Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 52

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

I postponed my noon walk till after Jess, the builder, finished my conversion. I checked it over and was very happy with the job. I had no idea what Janet would say and didn’t really care. She was spending most of her time at the at the community center anyway. None of the kids were a real workout for her, but she liked spending time with them. Before they got there after school, she spared with some grownup thug types. They knew nothing, but they wanted to beat her down. She liked the challenge. She came home with a couple of bruises, but nothing a couple of Tylenol and an ice bag wouldn’t take care of.

She went back to Durham for more of her things. Mostly clothing was in the boxes she brought into the car wash. Most of the junior executive clothes were gathering dust. She bought more and more of the almost slutty things for me. The kids at the Street Retreat liked to see her in those when she wasn’t in sweats. She also took to riding my three wheeled moped. I begged her to be careful. I often told her she didn’t need to wind up a cripple like me. I just hoped she listened.

“Hell that hip replacement doesn’t stop you from doing anything you want to do,” she said.

“You don’t know that,” I said. “Just be careful. Just because I do it, that doesn’t make it right for you.”

“Speaking of right for me. I want to meet Thia,” Janet said. “Before you say no, it’s bound to happen. You might as well try to control it. Who knows, it might be the beginning of a life long love affair.”

“That is another good reason to say no. Thea goes through people like a real dog,” I acknowledge. “And since I don’t know you, it is possible you could get badly hurt.”

“I’ll just keep it like I keep it with you. That is if it even happens. So how about tonight. I heard you agree to meet her for dinner. Just add me and we will go dutch.” She obviously was not going to give up till she met Thia.

“I’ll see how Thia feels about it,” I said. “That is all I’m going to promise.”

“That is enough. It’s up to me to make a good impression,” Janet said.

“Well you have your work cut out for you. I’ll have her bring Jon and Effie. Hell let’s invite Mica and you can take turns using me as a pinata.”

“That’s a hell of an idea. I might be the peacemaker, who brings them all together.” she suggested.

“I hope the fuck you are kidding,” I suggested. “Let’s keep it down to the three of us.”

“I knew that you would wimp out,” she said.

“There is a difference between wimping out, and acting sensible,” I said. “One day you will learn the difference.”

“Speaking of acting sensible, when are we going to go for Hammer,” she asked.

“Truth is I’ve decided to stay out of prison. A couple of well placed comments on super pimps face book and Hammer is history. After that we would just need to wait for the dead man’s contracts to happen.” I explained.

“The girl with the Betty Davis eyes, and the FBI badge won’t like that,” Janet said.

“Let’s see if you survive tonight before we plan anything else,” I said.

“Then you are really going through with it,” she asked.

“Sure, I don’t want you to tell Betty Davis I have no balls,” I replied.

“Are we going on the run again,” Janet asked.

“I’m not, but you should. For fifty grand you will be a kill on site, but hardly worth chasing you about. You can write from anywhere, remember,” I said.

“But without you, I have nothing to write about,” she said.

“Well, it’s a choice you have to make, I guess,” I said.

“There is another option. We could go on the lamb together,” Janet suggested.

I couldn’t help laughing. “Going on the lamb. I hope you don’t write that way,” I suggested. “How arcane.”

“I was channeling Humphrey Bogart,” Janet replied with a laugh.

“He was before my time even,” I said. “As was James Cagney.”

“So where are we going for dinner,” Janet asked.

“You pick it,” I suggested.

“In that case I’m going to research it.” I said. There were no five star restaurants in the Triboro area, but most of the highway motels had restaurants. They were staffed with cooks who wore uniforms anyway. That seemed to be pretty much the only difference, at least to me.

She and Thia had something in common already, other than an over the shoulder bag containing a firearm of some kind. To get the same thing, I had to wear cargo pants, or a shoulder holster which I despised.

Thia didn’t want to ride in the same car with Janet. They hadn’t really been introduced, so I could understand. It would have been a lot more clumsy at their first meal, if Janet was the Janet I had first met. Even more awkward, if Thia knew that I had slept with Janet. I mean Thia believed that I was a dog. But I had never added a room to the car wash for anyone else. Thia and Mica actually respected each other I’m sure. I liked to think they were both selfish. I mean it was alright for them to have other lovers, but not for me to have more than one lover. That made things awkward for us all.

Mica and Thia began talking to each other only after their kids became involved. God family relationships were so complicated. Still here I was driving to the Highway Hiatt’s in-house restaurant.

Janet and I met Thia and Jon there. I introduced everyone before I asked Jon, “So where is Effie?”

“Mom said it would be better if it was just the four of us. I think mom is afraid she is going to go into super bitch mode and embarrass herself,” he replied.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.