Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 15

The Minerva was an impressive, shiny golden water drop shaped, heavy armed ancient Ult freighter in excellent repair and with genuine ISAH pods of recent manufacture. Despite its apparent bulk this freighter was most likely the fastest thing within a few light years.

It landed right next to us and I welcomed her captain in our pirate den. He was a Karthanian. Like all Karthanians he was not even remotely humanoid, having many similarities to a Terran Seahorse. External Bone structure, round always open mouth with a flickering tongue, stalk eyes and short, fern like antenna on each side of his head. He did have two arm-like appendixes with very long fingers that started at what would be the elbow of a human arm.

The Karthanian looked around and said. “Permission to come aboard. I am Sposhtrah, Shipmaster of the Minerva.”

He then identified himself with the Blue-Blue-Red protocol and I did the same. Only then did he take off his bejewelled jacket revealing a Union uniform.

“I have a load of Translocator bombs to restock you, two more modified Wolfcrafts one Spectre configuration and the Narth components for your shields that are still missing.”

I offered him a seat at our table and our chef brought refreshments, showing that he knew even Karthanian cuisine as the Captain of the Minerva praised the brownish liquid he called Qugamt slobber served in a long thin glass that accommodated his long thin tongue, to be exceptionally good.

To the captain I said. “I am thankful for the supplies and I know the Stik delegation is eager to get started with their application, but is it wise that we meet so openly?”

He waved with his long fingers and said. “No worries Captain, I am known as one of worst Slave dealers in the Galaxy. I do business with Pirates and the other scum all the time. I am here on Sin 4 at least five times a year. This way we are able to return at least some of the captured Union citizens back home. Of course not even the freed slaves know that and for me to remain effective it must remain that way.”

“Before all this I had no idea Slavery is such a widespread problem.”

He put down the glass he just was sucking at and said. “Compared to the size of the Union and its population it is not a very big problem. However especially fringe colonies that are not officially colonized through the Bureau are vulnerable to pirate and slave raids.You know anyone with a spaceship can go out there and colonize whatever they want if it isn’t occupied already. There are always dreamers and fringe groups that think they do not need the OOCA. Oh beleive me I would love for it to end as I seen more misery than I care to see. I estimate between 25,000 and 30,000 Union citizens are abducted that way each year. As far as I know there is currently only one other undercover unit like the Minerva doing what I do as it is very difficult to built up a reputation and do this secretly.”

I toasted him and said. “I am glad to know that something is being done about it and I thank you for doing it. I had the ill fortune to see what it is like to be a slave, thankfully only for a short time.”

He returned the toast and said. “Thanks to you we might see the end of Sin 4 soon and that is a good thing. I often wish I could do something about the other slaves as well, the ones that are not Union, I mean. The practice and the demand is still big in Freespace and the whole region is so damn large. My own kind is doing a big part for keeping the demand up. Karthanian smelter moons and mines always have a large appetite for slaves.”

“At least one Karthanian is doing something about it.”

“Because this Karthanian was sent to the Smelter moons and was rescued by an undercover Union ship during a slave transfer.”

We finished our drinks and then he said. “Let’s get the transfer started. I heard you got a few slaves freed.”

“Yes, I purchased all available slaves at the Pirates Market. I think there are about sixty of them and they’re all in Stasis.”

A conveyor bridge was placed between our ships and shields extended and synchronized. I stood next to the open freight door and watched the stream of cargo-tainers.

An incredibly thin and beautiful female being floated more than walked towards me. She wore Union black and saluted. “Specialist Brana Noleii, reporting Captain.” She held out her orderchip.

She was as tall as me, appeared as if someone had successfully mixed a very beautiful female with an exquisite flower; threw in vispy veils and almost insubstantial wings. I had heard of Delicates but never seen one before.

“Welcome aboard Specialist Noleii, what are you specialist in, if I may ask?”

“I am the weapon specialist for your Bio Chemical weapons. I am also a psionic talent and assigned to your PSI team as well.”

“Welcome indeed Specialist. As you can see we are receiving material and I guess additional personnel as well. I am not sure my XO has the time to show you to your quarters right away, but if you don’t mind waiting a little I show you myself.”

SHIPs avatar popped up and she said.”Captain I can show her, luckily I can be at more than one place at the same time.”

“Perfect, Specialist Noleii, this is our SHIPs AI but she is also a crew member. I am sure she can explain you the details while she shows you around. Later I like to see you at the Den for dinner and get to know more of you.”

She blinked with her inhumanly big eyes and smiled.”Thank you, Captain.”

The new addition to my crew left and I kept watching.

I could not help but smile to see TheOther and the newly conscripted Nul compete with Hans and our cargo handlers to see who could lift the bigger boxes. The Golden who took his job as Quartermaster very seriously held a PDD in his hands and was directing the flow of cargo to the right destinations.

Krabbel hung from a thin thread over the Cargo door and waited eagerly for the mail container as he had ordered a new flavor of ice cream that he hoped it would be part of the delivery. To the side in the back of the cargo hold stood Circuit next to an open crate with technical parts. He had his fists stemmed into his side and I could see a bushy tail moving inside the packing material, next to it Shea and Three-Four had already begun assembling some strange looking device. Now I also saw Narth, who held a big piece using his telekinetics, floating above them while he was reading a PDD most likely with assembly instructions.

A deep voice next to me said. “I could stand here all day long and watch your amazing crew work together.”

I turned and looked into the face of Admiral Stahl.

He said. “Permission to come aboard Captain?”

To see him was a great surprise and I said. “Of course, permission granted, Sir. Where did you come from?”

He pointed at an open Cargo box and said. “The Devi is standing by in Union space with the entire first fleet to clean up Sin 4 as soon as the Stiks officially made their plea. I simply hitched a ride with the Minerva to see how things are with you.”

“I think everything is going well, Sir. I addressed my crew a little earlier today about the possibility that we might postpone shore leave and vacations for two years and instead of being angry they cheered instead of voicing disagreement and I think it was a genuine cheer at that.”

“I wish we could give you all the breaks and vacation you deserve, but if there is a Seenian depot we need to know where it is located. Maybe the opportunity will presents itself and you can capture the Red Dragon and get the info that way. But if he really is Admiral Swybar then he received the Union shields and implants to make him immune to brain dumps and psionic interrogations.”

“I don’t mind flying this ship to the end of the Universe, but I hope I can give my crew some R&R soon. Not that they actually want it.”

He nodded towards the grey Nul and said. “So you really have the Nul prince aboard. I have seen your fight on GalNet and I saw the Nul too. Somehow I had a feeling he would end up with you.”

I looked away as he said that and mumbled. “I hoped you would not see that.”

“Why not? I am not really a fan of death matches, but the ancient adage of panem et circenses holds true still today. Bread and games is what the masses love and I can’t say I didn’t like what I saw.”

He grinned widely. “Seeing a gorgeous blonde, half naked tear into a big monster with nothing but an ax certainly has some entertaining value even for me I must say. I guess the body shaping Saresii machine missed the inner Neo Viking. Besides, your action was the foundation of the Nul’s decision to come to you. Just as it did when you decided to wrestle a Xendarian and go rodeo on him. They too are still on Pluribus and I wager the PUMA process will be over soon than later and they too join our big family.”

He shook his head. “The Nul on our side, who would have imagined.”

“If he is serious I think there might be really peace between Nul and the Union.”

Stahl nodded. “Yes, we have every indication he is serious. We’ve got real diplomatic relations for the first time. It will of course make the others very nervous, but with the Nul and the Golden now on the Union side, I doubt they will try anything anytime soon. It might even give pause to the Dai assembling under Cam Elf Na. The Dai respect few others, but the Nul are certainly one civilization even the most vicious Dai don’t like to anger. The integration of the Golden is a huge operation and keeps everyone busy but it is progressing smoothly. The data we are receiving will keep our analysts happy for centuries. Their ships are more advanced than we thought.”

Stahl pointed to Sobody. “I never thought I would ever see the First Merchant actually working with load handlers aboard a Union ship.”

I too watched Sobody and said. “He has become quite an asset to my crew and doesn’t mind working at all. He shares quarters with a Holdian and follows fleet protocol more seriously than a first year Cadet.”

Stahl said as he watched Har Hi talk to the little Yeoman standing by the door. “Cam Elf Na has visited Brahma Port and killed a few Scavengers, but a very large Togar fleet made him and his clans turn away. From the reports we have, the number of Clans he controls is vastly overstated. It is still an impressive force, perhaps in the neighborhood of twenty or thirty clans, but not 2000. Nothing our now beefed up border forces could not handle.”

While I was talking with the Admiral we watched as one of our Petharians kicked a spherical container, most likely an empty Bomb container and Hans kicked it back. TheOther caught it and threw it with force towards the Nul, who in turn boxed it with a crashing sound back to Hans who actually head-butted it. Moments later there was a tournament going, with Crewmembers in Load handler suits joining in as well. The cargo deck was vibrating as the now heavily dented metal case was kicked and tossed between two impromptu goals. Stahl held up a little device and said.” I need to record that. McElligott won’t believe me otherwise.”

I heard the elated laughter of the Y’All as he managed to score a goal, getting a high five from Hans. Only moments later the Nul managed to head butt the container over into the other goal and he in turn laughed and got celebrated by the Petharians and cargo specialists in their cargo handling suits.

The Admiral sighed. “You know I am so tempted to put on a load handler suit and join them. It looks like lots of fun.”

I raised my voice. “SHIP, get me two load handler suits. I think we have a Steel Container kick match to join.”


How the match ended I could not say as I was called by Elfi who said: “Captain, the Red Dragon is calling and wants to talk to you as soon as you can.”

As I stopped playing the entire gang stopped.

I said. “Captain’s business, you can go on.”

But then the spell was broken and they started to finish the cargo transfer.

Stahl shook my hand. “I have to go back with the Minerva. But there is a big part of that wants to actually come along with you and this crew. I think it would be like old times before I was an Admiral.”

“I would love that, Sir.”

He sighed and then said.”Good luck with your mission. Be assured I trust your abilities and I can tell you have become a real starship Captain, one I am very proud of.”

I felt elated his approval meant more to me than any medal. “Thank you Sir. I would not be here without your help.”

“Eric, I meant to say Erica. I actually doubt that. You would have become a starship Captain regardless if you had met me or not.”

“But not of the Tigershark.”

He laughed and left.


RED DRAGON

On the landing field of the desolate spaceport of Sin 4 and not too far from the heavily modified Karthanian Trader, known as the Silver Streak, sat the Red Dragon. Inside the stolen Union prototype and in its command deck conference room sat the former Union admiral who now bore the same name as his ship and five other pirate captains.

Red Dragon had his chair swiveled towards the viewport and watches as the well known slave merchant ship, the Minerva climbed into the sky.

“That explains why she bought every slave there was on the market. She is doing business with Sposhtrah.”

“Making a killing doing it.” Said a strong looking Oghar sitting to the right of the Red Dragon, also staring out the window.

Captain Sodex of the Merchant’s Sorrow sitting across the table, curled his chaps in disgust. He was a Jooltar and growled. “This is the dirtiest business of them all. I stay away from it, no matter the profit. One of these days the Union will disregard all treaties and start hunting slavers and those are involved in this business. One more colony raid report with Union citizens captured for slaves and their Assembly will vote to end it.”

The former Admiral, had been an Union citizen for most of his life actually nodded. “There is not much more that riles them.”

He was deeply concerned about the latest developments. The news that the Golden had abandoned their millenia old policy of neutrality and joined the Union had just recently shocked pretty much everyone. The Kermac openly furious and secretly afraid of their cousins. First the Blue with all their fine technology and now the Golden, they knew too well that neither one had forgotten the atrocities the Ker had committed so long ago.

The Shiss seeing their star slowly but steady fading, were very concerned about the Union grow. And now while everyone was expecting war between the Nul and the Union, news came from Pluribus of a new chapter of Nul and Union cooperation. The Nul All ruler himself was reported to be on his way to Pluribus aboard the Union flagship no less. That made everyone nervous, as impossible it seemed only a week ago. Nul and Union no longer enemies, maybe even working together was bad news indeed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.