Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 70

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Out of the goodness in my heart I left the Car Wash quietly. In doing so I left the two women in bed. Yes they were in bed together. I figured they planned it, so that neither of them had to get out of bed at 6AM. Mikah and I left on our walk. I walked by the convenience store where everything seemed to happen. The man from a couple of weeks before pulled out out of the parking lot, then pulled up beside me.

“I need your and Tripod’s help,” he said.

“Sorry I can’t help you with your business,” I said.

“Listen man, I lost something on the docks in Wilmington. I need to know if it was because a dog sniffed it, or someone talked. Now your dog needs to sniff a package for me. If she get it, we are finished.”

“And if she doesn’t?” I asked.

“Then I guess we are finished then to,” he said.

I gave him a hard look. “Okay, but just this once,” I said.

“How do I know you won’t go to the cops,” he asked.

“I guess you don’t know. Maybe we should just both go for our guns and see who is faster. In which case Mikah won’t sniff your package,” I suggested. “One or both of us will have died for nothing. I don’t think you thought this through.”

“What do you suggest,” he asked.

“I’ll let her check the package, but first you give me a hundred bucks. Then I will be working for you. I never give up those I work for unless they do me wrong.” I said. I wasn’t looking for a client. I was looking for a way to avoid a gun fight at the ‘Little Miss Saigon’ convenience store.

We both were standing outside the car. He allowed me to lean on my walking stick. My odds got a lot better because of that. He pulled out a large box from the trunk. He put it on the ground and pointed at her. Mikah ignored the box completely.

“Nothing,” I said. “If this is exactly the packaging used on the stuff, then it wasn’t sniffed out.” I said. “You need to figure it out. I mean someone turned on someone.”

“Okay man. Maybe you can test the packages from now on?” he suggested.

“No way, I don’t need your money again. Let’s part now and forget each other. You don’t want to enter a war with me.” My phone rang. I used it to take his picture before I answered Janet’s call.

“What can I do for you,” I said.

“How much longer you going to be?” she asked.

“Not too long why,” I asked.

“We are going to Dairy Queen for Biscuits. Should we bring you one.” Janet asked.

“Yeah make It bacon egg and cheese,” I replied.

He drove away and I still didn’t know his name. I did have a picture of his face, and a picture of his license plate, so I said, “I own your ass now mother fucker.”

Mikah and I continued our walk. I did cut it short so my biscuit wouldn’t get cold. I also wanted to discuss my morning’s encounter with Mica. I needed her over breakfast and alone at the kitchen table, for the discussion. That never happened so I didn’t get to discuss anything with Mica.

Janet inserted herself into every conversation at some level. She was a bundle of nerves. I was pretty sure she was just excited to be with us, not under the influence of anything. I had wanted her to get a sense of who Mica was for our screen play, so I didn’t try to get rid of her.

I could tell that Mica enjoyed hanging out with Janet. That relationship was going nowhere, so it was an easy one. I knew that they would have to forge their own rules to manage it. Somethings would be out of bounds, but others would be made then even stronger. There was no where for me to fit the drug dealer in at the moment.

He could become the common enemy, and help cement there friendship, but I was reluctant to mention it. Mica might run away screaming, if anything else were added to her plate at the moment. Even if that something were part of her professional life, not part of her personal life.

As for Janet and I, we found ourselves outside on the deck. The aluminum awning covered the rear half of the deck, so there was shade and sunlight. We just had to move our chairs to position them for either. We could even work outside during a storm, which I had done often. At that time I didn’t have Janet with her concerns for damage to her computer.

“Fuck the computer, I don’t want to lose all the work we have done,” she said.

“Janet back it up on line. You can use my account to store the information. I explained. Janet spent the next half hour copying information to my account. Then downloading her copies to empty usp drives made by dependable companies. I had a plastic shoe box full of usb drives.

After all the shucking and jiving, we returned to work on the 4th episode. In that episode the strike team butting heads with the state’s Swat Team. There were so many things wrong with the episode we agreed to scrap it and just start over.

I flushed out all the characters, but I also skinny down the interactions. Instead of a power struggle, I introduced them to cooperation. The crime dejour was a bank robbery committed by four young black-men. The silent alarm went off before the bad guys got control of the employees. Before they knew it they were surrounded. Since the bank was a smaller branch within sight of the state capitol building, it got the attention of every cop in a town filled with cops.

There were so many cops they probably killed every blade of grass on the small lot where the bank was located. Some landscaper was going to have a real job restoring it. However in the meantime keeping the five employees and three customers alive was the most important thing. The grass was way down the list of things to worry about. As a matter of fact it wasn’t even on the list.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.