Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 71

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Twenty minutes later Mica arrived for the free pizza and diet coke. I always had a few canned diet cokes around for company. While I ate Pizza and drank my Ice tea made from a mix, I told Mica the story about the man who approached me and his latest threats.

“This guy has to be an idiot to threaten you. So you are telling me you never asked his name?” Mica asked.

“No, I didn’t care at first, and then I didn’t think it would be a good idea,” I explained. “But I do have his picture and the plates off the car he was driving.”

“Let me check this out and I’ll get back with you when I get a chance,” she offered.

I could tell she was uncomfortable with me and Janet in the same room at the same time. Maybe it’s just because it’s lunch time, I thought. She did stay for a while longer, while we talked about what I planned to do next.

The plan was simple I didn’t have a plan at all. “I’m just going to live my life,” I said without any elaboration.

“Good for you, and Janet is going to live your life as well. At least as long as you need a body guard,” Mica said turning to Janet. “Isn’t that right honey?”

“Yes it is. Besides we still have lot’s off work on Tory, Mica’s alter ego,” Janet said. Then she had to explain what she meant. That sat Mica off wanting to read the script, so that she could comment on her character. Janet was much nicer than I would have been, but I also never would have told her about Tory.

By five o’clock we had the name of my mystery drug dealer. His name was Eddie Archer. He seemed to be a low level, for a much larger operation. It didn’t seem unreasonable, so I never expected to hear from him again.

From that time onward Janet and I concentrated on the script. We still hiked three times a day, and I still found time to take the three wheeler out to make pictures a couple of times a week. The weeks passed quickly. Before I knew it, Janet asked me what we were going to do to celebrate.

“Don’t you think we should at least wait for the last script to be paid, before we celebrate?” I asked.

“That isn’t what I meant,” she informed me. “I’m talking about Thanksgiving. It’s next week you know.”

“Ah I see,” I said. “Well I usually go to someone’s house for lunch, then stay home and watch TV.” I said.

“So what about this year. We always have thanksgiving dinner at my parent’s house,” she asked. “They have made a big deal about it this year.”

“Then you really should go, but you don’t want me to go,” I said. “I should do something with Thia anyway.”

“Are you sure?” Janet asked.

“Of course, maybe I’ll even invite Mica to Thia’s house for dinner,” I replied.

“Then I can write a new script for a hallmark movie. The thanksgiving murder.” Janet suggested.

“Murder, keep it in the family, would be a better title,” I suggested. “Especially if I invited Mica and her daughter, but you know I might take them all out to dinner and not tell them who all is coming.”

I called Mary’s Diner and talked to Mary’s Daughter. “No sir Mr Rogers we ain’t gonna be open on Thanksgiving,” she informed me. “Thanksgiving is for family.”

“I know, I want to have my family for dinner, but I can’t cook and my place is too small. Would you let us use your diner, if I arranged for the food be brought in and just served there. Our people will not advertise it, but if any of your regular customers show up, we will invite them in. We will just be their family for a day. Also my family will do the work. I think even my daughter can handle heating the food,”

“It’s gonna cost you,” the daughter said.

“I would expect no less,” I agreed.

“Okay let me think on it.” May suggested.

The return call came in the next day after my walk and just before Janet left for her parents home. May called and suggested her diner for the Thanksgiving meal, but only if I agreed to pay the salaries of any of her people who might want to help.

“You ever met my cook John?” she asked.

“I have waved at him now and then,” I admitted.

“Well John agreed to start making food now for the dinner after work. That gives him three days to cook all the food here in my kitchen. How many people you planning on?” she asked.

“No more than ten of us, but how many do you expect just to show up looking for a meal?” I asked.

“It’s more complicated than that. John has got a wife and three kids, I got a couple of grown kids, And some of the rest of my staff have nowhere to go?” she explained. “So they in or you are out,”

“I can live with all that. So figure your people and add ten for me,” I suggested, “But I’m going to make my guests all work. John can cook it, but we are going to heat it and serve it.”

“You are crazy, but okay. Who is going to clean up,” May asked.

“I’ll figure out something,” I said.

“I don’t want nothing for the use of the Diner, but the cost of food and then John needs to be paid for his work,” May said to justify her charge.

“So just give me a number,” I suggested.

“Four hundred,” she demanded.

I agreed immediately. Mostly because I had no idea what it should cost. I also figured she was footing a good share of the cost, by just allowing us to use the diner.

The people in my life didn’t warm up to working, until I shamed them some. Thia, Mica, Jon and Effie came around. I allowed each of them to invite a friend, but no couples. Their guests had to be people with no where else to go.

My family, which now kind of include Mica, pitched in to get the precooked food warmed. Then they pitched in to get it ready to serve cafeteria style. Extra folding tables showed up from nowhere. I later found they were donated by the cook John. He had them, since he did a little catering on the side. God cooperated with an absolutely beautiful day. It all went well and I made a lot of new friends.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.