Demigod of War - Cover

Demigod of War

Copyright© 2018 by Mad Wolf

Chapter 27

Day 65

“Filthy, no-good, back-stabbing, traitorous bastard!” Syg came storming down the stairs into the brazier room.

It was a lot less crowded, now that those fighters with family could camp with their loved ones. Those without family used the other room, the one connected to the tunnel that the Adepts had completely filled with ice. All that remained in the room with John were Rorik and his family, to include Syg and Treb of course, plus the Captains and their families, though Khapu and Tabbirt both had no wives, and Ranveng. They no longer had to constantly step around a jigsaw of exhausted Watchmen and Wardens strewn across the floor.

Sygraid threw something at John’s feet, where he stood chatting with Rorik. The Shield-maiden had gone with a small work crew, armed with their few remaining digging and masonry tools, two days after she’d plugged the tunnel to create a new door in Wotaanz’s ice wall. Ranveng and Khapu followed, shepherding the others who wanted to attempt the Challenge. They lost twenty Watchmen, fifty-two non-combatants and the Senior Warden agreed to let Nyal and one other Warden go too. Minus their previous losses, and those doing the Challenge, but with the healing Rorik kept up, they now had one hundred and seventeen effective Watchmen, and four Wardens remained. A few were still bearing minor wounds, too slight at this point for the carefully-husbanded healing Rorik could provide, but there were no more non-ambulatory warriors needing care.

John picked up the Captain’s amulet from between his toes, and held it out to Rorik. Ranveng and Cacy (who’d gone with the work crew) followed Syg into the room. The trio marched over to John and Rorik, all bearing various unhappy expressions.

“Well, the rat’s in the cellar now.” Ranveng muttered.

“He didn’t...” Rorik shook his head in disbelief.

“Yes. Khapu deserted.” The Senior Warden’s voice held only scorn. “The fatherless son of an orc waited until all the others went through our new door. Wotaanz would only let us send one through at a time, as he now does his ‘test’ inside the glowing ice room. I made sure to tell everyone the hint you gave me—”

“Which we’ve now chiseled into the wall.” Cacy interrupted. “I know the dwarfish language, plus enough Fey to include translations for those as well.”

Ranveng continued. “As I was saying, we let all have the hint, with myself and Khapu controlling who entered, and when. I’ll admit, we peeked, but after the first child died, I couldn’t bear it anymore. Khapu didn’t care, though. He spied on each and every one. When the last were finished, he plucked that from his neck,” he nodded at Rorik’s hand, “and threw it down the stairs. He said to tell you he ‘wanted no part of the Watch any longer.’ I am unhappy to report that he had no difficulty passing the ‘test’ and is now inside the Halls.”

“Well, now we know why he volunteered to go.” Rorik spat. “May his privates rot and fall off.”

“Grandfather was so angry after we told him, he offered to send his own worgh to hunt the bastard down.” Syg told them. “He hadn’t heard what the traitor said, or he would have just killed him outright. The man—no the piece of dung,” she winked at John, to his surprise, “has no honor, which Wotaanz promised to tell all the Valorous.”

“This will hurt morale.” John mused, staring at the wall behind his chair.

“Yes, it already has.” Cacy said. “There were none from his village on our crew, and when we passed the camps of those who are, the men taunted and cursed them. If Sygraid hadn’t been there to threaten the workers when they wouldn’t cease, and to keep us from being attacked, I’m sure we’d already have several dead.”

John wandered away, still studying the stone he’d sat with his back to for days.

“Lord Jyon?” Sygraid asked, when they’d fallen silent to wait for his return.

“Huh?” John glanced back. “Oh, Syg would you help Treb out? That damned giant’s really taxing him and Hal.”

“Giant?” The Shield-maiden blinked.

John waved her away.

Rorik escorted her into the other room, where her son was dutifully maintaining their ice plug’s integrity. He explained that they’d sent another scouting party up after she’d left to make the doorway. The scouts found that the orcs had killed the frost giant, from what they could figure, because it was down in the valley now. All the other orcs were gone, except Shaman. From all appearances, the rumors Hal mentioned about their enemy being a Necromancer were true. The damned corpse was undead, and now pounding on the other end of the plug with a pointed metal rod. It was tirelessly swinging the makeshift ice-pick like a battering ram, digging a hole deeper and deeper in their shield. Treb and Hal were doing their best to refill the hole as fast as it was dug, but were ever so slowly losing. Another double-handful of orc undead guarded Shaman’s tent, with an additional one or two raised per day from the mass grave they’d used the trench for. He always performed the act before true dawn, or once night had fallen, so their ability to spy on him was limited.

Rorik had sent Treb up with another scout at one point, hoping the Adept would have some insight into Shaman’s process. The youth had watched their foe raise two servants, over the course of a day, and all Treb could tell was that however the Cambion’s power worked, using it was extremely taxing for their enemy. The orc would immediately retire to his tent when he finished, and didn’t reappear until most of a day had passed.

The entire leadership council was working on figuring out a solution to their predicament, a way out. So far, they had nothing to show for it beyond the most hare-brained ideas imaginable.

“Rorik, come here!” John called out after standing motionless for several minutes.

Rorik walked over to stand by his leader, and waited patiently while John stepped sideways, then backwards, followed by getting really close to the wall. Close enough for his nose to touch the stone.

“Huh.” John grunted.

“Lord, what are you doing?” The former innkeeper finally asked, when John stood motionless for several minutes.

“There’s something ... there, and over there, too.” He pointed at two spots on the wall.

The places he’d indicated, he realized when he stepped back were equidistant points, dividing the wall between the Door and the steps leading into the mountain into three parts. Both appeared as small circles, no wider than his palm, each with a different ... flavor to his Sight. He described what he was Looking at to the Commander.

“What do you think it might be?” Rorik wondered.

“I’m not sure.” John admitted. “But I can’t believe I sat with my back to that wall for all this time, and never turned around. I never noticed it before.”

He spun in place, examining the opposite wall, but that one was blank to his Sight.

“It’s only those two.” He said, after turning back.

“Lord, I don’t know what you see. What would you have us do?” Rorik prompted.

“I’m not sure.” He looked over at Cacy, who was watching them with great interest. “Do you have a hammer and chisel?”

The scholar nodded, pulling tools from a knapsack.

John carved out a circle, marking the area his Sight told him was odd. After a few minutes though, the scoring disappeared.

“Huh.” John mused, stepping back again.

“My lord, if I may,” Cacy ventured, “I’ve heard the tale of your journey into the Hall. Sygraid said that the Door vanished, with nothing but the stone remaining after the Valkyrie closed it. Is this true?”

“Yeah.” John admitted.

“So, there might be other Doors, ones we were never told of. Ones that also lead to this room?” Cacy hypothesized. “Unless the Watch already knows the answer?”

John looked at Rorik, who shrugged. “No one has said anything to me.”

“Go get the Captains.” John ordered.

Rorik returned an hour later with Gaybe, Baddeen and Tabbirt in tow. He’d obviously told them about Khapu’s betrayal, as they all wore murderous expressions. John, Cacy and Ranveng turned from their conversation to address them. Cacy explained his theory when John indicated he should.

“My lord,” Gaybe addressed John, “I was probably the most familiar with the Door, but even I was unaware of what lay beyond until you went through. We have no tales that speak to this.”

“What about the flame starter?” Baddeen asked, pointing at the brazier. “Maybe if you light it, something will change?”

Rorik pulled out the triangular stone.

“I never noticed, but I will try.” He scraped the appropriate corner, and the blue-white flames flickered into being.

They all looked to John hopefully.

“Nothing.” He said, after Studying the wall intently.

“What do the other corners do?” Cacy asked curiously.

“I know not.” Rorik admitted, looking at the Captains.

They all looked to each other, but each shook his head negatively.

“Could you try?” Cacy asked.

Rorik glanced around at each person.

“It’s all right. Give it a try.” John encouraged, after no one objected.

He snuffed the blue flame before scraping a different side of the stone. Sparks shot into the metal bowl, expanding into a white-blue flame, an inverse of the first one. Everyone in the room gasped.

“I’ll be damned.” John remarked. “There you go.”

The others followed his finger to see an opening in one of the spots he’d previously indicated. It was a circular opening, with ten small, square indentations around the circumference, like a gear wheel. The astonished gasps were louder this time.

“What is it?” Rorik asked, stepping closer to the wall.

“I am not sure.” Cacy told him, leaning in to examine the hole.

“It’s a lock.” John said.

Everybody’s head jerked to look at him. He nodded at Rorik.

“You have the key.”

Rorik’s hand dove into the satchel he’d hung from his belt. Shaking, he pulled out the metal ring, with the extended cylinder pointing at the wall. Eyes bounced from the object to the wall, to John’s face and back. The Commander motioned with it to the wall.

“Should I just... ?”

“Hold.” Gaybe urged. “We know not what lies beyond. We should equip ourselves, in the event that they are hostile.”

“Good point!” John snapped his fingers loudly.

“Sygraid! Hal! Get in here!” He called. “Bring some men, ready to fight!”

A clatter of metal and footsteps on stone echoed as Watchmen dashed in, followed by the two Ice Adepts. The three Captains quickly organized their men into a shield wall, oriented on the keyhole.

The Shield-maiden glanced at the flame curiously, but gave John her attention when she saluted.

“What do you need, my lord?” She asked.

John pointed at the keyhole. “We’re going to unlock that. We think it might be another Door. Get ready.”

Her eyes widened, but she obeyed quickly. A head toss, and she’d divided the line of men. She took one side, standing behind the men while Hal took the other half. John kept Rorik with him, but spread the Captains and Ranveng in line with the Adepts.

Word traveled up the stairs, and those who camped along the first section drifted down to peer into the room. Other Watchmen who’d been sleeping in the first room roused themselves too, slipping into armor and strapping weapons on. John waved them back when they made to join the already-formed squad.

“Give me the key.” John demanded, once everyone was set.

“No, my lord. This is my responsibility.” Rorik replied.

With a command, he moved through the file to insert the metal extension into the keyhole. As soon as it was fully seated, he let go and stood back.

“Turn it.” John instructed.

He held up his arm, rotating his wrist. Rorik nodded and did so. After a quarter turn, a bell rang, like a church bell heard from inside and far away. Everyone tensed, and at Gaybe’s urging, one of the Watchmen in the front rank grabbed Rorik and pulled him to the rear. A section of the stone disappeared, revealing an iron Door, with hinges on their side, the same size and shape as the first one. They key fell to the ground with a metallic ping. A white-blue glow just like the flame, in the shape of a winged sword flashed across the surface and the new Door swung out towards them silently until it touched the wall to its side with a quiet thud.

Beyond was a small landing, with a narrow tunnel leading into the rock behind. Two gray-winged Valkyrie stood in the opening, shields and spears in hand, with a third at their backs. Their eyes picked out John’s unsurprised glower and Sygraid’s own winged helm.

Both groups stared at each other for a moment.

The Valkyrie standing behind the others spoke up. “Greetings, Lord Jyon, Overlord of the Watch, and Liege Lord of the End village, warrior of True Seeing, successful Challenger and bearer of a dragon’s weapon. Our daughter, Sygraid we greet you as well. Men of the Watch, do you mean to attack?”

“No.” Rorik cleared his throat. “No! We had no knowledge of what lie beyond this Door. We only wished to be prepared.”

The Valkyries relaxed, resting their shields and spear butts on the ground. Rorik ordered the Watchmen to return to their room. Slowly, tripping over their own feet as they stared at the women, the men exited. John, Rorik and the Captains moved forward to stand near the opening.

“What is it that you wish from us?” The Valkyrie who’d been speaking asked.

A thousand questions flashed through John’s mind, but all he could think to ask was:

“How is Veronyka doing?”

He ignored the incredulous glares from the Captains.

“Your companion takes to the sword well, from all accounts.” She replied. “I have not seen her myself, though. But is this really what you wish to ask me?”

“Uh, no.” He grinned. “I, ah think that I might need to speak to Brunhyldar. If what you’re guarding is what I think it is...”

He gestured at the crowds watching from both openings.

The Valkyrie sighed. “Your Sight is clear. If you will close the Door, I shall return as quickly as I am able.”

“Uh, why? It’s not like we couldn’t open it back up.”

She sighed again. “Now I shall require an oath from you not to do so, in addition to closing the Door. Please?”

“See, here’s the thing.” John replied. “We already signaled you guys a bunch of times, and nobody ever showed up. It’s a little tough to trust that you’ll actually come back like you say.”

He held up his hands to forestall her angry reply. “I’m not saying you’re lying, but you can’t control when or whether Brunhyldar comes, can you?”

She thought for a minute. “You are correct. But I may not depart, so long as the Door remains open. Or if I believe it might be opened while I am away. You must do as you think prudent; I have my orders.”

John turned his head to stare at the other, invisible keyhole. “And the third Door?”

She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “The path beyond is destroyed. See for yourself, if you must. Now, will you swear?”

“How long will it take you to go get her and come back?” He asked.

Another minute’s thought. “Let us say ... a week.”

“Then I swear not to reopen this Door for at least a week. Will that suffice?” He crossed his arms.

She stared at him, clearly unhappy. “I had heard much better of you, from my sisters. This is all you will swear?”

John pointed at the opening leading to the ice-filled tunnel. “I have a Necromancer orc and his army on one side,” he pointed up the stairs, “and a dragon who’s likely to kill me if I go that way. You’re door number three, which I only found by pure luck. There’s a thousand starving people in here with me. If you think I’m going to give up a potential escape route just to make you happy, you’ve got another thing coming. Especially when you could’ve just let us through in the first place. You won’t help us, with your stupid ‘can’t help the living’ crap? So be it.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.