Shield - Cover

Shield

Copyright© 2018 by Qickless

Chapter 6: Dissent

A week passed, and this time I was prepared for Uncha. I had even rehearsed the speech. This wouldn’t be like the ocassions before where she had completely ignored me and my questions. I had a plan of attack. A cogent set of arguments where she’d have to concede to my wishes.

It worked in my head. In real life, after I had reeled off my spiel, she spoke in that low monotone of hers that I had grown intensely irritated of. “We shall leave tomorrow by carriage to Gershon. The healer tells me you are now well enough to travel, and you have the prann back too. I shall instruct you on the way.”

This was beyond ridiculous, and was time it stopped.

“No” I said firmly to her retreating back and that made her pause. She turned and I could see the first signs of spirit in her eyes.

“What did you say?” she asked.

“I refuse.” I said, just as firmly. “I have a letter of writ to the Sheild station at Konthriput, and I intend to become a Shield, an honorable profession. You have no warrant under law or custom to ask me to change my plans or disobey my instructions. You are neither my superior, nor one of the Blessed who I have to obey. You are merely of that family. I refuse unless you give me more valid reasons, as is my right.”

“You stupid fool,” she hissed. “Do you know what I’ve given you?”

“I do,” I said, “and I appreciate the gift...”

“The gift!” Her voice was now louder, approximating a screech, and suddenly I realized I had no plan for this conversation any longer.

“The necklace is given but once a decade in the whole empire, you ri-di-cu-lous ass!” she spelt out. “And now, because of...” and she stopped abruptly.

“You have to come with me. Once my father finds out about this, he will be furious.”

“I do not have to do anything.” When pushed, I could be adamant and stubborn. One of my numerous faults.

“But I will come with you,” I said, “after I report to the station at Konthriput. Duty comes first. There you can argue your case with the Shield Instructor, and let him know how your priorities stand. If he orders me to accompany you, I shall. And Gershon isn’t far. Send word to your father. Ask him to send official orders. And then I shall gladly come with you.”

“Until then, we’ll proceed to Konthriput by carriage. You can accompany me if you wish.” And then I walked out, and closed the conversation.


The next day, we set out to Konthriput in sullen silence. I was beyond irritated. I had my whole life fleshed out: a bodyguard to minor officials first, then perhaps kings, and my hope and dream: into the elite Shield guard for the Emperor. And a glorious honorable death. And now, all dashed by this nuisance of a girl. With her ruddy gift.

What is a prann stone for anyway? I had touched it several times since and it gave off a comforting aura that spoke of a strong prann source. But nothing else. The stories about a prann stone were numerous: that it could make the bearer immortal (patently false), that it could lend its strength to a fighter (possibly true), and several others, but how could I separate fact from fiction? There was one thing about a prann stone that was universally true. It could only be given to another with a willing heart, and could never be taken via force or coercion. I was grateful to Uncha, of course, but it was so difficult to tell her that.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.