Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 54

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Nobody got much one on one time unless we arranged it. Our walks with Mikah became our designated one on one time for private talks. We knew Mikah didn’t judge, and wouldn’t take offense at anything, or be shocked by anything. So it was early on the third morning when Thia said something disturbing during our walk with Mikah.

“Dad, when we get back, I’m going to see someone,” she said.

“Okay hon, find someone you like and have them send me the bills. Do you think Jon needs someone as well?” I asked.

“I think he is fine. He has Effie now, so he has settled down some,” she said. “I am going to move over to the second bed tonight.”

“Okay, but I think it maybe time to return home and roll the dice. It been three days since the story broke, and it keeps growing in the press. It isn’t likely that anyone will do anything at the present time.” I said.

“What you are really saying is that we have had this orgy for no reason,” she suggested when we reached the pier.

“I kind of enjoyed it, but yeah it was likely a scare for no reason,” I answered. “Look I was serious send me the bills and if you need me to change things, I will. At least as much as I can and still be me.”

She gave me a very daughter like kiss, as we approached the rear entrance to the motel.

“Let me check the video to see if I need to make any other plans, but for now we are leaving after breakfast,” I said to Janet.

She just nodded. She didn’t even ask why. I reviewed the videos. The only thing I saw that was the least bit suspicious, were three black teenagers scoping the place out. They most likely were wasting their time since if they rattled the door, a very loud firehouse bell rang for three minutes straight. It would then reset it self and wait for the next shake of a door or opening of a window. The bell was a bit of early 20th century firehouse technology, but the sensors and the wireless circuit was very 21st century. The kids lacked the muscle, or the tech skills to disable the bell. When it went off, it was so annoying that the cat lady was sure to notice it. Another reason I tried to stay on her, if not good side, her neutral side.

The rest of the video was just the FBI SUV stopping in for their morning coffee in my parking lot. As usual, one of them gave me the one finger salute. They seemed to think that bothered me. News flash it didn’t.

I waited until after breakfast at 10AM to have the housekeeping lady call the front desk and tell him Mikah had been the model Southern Belle, dogie version, and order them to release my pet deposit. With that taken care of, and the two cars packed up, we made a mini convoy heading for home. The drive would be quicker going back, I hoped.

We had arranged to meet in Durham for lunch at the Varsity diner and sandwich shop. We made a ceremony of returning to the world. We placed the batteries back into our phones and looked at the messages. Mine we mostly from the FBI threatening my freedom, but there were a couple of ‘Rogers you are a dead man’ tossed in as well. Being back on line might be a good thing, but for me it was a reminder of how unpopular I was at the moment.

The ladies on the other hand made calls and tried to talk over the late lunch crowd at the Varsity. Not an easy task, I assure you. I on the other hand enjoyed my burger and fries. I even enjoyed the diet coke, which I had fewer of in those days due to my almost bleeding gut.

With everyone, but me caught up, we continued our drive. I pulled Janet’s car into the highway rest stop to walk Mikah. Thia joined me to get away from Janet.

“I’m feeling better, so I’m reconsidering the therapist, but it still might happen. I should tell you Janet is a little unstable. She told me the second night that she was in love with me. That freaked me out. My decision to see someone was a knee jerk reaction. During the drive I figured out that it’s her problem, not mine.” Thia informed me.

“Yes it is, and I’ll keep an eye on her. If she starts to bother you, let me know. I’ll take care of it. But right now she is the least of our worries. Just avoid her and I’ll try to keep her calm. She told me you were her first girlfriend, so it might just be the puppy love thing,” I said.

We were back in Janet’s car for the last leg of our trip when she brought it up. She had seen Thia and I talking while Mikah wandered around the grass area near the bathrooms.”

“So yes I told her I loved her. I didn’t do it well at all. I should have explained, I didn’t mean forever, move in together, and live happily ever after. I meant love like the two of you have,” she said.

“I don’t know what you can expect from her Janet. She is confused and she has to deal with me and Jon and neither of us is easy. She also has a stressful job. You should back off and let her make the next move, if she wants to do that,” I suggested.

We made it on down the road with no more mention of our love lives thank god. Janet filled me in on her personal life as a writer before she got the first assignment in Virginia with me. So was talented everyone said, but she had no purpose or drive. She was just drifting around through it all. Something I said or did turned her around. I personally thought the pendulum swung to far to the right.

She went from a sweet little liberal, to an ass kicking conservative. It was easier to think that she was unbalanced, as Thia said, than to think I had that kind of influence on anyone. It was actually a scary thought, with nothing funny in it at all. I had to wonder if Gray hadn’t been on the verge, and maybe I had pushed him over the edge. What a mess my life is, I thought.

We were close to home when a highway patrol officer pulled us over. No, I hadn’t expected it, but I wasn’t surprised either. He wanted to take us to the station and leave the car on the shoulder of the road.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.