Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 23

Chula survived, his men did too, because most of them ran as fast as they could. However the prince regained consciousness, with a broken jaw a broken sword and swollen eye. His armor flex suit in tatters.

A bird like being kept laughing.”Never seen such a lucky fool, threatening a Juth-Ni and surviving it.”

Someone else in the onlooking little crowd said.”You and your goons better get up and get back to your ship or hotel. When the Karthanian street patrol shows up, you will dig for Kalimun tomorrow.”

Chula did get up on unsteady feet, unable to really speak as his jaw was really broken and he was in a world of pain.

His friends helped him into a Taxi flier. He could only mumble and no one really understood what he was saying.”We buy a warship and hunt that pirate. No one rejects my love and the Dai must die!”


We had explored the Karthanian city or at least its downtown district and found ourselves in a reasonably clean tavern or restaurant of sorts. The owner or manager was a Gothar. By now I was able to identify the species and I felt quite proud of myself, maybe I was slowly becoming a spacer after all.

The food advertised was according to the proprietor quite safe for humans and very good. I declined and opted for Thil. If it was served ice cold it was drinkable, but had the taste of the cheapest watered down beer I could imagine. Of course I would never say that out loud because of Har-Hi.

Narth and Shea however were brave enough to order some of the food. TheOther declined as well and simply ordered a bucket of ice water.

I asked him.”What do Y’All eat?”

“We can consume any biological substance, but are supposed to rip apart enemies and gorge on the raw gore. Mostly for psychological effects I am sure. I personally developed a palate for good Italian food and I rather eat back on the ship.”

I could not help myself and laugh.”TheOther, you are certainly full of surprises and never cease to amaze me with your answers. I really believe you are not the average Y’All but I have to agree I am also spoiled by our ship’s fare.”

Har-Hi and I received the Thil and he looked at the metal cup and sighed.”And I used to love Thill, now I think it is a watery excuse for beer. I much rather had one the captain’s Holsteiners.”

Just as I wanted to say something, a group of beings entered the eatery. I was certain they were spacers and in the same business we are supposed to be in. Unlike the colorful and loud crew of Dentar Bloom we had met at Brhama Port, these appeared to me as professionals. The eight being group was centered on upright walking Nubhir wolf with very dark eyes.

Har-Hi said quietly.”. I have never seen one myself, but I think he is a Porsthir. They are about as distant from Upward and Union space as you can be in the M-0 galaxy.”

All eight wore dark gray suits, were armed with an assortment of guns and bladed weapons. Among the beings were a very muscular and well endowed female Togar with light gray, black striped fur. Her main weapon was a big battle ax, she carried with one hand over her shoulder. Two of the beings were truly non humanoid, walking on four legs, neither of my friends could identify the species.

The group settled at a large table not to far from us. They sized us up the same way we did, the curious professional way, to see if the other group might present possible problems.

They ordered drinks and food and paid no more interest to us.

The second group entering the eatery however was well known to us. It was the Red Dragon, Meateater, Shupuz, Sodex, Ivok and the Wartook known as the Cruel One

It was apparent they finally made it to Kaliment as well.

Red Dragon with his fists propped against his hips said loudly.”I knew I recognized that venerable rust bucket out there on the landing field, if it isn’t feisty Captain Velvet.”

I sighed and said.”The one with the real rust bucket should be out there fixing his collection of scrap metal instead wasting his last polos on drinks.”

Meateater of course knew I was talking about him and he was visibly boiling with anger, but kept quiet.

Red Dragon bowed slightly. “What a sharp tongue and I would agree with you, but he has to wait for the delivery of parts to his Shankar drive. It is not something anyone seems to have in stock.”

“Maybe he is looking at the wrong places. Museums, scrap dealers or curiosity collectors might have them. If that galaxy conquering plan of yours hinges on the equipment your associate, I am not so sure you are serious about it. Maybe I need to go back to regular business.”

Meateater exploded with anger. “You arrogant Igrass witch, I am going to roast your liver after I ripped it out through your throat. I am going to sell your crew to slavers...”

Red Dragon physically restrained him.”She sits with the Y’All and the Dai you fool.”

To me he said.”Velvet my offer remains, we will meet at Itheamh and discuss the endeavour and also who will come along and who doesn’t. Meateater will spend much time and resources at Itheamh docks where his Intruder will receive Karthanian engines and other upgrades.”

In all this, I overlooked the other table of spacers. The gray pelted Porsthir rose from his seat and pointed at the Wartook. “I traveled far in the search of you, Cruel One and now you walk into my presence. I ask you and anyone associated with you to step outside so we may finish our business. I am sure you remember.”

The place went quiet and the bird like proprietor came running.”Please do not fight in here. In serve everyone...”

The crew around the Porsthir had all stood up and one of the unidentified beings, until now hunched on four legs, rose to his hind legs to at least four meters, its head now only a handswith from the ceiling with a grayish blue smooth skin and two eyes on each side of its head, pointed its front legs towards the Wartook.”I am sure he has no problem remembering me.” To the Gothar it said.”Should damage occur caused by us, we will compensate you.”

The Cruel One, despite his non human appearance was clearly distressed.”You have no business being here! I am in the company of no less than six ship masters, each in command of mighty vessels and formidable crews. I do not quarrel with riff raff like common thugs on the streets. You might just as well turn around, your long journey proved to be a fool’s errand.”

The Red Dragon apparently was as uninformed about this as we were.”I do not know what this is all about, but I tend to stick up for my associates. why don’t you tell us your apparent problem and we might b able to sort it out.”

“There is nothing to sort out. Either you step aside or I consider you an accomplice to that cowardly butcher.”

Six Orkh-Oghr in Karthaninan uniforms and Kermac Line Blasters now made the Tavern fell crowed. Obviously summoned by the business owner.

The lead Orkh growled.”There will be no violence by visitors to this planet or whoever survives will find themselves scraping Kalimun from the frozen rock tomorrow.”

The Cruel One now feeling safe laughed. “You stupid mutt, take your rag tag crew and go back past the Galactic Bulge and scare a few Yotenen traders. This side of the galaxy is too hot for amateurs like you.”


COWARDS

I was certain a fight was about to start, Orkh-Oghr or not. While I was not a body language expert like Lt. Senhadjii and none of the Porsthir captain’s crew members belonged to a species I was familiar with, the posture of the group was unmistakable.

The Red Dragon said to the leader of that other team.”Let us postpone hostilities. If I understand you are of a region of space I am particular interested in, you would not be interested in providing a little local knowledge to an endeavour of mine?”

“I would rather die than providing you with anything. You proclaimed to be an associate of this foul coward trying to hide behind you.”

The dragon did not like that, he always wanted to be in charge; perhaps a side effect of being an Admiral for quite a spell, that and of course being Thauran. I scolded myself to generalize again.

The disguised Thauran snarled.”I gather you are new to these parts. I am the Red Dragon and there isn’t anyone as powerful and dangerous out there, so heed my warning, pelted one. You can be nice and civilized and be on my side or you might find yourself paying for your oversights.”

“Since it seems my associate knows these parts you call home, your expertise is not even needed.”

“Now leave this place or I have you cleared out. You are on the biggest table and I decided we need it.”

The Orkh-Oghr guards seemed uncomfortable with the situation. Their leader said.”While it is not big secret that you, Red Dragon have some connection to the Hull Builders guild, but this side of the planet is run by the Engine builders. So we simply leave now and collect evidence and survivors for the mines later.”

While the Orkh patrol left, more of Red Dragon’s crew appeared in the door, with drawn weapons. One of them I remembered well, being part of the self invited dinner party, holding a big blaster.”I believe our Captains made it clear to vacate that table.”

I said to the Porsthir captain.”I would be honored to have you and your crew as my guests. Maybe I can show you that chivalry exist in this part of the universe.

Oh and I doubt anyone brave enough, objecting.”

The wolf like leader did get up.”It will be a sensible thing to do I assume. However I am not done with this coward.”

He got up shoved the entire table across the empty space and joined it with ours. His crew took the seats and the Porsthir said.”This is what you meant, right?”

“As if you read my mind. Now drink, eat and be merry. To the still present proprietor I said.”Bring the best and anything my friends and guests may order. I gladly be the host.”

The Red Dragon and his entourage, clearly felt the open insult and joined two tables themselves thus creating a clear divide in the eatery.

Har-Hi noticed and said with a grin. “Just like the planet.”

The wolf like being stood and said.”I am Parth Winthers, the shipmaster of the Whispering Vengeance. This is part of my crew. We are indeed from very far and we travelled for several rotations to this region of space.”

“Welcome then to the Upward sector as we call this quarter of the galaxy. I am Black Velvet, captain of the Silver Streak. Now I was very serious, I feel honored by your presence and it will add much honor if you accept my invitation for food and drink. Please indulge yourself in whatever you like.”

“Good captain Velvet, we came here for a few drinks and information, but the information we were seeking walked through the door, so we will gladly accept your hospitality.”

While we only made small talk, I carefully avoided any nosy questions. Somehow I felt it was good to gain the trust of this shipmaster and his crew.

The captains on the other table and their associates kept glancing over with hostile gazes. Just as the first dishes and courses were served, more of my crew showed up. Sobody, Hans, Elfi and Ak Pure with two of our marines. Of course Specialist Warner was also part of the group, although I didn’t see him at first because he was walking on his own feet, rather than hitching a ride on Hans broad shoulders.

Our group started to become merry indeed.

Captain Winthers leaned forward into the table to reach for one of the spicy meat snack balls, the Gothar praised as Dai inspired and spicy.

He was right about the spicy part, but Har-Hi complained they weren’t spicy enough.

Winthers chewed and said with a lower tone. “We travelled far to find that monster over there. He calls himself the Cruel One and I can assure you he lives up to that.”

I was sure there was more to come and so I didn’t say anything. Narth in my head told me that the Wartook had committed a series of horrendous crimes while he had been in the Downward sector of the M-0 galaxy and that Winthers was not really a pirate, but more of a privateer in the actual sense of the term, as he was empowered by his government to hunt down the Wartook and his associates. Narth further explained that Winthers was truly a private party and did acts of piracy but only against enemies of his government.

Winthers of course had no idea, that Narth was reading his mind and asked to us.”You know this Wartook ship master?”

“I know very little of him. He appears to be part of a group called the Sinister Alliance, and its leader is that masked red dressed pirate going by the name of Red Dragon.”

I tried another of the meatballs, but unlike Har-Hi, I was unable to stick the whole thing in my mouth.I had to eat the thing in small bites and add the plain soft bread they had served with it.

Har-Hi grinned at me.”You fight like better than a Dai, but it seems Dai food might be a tad too spicy for you.”

Shea countered for me.”Remember when the captain opened the can of Surströmming, that came with the mail on Sin 4? You actually passed out!”

Har-Hi visibly lost a shade of red and became paler.”Spirits of the Universe, that stench would cause the evacuation of the biggest Dai Mother.”

He looked at me.”I take that back, Captain. Whoever can stand that smell and eat whatever was in that can is the toughest being, period.”

TheOther nodded.”I completely agree, I have a very poor developed sense of smell and I believe I was the first Y’All that threw up.”

Ak Pure shrugged.”I thought it smelled kind of appetizing.”

I made an apologizing gesture toward Winthers.”I must apologize, Captain.Instead of discussing food we should of course pay attention to our guests.”

He curled his chaps. “I greatly enjoy the deep comradeship your crew displays. I want to invite you to my ship, so I can return your courtesies and maybe talk a little more open.”

Narth gave an almost invisible nod and said in my mind.”The invitation is genuine and there are no hidden agendas, other than his desire to speak more openly.”

“I gladly accept your invitation then.”

“It is for all your crew present as well of course.”


While he, his crew and most of my friends were gathering outside, Sodoby and I paid the Gothar proprietor. I was in no particular hurry, exchanged a few words with the avian being, when the sharp crack of a Line blaster echoed through the doors. Loud voices and yelling followed. I ran as fast as I could, Narth told me.”Shipmaster Winthers has been shot. Hans and TheOther are after the shooter.”

With drawn weapon, I joined the group outside.

The pleasant and professional Porsthir lay on the pavement, the blast has hit him from the back and had completely vaporized his head. His female cat warrior was sprawled on the ground next to him. I could see no apparent wounds.

Red Dragon, his friends and the Wartook came out the restaurant too and the Cruel One snickered. “What an unfortunate end for such a long journey.”

Just as he said it with an amused tone, Hans completing an enormous jump landed right before us with a pavement shaking thud, in his right fist he held a struggling Basil and in the left a long range Kermac Line blaster.”This is the coward who killed Winther’s and wounded the Jakone.” Hans motioned towards the tall being, hunkering down in wound shock, missing a limb with severe burn wounds to its entire right side.”

Narth said in my mind.”The assassin is a Basil and he is a crew member of the Tormentor. He received the instructions to kill Winthers, his crew members and as many of us as possible.”

A cold anger grew somewhere below my stomach. “You just declared war on me Wartook, run! Run now, take off and flee, remain if you dare!”

The Red Dragon raised his hands.”Now wait a minute...”

“No I will not, you protect that cowardly son of a bitch and our deal is off. I am neither impressed nor afraid of you, the Tormentor or all of you together. This Basil is his crew member and received his instructions to kill the Porsthir and as many of my crew as possible.”

“How would you know that?”

“My large friend will now demonstrate how fast he can rip a Basil’s legs out, unless that scum speaks up.”

The lizard had no illusions to survive that and yelled.”She speaks the truth. The Cruel One is my captain and he ordered me to do it and then blast the Y’All and as many as I can.”

The Wartook wanted to shoot his own man, but he stopped as he looked into the business end of my weapon.”If there is one thing I hate, it is unfair situations. Shooting someone in the back from a great distance, is about as unfair as can be!”

He glanced at the Red Dragon, but he shook his head.”Sorry, but your man spilled it. You started it, you end it.”

“Hans please get that Jakone to our ship and let Cateria do her thing.”

The Saturnian handed the assassin to TheOther, then gently lifted the alien being of the pavement and took off like a rocket. Two marines following him like homing missiles making sure no one even tried to interfere.

The battle ax wearing cat came stumbling to her feet and said to TheOther.”Your push saved my life, but you should have saved his.”

“I only reacted after the second blast. I did not foresee this attack.”

She nodded slowly and then swung her ax in a lightning fast move and decapitated the Basil, held by the Y’All. With a bone chilling predator howl she raised her ax and screamed pointing at the Wartook.

The captain of the Tormentor did not hesitate, turned on his heel and ran as fast as he could, only to gain distance. He twisted his upper body raised his blaster to end the life of the ax swinging cat. He was instantly perforated by shots fired from TheOther, Shea, Har-Hi and me.

“Fine associates you have, Red Dragon. If those are the ones you want to rely on making a 75,000 light year trip, you won’t get very far.”


RED DRAGON

Meateater was furious and he actually yelled at the Red Dragon. “I helped you get started, I showed you the pirate business and made sure you got a good crew, heck I even invested money and loot. Yet you treat me like a piece of Taragit ofal, when she’s around. She almost killed you too, remember that.”

It was true, the Red Dragon owed Meateater. When the Karthanians had fixed and modified the ship he didn’t really know how to get started, he was an Union Admiral and while he had to admit that he was less than a stellar officer, ever since he started dealing with the worm and kept on sliding down the slippery slide. Swynon was not stupid or he would not have been made an Admiral, but ever since he was on the run he was also out of familiar waters. He could not go back to Thauran worlds, not to his family. He officially was dead and executed, but he had no illusions NAVINT and CID knew he was alive after that stunt of the cursed Kermac agent.

Creating a new identity wasn’t all that easy without knowing what to do or where to go.

It was then when he met Meateater. The brutish Oghr pirate showed him the ropes.

How to establish a new identity in Freespace; how to select and hire capable crew and frankly how to be a pirate captain. With Meateater’s help he managed to create the Sinister Alliance and become a known pirate. It was Meateater who helped him to gather a few shiploads of throat cutting scum and attack Outpost 96. It was Meateater who towed his damaged ship back to Itheamh, because his personal nemesis that cursed Neo Viking of all people flew a Wolfcraft. Who knew this human waste on legs, flew like the devil himself and was able to sent Loki Torpedoes past the engine shield gaps and shred his aft.

Without Meateater he would have been the laughing stock of Freespace.

He always had been out for himself first, but that gruff and usually grumpy Oghr had become his closest ally and almost something like a friend.

In the lonely hours in his private cabin aboard the Red Dragon, he knew he had lost everything. He would never be able to return to Bleu his homeworld, see his wife or his spoiled and misguided son. A son he still loved, despite it all.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.