Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 77

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Our first day together didn’t start until our second day. I forced Janet to wait until her ‘Roid’ effects had at least begun to clear her brain before I would begin work. I did allow her to take her new car to Walmart to buy a rolling desk chair, in lieu of rent. Being a renter gave her more rights and privileges than being a simple guest. Her love of order in all things led her to write an agreement.

We more or less agreed to not cause each other any grief. Paying rent entitled her to skip all or part of the daily excursions. They had changed from simple hikes to bike rides. While she was at Walmart she bought a beach cruiser bike for under a hundred bucks. Since she considered it another weeks rent, she agreed to making me the new owner. She also understood that it had to be stored in her bedroom.

I was surprised that on day two she joined me on the morning ride. Mikah was no puppy, so on the morning rides I began to wrap her in a blanket. When she decided, if she ever did, to stay home there would be no hard feelings. My rides were for medical reasons mostly, but some was my punishment for allowing myself to be shot in the first place, and some for allowing myself to be in the wrong place when that car full of drug thugs wrecked us. If that was who did it. I still had my doubts about that.

Anyway, Janet and I rode to the park on day two. I stopped the trike and Mikah’s curiosity got the best of her. She wanted to explore in the dawn’s early light. Janet and I sat on a bench in the almost, cold morning air.

“So you do this every morning?” Janet asked.

“Unless it’s pouring rain, or snowing,” I replied.

“You are still a beast,” she suggested.

“Hardly, I’m just trying to keep the ability to move around freely,” I said.

“You must have some really good drugs,” she suggested.

“Yeah, Tylenol and Aleve,” I replied.

“That’s all you take?” she asked.

“I do take an allergy tablet to help me shut down my mind at night” I admitted.

After our ride home things did change slightly from my usual morning routine. Janet insisted on taking a shower. Since I had the smallest hot water heater made, she exhausted it before I got around to a shower.

For breakfast I opted for bran cereal. Like everything else in my life, bran cereal wasn’t as easy as opening the box. Oh no I had to start with the empty cereal bowl. I had a half dozen cereal bowls from an old diner, whose new owner had replaced their ‘diner’ ware after the purchase. I bought them from a thrift store. Into the bottom of the bowl I poured the contents of a chemical sweetener. Next I added half a banana cut into small chunks, after that I added half a bowl of cardboard tasting bran flakes. Then I filled the bowl with 2% milk and stirred it well. I let it sit while I recovered my day old coffee from the microwave.

So much time passed while I did that chore, that I was jealous when Janet come into the kitchen with her cinnamon bun. She washed it down with orange juice made from concentrate.

“Since I brought a can of coffee grounds, can I have a cup of your fresh coffee?” she asked when the bun was gone.

“Sure as long as you brew the next pot, and put it in the aging jar,” I said. The aging jar was actually an iced tea pitcher with an ‘x’ on the outside. The ‘x’ was made of red duct tape. Like everything in my life the coffee ritual was complicated. I brewed the coffee one day, then poured the whole pot into the brewing pitcher. The brewing pitcher lid was self sealing. The thing let me have day old coffee first thing the next morning.

“Sure, I remember how to do it,” she informed me. “You are as peculiar as ever I see.”

“I’m probably even more so now,” I said.

“Before we begin with the season 2 plan, tell me how the lawsuit against the FBI is going?” she asked.

“Thia’s ‘X’ tells her how it is going not me, but she says not to worry. Since I don’t owe the hospital anything, I don’t mind letting it slide. By the time we reach a settlement, Jon will be retired. It should come in handy for him.”

“Well it will be good for him to start off life with a million bucks,” Janet said.

“I’ll believe that when I see it. So let’s get to work on ‘That Bitch Tory’ season 2” I suggested.

“Before we start who’s turn is it to be the dishwasher?” Janet asked.

“How about I do it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You can do it Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday if you are here,” I suggested.

“That’s fine,” Janet agreed.

Now you have screwed around enough, you need to get down to the work which brings you here.” I demanded.

“Okay, I’ve been dancing around because I don’t have a clue what we can do,” she admitted.

“Yeah, I thought so. I think maybe the dark side of the legal pot business might be a good story line. We could examine the black market in pot, as well as in moonshine. Moonshine is as old as the country itself. So that means bootlegging is as well. It has always been about screwing the government out of their tax revenues,” I suggested.

“Yeah we can tell two stories. One story about the bootleggers and the other about the attempt to stop them,” Janet suggested.

“Three stories, One about the producers of the liquor and growers of the pot. A second about the bootleggers, and the third about Tory and her unit trying to destroy them both.” I suggested.

“God yes, I love it,” Janet agreed because her brain was empty from the ‘Roids’.

After she said that Janet began mapping out the episodes. I personally would not have bothered, but then the planning wasn’t supposed to me my forte. My job was to make the character likable, or hated. Either one was fine, so long as it was enough to hold the audience’s interest from week to week.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.