I Didn't Know - Cover

I Didn't Know

Copyright© 2018 by The Twelfth Man

Chapter 1

Even before I graduated from The U of M (University of Michigan) I knew I was going to join The New York Giants probably for the next five years; I hoped.

In some ways I was lucky. I made a deal with a lineman who was traded to Miami. He had been with the Giants five years, very similar to what I expected for myself except he was not a ‘Rook’ and had purchased a $2 million apartment. He made a few million more than my $465,000 a year pittance. No way, no how could I have afforded it; but ... he took my lease payment because I was there with the money; it was a done deal.

In New York City there was one, no two primary indicators for value; size and location. Location, location, location was the prime reason this apartment was a winner. I could walk almost anywhere. Today I went shopping.

Those of you who have lived in New York know that shopping for food by no way resembles supermarkets in other cities. Add to that the buyer, me was a rookie. I never, ever had to shop for food. I never even saw the inside of a kitchen let alone cooked. Don’t even mention things like housework, cleaning and washing; those were ‘in the Twilight Zone’ for me.

Day one, I entered ‘my castle’. I then exited to the nearest hotel. How did I know an apartment came empty. Sans anything, Nada, nothing, not a stick of anything. Three days and $7,890 later I had 17 different places vying to use the elevator to deliver my meager start at decorating my new abode.

Now I had a good start, right?

Not on your tabletop microwave’s life. Aren’t kitchens supposed to come fully equipped? Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, knives, forks, spoons and cooking things should come as a apartment standard, right? No way in Hell could any set of pots and pans cost $1,000! $178 to make coffee even. The straw that broke the sea-lion’s side was some stupid HOA, then internet, phone, TV and a ridiculous monthly parking fee that ran over $1,000. Can you believe?

My castle was almost complete now; except ... missing were desk, comfy chair, laptop, printer, cables, power this, plug that and, and, and to no ending what I needed; to the tune of another $3,321.

Opps! One last thing, things actually and it was day 5 and I was still not capable of living in my own apartment. If it was not for Jack and his wife Bonnie taking pity to feed me I would be a skin and bones skeleton. I needed one, no two no... 127 other things like food, spices and condiments.

I went to my handy, dandy food mart off 7th Avenue, Luigi’s, with the list coach provided, cash in pocket. I went in, saw a warm body, went over and handed her my list. She looked at it, looked at me and began to laugh. ‘What gives?’ I thought.

I looked close at the 17 pages of food. Category A seemed easy. Fresh fruit. Apples, pears, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, grapes,,,, etc.

The B category, Grains got a bit murky. Cereals, breads, crackers, cookies, cakes and on and on. Is rice pudding a grain or a dessert? It got worse, far worse with category C, Entrees. What the Hell do they mean by, Lean Beef, Pork, Veal, Chicken, Fish, ... stores do not sell things that only say that.

I guess she took pity on me when I started panting. I explained who I was, what I needed and that I lived nearby. It was about three blocks away. She looked at my list, asked if I had this, that or something. She was named Blake Daniels, petite, pixie like, flat chested but dressed in a tight shirt and jeans that made you look at her twice.

Blake Daniels began our journey through the store together. She had to have years of experience in this since our first stop was the store manager. She asked him a half-dozen questions to which the manager informed her they did not have it in the store. He paused. But...

The answer was the same. “No! But if it’s food related we have it in the warehouse. We have 37 stores in greater New York; they should have anything you need,”

“There you go, just make out a list, let him give you a price and pick it up in a few days.”

She turned and started to walk away.

“Oh no you don’t Blake. Have I got a deal for YOU!”

She got a look on her face I could not understand. “No can do, my plate is full with...”

“$2,000 a month, work your own hours, cook, clean, wash and shop for me.”

“I wash everyday already.” She mimicked taking a shower.

“Very funny! Look, I am lost with all this. You can have fruit and cereal ready for me the night before for breakfast. I usually am not home for lunch except a few months of the year, you would only need to cook dinner. I am on-the-road a lot and usually attend dinner meetings once every week. I really need your help here, I’ll pay $2,500 a month plus all you eat.”

I had to laugh at that, She was not even 100 pounds. A large bag of flour might dwarf her she was so small.

“I’ll try to do it or at least get you started as to how to do it.”

To get started I set up an account with George, the store manager and made myself and Blake as the buyers. For about 15% more everything previously ordered would be delivered within 1 hour after a phone call. They were open 24/7. I confirmed that frozen went into the freezer, cold in the fridge and dry goods in the pantry. Blake could sign off on everything.

She had the ‘Deer caught in the headlights’ look as I kept talking. One thing I immediately noticed was if I told her something she would nod her head and agree.

“Let’s check out where you live and my place to see how far they are from each other, put you on the access list there and get you some keys.”

Her building was only two blocks to the store but about six and a half to mine. I liked this girl and did not want her to be walking through wind, rain, snow and the streets of New York.

“Blake, I’ll pay you back for everything you spend. I also want you to use cabs coming to me and the valet in my building will drive you to wherever you want to go, back home or anywhere else in town. I’ll pay for that too. You can also use my car when you need.”

She nodded.

We got to my building. I introduced her to Jimmy, the head of guest services. he got her set up with access via a key card, put her name on the approved user list, took her photo and gave her a directory of services. I did not know we had a pool, indoor garden, sauna and hot tub nor that almost any personal services were also available. This solved the pizza, ribs, chicken and dry cleaning problem. I laughed and told Blake the laundry could go to them but no delivery cooking for me.

The apartment was not huge but had three bedrooms and three bathrooms, One had a shower, one a tub and the master a large whirlpool. Her eyes lit up when she saw the small study and laptop. We’ll get you one too and you and me cell phones so we can reach each other. In the desk will be cash for food, expenses and your salary. Just make a note what you take and why on the computer.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.