Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

There was always someone in our Pirate Den. It had become the most popular recreation room of the ship. Even more than the actual R Deck facilities. It had become a second mess hall and if needed with dividing curtains raised there was plenty of room for the entire crew to eat. Of course it also provided a challenge for the galley, as this was a Hangar and not meant for food service.

While there were vent-matics and drink dispensers on pretty much every deck. There weren’t any down here as the ship designers did not anticipate this unusual arangement, but that didn’t stop my crew. Circuit had asked permission to make some changed and I knew he was working on ways to address the many logistical problems that my spontaneous idea to have our meals in a hangar caused.

Luckily my crew was still technically a skeleton crew. 360 serving her instead of the 800 she was designed to have.

As I entered our Pirate’s Den, a Vantax standing next to the door started to clap and seconds later everyone applauded me. The Vantax I had seen only during my initial address said. “Captain, I am proud to serve you. This was a mighty fine thing you did. I doubt any other Captain would have ever admitted to something and apologized.”

I tried to remember his name, as he was in civilian attire, he did not have a name tag. Thankfully I received Narth’s thoughts. “This is Lt. Ziodo. Call him Dr. Ziodo, he much prefers academic titles over his rank. He is part of our science department and the resident xeno biologist.”

“Dr. Ziodo, I appreciate the sentiment but this isn’t necessary. I still will have to give orders that won’t be liked and this perhaps raised expectations I can’t always meet.”

“You underestimate your crew, Captain. We are all Union citizens even before we started wearing uniforms. The commitment to duty and the understanding of doing one’s part is part of our shared society for nearly 3000 years.”

I wondered how a Vantax ended up in a Fleet ship. They were known to be very peaceful and shy and not very many found their way into the armed services.

The only other Vantax I had ever met was during year two at the Academy and he was a political science instructor there. The Vantax before me had the same rainbow fish skin, elongated head and triangular very pronounced eye sockets with deep black eyes. There was nothing that resembled a nose or ears. The deep set mouth reminded me of a Flicker fish. He also had very large hands with three fingers and a thumb.

He added. “Perhaps you wonder why a Vantax was picked for this crew, Captain?”

“Dr. Ziodo, this crew was handpicked by immortals and fleet admirals. So far I can say I am a very lucky Captain, they gave me perhaps the best crew in the Universe.”

“I am here, because I was aboard the Lucky Green, five years ago. We were attacked by pirates and many passengers lost their lives. Yes we Vantax are known to be peaceful and abhor violence in all its forms, but I came to realize that sometimes there is no alternative to violence if you want to live and protect yourself and those you care about. We Vantax are peaceful. Sadly the Universe isn’t. There are quite a few in your crew with similar stories, Captain. Almost all of us have lost loved ones to pirates, slavers and the like. Like your XO said, Captain. I too will travel to the end of the galaxy with you.”

“There isn’t really much I can add to this, Dr. Ziodo.” I was however deeply moved by his statement.

“Your idea of turning this local microbe into a material defeating weapon is brilliant, Captain. We just finished mapping the DNA and I am certain it can be tweaked to do what you had in mind.”

“It was just a hypothetical thought. I had no idea you guys take that literally.”

“All it takes is an idea for every invention.”

Over at the big table was Circuit and a small crowd. I also noticed Narth and Shea.

Suddenly out from between them a black object with large wings shot up in the air with a loud screech and approached me fast.

The only weapon I had was the old Colt. I had the gun out of the holster in an eye blink but not fast enough. Whatever it was, landed on my shoulder.

To call me completely surprised was an understatement. Some kind of lizard like life form with large leathery wings, a long spiked tail and an equally long almost snake like neck with a small head, and a maw filled with needle sharp teeth sat right next to my face.

I was bringing up the old gun to blast the thing when my hand met with an invisible barrier and Narth said. “Please don’t kill it.”

“What in the name of Loki is that? And get it of my shoulder.”

The animal or whatever it was protested quite loud as invisible telekinetics lifted it off my shoulder, shredding the thin leather over the micro mesh in the process.

The whole gang present seemed to hold their collective breath.

“Hello guys this is your Captain. Something big, ugly and alive just landed on my shoulder and shredded my suit anyone care to explain.”

Narth said. “This is what hatched out of the egg that Circuit bought at the pirate market the other day,”.

I noticed it to be very intelligent and on the threshold of sentience. It also appears to feel a great attraction to you for some reason.”

“You let Circuit bring in an alien egg and let it hatch? What if the thing hatched some mind controlling indestructible monster from another dimension, or contaminated us all with a deadly disease? Don’t we have proper bio containment equipment and specialists?”

I noticed Dien Tallow and the brunette scientist in the crowd and they both made guilty faces.

Shea said. “It’s clean, no harmful bacteria or any other kind of microbes. And it was in a cage, just moments ago...”

“So you say it harmless, right?”

Shea spread her arms. “No not exactly, we think it could be a tad dangerous”

“In Odin’s name. I don’t mind you buying souvenirs or collect critters at the trash dump, but I did not expect a flying snake with bat wing deciding to use me for a perch. Since you are all in it together, maybe you elect someone to explain the whole thing from the start and then what is it?”

Shea said. “Circuit bought an egg from a curiosity dealer among many other things. And we scanned it all before he carried it aboard. Narth noticed the egg not to be a sculpture but the cell of a life form. He was certain the creature had latent psionic abilities.

Well Circuit developed sort of fatherly feelings for it and did not want us to harm or dissect it.

Long story short it ended up in Bio Lab 2 safely contained, and it hatched overnight.

The life form somehow managed to get out and played with Circuit and half the science staff.

Narth was certain the thing opened the cage with psionics and now we know it can phase shift.”

“Somehow got out doesn’t sound safely contained to me, and what is Phase Shift?”

“It is able to bypass matter in a quantum state. Or in other words going through solid objects. Now it can’t go through our quad-compacted Ultronit or the Neutronium lined walls armor of the Tigershark, but normal Ultronit walls inside and normal doors seem not to be a barrier.

It followed Circuit and Narth said it has friendly feelings. In terms of science this little beast is an enigma and we don’t know what it is. Sobody thinks he knows an old legend of the Ongloran empire about winged space demons. Not that anything like this exists,”

I said. “It does. Demons, beings of a Nether universe do exist. I think the inhabitants of a place called Anti Universe are close to that definition if I understand it correctly. The Netherworld are the source of many of these demonic stories.”

They all looked at me as if I told them I believed in faery tales.

Narth said, with a very uncharacteristic tone of surprise. “The captain is correct, the Narth Supreme just verified it.”

Our Yeoman stepped next to me. “I am of the Coven and I have come from that Nether Plane. Our true existence is known to very few. Our Captain is the reason we Coven are Union members and the Narth Supreme has supported our membership. We decided to keep our true origin secret, as it is disturbing, hard to understand and frightful to most.

Only two humans alive have seen us in our true form and have not been afraid, Admiral Stahl and Captain Olafson.” She gestured towards the animal. “This little beast however is not from the Netherworlds as far as I can tell.Certainly not from any nether plane I know.”

Har-Hi gave me a strange look as he said. “We Dai have many legends of fiery winged demons haunting the Igras Expanse and a few other places beyond space known to the Union, so have many cultures. I am not surprised that there is truth to the legends, or that our captain knows about it. I am surprised that they are members of the Union though.”

“Only we Coven are. Not that there is much cross activity, Nether universe life usually can not exist here. Because you are more than shipmates I divulged this to but please do not add it to any offcial reports”

They all promised.

“Can we get back to that thing now?”

Narth said. “For reasons I can not ascertain this creature appears to have deep affection for you.”

“Let it go.”

Sure enough the vicious looking mini dragon or flying snake with legs screeched flapped his leathery wings and landed on my outstretched arm. “You couldn’t find us a Nubhir puppy or a cat?” I asked Circuit.

Shea laughed.”The ship needed a mascot. I think this one fits quite nicely.”

I looked at the thing closer and said. “The dragon Fenris in our Book of Legends looks a bit like this thing.”


Over the next two days we heard nothing from the Red Dragon. But our own little dragon was seen playing with crew members all over the ship and seemed to feel right at home.

I wondered how I should phrase that in my logbook.

It was actually quite boring, sitting there on this landing field.

The fifth day passed without much going on. Elfi had hacked into their transmissions and we knew it was the Intruder that caused the delay. The Oghar’s ship had engine problems They managed to find a suitable spare part only after the third day and it took them four more days to install it. The Dragon had called us several times and gave us updates.

He had officially invited us to follow him to Itheamh where he would reveal his plan to all he considered worthy to join him in his endvour.

Even though Circuit’s Nanites managed to infiltrate their data banks there was no information about the Seenian depot.

It really looked like we had no other choice but to follow him until we were able to obtain that information.

The Nul prince had been able to talk to his father and most of the crew had a chance to call home as well.

The Tigershark did not have the same elaborate recreational facilities as the Devastator or a battleship, but we did have four Holo tanks and an elaborate Virtu Library. Since we were within reach of GalNet, we also had access to the latest entertainment offerings. According to Narth and Har Hi, the crew was in good spirits and no one resented the possibility that we had to go on a long trip, much longer than anticipated.

The Fleet had thousands of years’ experience how to keep crews happy even on long assignments. Our ship was well equipped, but the fact that we weren’t in space and that we stood on the same spot now for almost two weeks without the chance to really go outside was not something I wanted my crew to experience much longer.

I was in one of our gyms and exercised my sword skills, going through the thousand moves exercise, ancient instructions part of the ancient party of the Gray Cat Warrior tome. This old book of fighting instructions been core part of Master Alameda’s tutorship.

I found great solace and inner balance while doing that under dimmed light. It was an exercise that required great concentration especially now, as Master Alameda was here via Avatar presence, and as usual was not shy pointing out where I had to improve.

He was not at all happy with my sword draw and complained that I did it with little elegance. He demonstrated and I knew I still had a long way to go to come even close to his level.

He no longer instructed at the academy. He had retired and lived on a Saresii world near snow capped mountains in a very simple house with sparse furniture.

Then he suddenly switched from instructing me and attacked and I had to give my all not to be sliced in ribbons.

The Avatar projection was a shaped force field that simulated the texture and weight of a real person. The simulated sword was sharp enough to cut and kill. He continued his instruction and talked as if he was taking an afternoon stroll.

“It looks like my pupil has trained with the Sojonites and learned some ancient moves not taught on Sares since the first Empire. Very impressive but sloppy, don’t concentrate so hard, let it flow.”

I was not sure if I should have been more impressed by him knowing that or by the fact that he was still light years ahead of me.

I grinned and parried another lighting fast attack.”I also trained with a Viking goddess and Master De La Loupe.”

“Fine instructors indeed, sloppy pupil however.” And he punished me by slapping the flat side of his blade across my butt. It was more embarrassing than hurting, and after the third time I got angry and suddenly he stopped talking and we fought silently. Only the whispering blades interrupted the silence and then he said. “When you tap your inner anger you change. Your style changes in a new amalgam I do not recognize. You no longer exercise you are out to kill and that my pupil is both good and frightening, I bowed in the required manner and then wiped the sweat of my face.

“I don’t know if I could ever get angry enough to beat you Master Alameda.”

He also bowed.

“I know I don’t want to be there for real when you do my pupil. Continue with the Ahkth-urm exercise, your draw is very sloppy and if you are still stuck on that planet we shall continue tomorrow. Now my fish need attention and feeding.”

With these words his avatar blinked out. Only now did I notice Har-Hi standing at the door to the gym, and he said. “He is right you know. I consider myself a good blade fighter and I don’t think there are many Dai or Humans I would need to fear, but when you get in that zone of yours, all I really want to do is run.”

“Come on, flattering your Captain isn’t your style. I am nowhere your equal when you fight for real.”

He said pointing at the blade I carried. “Interesting weapon that old Saresii blade. It has elements of the humans’ Samurai sword and the Dai Kith-mner. Show me that Ahkth-urm exercise.”

In perfect tandem like exercising with my own shadow, Har Hi and I went through every move.

Elfi called and said. “Sorry to disturb you two, half the ship is watching with awe but there is a large freight skimmer approaching us requesting boarding permission. The person requesting it is someone asking for assistance from her Soja. She also requests tactical support as she is under attack.”

“Clear Hangar Bay E and let her board. Tactical assist with all means necessary, but use the weapons of our Janus disguise first. Launch one of our new Wolfcrafts if neccessary. The safety of that skimmer is paramount. Clear all personnel off and around Hangar Bay E until I give the okay. This area is off limits to all. Put Marines on all access ports.”

Har-Hi gave me a surprised look. There was a big question mark in his face and I said to him:

“As soon as I know details I’ll fill you in, until then, this is Blue-Blue-Red classified and so is the Hangar area. He nodded turned on his heel and ran towards our fighter bay.

I rushed to the hangar wondering why the Mother Superior was coming using the nickname she had given me and why she was coming with a freight skimmer. She had said nothing when I met her.

Moment later she arrived. It was a big modern freight skimmer, of the same type I had used on Nilfeheim. It had several scorch marks, but was not damaged too seriously. From its crew compartment came four black dressed Sojonites and the Mother Superior. I rushed over to her and said. “Are you okay? I hope you are not harmed in any way.”

“I am fine my Soja. It warms my old heart to see and feel the concern you have for my well-being. My mind calls me a fool for not calling ahead and tell you, but there was so much to do.”

I said to her. “The hangar is secure to Blue-Blue-Red protocol; can you tell me what happened?”

She put a hand on my shoulder. “You happened, my Soja. This world was the same for centuries and no change was in sight, but you came and Sin 4 is soon no more. I have evacuated the temple due to the pending storm that is about to happen. The regular Sojonit sisters have left already. The Minerva has taken many sisters and all our temple furniture, but you know there are components and secrets that cannot be trusted to anyone. Secrets that need to be kept even from the soon arriving Union forces, and these secrets are in this skimmer. I used every precaution to make sure no one associated this freight skimmer with the Order, and I made a big detour, but such a big freight skimmer attracted the usual sky vermin over the city and I am very thankful for that flying thing and the skillful shooting of your tactical officer.”

I asked. “What will happen to the Sojonit Order?”

“Nothing at all, we will continue to do business. Our main temple at the Rainbow World is not affected and we have thousands of temples all over the galaxy. Just this one needs to be relocated, unless the Stik want us back. So we will be your guests until we can arrange for a Sojo transport to take these things to a new location.”

“This might not be anytime soon; as there is the possibility I am going to take a long trip to unknown regions of the Galaxy.”

Se nodded. “I know, I have talked to Richard. He is working on a solution as we speak and said for now we will be safest aboard your ship. These four Avenging Angels are my personal guard and also members of te Gray cat society. Two of them you already know, they are also Saresii and Union members and might become useful and I am sure I can be useful to you as well.”

“What do you want me to tell my crew?”

“I will remain the Mother Superior for the time being and you can tell them everything I told you without going too much into detail about my true identity and the things we did underneath the temple.”

I did brief my senior officers with Mother Superior present and then went to take a shower and change. I was barely inside the shower cabin when Elfi called me again.

“Captain you are needed on the bridge. There is much going on outside and Har-Hi just called for Battle stations.”

At the same moment I heard the Klaxons.

I said “Har-Hi, report.” while jumping into the Auto Dresser.

“Hell just broke loose on Sin 4. Everyone with Spaceships is fleeing and we are attacked as well as all the other Ships. The attackers are panicked mobs of beings.”

I made it to the bridge and into the Conn Seat a few moments later. On the main viewer I saw thousands of beings swarming the Landing field. Some firing hand weapons at the still present ships.

Elfi said. “Captain the Red Dragon is hailing us.”

“Put him on.”

The red dressed pirate appeared on the screen and said. “You better get your ship of planet fast. We meet at Alvor’s Cove as that is as far as Meateater will make it with his half fixed engines.”

I asked. “What is causing all this?”

On a side screen I saw the Red Dragon lifting off, pulling the Intruder with a tractor beam while the Pirate on the main screen answered.

“The News just came through that Sin 4 is now a Union World. The Devastator and a huge Union armada supposedly is already on its way. I don’t want to be here and find out this is true.”

I nodded. “Alright, see you at Alvor’s Cove.”

The transmission blinked off and I said. “Shaka get us out of here, Krabbel plot a course to Alvor’s Cove and Elfi get me a secure Channel to Admiral Stahl directly if you can.”

The Admiral appeared on our main screen almost right away, as if had waited for this call. “The days of the old Sin 4 are numbered. I will be there in 15 Minutes. Do you have our friend aboard?”

“Yes Mother Superior is safely aboard. We are breaking Orbit in a few minutes and heading for Alvor’s Cove. I was just wondering if we can get a Visual Feed. It’s Shea’s Home you know.”

He smirked and said. “Turn off your Janus device and activate your real transponder and you can see for yourself. Go to Fleet Alpha. I am designating the USS Tigershark as a forward observation Unit. We need to rendezvous anyway so I can take the Sojonites aboard.”

I looked to Narth and asked. “Narth can we switch unobserved?”

He said. “We are in the upper atmosphere obscured by clouds below and there is nothing in range that could see us from above. It should be no problem”

“Then go for it and turn on our Union transponder. Elfi switch to Fleet Alpha. Shaka take us out of orbit. I need to see that.”

Somehow it felt good to me to be an Union ship on the outside too. This was the first time we represented our true likeness and name to the Universe. Remain on Battle stations and Mao activate all our weapons.”

Mao almost exploded with pride.”Yes, Captain!”

Narth magnified the optical sensors and we witnessed seconds later the Devi dropping out of Quasi and with her the entire First Fleet. The Union Navy had many fleets and each of these so called number fleets consisted of four Battle groups, plus Fleet Tenders, Hospital Ships, Repair Ships, Planet Bombers, Drop Ships and Marine Carriers, but only the first Fleet also included the mighty Devastator.

It was an incredibly unforgettable sight and demonstrated more than anything I had ever seen before the true power and might of the Union.

TheOther who almost always stood near Hans at the Security Station when he was not on official duty whispered: “Oh my God!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.