Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 3

DALBRA

Ninohfiv, the guarantor of Kermac protection and guardianship to the Dolbarian society stepped out on the balcony of his residential tower overlooking the sprawling capital city of the numerous and industrious Dolbarians. Those perpetual nervous and laughable weak mammalians had the great fortune to be of interest and use to the Kermac.

Ninohfiv longed for a real Kermac world, and despised these rodents. They were hairy and small; their technology rudimentary at best and their cultural achievements as chaotic, loud and nervous just as the Dolbarians themselves.

The only real reason for the Will Bender satellites in orbit, and thus Kermac influence was the fact Dolbarian’s had a good foothold in Freespace and no one really took them serious. Many Kermac schemes and missions were launched from Dolbarian planets.

As he looked to the east and down to the city center, he wondered about the large crowd of Dolbarians gathering there in the Wisnka park.

Gatherings of this kind were forbidden, but then the Dolbarians always needed a reminder. The will benders alone did not have the same effect on these unruly rodents as they had on other species.

He was about to call the chief of the public safety department to have the crowd dispersed. When one of his close aides came out onto the balcony with an alarmed face.

“The expedition we sent to the Xandrao has returned and a spaceship of that species is in orbit.”

Ninohfiv was annoyed already, seeing yet another Dolbarian protest turned and snapped at the lower circle Kermac. “I don’t know any Xandra mission but those annoying subjects of ours have once again found enough of their own will to gather and protest.”

“Exalted wizard, it is not Xandra but Xandrao and the mission was ordered a year ago by the Wizard tower. To find a suitable species that could take the place of the Nogoll.”

Ninohfiv wanted to dismiss the aide’s response with a sharp rebuke and focus on the developing situation, but he did remember. A brutish species of similar physiology had been discovered just a few lumindistances beyond Togar space. Because of its location, it was decided to sent Dolbarian ships instead of Kermac cruisers. The species, he recalled were the Xandrao.”

“Why are they here and not Kermac Prime?” He asked.

“The expedition started out from here, there was an element of Dolbarians sent as servants and aides to our envoys.”

“Who hailed us?”

“The Xandrao and they requesting an immediate audience with the Kermac leadership.”

“Did they mention our envoys?”

“No.”

A new enforcer species was badly needed, the loss of the loyal Nogoll had a serious weakening effect on the Galactic Council. The Grand Wizard would never forgive him, if he bodged this.

Finding a new thrall was not easy. Once a new species was considered to be integrated, detailed studies had to be made and the will bender technology adjusted to the mental base line of the new species. Some were more receptacle and some were less, like these always nervous and almost useless Dolbarians.

It was a dedicated process of many month to find the right suppressive method. The more external force had o be used to bend the Thrall species under Kermac control, the more innovation, initiative and creativity were suppressed.

A good enforcer species, like the Nogoll needed very little external control and served freely and eagerly.

He went inside planning to put on a fresh robe and some more skin white.”Give them landing permission and welcome them. There will be a reception.”

He was almost in his chambers, when he turned. “And do send control units to the park. They are at it again.”

“They are not protesting, they celebrating the arrival of the Xandrao.”


ABOARD THE TIGERSHARK

Narth stared at the devices and the set up as he had walked through the door and was greeted by Ensign Fivcheer.”One must admit it is a failure of mine, not to come here before.”

The Leedei bowed slightly.”Narth are gifted with such potent Psionics, they hardly consider other societies humble achievements.”

“To point out a valid observation on Narth haughtiness, in such a polite fashion isn the hallmark of a highly civilized person. I am not only Narth, I am a young Narth. I was conceived to be a pathfinder, an explorer into the corporal condition. But being the first young Narth in our history came with no previous experience to draw upon poses challenges that have not been foreseen. I am Narth and yet I am not like any Narth.

I learned to identify myself as a true individual, using the terms ‘I’ and ‘me’ with the full understanding of these concepts.”

The Leedei listened intently.

The Narth stepped to a console that operated much of the Psionic equipment of the Tigershark.”I also shared my Huhgavh with a human being and this has not only affected Erica, but me a well. We Narth are aware of you Leedei, and it is true all that is Narth considered Leedei use of technology to harness psionics rather pointless and primitive.”

The young Narth kept on examining the equipment.”But when the Narth Supreme decided to get Narth more involved, he allowed the concept of individualism to become a bigger factor. Narth individuals became Psi Corpsagents, representatives and in the case of constructing and equipping this ship even engineers.

We opened the knowledge crystal where we stored all our knowledge of the physical universe, before we even became the Narth. We recreated technology of ours for this ship alone.”

The Leedei nodded.”So did the Leedei, we did not limit our commitment and provided systems that no non Leedei has ever seen or heard of. “The Leedei gestured to a vault like closet.”Including the only handheld Gorrontha Devices in existence.”

The young Narth looked at it, while his mind retrieved all information from the Leedei mind and said.”Narth conception of Leedei technology has been reversed.”

Fivcheer now bowed.”It is a privilege to meet you then, Lt. Narth.”

“I am Narth, but an Union Citizen above all. Thus it is my privilege to serve the Union including the Leedei.I am Narth, but I am an Union officer also. So the privilege to meet you is of equal value.”

The Leedei extended his hand. Leedei only liked to make physical contact with friends because their hands were so sensitive.

Narth took the offered hand and they exchanged this human gesture of greeting.

Fivcheer smiled under his semi transparent head cover skin and raised the illumination of the PSI lab. “We are technically under the auspice of the Science department, but Fleet Command is going to implement a new independent PSION department on all Union ships and installations soon.”

Narth nodded.”Fleet command might incorporate Nether-energy manipulation and Trans Dim application in this new department as well.”

The Leedei made an inviting gesture.”I heard of this but it is a subject I have little knowledge, but the Tigershark is also a testbed and prototype in pretty much everything. I was sure you would come here eventually, I also hope the Captain might find his way to this department.”

“She will, I promise. Eventually she will acknowledge that her HPI is changing and increasing by the day and need our guidance. But I am certain Captain Olafson will get to know all of her crew.”

The sliding door opened and six individuals entered.

Fivcheer said.”I have summoned the entire PSI team. The Captain having access to a Narth made our department a quiet one so far.We are all eager to meet you.”

“The captain made it quite clear that everyone can come to her, and we do have our Pirate’s Den” “We are manning bridge positions when you and the captain are not.” “Please introduce me to your team. Then we must discuss the Captain’s ideas.”


The Kermac guarantor of Kermac protection wearing his finest white robe stood next to the three Kermac that represented his his administration and watched the Xandrian shuttle land. Their arti grav being crude making landfall for their main ship impossible.

Ninohfiv leaned closer to the one to his right. “Send message to Kermac Prime so help can be sent.”

“I tried to do that before I even came here, exalted Wizard, but the two Long Range Telepaths we have are not able to convey anything to Kermac Prime. One fell into the catatonic state, something LRT sometimes do unfortunately and the other appears to suffer from receiving overload information. His handler told me, the LRT received such a massive load of telepathic messages, he overloaded and may never recover.”

“Both LRTs are out at the same time?”

“Yes, but I send a Myon message ordering new ones. I am sure Kermac Prime will send us replacements in a few weeks.”

Ninohfiv himself experienced a rather painful headache.”Let us get this over with. I need to consult a physician.”

Three massive Xundran males emerged, as well as four Dolbarians. The four were greeted with a massive cheer from the onlooking crowds.

Ninohfiv suddenly detected the mind of the Kermac next to him. Sevevienul, his right hand assistant and confidant. Suddenly revealed as an officer for the MOC, while he openly claimed to be with the Ministry of Thrall affairs. Sevevienul suspecting him to have staged the Xandrao thing to show the Supreme Wizard how important he was.

At the same time, Sevevienul suddenly read the mind of his superior. Ninohfiv becoming aware of his cover and true purpose.He clearly noticed the emotion of violence in his superiors mind. With panic he checked his mind shield projector in his false beard. The device was deactivated.

“It is not what you think, honorable Wizard.” Sevenvienul hastily explained. Ignoring the Xandrao coming closer.

The lead wizard had a hard time concentrating on the aliens approaching to be greeted and questioned. His supposedly trustworthy aide was a MOC spy and considered him subversive!

This sudden ability to read others was not limited to Sevenvienul or Ninohfiv, but to the other two behind them. Sechfunzwe right behind the lead wizard was suddenly exposed to be the most dangerous individual of them all. he not only was the planets security officer, but he was a genuine member of the Mind Police. Sent here to make sure Kermac remained true to the Kermac doctrine. The Kermac to his side, Achsechdre was the only genuine assistant and he became almost sick with fear as the true identities and positions of his colleagues were revealed. He tried to remember if he ever had a subversive thought and by doing so not only revealed them all, but also his genuine hatred towards the Mind Police.

“A well adjusted and true Kermac would never fear but welcome Mind Police. For we are the guarantors of Kermac supremacy. I see your thoughts have not been as supportive as it should have been.”

Completely ignoring the foreign dignitaries or his immediate superiors, Achsechdre lashed out, first with words.”I am not going to be mind wiped by a self important Mind Policeman whose thoughts are not as pure as they should be. You cheated on the entry exam.” Secondly with more substantive action. He activated the Neuro Ripper in his beard and showered the mind policeman with painful neurostimulation.

The lead Xandrao said.”Our presence is not important to you, Kermac? You ignore us and squabble among yourself?”

Distracted by the sudden revelations and the violence right behind him, the lead wizard snarled.”Silence you stupid bovine slave. You will be dealt with when we have the time.”

His right hand man snarled with loud accusation. “I see! You wanted to sabotage the Xandrao admission to make the Ministry of Control look bad! Who paid you? Was it that obnoxious Wizard of Intelligence who has an eye on the central seat?” Sevenvienul spat in an open display of outrage.”Xandrao do not heed his words. The Grand Wizard himself will welcome you.”

The chaos on the raised Kermac platform could not been greater. Kermac security troops emerged wanting to arrest the aide who just had felled and apparently killed a member of the Thought Police, but were stopped by the lead wizard who wanted them to arrest the other aide.


ABOARD THE USS LITTLE ROCK

When five suns simultaneously turned supernova, the event did not only create the Thalim nebula, a scientific mystery but also a large number of black objects. Dark moons, planet fragments and asteroids. All tumbling across interstellar space.

Not associated to a star, these objects were hard to find. Spaceships travelled superluminal from star to star and only on the rare occasion really stopped in deep space. And only then if in reasonably close distance, such objects were discovered.

To many civilizations they were useless and even if discovered, forgotten the next moment.

To others they were prizeless places for a base or hidden port. Prized by freelancers and pirates first and foremost, but also by smugglers and intelligence services.

Of course there was the Union and its now famous ‘A Union Citizen on Every Rock’ program. If the dark objectwas big enough to put a boot on, and within Union space, it was utilized. Refueling stations, travel stops, traffic monitoring and whatever a rock could be utilized. Unfortunately for the rock it might also be mined.

The rugged oblong shaped asteroid, looking just like any other rock of the Thalim space pebble field was about 900 meters long.

Scientists believed that the Thalim Pebble field was created when two large objects collided while being expelled from a destroyed star system. This intergalactic asteroid field travelled at an unchanging speed and trajectory towards the Downward rim of the M-0 galaxy.

But this 900 meter rock wasn’t there when the field was formed.

The independent mining station on a larger rock not to far removed wasn’t so independent aftd aner all.

A rugged banged up miner tug originating from that mining station, just slipped past well camouflaged doors at the bottom of an impact crater. One of many such craters that riddled the surface of that rock.

Inside in a bright lit, modern locking sparkling clean docking bay, the old asteroid tug looked completely out of place. Two high ranking officers in black uniforms approached the tug and from its airlock the highest ranking officer of them all emerged. Easily recognizable by the kilt in the tartan pattern of the McElligott clan.

Neither one of the officers greeting the Admiral of the Fleet was humanoid. One was Attikan and the other Oromarl.The Attikan wore Captains Gold on his sleeves and he greeted the Admiral first, before the Oromarl commander and XO did the same.

After the formulaic greeting the Admiral said.”So this is the USS Little Rock?”

“Yes Admiral, the finest shielding technology makes sure an accidental observer don’t expect anything but a space rock. Not that we want to be observed and usually high tail it when we have anything artificial on the scanners.”

The Admiral followed the two and passed through heavy armor doors into a typical Union spaceship corridor. The Old Admiral said.”I am looking forward to this tour for quite a while. I am working on this project now for almost 1500 years you know.”

The Attikan captain held open the door to an IST and said.”It is often hard to realize that you and a few others lead this fleet for such a long time.”

The IST transported them to the command deck. Admiral McElligott was about to tour Freespace and inspect several hidden bases and meet with X Fleet ships and crews. Now that Nelson II was officially online and the strengthened PSI Corps was systematically checking all fleet personnel, a drastic increase of deserters was to be expected. His latest and most unusual asset, dealt with the renegade destroyer.

He had to admit it, that boy girl captain and that unusual crew was working out much better than expected.Not only did they find the Barracuda in time and stopped a fully armed Union destroyer, they discovered a race of highly advanced Miniature Terrans, helped adding one of the richest societies to the Union, discovered the religious origin of the Takkians and foiled a Kermac scheme which was still analyzed by his experts. And all that before they even reached their first target.

A human lieutenant intercepted them right as they stepped out of the Inter ship transport. “Admiral, Sir. I have the mission lead of project Sciuridae on secure channel, he urgently requests instructions.”

Sciuridae was the code name for a project on Dalbra, to slowly and unnoticed wrestle the Dalbarians away from Kermac control.

He got a cold feeling. If the project was uncovered by the Kermac, it could potentially lead to war. The old Admiral rushed after the lieutenant into the semi dark communications operation room of the Little Rock.

He seated himself behind a comm console, pointed out for him. “McElligott here, authenticity protocol initiated.”

“It took a few moments for both parties to identify themselves in a satisfactory way. The transmission was routed via GalCom Nano burst scramble and thus audio only. The being on the other side was a genuine Dalbarian, who had been carefully nursed into the position he was in. He was leading the clandestine efforts and managed to immunize the Dalbarian society against Kermac Will Benders, every year just a little more and support many of the local resistance groups in very subtle untraceable ways. According to the last report he estimated Dalbarians to be free of Kermac influence in two or three years, while similar subtle propaganda steered the Dalbarian towards the Union.

“Sir, so good to reach you. The local conditions have evolved into chaos.”

“Scunner! I was so certain the Dalbarian situation was well under control. Are you exposed?”

“No, Sir. But I think our operation needs serious re-evaluation.”

“Give me the details.”

“A Kermac expedition to add a new Thrall species returned, without the Kermac but with the Dolbarians and a new species. The Dolbarians celebrate the returning members of theirs as heroes. The Xandrao, that’s how those newcomers call themselves want to ally themselves with the Dalbarian.”

“Did you day Xandrao, huge guys looking like cows?”

“Yes Sir, I never heard of them before.”

“What are the Kermac doing?”

“That is the craziest thing, they arresting each other and they all accusing each other for all kinds of thought crimes.”

McElligott facepalmed himself.”Stay low, and keep me informed. I will call you back very shortly.”

The old admiral made another connection, this one was high quality as he and Richter base were well within GalCom reach. The direct and secure connection was to Richter Base. It took him a moment to get Cherubim on. The ANA director activated her visual pick up and revealed she was in her office. “Good evening O’Brock.I am monitoring a rather unusual gathering on Sin 4, but You would not call if it would not be important. Let me have it.”

“Captain Olafson and his crew, didn’t they run into a ship of the Xandrao?”

“Yes, we both heard her report. I, or rather NAVINT knew about the existence of the Xandrao, but in general terms they are virtually unknown. It seems the Kermac tried to make them into a thrall species.”

“Yes, yes. We did get the same report and I really want to interrogate those white faces to find out what they had planned in detail, but since we didn’t have any other X Fleet unit in the vicinity, at least none I wanted to reveal to Olafson. I told her to send the Xandrao to Auriga Xi as we have a nice little fleet built up, complete with pissed monitors of the Big Four treaty.”

Cherubim nodded.”Yes, that is the last info I have as well.”

“A Xandrao ship is currently in orbit of Dolbra. Xandraos are on the ground and there are very odd things going on among the Kermac.”

“Could not be the Tigershark. They have no Xandrao mask for their Janus device. It would take weeks of dedicated specialists and MATA HARI to create a new mask.”

“Just out of curiosity let us hail them. If they are on their way to Brhama, they are beyond regular GalCom. If they are anywhere near Dolbra, they are well within range of our hidden NAVINT repeaters.”


USS TIGERSHARK

Elfi called me over a Nano burst channel.”Captain, McElligott is calling for you.”

I separated myself from the celebrating crowd and stepped behind a column. That way I could keep an eye on things and still take the call.”Pipe him down and advise him I am unable to establish visuals.”

Seconds later, the image of the Admiral and the ANA director were displayed directly on my retina. “Good evening Ma’am. Good evening Sir. Please excuse my inability to establish visuals, I am on a planet surface and in costume.”

The Admiral coughed.”Costume? Just out of curiosity, you would not look like a Xandrao right now?”

“I must say, I am impressed Sir. But then you immortals have all this experience. What can I do for you, Sir?”

Cherubim, the secret service director interrupted.”You are on Dolbra? The Xandrao ship in orbit is the Tigershark?”

“Yes, director. But we used a genuine Xandrao shuttle to come down here. We are almost done anyway and we will be on our way to Brhama with just a week or two delay.”

McElligott coughed again.”Almost done with what? Give me a report.”

I told him about the Dolbarian dilemma and my idea to use the Xandrao as a way to fix the situation. “ ... and Narth neutralized the LRTs by sending them an entire season of ‘When the Robot watches’.” I could not help myself and unsuccessfully suppressed a giggle.”They going to be the best Roxy Scrub customers in the Galaxy. Anyhow, the Dolbarians are celebrating their freedom as we speak. There are about twenty thousand of them right here at their government complex.”

Har-Hi also disguised as a red pelted Xandrao stepped next to me and flashed his report into my retina display as well. We neutralized the Will Benders, but it turned out the locals were almost immune anyway.”

McElligott whispered with a hoarse voice.”Where are the Kermac?”

The ones that survived, have been packed like sardines in a Dolbarian ship and allowed to leave.”

Cherubim snapped.”They will return with reinforcements, new Will benders. The Dolbarians are not able to defend themselves, the real Xandrao are technological far behind the Togar and don’t even know about this. The Kermac will investigate.”

McElligott almost yelled.”And if the Kermac find out that there weren’t any real Xandrao they will blame us of an act of war.”

“Sir, the Xandrao will confirm, the real Xandrao and a delegation of Dolbarians are already on their way to Outpost 17 to make their official joint membership application. Thanks to heroic Dolbarian action, the Xandrao ship was saved from certain doom after a pirate attack. The Kermac envoys were captured by the pirates and must be feared sold as slaves or perhaps dead.”

I was not sure how to read the reaction of the Admiral. “Sir, I fail to understand your apparent displeasure. Is this not our prime agenda? The Dolbarians did not choose Kermac rule and besides the Kermac don’t let a day go by without a scheme directed against the Union.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.