Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 16

ASSEMBLY DOME, PLURIBUS UNUM

The leader of all Nul could not help but being deeply impressed by the giant sphere. It was more than an architectural masterpiece of tremendous size, it was a symbol of power.

He had just arrived after a very fast flight from the Nul new core world aboard the newest and fastest Arsenal ship, the USS Major Knt’she. A 4,800 meter bephemoth that dwarved everything of the Nul fleet.

But he was not treated as a mere guest, but with the greatest respect and courtesy.

The Vanguard had replaced the USS Shetland as the Union flag ship and was the ship designated for Admiral McElligott. While the Admiral of the Fleet was not aboard, he had been talking to the Admiral via Avatar technology.

Now he had arrived at the very center of Union might. He stood there at the very center of the sphere, aptly named the Focus Point. He slowly looked around unable to count the many alcove. Not far from him, hovered a small ball shaped object and on it stood the Speaker of the Assembly, a six limbed large being of a truly terrifying appearance, even to the Nul. The frightful looking being growled at him.”Your highness are you sure you want to address the Assembly from the Focus Point. I gladly make my speaker alcove available to you.”

“No, I had to see this and I want to address the Union as it is propperly done.”

“Whenevern you are ready, your Highness. Simply tell me.”

“I never seen a species like you, Speaker. What kind of being are you?”

“I am a Morthim, I come from the Andromeda galaxy. I gladly show you to our Culture Pavilion after this.”

“I am ready.”

The Morthim opened his acoustic pick up. The volume was only slightly raised, but all representatives and of course the billions watching heard the speaker clearly.

“This is docket number one on this Five Day of Red Week in the 3rd Annual Division of the Year 5020. Before us today is his highness the All Leader of the Nul Xor. He has expressed his wish to address us all to clear up the confusion and talk of war of the past days.”

The Morthim made an inviting gesture.”Your Highness...”

The Nul was an impressive being and he spread his big arms in an universally understood gesture. “Assembly of the Union, Citizens of the Union. I am Xor and I am the leader of all that is Nul-Nul. We are known to be war like and refuse communication. This has almost lead to war, let me tell you what occured.”

The Nu leader told the Assembly how their next leader was abducted, sold to the Death Fight arena on Sin 4 and how Duke Donheer under the direction of the Shiss was casting the Union as the culprit.

The Nul ended his speech saying. “To be frank, we knew the Union liked to test our resolve, but in open battle engagements, not by collaborating with a pirate.

It was not that pirate but the Shiss. Now I can not go in detail about the events that followed, but our prince, my offspring is safe.

These events that almost led to war, showed us Nul that we must open dialog with you, the Union. We already see evidence that you are indeed trustworthy. We Nul paid dearly everytime we were asked to trust another entity. This time however we asked others to trust us. As of today Nul no longer consider the Union our enemy but our ally and I hereby ask for open relations and offer unlimited cooperation.”

The speech was received by cheers and standing ovation. The Nul added after the Assembly had quieted down.”I know there are ears and eyes of hostile and unfriendly parties upon this proceedings, to you I say. Nul will stand on Union side.”

The Nul leader was then led on a tour of the Assembly and met with many representatives. He visited the culture pavilion of the Morthim and was deeply impressed. Morthim appeared to be bred and engineered to kill Petharians and as savage and alien they were, they were welcomed. He learned about the Camogi, the Non-Corps. Was utterly amazeed by the Bellebees, the Hotzies. He conversed with the Avatar representation of a Bandrupo, a Lyrharm and what appeared to be a huge spaceborn entity named Eduk.

He then spoke to the representative of the Narth.

Xor was nearly four meters all, could alter the density of his outer shell and was a trained Nul warrior, yet he could not help but feel small in the presence of the Narth.

The Nul had been around for much longer than many other societies. Seven times did the Nul bomb themselves to stone age conditions before they were united by the first gray Nul.

Yet their originial homeworld still existed, Narl Gatu. Xor knew that the Nul met with Narth over a billion years ago. The Narth where enigmatic and utterly powerful even back then.

The Narth bowed slightly.”It pleases Narth that the Nul have ended their isolation.It is also fortunate that your offspring was on Sin 4 at that very time.”

Xor did not want to question the Narth, but he did it anyway.”Xon was almost killed, he escaped wounded and partially disabled, how could this be fortunate?”

“The offspring of your highness was on Sin 4 while the nephew of my dear friend was there. Your first born, despite his formidable skills and power had only a 0.3 percent chance to leave this death fight event alive on his own.”

Xor had to agree that this was true. He had seen the recordings of the fight and he had spoken to Xon. “The details are highly classified and I agreed to honor your Admirals wishes.”

The Saresii delegate that stood close said. “Not to worry, your highness. My friends and I hold the highest security classifications and are briefed on the details and where your son ended up.”

Xor made the Nul gesture of relieve.”It is true, Xon was saved by a female Union captain acting undercover in Freespace. Not to long ago we Nul would have gone to war learning that you operate a ship there despite the Freespace treaty conditions, but now Xon is part of the crew of that very ship.”

The Saresii pointed at the third man.”This is Egill Skallagrímsson, he is directly related to Captain Olafson.”

That broke the ice and all four started to share stories.


TIGERSHARK

It was eight in the evening or Five hour as this time was supposedly called after the Union Time keeping reform act, when the Red Dragon, four of his officers and four Pirate Captains arrived in a Shiss Landing tank. I had them enter over an extended Ramp into the Pirate’s Den, so they would not see the rest of the ship or ride the IST

The Golden, his rodent shadow and my Elly Chef went all out to provide an impressive meal.

From where the massive open grill had came from, I had no idea, but I was instantly reminded of Uncle Hogun and I almost expected him to be there. The grill had a shimmering force field chimney and most of the smoke was funneled away into the ship’s atmospheric recycling systems, but the savory smell of freshly seared meat was spreading all over the former Hangar bay. I was not sure what kind of animal was slowly turning on the spit but it was huge. I was assured it was safe for humans to eat.

As the eight men stepped through the hangar door they stopped in their tracks. One of them was an Oghar Captain and he could not take his eyes of the stacks of boxes overflowing with Polo Coins, the stacked Polo Cubes in the back and the several meter tall pile of Iridium ingots right next to it that not even I had noticed before.

Our eclectic collection of strange art and curiosities had grown as well, prominent displayed a charred piece of armor plate with the words Mighty Nine stenciled on it. The bloody hand of the Duke still holding that remote control encased in crystal clear material.I silently cursed whoever decided to put a life action doll of Black Velvet fighting a stomper right next to it.

The gothic shaped braziers were lit and flickered with dark red flames.

The immense chandelier above our big table provided a warm light that made the polished precious metals glow and sparkle.

Our big round table was laid out with the finest china, crystal drink ware, bowls and plates of massive gold and platinum grouped around a three tiered center piece overflowing with fruits and fresh vegetables. It too was made of platinum and gold and was big enough to serve an entire family of starving Saturnians.

I was wearing a black velvet body hugging gown and a matching eye mask with a wispy veil. I greeted them saying.

“Welcome to the Silver Streak. Have a seat, eat, drink and be merry. We do not have guests all that often but according to time honored traditions, enemies and friends alike shall find peace and hospitality while at my table.”

The Red Dragon who was wearing the same red outfit and that he had worn before said:

“One should never judge the book by its cover. One would never suspect to see such splendor inside what appears to be such a rust bucket from the outside.”

I spread my gloved arms and said. “There might be some rust here and there, but the Silver Streak has served me well and I would not exchange it even for the formidable Red Dragon you command.”

He introduced his associates and bumped the Oghar next to him, who finally managed to take his eyes of the Polonium chests and looked at me.

“This big fellow goes by the name of Captain Meateater and he commands the Intruder, the silent Togar to my right is Captain Carrhrh of the Celestial Nightmare. The third Captain, here is a member of the Puup. He has a solid reputation as Privateer all over this region of space. To introduce him as gentleman is pushing the envelope of course, but he does go by the name of Captain Brathering of the Uhuin.”

He pointed to the Jooltar. This is Captain Sodex. You should have heard of him.

The Warthok probably forgot his real name, but they call him the Cruel One, a reputation well earned I assure you”

The Red Dragon came to the last. “And finally this gentleman here, one of my more recent acquaintances, Captain Ivok.”

The Oghar grunted. “This is a fine treasure you got there. I also noticed your Nul weaponry. Nothing to be trifled with.”

I shrugged. “I find it necessary to have certain devices handy to reinforce my arguments. Such arguments do occur quite regularly in this kind of business as you surely know.”

He grunted something I did not understand and they all sat down. Food was served and I noticed that the Red Dragon only ate after I did and he selected the same food choices. His mask I noticed now allowed him to eat without the need to take it off. The Oghar and the rest however ate like starving Tyrannos.

The conversation during the main course was just small talk, but as the Elly served dessert and fine liquors I leaned back and said. “Maybe it is time you come to the real reason you have invited yourself. I am eager to get some vacuum under my keel and leave dirt side soon.”

Red Dragon held up the glass he was using and looked at the golden liquid.

“You certainly know how to treat your guests. This is the finest Blue Blood Chardonnay I have tasted in ages. If I am not mistaken it is from the Sapphire Winery that supplies the Court of the Thauran Emperor itself.

I truly appreciate your hospitality and it almost pains me to do what I have to do next. You see my associate Captain Meateater has a ship that isn’t up to par and barely made it to Sin 4. Suitable ships are rare to come by and since he likes the Silver Streak I think it will serve him well.”

He put the glass down. “Be a good girl and give him all the command codes now and without any fuss, I might even let you live and offer you a nice bedroom aboard my ship so you can serve me when I have the need for female attention.”

At his words the pirate Captains pulled their weapons and pointed them at me.

The Red Dragon said. “Now before you get all upset and shooting starts. Let me tell you that I am wearing one of my Celtest Battle suits and there is nothing you can do that will stop me to do whatever I please. Now get started, the Command codes now or I start killing every one of your crew and rape you until I have what I need. “He looked around and added “It looks like there are enough treasures to buy a brand new ship with all the trimmings even if you die before I have the codes.”

I had let him speak, dabbing my mouth with measured moves with a napkin under the veil of my mask and said. “You know dear Dragon, I did not come this far to trust anyone and I would not have invited you inside my ship without taking some precautions. If you would pay real attention and look to your side you will notice a Shail. Now I am not sure if you are aware of the Shail reputation and their particular skill and knowledge of very complex poisons, but you all swallowed enough quite lethal Shail bio toxins to kill half of Sin 4. As the glasses were laced with it, you did too. The final outcome is of course lethal but it will take a little time to take full effect. I think you might feel the first effects already, the only antidote is well hidden and only I know where.”

Captain Meateater grabbed his throat with his left while he pointed his big Flamer gun directly at me.

“The Antidote now or you die.”

“It is very unwise to threaten the only person with the antidote. I might just decide to die before I give in on your demands, so I suggest you press that trigger.”

He actually did, but nothing happened. His weapon inactive.

Now my friends pulled their weapons. Krabbel zipped from the ceiling with six heavy old style TKUs in each of his legs. Hans, the Gray Nul and TheOther came from behind the curtains, their massive weapons pointed at the now frightened looking pirates. Marines disguised as pirates completed the half circle around me and then Har-Hi pulled both his swords with a slow metallic sound that was as threatening as it looked.

Red Dragon pointed his finger at me and screamed. “There is enough energy in my finger blaster to render you all to ashes, while my shields will protect me from everything you have.

But his hand turned, quite obviously against his will and he stared at his own finger.

I was the only one still sitting and I poured myself a cup of coffee and carefully spooned some sugar in it. “The weapons of your associates have been rendered inoperative. I used some Black Velvet magic if you will. And the weapon in your finger would need to go through your skull first before it can harm anyone else.”

He groaned. “You think psionic tricks will save you? My shields will take care of that.”

Shea got up holding her sword and sliced his uniform open and cut away the Seenian weapon belt from his waist. Her wondrous blade sliced right through the supposedly indestructible material of his suit.

I sipped at my coffee and said. “I wonder why you are not doing just that.”

Brathering groaned. “Do something; you said your suit is unstoppable. I can feel the poison working. I don’t feel well.”

Red Dragon yelped in pain as his own finger started to poke him in his right eye.

I said “What a cruel fate, poked to death by your own finger. Now I wonder if that is the death the ruler of the Galaxy thought he would suffer?”

His finger now poked his nose and he yelped. “Cut that out. It was all just a joke, a test of course. I wasn’t serious.”

I got up walked slowly around the big table and watched him being poked again, this time in the other eye. Shea had sliced almost half of his suit of his body and the blade that had no trouble cutting through the supposedly indestructible Seenian material was now only a fraction of a hairs width away from his throat.

I got close to him. “I don’t buy lies my dear Dragon. Now I could easily take your lives and your ships and whatever else I please. Your associates are already turning into nice shades of green, a wonderful side effect of the poison. I am certain you don’t feel so fresh either.”

I turned to walk away but then faced him again. “Oh wait, you wanted to rape me. I think I know a better place for that finger.”

His hand now twisting in a painful manner as his arm lowered towards his behind. His suit was in tatters, sliced in ribbons by Shea.

Cateria who had joined us moments ago, picked up a piece of the suit from the floor. “Looks like the command module. I am certain his suit is now completely inoperative.”

He groaned and actually jumped as his finger touched a rather unsavory region of his body. and said with pain but little conviction in his voice.

“You would not dare.”

I pointed at his groin and Shea’s blade followed my gesture and I said.

“You wanted to rape me and now you think I would not dare to cut you into ribbons and sell your carcass to the Skaakh kitchens? But I’ll tell you what, I’ll let you go. You tire me. You may return in one hour with one million in Polo Full weights for each of you. I will then give you the Anti-dote. If you decide not to do it, that is your choice and your funeral.”

Hans, TheOther and the Gray Nul grabbed the helpless Pirates and simply threw them out the main door. They landed hard on the ramp and limped down the rest scrambling to their waiting Landing tank but they never reached it, their tank was lifted into the air and forcefully slammed into the ground, a dozen times till it was a twisted smoking pile of metal. Whoever was inside had no chance.

I turned to Narth.

“Seeing your telekinetic abilities turning a seventy ton tank into scarp was actually quite scary.”

Narth said. “That wasn’t me.”

He pointed at the young girl with the big eyes stepping from behind him.

She has been awake since this morning and I promised her she could help.”

I looked at her and said:

“That was a great job Alice.”

She lost her sad expression for a moment as a smile hushed over her thin lips.

I knelt down. “Is there anything that would cheer you up more permanently? And should you not have left with your father. I am surprised you are still here.”

She shook her head.

Cateria said. “She was in intensive care when the Minerva was here, now she is under Narth’s care and I am certain there is no better help for her, as she trusts him.”

The girl said. “No Captain Olafson. I am content right here. My dad is safe and can help our friends the Stik and Narth is a very good teacher. He made the headache go away and knows how I can use the invisible hands without hurting myself. I am very glad to be here and will help when I can.”

I sighed. “Now we running a nursery on top of it all, but as soon as you are well enough and we have our next contact, you can go and join your father. The Union has great specialists too.”

She nodded.

“So it was you poking the guy in the eyes? It was a bit out of character for Narth I must admit.”

She nodded and smiled a moment longer. “I watched him from behind the curtain. He wasn’t very nice.”

Narth looked at me with his glowing eyes.

“I must admit I liked the idea and helped a bit.”

I rolled my eyes. “I am not sure this Universe is ready for a Narth with a mischievous streak”

Then we watched our guests run across the landing field to their ships.

I mused aloud. “I wonder if we revealed too many of our aces or if Mehdi’s psycho analysis is correct and they do come back and offer us a spot in that expedition.

Circuit appeared in the hangar door and said. “If not, they all taking a load of Nanites into their ships. We should be able to hack into their systems and get that info without chasing them half across the galaxy.

The cold night wind brushed over my naked shoulders and, while I always liked the cold, I actually wished for a jacket or something and said:

“Your new Nanites?”

He nodded and said: “Yes the ones I based on Cateria’s designs I think in eight to ten months I might be able to replicate them to be just as good as the Seenian ones.”

Cateria, her hands on the shoulders of the girl, said: “In some aspects they are already as good. We should be glad however that he was not able to activate his suit fully or even know of its capabilities. He did have a full Casern with him.”

I turned to look at her and said. “Something bad, right?”

She frowned and responded. “Very bad, a subspace pocket with 100 Seenian Battle droids.”

“Where is it now?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.