Surprise Melody Flintkote - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote

Copyright© 2018 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 36

Kaikoura was shaken ... nothing severe ... but the shocks were becoming regular. Almost predictable. Harbingers of future events? Maybe or maybe not. It seemed like a good idea to keep moving. The voices in my head agreed ... keep moving.

Getting the crew together, I put it to them.

“I’m getting weird...” I started.

“You can say that again,” from one of the girls. And everybody nodded.

“As I was saying, I’m getting weird FEELINGS about the trip. You are college students. You should be learning to think. I want to put it to a vote. Keep going or go back. The question is open for discussion.”

“Ooo ... you’re serious.”

“I am ... forward or back. What say you?”

Arguments were presented on both sides of the question. Debate went on for most of the morning. In the end it was decided to get out of South.

Wellington is a little more than 100 nautical miles from Kaikoura. Until rounding Cape Campbell there is Zero shelter from storms or possible tsunami ... even after Campbell it would be open water anchorage on a possible lee shore.

Blenheim and crossing the Wairau River Bar would be the first harbour. If we were to HAVE to use it we would already be nearly to Wellington. Might as well Wellington as Wairau Bar. Too many bar crossing accidents for my skill set. Once rounding Campbell we’d make for Wellington.

Fueling at Kaikoura gave the crew time to call home. And me time for fresh vegetable shopping. We had spoilage simply because we seldom cooked aboard.

Full up we headed out about a mile and set a course NNE or 20 degrees east of north. That should put us far enough off shore to miss Clarence and give us a straight shot at Wellington.

After we were away and settled in our passage making most of the crew hit the bunks or the salon. Kaikoura was the most tiring of our stays.

The more knowledgable crew set their own watches. I was incapable. Period.

Wellington had the necessary marine lift and pressure washers. I wanted the barnacles removed. I have been remiss in my weekly hull maintenance. Shame on me, Basilisk has a grass skirt.

Fitzroy Bay was choppy but once behind the rocks above Point Dorset and into Worser Bay we were gliding along at five or so knots. Everybody relaxed. Even me.

They accepted my Hobsonville membership so ... the lift had to use 2 straps per hull, and that cost extra... 178 dollars extra. The pressure washer was $36 plus $30 an hour labor after the first hour and $38 to clean up after the wash. Lift use was $113 for over 2 hours. I asked for an external survey ... she HAD been submerged and I was never sure there wasn’t damage I might have missed. That was another $500.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.