Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol  6) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Captain Black Velvet (Vol 6)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Prologue

Freespace was not a natural region, it existed only on maps, in Nav-Tanks and Computronic files.

Its boundaries had been defined by diplomats and delegates during the last Armistice Conference on the ‘Planet of Intergalactic Peace’.

The ‘Big Four’, the Blue and about seventy independent space-faring civilizations discussed, argued, and finally agreed on this region.

This mutually ‘agreed-upon region of space’ was to act as a buffer zone between United Stars, Galactic Council, Shiss space, and the Nul, aka the Big Four.

Thus, give those who did not want to ally themselves with one of the big powers a peaceful place to exist and develop after their own fashion. On the very core of this treaty was the agreement that no official ships or parties of any of the Big Four were allowed to enter Freespace, including Military ships, law enforcement, or even science expeditions.

Freespace was meant to be a free trade zone for civilian commerce and traffic. With trade and travel so it was hoped, came understanding and thus lasting peace.

Freespace did not turn out to be the region of peace where free commerce and civil exchange of culture would erode the differences as the dreamers, diplomats and Utopians hoped it would. Instead, it became a breeding ground of pirates and a destination of the lawless from every corner of the Galaxy. Planets like Sin 4, Alvor’s Cove, Kalimant, Drogs, and N’ger gained notoriety as places where law and order meant nothing and for the right price, everything was for sale.

Most of the seventy societies that signed the Treaty to remain independent regretted their decision as their worlds became the target of pirate attacks and slaver raids.

The biggest independents were the Togar, the Karthanians, and the Shattered Empire of the Oghr.

The Karthanians hated the Togar and the Togar disliked everyone, except for dinner.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.