The Ark Part 2 - Cover

The Ark Part 2

Copyright© 2018 by REP

Chapter 5

“Delta 3, Delta 1. I need your location and status. Over.”

“Delta 1, Delta 3. I’m setup at the most southern U-Haul Rental. First Squad is at the alternate RV site and they have enough RVs to fill the Colonel’s order and are refueling the vehicles now. Second and Third Squad are with me getting the U-Haul rental trucks ready to move. We should have all of our vehicles ready to go in twenty minutes. Out.”

Fifteen minutes later, “Delta 3, Delta 3-1. Over.”

“Go, Delta 3-1. Over.”

“We have the five RVs fueled and ready to go, Delta 3. We will be ready to head to the assembly point in five minutes. Out.”

“Delta 1, Delta 3. Delta 3-1 will shortly depart his location headed to the assembly point with the RVs. We should be ready to leave with the U-Hauls in ten minutes. Over.”

“Roger, Delta 3. I will leave for the assembly point once I talk with Delta 2. Delta 1 out.”


“Bravo 1, Ark 3. Over.”

“Go, Ark 3. Over.”

“Be advised the rest of Alpha Company is enroute to your location. They are moving the first load of our deceased’s bodies to the mass grave. Out.”

“Mike here, Jon. Alpha Company is on its way to the Freight Yard with the first load of bodies. Everything considered, I doubt they will finish before sunset tomorrow. The graveside service is scheduled for the day after that at 1000. Is that time still okay?”

“Ten in the morning is still fine with me, Mike. Let me know if the people moving the bodies need additional time and we can delay the service. I just wish the weather was better. Graveside ceremonies in wet weather seem far more dismal than when the sun is out.”

“Yeah, and I’ve been to too many of them, Jon. I made the arrangements to get Linda and her film crew to the gravesite in time for them to set up their cameras. There will be a canopy set up to shield them from the rain and chairs for them to rest in while waiting for things to start.

“Linda has another four or five weeks to go before she is due to deliver, if I recall correctly. Right, Jon?”

“Right, its four weeks. Lately, I’ve been getting the down count at nights. I clearly recall, Only four more weeks to go and that started two nights ago. So let’s call it three weeks and five days to her predicted delivery date.”

“I’ll see they are well cared for, Jon. I didn’t realize Linda’s due date was that close. When is May due?”

“She hasn’t started her countdown yet, Mike, so I think it’s around eight weeks from now.”

“Betty and Adelle have been talking about adding two more ladies to our household, Jon. Adelle is in her late twenties and ready to get pregnant again. Adelle wants to wait until next year to add more Bond Mates, but Betty is insistent that I find two late-teen ladies to add to our household now and that I should knock them up right away. She said we need to do our part in repopulating the world. I suspect she will shortly be talking about getting pregnant again. Clara and Sharna’s attitudes must have worn off on her.

“Yeah, I’ve been getting that We Need Another Bond Mate vibe from Clara. I tried to divert Clara by reminding her that we had just added Cindy and Sara to the Bond Group, but I don’t think it will work. The more Bond Mates we add, the more pregnant women I have in the house. I’m not complaining mind you, but the last time I can recall not having a pregnant woman in the house was more than ten years ago. I think you’ll be up to your armpits in Bond Mates and diapers in a year, Mike, just like me.”

“One more thing before I let you go, Jon. Captain Johnson asked about getting with Sam and creating a Seabee unit for Division 3. Captain Charles likes the idea and wants a Seabee unit for Division 2 also. What do you think?”

“Sounds good to me, but I haven’t been following their unit development that closely. Carl’s Division 1 has been the center of my focus. What have our Division 2 and 3 commanders been doing since lockdown?

“If you recall, Tom Charles was the commander of Seal Group 1, which was comprised of four Seal Teams. From what I’ve learned, the Navy’s Seal Teams were similar to Ranger units, but smaller and trained for deployment from naval vessels. Phil Johnson was the commander of Group 3, which was different from Tom’s people. He had two Special Delivery Vehicle Teams, and from what I understand, an SDVT is a regular Seal Team combined with a Special Delivery Vehicle Platoon. The Delivery Vehicle Platoons are trained to use small undersea vessels to perform their duties; you and I would call them mini-subs. Anyway, the two of them split their assets and formed two identical Divisions with each Division having two regular Seal Teams and a third Seal Team with a Special Delivery Vehicle Platoon.”

“That’s fine, Mike, but how are we going to use them?”

“I’m not certain, Jon. Before lockdown, my thought was missions along our coastline. However, the tsunamis made that thought worthless, at least until we get people moving back into the coastal areas. You would have to talk with Tom and Phil, but I think we will need to obtain a few oceangoing boats to use their people effectively. If we come across any boats that the tsunamis beached inland without damaging them, maybe we can get the boats back into the water.”

“Umm ... Mike, do you see any threat to the Hydroelectric Facility where we might be able to use them?”

“No, I can’t think of any form of threat where they would be useful.”

“That’s okay, Mike. I recall that we stored a good bit of their equipment near the lake. It would be a good idea for them to head out that way and check on the status of their stuff. However, let’s give Captain Maroun’s people enough time to take control of the Hydroelectric Facility and the surrounding area. If I recall, we’re planning to deploy Divisions 2 and 3 to that area during Stage 7, and they can work out of his headquarters. In the meantime, we will continue with our plan to use them to man the blockade guard posts and support our other efforts.”

“Okay, Jon, I’ll let Tom and Phil know what we discussed. I’ve got to go, Jon. Carl’s indicating there’s radio traffic I need to be aware of.”


“Delta 3, Delta 3-1. We staged the RVs at the assembly point. Over.”

“Affirmative, Delta 3-1. Delta 1 is passing my location now, so he should be joining you shortly and I’ll be right behind him in a couple of minutes. I want to consult with Delta 1, so wait for me before starting to collect any trucks. Out.”

Fifteen minutes later, Lieutenant Mel Waylon said to Captain Victor Russel, “Sir, with your permission, I am going to leave all of my current vehicle drivers here with you when my people and I go looking for pickups. Our carts will each need a driver and the gun carts also need someone on the M240s. If I and the remainder of my Platoon, mechanics, and Negotiators each bring back a pickup truck, then everyone associated with my Platoon will be driving a vehicle back to the Freight Yard. If Lieutenant Chance and his people are each driving a vehicle, then we should have almost all of the pickups that we have been tasked to bring back.”

Captain Russel said, “That sounds like a good idea to me, Lieutenant. However, I and my support people can also drive vehicles. So take five of your current drivers and go get us some more pickups.”

“Yes, Sir!”

“Delta 2, Delta 1. Over.

“Go, Delta 1. Over”

“Make sure you and all of your people including the mechanics and Negotiators are driving pickups when you get to the assembly point. Out.”

An hour later, “Delta 1, Delta 2. Over.”

“Go Delta 2. Over.”

“We have all of the vehicles we can manage and are heading for the assembly point. Out.”

A bit more than an hour later, “Delta 1, Delta 3. Over.”

“Go Delta 3. Over.”

“We all have pickups and will be at the assembly point in five minutes. Out.”

Twenty minutes later the three officers are standing off to the side while Delta Company is preparing to convoy the vehicles back to the Freight Yard.

Captain Russel said, “You both did a good job. When we get back to the Freight Yard, Sam’s people will show us where they want us to park the vehicles. Just follow their directions.

“After we get back, we’re to relieve Bravo Company. According to the plan, we will have guard duty for the rest of the day and we deploy tomorrow.

“Frank, once everyone one is parked, give your people a twenty-minute break and then your First and Second Squads are to relieve Bravo Company’s guards. Your Third Squad and Mel’s First Squad will relieve First and Second Squads. Mel, your Second and Third Squads will relieve them. We will follow that rotation until we are relieved. Sam’s people should have all the guard shacks in place by now, so change out the guard details at two-hour intervals, for now.

“As you know, in addition to guard duty, Bravo Company has been preparing to deploy to the Hydroelectric Facility. Sam’s people will be configuring some of the pickup trucks we bring back with pedestal-mounted M240 Bravos. Our job will be to help Bravo Company deploy as soon as possible, so I will check with Sam’s people to see if they need help. If so, I will be having you provide a few of your Second or Third Squad people, Mel.

“Any questions, gentlemen?”

With no questions, the three officers head to the trucks they will be driving. Captain Russel gives the lead gun cart the signal to move out and climbs into the driver’s seat of his vehicle. It has been a long time since he has had to drive himself while on duty.

“Ark 3, Delta 1. Over.”

“Go Delta 1. Over.”

“We are enroute to the Freight Yard. Out.

Twenty-five minutes later, “Ark 3, Delta 1 over.”

“Go Delta 1.”

“We are just pulling into the Freight Yard. Out.”

One of Sam’s people directed the final pickup truck to its parking location. While the vehicles have been pulling into the Freight Yard and parking, the rest of Sam’s people worked on the first six pickup trucks that arrived. Another twenty minutes and all six trucks are converted into gun trucks. Captain Russel took one look at the people working on the pickups and signaled his two officers to come with him to meet with Captain Maroun and his officers in the passenger loading area.

Captain Russel said, “Afternoon, Ahmed.”

“Afternoon, Vic. How did everything go?”

“Everything went fine; but, it did take a little longer than I thought it would. My people are taking a short break and then we will relieve your people.”

“No problem, Vic. We will be taking six gun trucks and twenty pickups with us. Except for the Squads on guard duty, my people are loading our twenty pickups with our ammo, baggage, and supplies. It will be almost another hour before we are ready to leave.”

Vic said, “You will have to have one of your Lieutenants show Frank where the guard posts are located, when it is time to relieve you. I assume Sam’s people have the guard shacks put up.”

“Yeah, they started doing that about the time you deployed to Auburn. Since then, my guard shifts have been doing an hour on and two hours off. Although they have been busy helping Sam’s people part of that two-hour period. Sam’s people finished installing motion sensors along the fence line about two hours ago, and Aaron’s people have tested them. So far, there seems to be full coverage from the fence line out to about fifty feet.”

“Vic, since the sensors are in place, you may want to check with the Colonel about cutting the number of people per guard post back to two people. That way you could have one Platoon on duty at the Freight Yard and your off duty Platoon could return to the barracks for showers, hot meals, and some bunk time.”

“That’s a good idea, Aaron, thanks. However, you forgot Delta is deploying tomorrow, so this guard detail will be a short-term thing for us. Fox Company will be relieving us later this evening.”

“Yeah, I guess my mind’s been elsewhere, and I forgot that. Things have been busy here for my people, Vic, but I’ve had a lot of time to just think about things. Once I thought out everything I could think of regarding us deploying to the dam, my mind wandered off to other things.”


“Hello, Jon Reppa here.”

“Jon, this is Mike. Delta Company is back with the first lot of the vehicles we need for the deployments. Captain Charles has Seal Team 1 at the Freight Yard and they will go out and bring back more pickup trucks. Once Delta Company has a break, they will relieve Bravo, so Bravo can use the pickups Delta Company collected to deploy to the dam. I let Tom know that Seal Team 1 will be our permanent vehicle scavengers until we have enough vehicles to support our activities in Auburn.

“In conjunction with that, Tom’s people are to support Leah’s Scavenger Teams. Tom and Phil will deploy Seal Teams 2, 3, 5, and 6 after Companies A, C, D, and E have deployed and are established at the Survivor Collection Center locations. For now, I’m having Fox Company and Phil’s Seal Team 4 held back as Freight Yard guards and a reserve force. I’ll use them to form four Quick Reaction Forces, and setup a rotating eight-hour shift schedule of one on and three off to provide twenty-four hour coverage.”

“Good, Mike. It sounds like we’re on schedule.”


Captain Maroun watched as another train made its way out of the tunnel and came to a halt in the Freight Yard. The train halted just short of the construction crew that is working to repair the damaged track. A small group of people disembarked from the train wearing raingear and respirators, and seeing Captain Maroun, they headed to where he was standing.

Seeing Samantha Reppa amongst the group, Captain Maroun smiled and said, “Morning, Sam. It’s nice to see you again. I assume these are the Negotiators, Hydroelectric experts, and Line Crews we discussed.”

With a smile, she said, “Yes, Ahmed. They’re all here and now they’re all yours.”

After introductions were made, Captain Maroun turned to his new group of people, while Samantha returned to the train to get out of the rain, and he said, “My officers are waiting for us in the passenger loading area. Let’s join them there, so we can discuss what will be happening for the rest of the day.”

As they entered the passenger area, Ahmed saw Lieutenants Jackson and Denton, and he motioned to them to join him.

“Sydney, this is my First Platoon’s Leader, Lieutenant Christopher Jackson. He will be in charge of the Platoon that will escort you to the Hydroelectric Facility. Chris, Sydney Paltran. Sydney is in charge of the people who will be maintaining the Hydroelectric Facility.”

Turning to the head of the Line Crews, Ahmed said, “Max, this is my Second Platoon’s Leader, Lieutenant Aaron Denton. He and his men will be escorting you and your Line Crews on their inspection of the transmission lines and power substations. Aaron, Max Hemple. He’s the crew chief of our two Line Crews.

Turning to the four Negotiators, he said, “Welcome to Bravo Company. Mistress Turner, you and one of your people will be going to the dam with me and Lieutenant Jackson and the remaining two Negotiators will be going with Lieutenant Denton. Split up and join your respective groups.

Captain Maroun waited for ten minutes so everyone could introduce themselves and talk for a few moments, and then he began his pre-deployment briefing.

“Lieutenant Jackson, you and I will take three gun trucks and ten pickups and proceed south on Auburn-Folsom Road to the Hydroelectric Facility. When we arrive, your people will search the facility to determine if there are survivors present and to ensure there are no hazards. Once the search is complete, Sydney’s people will be in charge of the facility. Your Platoon will establish a defensive perimeter around the facility and maintain that perimeter until Lieutenant Denton’s Platoon arrives. We are deploying to the Folsom area for a long-term assignment, and I will establish our Company Headquarters in one of the buildings near the facility.

“Lieutenant Denton, you will take three gun trucks and ten pickups and proceed to the Wise power substation. Your platoon will check the substation for survivors and hazards, and then establish a defensive perimeter around the substation while Max’s Line Crews determine if the substation is operational.

“Max, remember, your primary purpose at this time is to determine if the equipment is operational, and if not, what will be required to repair it. You will make repairs at a later time.

“Lieutenant Denton, once Max’s people have completed their inspection, you will establish a mobile defensive perimeter around our Line Crews and Negotiators. Your Platoon will follow the transmission lines to the other power substations, while the Line Crews assess the transmission lines for any damage, and document what will be required to make repairs. When you arrive at each substation, you will again checkout the substation and set up a defensive perimeter while Max’s people perform their inspection. The power substation at the Hydroelectric Facility will be the end of your route, and hopefully you will get there before sunset. If you think you will not be able to complete the inspection before sunset, head for the dam so we can set up for the night. You can complete the inspection tomorrow.

“Each Platoon will be accompanied by two Negotiators. Our two routes to the Hydroelectric Facility pass through residential areas, so it is likely that we will encounter survivors. Once you secure the contact area and as long as we are not attacked, we will allow the Negotiators to handle contact with the survivors.

“Negotiators, it is my understanding that your purpose is to assure the survivors that we are friendly, and the Ark will be coming to their aid today or tomorrow. I have been told that you and Mr. Lyle have identified assembly points along our route, and will direct the survivors who can travel to those assembly points. I want to ensure that First Platoon will not be delayed extensively in getting to the Hydroelectric Facility. So is my understanding correct?”

“Captain, Mister Lyle has appointed me to be the Lead Negotiator. Our understanding is slightly different. What you said about contact with the survivors is essentially correct, but there are a few differences. In addition to sending survivors to pick up points, we will also be reporting the location of survivors who cannot travel so they can be picked up at their locations. We have small packets of food and water adequate for one person for two days that we will be distributing to any survivors we encounter. We will be notifying the Ark of any survivors that need immediate emergency medical care, so paramedic teams can be dispatched.”

“Thank you, Mistress Turner. Distribution of food and water will not be a problem. However, I was not aware of pick up teams going to the survivors at places other than the assembly points to make pick up and I was not aware of paramedics being dispatched. I hope you will understand that if we encounter such situations, we will do what we can for the survivors within a limited amount of time. However, we are not equipped to provide the types of medical aid that they will likely need, so we will not stop for a prolonged period of time to aid them. I will convey this new information to my superiors for further action and direction.

“Does anyone have any questions about what we are going to do?”

Looking at the group, Ahmed saw no one with a question. “Okay, standby for now while I contact Colonel Fenton. Stepping off to the side, Ahmed keyed his radio and said, “Ark 3, Bravo 1. Over.”

“Go, Bravo 1. Over.”

“I have completed my pre-deployment briefing, Ark 3.

“During the briefing, I was made aware of several changes to the Negotiators’ efforts. They have food and water handouts for the survivors we encounter. They will also be reporting the locations of any survivors who cannot travel for pick up by survivor pick up teams. The Negotiators will also be calling for paramedics to be deployed immediately to the location of any survivors requiring immediate medical aid. I have informed the Negotiators that we are not equipped to render emergency aid, and we will not delay the mission to remain with survivors we can’t help. Over.”

“Bravo 1, Ark 3. Ark 2 and I are aware of the food and water packets. They are being loaded into your pickup trucks. There was a last minute change to the plan for Fox Company to pick up survivors who cannot travel after tomorrow’s graveside service. Ark 2 and I are not aware of the need for immediate dispatch of paramedics, which will necessitate guard details. We will check with the appropriate people regarding any changes to the plans. Ark 2 just said that if it is necessary, Echo Company will provide the necessary personnel using the electric carts. Ark 2 and I concur – Do not delay your mission to render aid. When you encounter survivors who cannot travel, inform us of their location and of any significant medical problem so pickup parties, and if necessary, paramedics can be dispatched. Let the survivors know help is on the way, and then continue your mission. Deploy when you are ready. Out.”

Captain Maroun said, “Mistress Turner, General Henderson and Colonel Fenton were not aware of any plans to dispatch paramedics. They will be contacting the appropriate people for clarification and we will provide guard details for the paramedics. When we encounter someone needing immediate aid, I or Lieutenant Denton will notify whomever Colonel Fenton designates to let them know the location where medical aid is needed and the patient’s symptoms. We will then inform the survivors at that location that we need to continue our mission, and of why we cannot remain with them. Once that has been done, we will continue to the dam. Do you understand?”

“I understand what you are saying, Captain, but I don’t agree. I see no reason why we cannot remain at the location for the thirty minutes or so that will be needed for the paramedic to arrive.”

“Off the top of my head, Mistress Turner, I can think of two reasons to move on.

“First, the response time may be thirty minutes if we are close to the Freight Yard, but it could be longer. The closer we get to the dam the longer it will take to get a paramedic to the patient’s location. Assume that the average transit time is one hour and we encounter six survivors needing aid. If we move on, we can get to all six survivors quickly. If we remain behind for the first five, the sixth survivor’s aid will be delayed by at least six hours. Getting aid to everyone who needs it as soon as possible seems to me to be a very good reason to move on; especially when there will be very little if anything we can do for a patient with a severe medical problem if we stay behind.

“Secondly, the sooner we get power back on in Auburn, the better. Electricity will not only mean a better lifestyle for people, but we will be able to restore the hospitals, fire departments, and other lifesaving services in the surrounding area. You may also want to consider the fact that Jon informed us that there is a risk of damage to the turbine that drives the generator. The longer we delay, the greater the likelihood of the turbine being damaged. If the turbine is damaged, then the result is likely to be a great deal of harm and death for everyone in the months to come.

“I explained my decision to you, Mistress Turner, because you and your people will be dealing with the survivors and I believe it is important for you to understand my decision; however, it is my decision and that decision is not up for argument or negotiation.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.