Surprise Melody Flintkote
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2018 by Old Man with a Pen

The Farr was delivered to the Freight Depot in Dunedin. I picked it up ... well ... the lorry and driver for hire did the work ... I paid.

So ... I suppose that’s the reason I was already living in the Carey’s Bay Hotel when ... five weeks later the Cat and Cyn radioed in asking for accommodations for a 65 foot catamaran.

Sounds simple doesn’t it?

Wasn’t.

The Hotel had stopped accommodations for travelers years before. They were now a Public house, a bar, a lounge, a conservatory, the forecourt, a courtyard and a snug.

The cheerful public bar is full of local flavour. There are stunning views from the window seating of Carey’s Bay and the marina. The open fire provides a warm and cosy place to eat and drink after a brisk walk. A place for a drink and some sport if there is a match on. The walls of the bar are hung with work from artists who live in the harbour and costal areas. The art is for sale except for a few select pieces that are the property of the owner

The lounge seats up to 30 people in a cozy relaxed space, ideal for larger family dinners with plenty of room for children to move around in. This space is especially good in the winter with its warm fireplace and comfortable couches. It is also good for informal gatherings and the space can be booked without worrying about any formal dining arrangements.

For larger functions the Conservatory seats up to 50 people for a meal or 60 for drinks and canapés. The area is heated and is used all year round. Hire costs, if any, are negotiable in relation to the type of function and per person spend.

The forecourt is an outdoor tiled area with seven tables that seat up to six people each.

The sea air, the sights and sounds of the bay and the activity of the marina are best viewed from the courtyard, an experience not to be missed.

The Snug, with views of the bay can seat up to 14 at one table. It is ideal for a special family lunch or dinner or small function. The snug is also available through the week for business meetings for a day hire of $100 plus drinks and meals.

It’s a great place ... historic, right on the bay ... and I own it ... well ... WE own it ... as the surviving heirs to the estate of one Jacob Flintkote.

The Hotel was part and parcel of Flinkote, LLC ... a property the Shingle Bank in Frogmorton VA had bought during the Depression.

“Diversification,” said the Shingle in Charge.

While banks all over the world were in default, Shingle Bank remained solvent.

The trucker dropped my Farr off the road in the carpark of the Hotel. He was gone before a customer thought to mention the boat and teenage girl wrapped up in the sail and sleeping in the cockpit. I was taking up the Owners reserved spot.

“Here, girl. you can’t sleep here. That’s the Managers parking.” The barman was portly and a buster. I was an unknown ... and I had the colossal nerve to park my boat in the way.

“Sign says OWNER. Not manager,” I said.

“Owner? The owner lives in the United States,” He said.

“Not anymore,” I said.

I flashed a pile of papers, “The owner is me. And I want a front top floor room organized for me and my cat. And I want it now.”

“Hear now, young lady. You can’t sleep in the streets.” The speaker was the local Constable on Patrol ... the local cop. He’d been taking advantage of the warm atmosphere of the Hotel and pub.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.