Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

The plan was simple. I waited until I had visual of the brother going into the apartment. Then I would set up on the apartment until he came out. When he did I would kill him, and it would be over. I watched the drone footage until he showed up. I watched until the driver went upstairs and came back with the all clear. Big brother went up the stairs to have his whistle blown.

I really hoped that big brother didn’t think he was in love. A quick roll in the hay would be best for everyone. Well at least it would be best for me. The first thing that went wrong was I underestimated the effect the December 29th over night cold would have on me. I was miserable in the thirty degree weather. Even if I was out in it for only half an hour.

It was after midnight when the driver left the warm car to climb the stairs in order to escort his boss safely downstairs. While he climbed the stair, I moved into the shadows by the stairs. I saw the two of them reach the halfway point on the stairs. First the heavy load #4 duck shot hit the driver in the face. His own mother wouldn’t be sure it was him in the morning. Then quickly I shot the big brother two times. Once in the chest and then again in the head.

I paused long enough to pick up the three empty 12 gauge shells. Then I did an about face and walked to the big brother’s very large SUV. The driver had left the engine running, so I drove it away. I drove the SUV away and into the parking lot of an office building near by. I found the drone where I had landed it there, loaded it into the SUV and drove away. Even though the parking lot was empty, I drove carefully away. There was no one to stop me. Five minutes later I pulled it into the side parking lot, built for the overflow of traffic of a strip mall. I got out of the SUV quickly, field stripped the twelve gauge and loaded it into a large black back pack. Then with the Shotgun unrecognizable I walked away.

By 2AM I was walking on a dark residential street, when another SUV pulled up beside me. I worked myself into it. At that point I hoped we were pretty much home free. Thea dropped me two blocks from the car wash in the dark around 3AM. I was just a plain looking shadow by the time I entered my back yard from the residential side street.

I didn’t have any blood on me, and I felt like it was a good hit. I did not throw away any of the clothes I wore that night.

Rose met me at the back door. “Did everything work out,” she asked,

“Everything was fine,” I said that as I sat at my small work bench in the shop. I carefully cleaned the shotgun. The cops would not have an extractor mark on a shell casing to compare to my shotgun. Nor would they have a firing pin impression to compare. That was simply because I took the time to carry the empty shells away. Even if a homeowner caught my image on his security camera, I was nothing but a man in black. I hoped they labeled me the Johnny Cash killer. It seemed only fitting.

One of the unexpected benefits of the hit was that when the network fell apart, and the new boss took over, he decided to send the word that Tiny Tim’s protection had ended. The next day someone castrated Timmy. He bled out, since the person doing it used a shiv and didn’t bother to report the ‘accident’ in the laundry.

Of course my friend the sergeant from the state police showed up to lead the investigation. I was absolutely sure there was no forensics at all. If they found anything at all, they would false leads. Things he or someone else left behind at the scene. The townhouse apartment was owned by big brother so there might well be cameras around. Even so the film would have a large man dressed in black.

The shooting had all the earmarks of a professional hit. I expected the instructions for paying The Geek to arrive in the email at any moment. It never happened. I hoped that it was because he didn’t want to profit from the sleaze bag’s misfortune, but it was more likely that he didn’t want to do business with me while the cops were looking at me. I couldn’t blame him at all.

Rose and I went about our business while we waited for the cops to show up. The cops waited for all the evidence to work its way down the chain of command. When it finally reached the Sergeant of the State Police, they came to see me.

Just in case the local cops had someone following us. Since the night of the shooting, Rose and I were on the say nothing protocol. In the car wash it was as if it never happened. Our first interview took place there.

When we showed up after the morning’s pickup and deliveries, the Sergeant chick, Thea’s husband, and a state police trooper were all waiting at the door. I saw the three cars first.

“Remember, I want my lawyer before I talk to you,” I reminded Rose.

“Good morning Sarge what can we do for you,” I said to Ray, Thia’s husband.

“We need to talk to the two of you,” The SPD chick said.

“Well come in, we are here to have a sandwich before we leave for the afternoon’s deliveries,” I said.

“We were hoping you would come down to the station,” The SPD Sergeant chick said.”

“No can do, you are going to have to arrest us, or make an appointment with our lawyer. It would be best after 5PM,” I said.

“Did you kill Martin, Tim’s big brother,” she asked.

“Is he really dead?” I asked. “I read the story on line, but you know how unreliable the internet is. For the record, I did not kill him.”

“Where were you Thursday night at midnight?” Sergeant chick asked.

“Home, I’m sure we were probably watching TV. We don’t get out much now that we don’t date anymore,” I said.

“Do you still have the Mossburg twelve gauge?” She asked next.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.