Surprise Melody Flintkote - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote

Copyright© 2018 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 32

Jim drove. I tried to pay attention but, I was lost in seconds. The magic was in full force ... streets were changing names left and right. Jim was turning left and right. The neighborhood changed from prosperous to just a little seedy and then outright rundown. We drove through despair and out the other side. The homes were pretty big, not mansions but not cracker boxes. We drove past a gated community with sagging gates and then we were on a cul-du-sac with a few houses.

Jim said, “This can’t be it.” and he began to turn around when I got a whiff.

Curry ... mmm.

The place Jim was looking for was a house. Not a restaurant ... some Indian or Pakistani family’s home.

As we pulled in the drive, Jim said, “Albert told me about this place.”

“How is Albert?”

“Disappointed you didn’t call him ... maybe pissed. He’s certified, too. So is Mattie. They’d heard and wanted to help. Mattie has her own troubles with the uni Rugby club.”

I let that stew a bit.

At the private home, we were greeted in the grand style. The food was by buffet and the price was reasonable ... by Dunedin standards. They were bordering on ridiculous by American standards. But it was all you could eat ... and Mango Pudding. Heaven in a bowl.

On the Buffet:

• Homemade cheese fritters.

• Chicken marinated with spices and saffron, then steam-cooked with basmati.

• Boneless white chicken sautéed with fresh onions and bell peppers.

• Chick peas and diced potatoes cooked in the popular Punjabi style.

• Eggplant cooked with green peas, fresh tomatoes, onions, ginger and garlic.

• Homemade cheese cooked Indian and Chinese style.

• Home made cheese sautéed with onion, garlic and tomatoes.

• Home made cheese cooked in butter with onions, bellpeppers, tomatoes.

• Chicken marinated in yogurt and mild spices.

• Thick and juicy cubes of chicken roasted in a tandoor oven.

• Chicken cooked in a light onion and tomato gravy.

• Pieces of chicken tikka cooked in a creamy sauce with fresh tomato.

• Boneless chicken sautéed with fresh mushrooms or broccoli.

• Boneless chicken cooked in Indian and Chinese style.
Boneless chicken cooked in hot curry sauce.

• Naan.

• Spinach Salad

I tried to eat everything ... except the eggplant. I hate eggplant ... and artichoke. They gag me.

Replete, I asked to make a local call. The waiter was agreeable. I dialed the number from the sign at the property ... several times. Listening was like listening to a shell from the beach ... no ring ... no voice ... just the sound of the sea

The waiter noticed I was having problems and offered to assist. I handed him the piece of paper with the number.

He looked at the number and said, “I’ll call.” He did. Loudly. “daada aao. yah yuva vyakti aapake bandaragaah bhoomi ke baare mein aapase baat karana chaahata hai” (Grandfather come. This young person wants to talk to you about your harbour land.)

The older man, dressed in chef’s hat and whites, came through the kitchen door saying “krpaya, mere bete, ham ek angrejee bhaashee desh mein hain.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.