Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

It was that same night when Gray showed up at my door with a digital recording from the Captain’s office bug. He played it for me without any commentary at all. The Captain made a call to the Kalashnikov brothers.

“Yonnie, that fucking redneck mother fucker is back up here looking for a connection between us.

He needs to go away.

This time no warnings.

Yes he blew up my car. I might have been in that thing.

What do you mean, If he wanted me dead I’d be dead. The man is a redneck cop, not a soldier.

Just do it Yonnie

“Can we trace that call to Yonnie?” I asked.

“We already have,” Gray said. “That bug is so sensitive, and our analyst so good, he can hear a mouse fart and tell you what the mouse’s last meal was.”

“Well that is impressive,” I said.

“According to the assistant director, we need to tie Yonnie to an attempt on your life,” Gray said.

“So we don’t need to abduct anyone after all,” I said.

‘No, you just need to be bait. We want to set an ambush and have you be the bait. That call tells us it’s coming, so we set a trap for them, Gray said.

“I like my plan better. Offense is always better than defense,” I said. “Why don’t we attack them first. Give them a little incentive to come at us too soon. If it’s a war with me, they thing they are in they wont come without enough intelligence collected first. We just need them to make the effort not be successful. The less time they think they have to prepare, the less successful they will be.”

“We can’t depend on being that lucky again,” Gray demanded.

“We just need it one more time,” I suggested with a laugh. “I have a plan.”

“Of course you do,” Gray moaned.

A couple of hour’s later, the call came in from the surveillance crew. After the call Gray asked, “What about Tonya?”

“Have your surveillance crew come sit on the motel till we get back,” I demanded. Gray nodded. The crew arrived and Grey and I left in his company car. We chose not to call in back up, so we were flying solo.

We parked a block away and walked quietly up to the convenience mart. It was a small one, and we already had our surveillance photos to plan the approach. We needed to take out the two outside guards at the same time, more or less. It would have been easiest with a, 22mag round fired from a sound suppressed pistol. That wasn’t going to happen, so I clicked my radio on and off twice then slipped up on the sleeping guard.

I shot him but it was with a veterinary tranquilizer. The dosage was set for a small horse. If it happened to kill him, sorry about that. I left him slumped behind a brick wall in the front end of the building. It wouldn’t be ideal for him, but it should be safe enough.

Gray had insisted that he light the second pipe bomb. I was more than happy for him to do it. A co-conspirator was better for me, than a government witness. I stood behind a trash can bin with a bean bag shotgun courtesy of the FBI. I also had the .22 mag in case it got real. It probably wouldn’t kill anyone, but it might make then wish they were dead.

Gray shouted, “fire in the hole.” He obviously then threw the PVC pipe bomb inside at that moment. I slowly counted to ten, Then watched the glass behind the plywood cover break, as the plywood bulged and broke out of the window’s frame. I stood ready to shotgun anyone who came out. I waited for the blast to clear away then I rushed in as fast as my bad hip would allow. I saw a thug getting to his feet so I hit him with a blast from the rubber bullet shotgun. I heard a couple of more shotgun blast from outside the rear door.

“Coming in,” Gray shouted. “I got a guard down and these two coming out the back. There is enough evidence to arrest them and I’m having the state police come take them to a different county’s jail.”

“I would have preferred my safe house with just you and I questioning them. Saving a body part is a much bigger incentive to cooperate than a few years off his sentence,” I demanded.

“We are going with state plainclothes officers for the arrest. The one out front we are going to ‘miss’ when we take them in.” Gray said. “No crime scene tape on this one, just a quick processing for evidence. We can always come back later if we need to.”

“At least pose the bodies inside,” I said. “I’m sure you have a phone number for Yonnie, we can send him the fake pictures. Maybe even some fake blood. If you don’t have a photo shop expert, I can find one.”

“I got this,” he said.

Gray kept the traffic down by having the experts park a block away and hike in to the crime scene. Nothing with a flashing light or siren was allowed during the half hour that it took for us to finish. I sent the pictures to Yonnie’s phone from the Motel. It wasn’t perfect, but I thought it was a good operation so far. Grey even agreed with me.

After all the paperwork we found at the convenience store, the FBI got a warrant to tap the phones of the one brother who wasn’t in custody. He was burning up his burner trying to reach his brother’s phone. The FBI was in possession of the phone. The FBI quickly got a back trace on the burner for even more records. It was a dead bang successful mission that didn’t stop giving all night and most of the next day.

The Captain had access to a picture of Gray dropping me off, so having one thug with me was an acceptable risk in our attempt to capture or kill Yonnie and the last of his crew. I expected them all to come after us. We just had to figure a way to lead his crew to the killing field.

“Everybody knows I walk in the mornings. I found that park with the Greenway trail yesterday. I suggest we set the ambush there. The downside is that it will be a war of hand guns, if you want to stay hidden in plan sight. You can use a park ranger’s car to patrol the parking lot. The city cops can ride around the perimeter roads to discourage their use. They are all city streets, so they shouldn’t be surprised by a cop or two,” I suggested.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.