Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 59

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

I was in the car headed back to the motel/office when the sheriff’s car pulled me over. Since I wasn’t doing anything, I wasn’t worried. I got my registration out of the dash and had it ready. That was so that I didn’t need to explain the Colt revolver in my dash. He would have no need to do a body search, so the two two mag should be fine. I also turned the digital recorder on as well. There might be something happen which Janet would needed to hear about.

The deputy, who was about ready for retirement, approached the car. “License and registration?” he requested.

“Good morning deputy. I expected you to be a city policeman,” I suggested handing him both documents.

“Where you headed?” he asked.

“Back to my motel, after a delightful breakfast at Mary’s Diner,” I replied.

“Yeah, I like Mary’s, but my doctor doesn’t. He swears her Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit is stroke in a bag. It should come with a label ‘only consume withing twenty yards of an Emergency room’,” the deputy replied. “I was ‘kinka’ hoping to meet your partner. You know the little girl who kick Rebel Martin’s ass last night.’

“That would be Janet. I think she is still sleeping. It was a long night for her. We stayed awake, just in case Rebel wanted a rematch,” I said.

“You are good with him. I had a talk with him. Told him, if she so much as broke a fingernail, he would be doing time,” the deputy said.

“That’s my kind of justice,” I said with a smile.

“Well y’all take care chief, and if you need anything just give me a call,” he said that pointing at his name tag. I didn’t pay any attention to his tag. He had been sent to let me know that his boss knew we were in town. I drove the Accent directly back to the Allegheny Motel. I checked the room we shared, then sent Mikah into the room before me. I closed the door, then knocked on the door to the adjoining room.

Lottie the bartender opened the door. “Good morning. While I was waking my son Jarrett this morning I made some coffee at home. I brought some back with me. Would you like a cup,” she asked.

“No thanks, I’ve had too much coffee already. I have to switch to milk, but thanks for reminding me I didn’t pick up any,” I said. “Is Janet still sleeping?”

“She is in the shower,” Lottie replied.

“Okay, I’m going to watch the morning news. Tell her we need to talk,” I suggested. Which was exactly what I did. I got the national cable news as well as the local news. The local news was news from Asheville. My guess was there was no news in Sparta worth mentioning. Of course the sheriff’s deputy knew all about Janet and Rebel.

About fifteen minutes later the connecting door to Janet’s room opened. “What you need partner?” she asked. It was obvious to me that she wanted Lottie to know she was an equal partner in crime.

“You might want to hear this,” I said playing the deputies tape for her.

“That is strange. I mean, he seemed to be impressed, but I’m not planning to sign autographs,” Janet explained.

“Good,” I said. “We need to pick up some milk on our way to see Vera.”

“What do you guys need with that junkie whore?” Lottie asked.

“Do you know for sure she’s a real junkie,” I asked.

“No, but I know she turns tricks, and she almost always looks high,” Lottie informed Janet.

“Janet, we need to go talk to Vera, now,” I suggested.

“Okay give me ten minutes and I’ll be ready. You gonna drive?” she asked.

“Yeah we need to take Mikah,” I suggested.

“Yeah, you know she get hair all over my seat,” she said.

“Did you hear that Mikah? Remind her about the hair I find in my Shower at home,” I said with a gentle laugh.

We were in the Accent driving to a convenience store for chocolate milk, when Janet asked, “You just had to mention, that I shared a house with you?”

“What the hell are you talking about,” I asked.

“That remark about hair in the shower. You said that just to let Lottie know I was sleeping with you to get my job,” She said.

“Bullshit the comment was to let you know, you shed hair just like Mikah. I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about,” I replied as I pulled up to the sidewalk into the store. I left her in the car while I bought a small carton of Chocolate milk. I was supposed to drink it with breakfast, but I often had it a couple of hours before or after. This one was an hour and a half after breakfast.

Janet and I didn’t say a word. The only voices was the lady from the off brand gps. She lead me right to the trailer belonging to Vera, Frank James’s girl friend.

After the introduction at the door Vera and I began to discuss Frank. “I need to ask you was Frank staying here the night he was murdered. The cops think he surprised a burglar. Excuse me for saying so, but this wouldn’t be my first choice to come looking for money to steal,” I suggested.

“Now that you mention it, there wasn’t ‘nothin’ stolen,” she said. “And yeah frank had been staying here for a week or so.”

“Did you and Frank have a shotgun in the house,” I asked.

“No, we didn’t,” she said.

“Before Frank lost his driver’s license what exactly was he doing for money?” I asked.

“He was delivering shine for the still operators,” She said. “Frank wasn’t near as dumb as everyone thought. He managed to convince the still owners to let him take all the risks. He had a reputation for being a stand up guy. I guess that’s what convinced them to trust him.”

“So how much was he making at the delivery game?” I asked,

“Some weeks he made as much as a thousand bucks. It was almost always over five hundred,” she stated. “Them shiners miss him, I’m sure.”

“I’ll bet they do. I just need you to do one more thing for me. Write down the names of the shiners, and the name of the man who is delivering for them now,” I demanded.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.