Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 32

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

We had our answers, but the FBI had different questions for sure. It had been too easy to get Grey’s attention. Which meant only one thing, he had already done his homework. It had all been too easy, I kept thinking.

“Joan, what if it hadn’t been a blackmail threat that caused the fight. What if it have been about something else. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that the Commissioner is about to have an accident or the worst case of suicide you ever saw. Just as soon as our information goes public,” I said.

“No,” she said. “My bet is we have that accident.”

“Come on let’s get out of here. We need to be in a public place where the accident story won’t fly.” I said it as I grabbed my tools and tossed my club in the SUV. We drove to a used car lot and parked the SUV by the office. I took one of the used cars for a test drive over a late lunch. I left a portrait of Benjamin Franklin, and the much more valuable SUV as a deposit.

Joan and I drove the junker out to a name brand Motel on the nearest highway. We went into their in house restaurant for a late lunch. Then we lingered over our meal. I didn’t even remember what it was I ate at the time, let alone now. Being scared out of your mind does that to some people.

Oh I knew for sure that no matter what I did the cops could make me disappear. I called Gray but there was no answer. I assumed he was on his way, so I left him a message to call me. It read simply ‘911 call rogers’.

“Tell me what makes you think this is not over,” Joan asked.

“I just can’t buy a man in the commissioner’s position committing such a violent murder over a couple of porno pictures. There just has to be something more,” I said to Joan. “I’m thinking it was also too easy to get Gray to agree to help. I have a feeling he had already been looking into it.”

“He did decide to come running without any persuasion,” Joan agreed. “So what else could it be?”

“Just about anything that can be kept on a phone these days. I’ll bet you jaybird was an accomplished pick pocket as well as a child abuser. He stole the commissar’s phone somehow. Then JayBird wanted him to ransom his phone maybe,” I suggested.

“The commissioner panicked and killed him, just because JayBird saw the information,” Joan suggested. “But I can’t see the commissioner panicking.”

“Nor can I, but he killed Jay in a rage. There was nothing surgical about the murder. It was just a rage killing, if I ever saw one.” I admitted.

“Maybe the commish is a psychopath,” Joan guessed.

I just don’t buy it, but maybe they could sell it to a jury, but only if the commissar is dead,” I said. ‘We need to let the FBI do this. They can offer him protection. That is if he has anything to say.”

“We should know pretty soon,” Joan said. “It’s three o’clock.”

My phone rang. “Gray you need to pick up the Commissioner on the way into town. It’s for his own protection right now. Remember how our last investigation ended?” I asked.

“Yeah, but this isn’t the Russian mafia,” Gray said.

“Gray we are learning as we go here,” I said. “Just take him into custody for questioning. You guys do that slight of hand thing all the time.”

“Yeah, but it’s our idea. We have weeks to plan it not fifteen minutes,” Gray said. “But I’ll try. Meantime keep your head down.”

“You got it,” I said. “We are going to go back to the motel, so keep an ear out for the police radio.”

We left the waitress a nice tip, then headed out to the used car lot. I pulled in and dropped Joan at the SUV, then parked the sedan in front of the small office.

After I recovered the car keys I rode with Joan to the Motel. I made sure the manager kept an eye out for cops, just in case. I also put my go cam outside the room facing into the parking lot. I sent Thia an email telling her the cam was on. Again it was all just in case. I honestly didn’t expect any fall out on us so soon. It usually took a day or two after the decision was make for it to happen. Of course there was always the exception.

Once the FBI presence was well known, the threat to Joan and I would drop to almost nothing. All we had to do was make it through the night, I thought.

When I got inside the room I spoke to Joan. “From now on, It might be a good idea if you had a bout of paranoia,” I suggested.

“Do I get one of those?” she asked while staring at the two revolvers I had just checked.

“Not till you learn to shoot,” I said.

“Then, I’ll learn, if we make it back,” she replied

“Good idea everyone should know how to defend themselves. It’s a dangerous world out here,” I admitted.

“Will you teach me how to use the baton?” she asked.

“Before we start the next research project,” I said. “Assuming there will be another.

“There will be, unless you feel you are too old,” she smiled as she said it.

“I only feel that way while trying to teach you how to survive out here,” I returned her smile.

Nothing happened until 6:20PM. I know because my computer was hooked to the motels half ass WIFI. At that time Gray knocked on the door.

“Hello Gray, this is Joan,” I said pointing to her.

“She is much prettier than you suggested to me. Were you afraid I would take her away?” he asked.

“Of course, all the girls fall for you. They don’t know you are gay,” I said.

“So you are the one spreading that rumor,” he said with a laugh. “Joan, I’m not gay.”

“I didn’t think so,” she said. “You had that wolfish look when you saw me for the first time.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.