Mr. Rogers' Research - Cover

Mr. Rogers' Research

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 55

“Your honor there are a few other things which need to be addressed at this time as well as bail.” my imported lawyer suggested to the judge.

“Counselor this is the bail hearing first,” the judge reminded her. “So let’s get to it.”

“The only charge before the court is an interference with the federal investigation. Since this is a non violent crime, if there was a crime, which we deny. Since Mr Rogers surrendered peacefully and since he is a local citizen and former Chief of Police in this area, we submit he is not a flight risk. Furthermore, since he has no family other than his daughter who lives here, he is even less of a flight risk we are requesting remand.”

“Your honor the government is requesting a $100,000 dollar bail. I would like to point out that Mr. Roger was found to be in possession of several firearms at the time of his arrest. Though the charges are non violent, they do carry a significant period of incarceration when he is convicted, so he has some incentive to disappear.”

“Why don’t we split the difference $50,000 property or cash bond. As to the other items on your requests counselor, I’m going to allow the government to hold the firearms for testing. They will be returned to your client as soon as testing is completed. As to his frozen assets, the government has shown no compelling reason why his assets should be attached. The government has shown no proof of a criminal enterprise, so I see no reason to hold his assets captive. So counselor you will be paid after all. If there is nothing else, release the defendant’s assets post haste,” The judge required of the FBI.

“We don’t need your statement to convict you of trying to impede our investigation,” the prosecutor said.

“No comment,” my law dog said. After the court room had emptied out the mouth piece asked, “Can you make bail.”

“Yeah there is no mortgage on the car wash. I can allow them to hold the deed,” I said.

“I am not going to ask you questions unless I need to know the answers to defend you. So don’t fucking lie to me,” she demanded.

“You have aged in the last two hours. You do indeed seem old enough to have earned the right to wear the fancy suit this afternoon,” I suggested.

“They are going to ask you where you stayed while on your little vacation. So tell me.” she demanded standing in the hall outside the courtroom.

“I don’t remember. Some mom and pop motel inland a few miles. I paid cash for the room and didn’t get a receipt,”

“There was a rumor that you had several false identifications,” she said.

“Rumors are mostly wrong. When they searched Janet’s car they found all our firearms, but that’s all. All of those weapons were legally purchased and never used in the course of any crime. I do want them back, since I have some pretty large enemies,” I suggested.

“You don’t know the half of it. They also took all the weapons from your home,” Eva the law dog said.

“Then get them back as soon as possible. I have a gang of Poles and a group of Rappers after me. If they come now, I’m fucked,” I said.

“Go out and buy the inventory of a pawn shop,” she said.

“Alright, when this is over I’ll be able to open my own gun shop,” I said.

“Since I’m here let’s go over your testimony, if I have to put you on the stand,” she suggested.

“I think not. Anything I say on record now will come back to bite me on the ass later. Let’s let the government bring what they have on me to the table and then I’ll work on it.” I said.

“Okay, I’ll push for the discovery items immediately. In the meantime try to keep your nose clean,” she said.

“Don’t worry, the odds are good that this will never go to trial,” I said.

“Then I’ll go back to Raleigh and work on my golf game while I figure out ways to pad the Durham Co-ops bill. Don’t worry they can afford it. They can use the money they are going to screw you out of on the new TV series,” Eva suggested.

“So it’s going to be you screwing me out of the money?” I asked.

“Ed let’s face it, I might be better at screwing you than anyone you are now screwing, so my professional advice is, sit back and enjoy it,” Eva said with a smile. “For my future information why didn’t the cops find your false ID’s?”

“Because, in spite of the rumors floating around, I don’t have any fake IDs. I did have a small package of papers, which Thea had in her car. If she had been stopped, there was no reason for her car to be searched. Speaking of all that, how was the stop of Janet legal. She did not have any warrants outstanding, and her paper work was in order.”

“You were driving her car. They had an alert to stop her car and search for you. You were a wanted felon. They might have lost, if they tried to charge her with anything, so they didn’t. They have been pretty restrained in their charging so far,” she said.

“That is because they are up to their asses in questionable activities. Most of the decisions were made in the U.S. Attorney General’s office. Everybody is in save their own ass mode. Anything they use on me will probably come back to bite them on the ass,” I said.

“You better hope you are right,” she said.

Jon picked me up when Eva left for her office. I had him drop me outside the car wash. After he left the parking lot, I drove the accent to the pawn shop nearest the car wash. I was in a hurry, so I bought one 12ga. Remington pump shotgun and one 12 guage Mossburg pump shotgun. Even with the checks and balances I was home before dead dark. Since Janet and Thia had been taking care of Mikah, I wasn’t worried.

As soon as I got them home I broke down and cleaned the shotguns, then loaded them and put them by the doors. I was glad I had the war club/walking stick ready for my morning walk. Janet came in about 7PM.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.