Surprise Melody Flintkote - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote

Copyright© 2018 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 12

“What about KiwiGrip?” I was asking.

Mike was telling. “Traction control. You’re going to spend a lot of time on the trapeze. Traction control when tacking is really nice. By the way ... no jibing ... Tacking is the fast way around.”

KiwiGrip is a durable, non-skid deck coating system developed by New Zealand yachtsmen specifically for use on boats. Most other traction or anti slip coatings are simply repackaged industrial products.

This hard acrylic polymer provides a durable, homogeneous, elastic surface. It spreads quickly and easily. By using one of KiwiGrip’s proprietary rollers (sold separately) and by varying application technique, the texture can be adjusted from fine to aggressive for the right amount of traction. (Jamestown Distributers) That not only describes it but supplies guidelines for application.

There is always something ... part of Murphy’s Law. When in the sequence of events ... or a plan ... there is always certain expenditure of monies unexpected. Nida Core is expensive unless bought in bulk ... like a railcar of it ... even the purchase in truck sized lots ... OR ... the honeycomb core can be bought by itself and your own bread added to it ... bread being your underlayment or overlayment ... or both ... The honeycomb is flexible ... to a point ... while the completed article is not.

Thorough investigation later, I bought the core and epoxied it to the plywood skin adding the MAS glass and resin to the top ... it made for a shapely and sturdy compartment floor. Painted with two part gel with KiwiGrip in strategic areas, I had a light weight but rigid aft hull.

Then I used the mahogany for the side and main deck. It was beautiful. I wanted it to stay that way, so ... MAS resin and hardener are transparent.

OOO ... pretty!

The titanium rudder stock and bracing ... an airfoil daggerboard and rudder and a week for it to get out the heat and I called the local inspectors. They weighed it... 50.113 kilos. She made the minimum weight so It wasn’t necessary to add the weight that many of the homebuilt Farr 3.7 had.

A windsurfer rig and sail ... way too fast for me. So I convinced a young man to try it. I believe he expected to try me after ... nope. I am not my sister.

“I can win with this,” he said. But he had expectatious hands too.

I continued my quest for honest test pilots.

I found my pilot in the person of a 67 year old former Farr 3.7 Fleet champion ... he was far more vocal about the sailing qualities, the superior construction and HE wanted to buy it.

“I can’t do that,” I said. “But I can build its twin.”

That wouldn’t do at all. He offered what would have been a years wages for a shipwright.

“I don’t need the money,” I said. “But I will take the flattery.” I spit on my palm ... so did he. I sold the boat.

The next day, I went to Michael, “What will you pay me for the scrap...” Long teasing pause here... “And the two remaining sheets of plywood.”

“Two thousand after I sell the cabinets.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.