Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

When I awoke with murder on my mind, it was Wednesday morning at 6AM. No I did not have my mind set on the murder of the Kalashnikov brothers. However I would not remove it from the things which were possible either. If I got the opportunity those two muthers were as good as dead on arrival.

On my way out the door for my urban hike, I auto dialed Gray’s number on my open phone. ‘Hey we are going to be leaving for Richmond about noon today. Pack for about a week. Be at the car wash by noon or meet me up there’ was the message I left.

I’m even bringing you a girlfriend, I mumbled after I cut the connection. I walked quickly, well it was quickly for me in those days, so I made the mile and three quarters in about an hour. My plan was always to walk at least an hour every morning and again in the evening.

I made it home in time for a shower. Then of course it was dress in my traveling rags, before I packed my bag for the trip. Taking a few extra changes of underwear and all my clean short sleeve sweat shirts, and even a couple of long sleeve ones. Two extra pairs of jeans were on top of the five pvc pipe bombs.

The PVC packed less punch than a steel pipe bomb would, but I had specified them. I wanted PVC for the smaller explosion with less damage. The idea was to take down a door, or send a message. It was my hope and plan not to kill innocent people, just to get everyone’s attention. During my test of the sample I determined at the recommended twenty yards it was possible to get stung by some plastic shrapnel. It would sting and break the skin, but it would be a fluke if there was any significant bodily damage.

Everything was packed and ready to go by nine. I decided to take the Geo to the diner for a late breakfast. I parked near the front door for an easy escape. I was already in quick get away mode. The job mindset had taken over. Of course I wasn’t going to get in any high speed chases in the Geo. It was a strictly an a to b vehicle.

I still had an hour to kill after my eggs and hash brown potatoes breakfast. Before I left the parking lot, I called Thia to tell her goodbye, and not to expecting to hear from me regularly for a week or so.

“This trip is going to end your feud with the Kalashnikov brothers I assume?” she asked.

“I hope so,” I replied.

“Good, I don’t like having to worry about you. Remember you are an old man,” she said.

“I finished her thought, “With nothing much to lose.”

“Hell no, but I sure as hell have a lot to lose,” she replied while sniffling.

“Okay, see you in a couple of weeks, if not before.” I said and quickly killed the connection.

I drank a lot of coffee while I waited for both or either of the others to arrive. About half past eleven I got a call from Gray. The short version of it was, he was going to meet me in Richmond. The plan was I would call his open phone with the motel’s address, then we would switch to the dark phones. After that it was wait for word from Tanya. While I waited, I thought how glad I was that I at least serviced the Geo, just in case.

As usually happens when you prepare for the worst case scenario, it doesn’t happen. In other words Tanya showed up. She had the research expense account credit card for me. I checked the account balance before I left my computer connection to the net. I found that the card had 50k in the account as promised by the Shovel.

So this time I had all the problems on my head. I didn’t mind since I wouldn’t have to answer to anyone until it was over.

The drive to Richmond should have taken just over three hours. Since we stopped for gas along the way, it was almost four when we hit town. We stopped in a convenience for the gas just outside Richmond. The clerk was about 15 years old, well not really, but she looked that old to me. She did however know the name of a downtown diner in Richmond. It was called Lucy’s restaurant. When we got there is was more upscale than I would have liked, but we had to eat somewhere that first afternoon.

Tonya and I ordered dinner from their menu. The place tried to be a modern take on an old fashioned diner, but they couldn’t pull it off. I ended up with a hamburger steak and mashed potatoes. It was a good choice since they couldn’t fuck it up.

I got the name of one low cost motel off the beaten track from the convenience store clerk, and another one from the waitress at Lucy’s diner. In the end I checked us into one we passed along the way to the Henrico County jail. I had no intention of visiting the jail, I was however thinking that it would be far enough out of Richmond to be a good base of operations. Not to mention bad guys tended to avoid Jails. The jail was on Parham Road, but the motel was on Stapels Mill Rd.

The motel was just a concrete block warehouse for out of town workers and people like me. Tonya didn’t approve of my choice, but I didn’t care. Before I checked in, I worked out a deal with the owner/desk clerk. The agreement was that he would bill the credit card for three rooms, at full price, then he would rebate me for the third room in cash. The rooms usually rented for less than he charged the card, so we both made a few extra bucks. Tonya and Gray didn’t need to know all the details of my plans.

The call came in from Gray at eight. He was in Richmond and looking for us. I gave him directions, then told him to get rid of his open phone. After Gray’s call I concealed my phone in the very bottom of my back pack. Even then I stored it inside a box Hershey bars.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.