Mr. Rogers' Research
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

It was a Tuesday just after Mica and I finished the rewrite of the script for season two of the Murder TV show, when Jenny pulled up in front of my car wash. I had been expecting her since she called for exact directions to my place. She called from downtown, so the drive took only a couple of minutes.

I had been packed since an hour after the phone call from Louis. My first impression of Jenny was young, and not very attractive. I thought everyone in show business had to be attractive, but Jenny might be the exception, or maybe there was no rule. After all they had bought the script from Alyson and she was over sixty five.

Jenny was about fifty pounds over weight with most of it in her butt. She would have had and attractive body without the giant sized ass. Her breasts were about right for her basic frame, but not for that ass. She noticed me noticing her, but neither of us commented.

She had driven one of the company cars from Wilmington, and according to her, she had been issued a company credit card.

“Since I will have all the expenses placed on the company car, you shouldn’t have any out of pocket business expenses at all. If you do just keep the receipts,” she insisted.

“So you are in the accounting department?” I asked.

“Please don’t give me a hard time Mr. Rogers. Those were just my instructions. Unlike you, I am an employee and answerable for all these details.” she explained.

“Alright then stop at the downtown diner. It’s on the left ahead. I think the sign says Marty’s or something like that.” I left her to find it herself while I searched in my small black knapsack for the very large thermos.

When she stopped the car, I asked, “Are you hungry?”

“No, but I would like a bottle of water,” she said.

“Then you better come in to flash you magic credit card,” I suggested.

“Hey there Maurice would you fill this thing with your oldest coffee,” I said. Then I added. “This chic would like a bottle of designer water.”

Maurice gave her a long look then said, “The water is two bucks, and the coffee was just going to get tossed, so it’s a dollar.”

“Pay the man Jenny and leave him a big tip,” I said. “For future reference, I’m a big tipper.”

“Duly noted,” she said sarcastically. It was nice to see that she could hold her own.

I let her and the talking robot get her to the highway and heading west on her own.

“Do you have an information packet for me. I get bored just riding,” I suggested to her.

“I would rather wait until I can concentrate,” Jenny said in her twenty something squeaky voice.

“I wasn’t planning to converse with you. I was planning to read the packet. So how about it? Would that be breaking some rule?” I asked.

“I’ll pull in at the next rest stop,” she said.

“No, take the next exit. You can find it and get right back on the road,” I explained.

“Of course,” she said, but she wasn’t at all happy about it.

When she stopped at a Kelly service center and convenience store, we were only a few miles out of the Triboro area. Since I had a full pot of fairly hot coffee, I didn’t leave the car. Instead I waited for Jenny to bring me the file.

The big mystery turned out to be that a family of four had been slaughtered in their home outside the small town of Woodbury Tn. They were all killed by gunfire, but there was no other information available. The crime itself was only ten days old, so no arrests had been made. The cops were working on something I was sure. I just wasn’t sure what the leads were.

“Cops always play their case close to the vest. They don’t want the bad guys to know how close they are, or how far away they are,” I mumbled under my breath.

“That is a given,” Jenny said. “In every cop show they refuse to give up their information.”

“True but you want to know what they know, so we make some educated guesses. Way over ninety percent of murder victims know their killers. A high percentage are actually related either by blood or marriage. This was a family annihilation, so the odds say we look at the family members. The ones who are still living first, then spread out to friends and strangers.”

I rang up my geek. ‘Hello there, it’s Ed Rogers how is my credit?” I asked.

“Not worth a damn, but what do you want,” he asked.

I gave him the out line of the crime and the names. “Find me the surviving family, and the names of any friends mentioned by the local press. I would really like to have the name of the motel where the press stayed while they were covering the case. That is, if anyone stayed there. call me, I’m on my way there now.”

“Who was that?” she asked.

“I have no idea. When he gets the information, he will have us do something for him. Usually it’s to buy something on Ebay or an Amazon gift card using my paypal account. So get ready to part with some money,” I explained. “Just forget about the details. If you burn my source, I will make sure you never work in this town again, period.”

“I understand,” Jenny admitted.

Jenny hadn’t noticed that I used a different phone for that call. I didn’t bother to explain it to her. As of that moment she did not have a need to know.

“So you want to know who the surviving family is. We could have done that from home and saved the trip.” Jenny said.

“The connections are like a spider’s web. Each line will lead you to at least one more.” I said.

“I googled the town on my computer last night. All the hotels are out of town. The town itself is in the Nashville business zone, so they could have stayed anywhere.” Jenny guessed.

“They stayed in a local motel. One with a bar in the parking lot,” I said.

“How do you know that?” She asked.

“It’s where we are going to stay,” I said. “The locals go to a place like that. That is just in case they get lucky, or if they are meeting the boss’s wife for a quickie.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.