coming along or if you want to back out. If you back out or abandon us after you agreed to come along, I will personally hunt you down and destroy you.”

Crimson Curse raised his hand. “Now before I commit myself to something I am not completely convinced about. I want to hear your plan, your intentions and do you know where to go?”

The canine looking Jooltar named Basoro made a howling sound as he spoke. “It is true we heard a lot of what we are to do and to comply with all that will cost us a great deal of money. I have seen your suit, but it was not invincible as you said it would be and I know you have shields as good as a Union Battleship. You speak of invincible Celtest technology and yet a bunch of Wolfcrafts made you flee and ripped your ships stern in the process.”

Carrhrh the Togar hissed and growled at the Jooltar. “It disgusts me to admit it, but the mangy Jooltar has a point.”

Before the Red Dragon could respond, the Puup that really looked like a large teddy bear, with a maw full of inch long snake like fangs, said, “We are not talking about some bits and pieces of Celtest technology, but entire ships. Do you know the secret of Translocator cannons stems from Celtest technology? Do you know that the famous Devastator is a Celtest ship? Can you even imagine what the Kermac would pay us for a single ship like that, or the secret of Translocator cannons? It will be more Polonium, more riches than we all together could earn in ten lifetimes.”

The Red Dragon said. “I am not forcing anyone to come along. I know where to go and I know the depot is real. The path is long and not without risks, but no riskier than what we all do every day anyway. I will go there even if I have to go alone, but mark my word. I won’t know you when I come back.”

Meateater fumbled with his gold covered tusks and said with a rough mumbling sound. “That cursed wench, Black Velvet, had us over a barrel just recently and demanded millions of Polos. She settled for a single Celtest artifact as payment. I have seen her treasury and I know she is a sly business woman dealing with slaves and planets. Go tell them Velvet, tell them what Celtest artifacts, even bits and pieces are worth.”

I did not need to say anything. Carrhrh the Togar sat down and grunted. “I see it too; you are right, even a single working Celtest artifact would pay for the trip with enough profit to buy a new ship.”

The human deserter and traitor next to me held up a PDD. “We are in range for public GalNet and there is even an Xchange right here as the Golden enclave is now Union.”

He wiped his finger over the display and a three dimensional Holo appeared of a busted helmet like object.

He said. “This is a non-working broken helmet of Celtest origin. It was offered four weeks ago at the Xchange and sold for 75 Million Credits. Nine months ago, a set of confirmed Celtest eating utensils, was sold for 4 million credits.”

He said alien artifacts of long gone civilizations are the hottest commodity on the Xchange and if you can say it is Pree, UNI or Celtest, it doesn’t matter if it is a scrap piece of metal, it sells for enormous amounts of money.”

This demonstration was most likely the deciding factor and everyone agreed to come along. The human with the cyber eye said: “I am a somewhat strapped on funds. I just refurbished my ship and paid you a lot of money to go in on those refineries. I want to come along but I can’t afford four complete sets of engine parts and I actually should take at least eight. How long do we have till we leave?”

Red Dragon said.”Meateater’s Intruder is in dock and it will take at least 4 weeks to get her ready. I know there is lot of preparation to do, and some of us might have to do a little work to gather the necessary funds. While there is no set date we have to leave I would like to be ready with everything and get on our way the latest in sixty days

We will then meet on the third planet in this system and go on our quest.Anyone missing is going to be left behind. Perhaps one of us could extend you a loan or something; there are those among us quite wealthy.”

He did look into my direction as he said that.

The man shook his head. “That would be the last option, I don’t like owing anyone, but all that talk about artifacts gave me an idea. Isn’t there a planet full of ruins just an orbit closer to this sun and as I understand, you control it. Maybe my crew and I could go digging there for something to sell?”

Dragon raised his arms.

“Yes and it was the headquarters of my Sinister Alliance. The civilization that was there once killed themselves with a nuclear war. It not very old and whatever you might find is Tech Level five at best. I doubt you’ll find anything valuable, but you are of course welcome to try. It is there where we meet the next time anyway.”

The Red Dragon leaned forward. “Just keep all this for yourselves. I don’t want anyone getting ideas and following us, a Celtest depot would be a nice find for the Kermac or the Karthanians too.”

Crimson asked. “What happened to the Sinister Alliance? Wasn’t that your big project?”

“What is left of that Alliance is right here at this table. I am tired of peddling, this opportunity fell into my lap and this is the only project I am interested in. I intend to get me a Devastator like ship and fly it right to the Assembly and pulverize the whole lot. Let us all meet again in one in sixty days and then we get under way.”

The meeting had ended. I and several others immediately got up, while Meateater and a few others ordered drinks and from the looks of it intended to use the opportunity party and drink.

I was just leaving, Har-Hi and I had already gone through the door. The air was bitter cold and the lights of the big city and the huge space port painted golden halo into the sky above.

Before us to the south was a vast desert valley with a low mountain range in the distance. Two big bright moons illuminated endless rows of space ship hulks in various states of disassembly. It was one of the many junk yard fields Sobody had told us about. The tavern was one of several free standing buildings along a paved road that led to the city on one end and into the desert and perhaps to another town or city on the other.

Red Dragon and the woman Pirate called Nocturna had followed us and he stopped me saying “Black Velvet, wait a moment.”

I turned and he said. “I know we started on the wrong foot and I wanted to say that I am very glad you decided to come along after all. I think you and I are not so different. We both know what we want and go after it regardless of the challenges that try to prevent us from reaching that goal.”

I said. “Knowing you, you didn’t just come out here to compliment me.”

He laughed and said, “You are one suspicious wench and I do like that, but I actually wanted to ask if you would stay awhile. We all need to get to know each other a little better. I am aware we’re never going to be a close knit group and we all have our secrets, but I think we need to establish some base of understanding among us.”

Har-Hi interrupted and pulled his weapon pointing to a shadow and said. “Someone did listen in on this meeting of yours.”

Now I saw it too, two shadowy shapes had emerged from a basement door of the tavern and were running in a hunkered fashion across the road and towards the junkyard.

Red Dragon cursed pulled his blaster and flanked over the hand rail that was part of the five step stairs leading to the tavern’s main entrance.

Why I flung myself over the same railing, pulling my own weapon, I could not really say. I did hear Har-Hi making a sighing, groaning sound as he followed as well. The Dragon said while we crossed the road.

“The Tavern is run by a former pirate and is a sanctuary for the likes of us, but it looks like he sold out after all. Those could be Kermac, Togar, Kartanian heck these could be anyone’s spies. I want to know who listened in.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.