Mr. Rogers' Research - Cover

Mr. Rogers' Research

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 73

While the FBI agents on the ground were busy trying to cover their asses, they held on to June and I. When the DC over-site group showed up three days after Eddie Archer was in the wind, they began interrogating me and June. I explained to the investigators that I had a pretty good idea what Eddie had done. I told them that I had explained it to Harry the facility director, before the escape, but he told me I watched too many movies.

They held on to the two of us for almost two weeks without charging us. Jane finally said enough, either release us or charge us. Even with Eddie in the wind the net result was impressive. So they didn’t want any negative press on the operation.

Wilkes showed up after June’s ultimatum. “Well Rogers, you are deep in the shit again,” agent Wilkes commented.

“It appears that way,” I replied. “I do assure you, we had nothing to do with your men losing Eddie Archer.”

“If you did have something to do with it, that was a brilliant plan,” he said.

“Well, I’m not that smart,” I replied. “You know that.”

“No I don’t know that. But I will take your word for it. However, we are going to release you in the morning,” he said. We will drive you home. You can call home tonight, without it being monitored. Please don’t discuss the last two and a half months. And never reveal the existence of Beachwood Lodge.

We were in the back seat of a large FBI SUV when it got T-boned by a smaller SUV. Someone decided to empty their assault rifles into our ride. I could only thank god that they were thugs not soldiers. The two of them emptied one magazine each then they jumped into a four door acura and rode away. I didn’t even get to draw my weapon. The two FBI agents did manage to return fire with their hand guns. I thought I saw one of the thugs react to the returning fire.

Whatever the reason the firefight lasted only a couple of minutes. I discovered that I couldn’t get my left leg free. June had some glass cuts other wise we were fine. The fire department came and pried the frame of the Lincoln Navigator off my leg. The firemen took a look at it and put me on a back board. Then they placed the backboard on gurney. My next recollection was waking up in a hospital.

I couldn’t even remember the Emergency Room. I was out during the ride to the Watauga Medical Center as well as the whole emergency room experience. When I woke up I felt like I was floating on a cloud. I asked for a glass of water, but before it came, I drifted off again.

The next time I woke up, I called a nurse. When she arrived, I asked, “How long have a been out?”

“A while, I have orders to answer your questions. So please don’t ask anything to which you don’t want an honest answer.” she said.

“So I’ve been out long enough for my daughter to arrive,” I said. “No one else would ask you to tell me the truth, no matter how bad it is.”

“So how bad is the leg?” I asked.

“Broke in half a dozen places and the hip joint was destroyed. The doctor has everything on hold till you can make the decision about surgery,” the nurse explained.

“Okay you did your duty, now can I see my daughter?” I asked.

“She and your grandson went out to dinner. She will be back soon. If you like I can find your cell phone. You can call to let her know how you are doing.”

“No, it can wait,” I explained. “Don’t want to disturb her dinner.” At that point I was hungry and thirsty. Since they had a tent over my legs, I knew I wasn’t going to be thrilled by the news, even before she gave it to me. All I could do was complain, which is probably why the nurse wanted to keep me filled with drugs.

I managed to stay awake until Thia and Jon returned. I was simply napping when they came in the room. I woke to see them both standing over me. “Well this is once, that you can hover,” I said.

“I can see you are going to milk this for all it’s worth,” Thia said with tears in her eyes.

“I am. So how is your friend Jane,” I asked.

“She is down the hall. she is just in for observation. She got a nasty bump on the head. She said to tell you. ‘Don’t you dare sign anything. You can not sign away Jon inheritance,’ were her exact words.”

“Even after two months and the water boarding we shared, She can’t tell me what to do.” I said it with what had to pass for a grin.

“So, how do you feel?” Jon asked.

“Honestly, at the moment, I’m on the upside of my drugs,” I said. “So I feel fine. Ask me in an hour and I can tell you more.”

“Now Dad, you tell them when they get through with your experimental surgeries, you have a place to go,” Thia said.

“Yes I do. It’s called the Car Wash,” I suggested. “You can stop by after your shift to bring me your left over donuts, other wise I’ll be fine.”

“This can all wait,” she said. “Just tell them for sure you have a place to go.”

“Actually more than one,” Jon said smiling.

“Thanks, but I haven’t even talked to the doctor yet,” I explained.

“I haven’t talked to your doctor yet either. I can tell you that you are pretty fucked up dad. Your left side took the most damage. Your already fucked up leg has five breaks and it’s going to need surgery to get it working properly again. Not to mention broken ribs. They are going to want to replace that fucked up hip joint at the same time,” Thia explained.

“Yeah, might as well get the major overhaul,” I admitted.

“You are going to be flat on your ass for a while.” Thia said.

“Well girl I will cope. Long as I can make coffee and order a pizza, I’ll survive,” I assured her.

“Tell Jane to come see me, before she leaves the hospital,” I suggested. Thia and Jon drove home late that night.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.