Demigod of War - Cover

Demigod of War

Copyright© 2018 by Mad Wolf

Chapter 21

Day 27:

John’s eyes snapped open at the soft treads in the hall beyond his door. Two? Yes, two sets of feet moved cautiously until they were standing just outside. He heard leather creak, and the occasional click of metal on metal. His hand slipped off the pallet to find the Tooth’s haft.

What is it? She asked.

Someone just outside, be ready.

I am always ready, even when you’re busy stabbing your woman.

John had no reply to that, but whoever it was seemed inclined to wait. He debated staying something, but didn’t want to wake Veronyka up. Her hand closing around his member ended that argument, however. He tried giving her a ‘raised eyebrow’ look, but that only really works when you accent looking from the eye below that particular eyebrow. John never did get the hang of raising his right though, he could only do the left. But with that eyeball missing, his look was just comical.

He put a finger to his lips and mimed hearing something outside. Veronyka nodded, pointing at her sword in its sheath, standing in the corner. Reaching that was going to make too much noise.

“Who’s there?” He called, ready to roll out of bed.

“Sygraid and Trebuchet, my lord.” She replied.

“How did it go last night?” He asked, swinging his legs out to sit up.

Veronyka’s moue made him reach back blindly to pat her ... elbow?

Sygraid moved the flap to speak, then paused when she took in John’s undressed state and Veronyka’s much more effective ‘look’. She spun around and the material fell back down behind her. She spoke in a flustered, then harsh tone before settling into a more factual, dry cadence.

“My lord! Ah, we ... we watched the Valkyrie talk to the men for a very long time. Many were very angry, and I do not think they convinced any that our cause is just. Several fights broke out after they left. None of the men is actually in charge of the group, and it looks like there are several separate groups who barely tolerate the others. Only one man stood watch in the entire camp after the rest went to sleep. Hal slew that one, so we could prepare for our ‘rampage’. Treb and Hal killed six, and I succeeded in burning a large portion of the camp. Your disguise idea worked very well, the men were too frightened by the sudden appearance of a frost giant to mount an effective defense.”

“Thank you Sygraid.” John answered, getting dressed while she spoke. “Is it light out?”

“The western sky is light, but the sun does not yet come over the mountains. This is when your ah, woman asked us to wake you. I see now why she thought that necessary.”

“Why Sygraid, are you jealous?” John asked teasingly.

“What?” She screeched. “I ... my lord! You must not say such things! If Rorik hears he will demand a duel, as is his right.”

He finished buckling his belt and gave Veronyka’s still abed status a head shake.

“We don’t have a lot of time.” He warned.

“I’ll be there in a minute, shoo.” She waved.

He did get a quick kiss, including a small lip-lick before exiting.

“Good morning!” He said cheerfully to Treb.

The boy’s face was bright red with embarrassment. “G-o-od m-orning, lord Jyon.”

John gave Syg’s shoulder a clasp. “Would you know where we can get some food before we go?”

“I will fetch some.” She offered.

John followed her, but Treb stayed back.

“C’mon Treb!” John motioned. “Let’s eat. Sorry we didn’t get a chance to yesterday.”

Syg stopped. “You do not wish him to ... watch over your woman?”

“Not unless you have some specific reason for it.” He lowered his voice. “Wouldn’t want her to get the wrong idea.”

“What idea is that?” Syg matched him.

“That we think she cannot look out for herself.”

Syg snorted, beckoning Treb to follow. “My lord, we all saw her ah, ‘fight’ yesterday. She displayed little skill during the battle.”

“Her talents on my world were elsewhere, true. She’s probably never done anything like that before. But I think she’ll come along faster than you imagine, now that we’re here for a while.”

“As you say, lord. Should the Valkyrie elect to teach her, she would find no better instruction anywhere.”

“Assuming they don’t decide something much worse when we get there, I’ll see about asking them. Thanks.” John smiled when Rorik met them in the main room with a large platter of food.

“Rorik!” John beamed. “How are you this morning?”

The man plopped into a chair exhausted.

“You are lucky the Valkyrie are taking your woman away today. Otherwise, I might not live until tomorrow.” The man muttered.

John chuckled. “Why’s that?”

“My husband’s other wife is very ... competitive.” Sygraid said, taking a bite.

John laughed, pounding the table. “Oh, but what a way to go, huh Rorik?”

“It is a terrible way to go!” Rorik insisted. “There is no chance at the Halls of Valor if a woman’s attention weakens you to the point of death.”

“I would think a man like you would have built up a lot of stamina. What with having two wives and all.” John teased.

Sygraid froze and Rorik frowned.

“Ah, you do not know.” He explained. “When I and Runa asked Sygraid to join our family, she declared herself to be in mourning until her son came of age. We accepted her restriction, though many do not approve. All know she is my wife, but secondary to Runa and unavailable in that way.”

“Oh, um, all right.” John searched for a way to change the conversation. Unfortunately what came out was, “Uh, isn’t Treb ‘of age’ now?”

The boy nodded.

“Yes, but very recently and we have been busy. Were Sygraid to desire it, she must make her intentions known publicly first, so no one thinks I forced her. And so all know she no longer mourns.”

John snorted at that.

“Agreed.” Rorik smiled, then got serious. “And until she does, should she lay with any other man, I may rightfully divorce her and disown my son.” His voice cracked on the last phrase. “Depending on the circumstances, the village might even banish her.”

“This sounds like something I should keep my nose out of.” John admitted.

“Nay, as her lord, you should know of it.” Rorik denied. “She is sworn to your service. I do not think that you would force her, but there are those who do. You ask things, and say things that others here would not. It reminds us that you don’t know all our ways. You should be aware of this, as you travel together.”

“Uh, well I don’t know how long we’ll be gone. Hopefully by the time Veronyka and I return, it won’t be an issue?”

Rorik looked from John to his wife and back. “You will not take her with you?”

His disapproving tone made John sit up.

“This isn’t my choice. The—V”

“Indeed it is not.” Brunhyldar spoke as she came off the steps and crossed to their table. “Jyon shall have to swear a vow of secrecy, standing in the oath circle. This is our price for allowing him to enter Valkyrie-Home. We shall take no others when we leave.”

Rorik frowned again. “You expect a leader to guest with you and take no retainers? We have allowed you to keep yours, while you are here.”

The Squadron Leader glared at him. “You placed no restrictions on us when we came. It’s unseemly to attempt to do so now.”

“Our way is to allow guesting leaders to keep their retainers, as long as they are not so numerous to pose a threat.” Rorik insisted.

“Three Valkyrie are plenty numerous enough to pose a threat. But it is not our way.” Brunhyldar asserted. “He enters our domain, and must do so by our rules.”

“If you do not let Sygraid go with you openly, know that you will have to kill her to keep her from following.” Rorik pointed out.

“It will not be necessary.” She replied. “When we travel, she’ll be unable to follow. Daughter, please stay. I cannot not take you with me, even if I desired it more than anything. Besides, we have a portal arch at Valkyrie-Home. Your lord told us yesterday that he now may use them to travel from one to another. We will protect him, while he’s in our care. You should be ready to do the same, when he returns here without us.”

“Once I use it, I’ll always be able to come back.” John warned her.

“Yes, but the oath you take will protect our secrets even so. I’m not worried.” She answered.

Veronyka joined them. “Not worried about what?”

“Your dalliance returning to Valkyrie-Home once he departs from us.” Brunhyldar replied.

“My ... what?” Veronyka sputtered.

A clamor outside drew their attention.

“We must depart.” Brunhyldar said.

The tavern door slammed open, and Cayne staggered in, panting.

“Lord ... Jyon ... you ... did it!” He gasped.

“Did what?” John asked.

“The men ... outside the gate ... they’re leaving.” Cayne announced.

“Fantastic!” John crowed. “You drove them off. Good job!”

John punched Sygraid’s shoulder and smiled at Treb.

“Please come outside.” Cayne beckoned.

John checked with the Valkyries, who motioned him on. Everyone else followed too, so a gaggle trooped to the small open area in the village center. Sloveng, Cacy, Heegan and the rest of the Council were gathered, with most of the other villagers, though not many of the Watch, standing behind them.

“Sloveng!” John smiled. “I hear you got those thugs to go away!”

The man smiled, but shook his head. “Not I, lord Jyon. You did.”

“Uh, far be it from me to argue, but I didn’t do anything. It was your people who made that happen.”

“Heegan says it was your plan, carried out by your sworn retainers who made them go.” Sloveng announced, with Heegan nodding.

“I just gave a few suggestions.” John waved that off. “I think most everyone knows what I was really doing last night.”

The villagers laughed.

“You comforted your Shield-maiden, in her time of need!” Heegan joked, to more laughter.

“So, thanks for uh, thanking me I guess.” John scratched his neck. “I don’t know how long I’ll be gone, but I promise I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Before you depart, lord.” Sloveng knelt, drawing a dagger from his belt to place on the ground, hilt toward John.

The rest of the Council, except Heegan, and all the villagers knelt as well.

“We acknowledge you as our lord.” Sloveng announced, staring at the ground. “Your word is our command, your service our duty. The End no longer looks to Tygus for protection or authority.”

John froze, unsure what to do. His mind raced, considering what this would mean.

Sygraid whispered in his ear. “You must accept this. Even if you don’t, Tygus will hear of it and punish them, and you if he can. Just say, ‘I accept’.”

“If I find out you put them up to this...” He warned out of the corner of his mouth.

She giggled while he announced, “I accept. Thank you. I’ll do all I can to ensure your safety.”

Sloveng stood up, with the rest of the Council. The villagers remained kneeling.

“Okay, now what?” John asked, waiting.

Heegan drew his sword, and saluted. He too placed his sword on the ground, but stood back up and bowed. The other Watch Captains filtered to the front of the crowd and copied Heegan’s actions.

“The assembled Watch Captains and I have unanimously voted to make you our Overlord.” John heard a hissed breath intake behind him.

Heegan looked over John’s shoulder for his next statement.

“Valkyrie, we do not repudiate you as our allies. But this new threat you say you cannot meet. We need guidance and leadership from someone who will stand with us. As always, we welcome your advice, but we will no longer bow to your authority.”

Brunhyldar stepped up beside John, sighing.

“I acknowledge your wisdom in looking for committed leadership, Commander.” Her tone said she wished they hadn’t though. “The Valkyrie host shall always consider the Watch as our allies.”

“What do you need me to say, Heegan?” John asked.

“Just that you shall guide and lead the Watch, lord.”

“I will lead and guide the Watch, Commander.” John parroted.

The men picked their swords up while the villagers stood and cheered. Chants of “Lord Jyon! Lord Jyon!” echoed down the streets.

“We must go.” Brunhyldar frowned.

“One second, Squadron Leader.” John insisted. “You would ask me to wait, if you had just assumed command and needed to give instructions. Wouldn’t you?”

She huffed, but nodded, crossing her arms impatiently.

John beckoned Sloveng, Heegan and several Captains to come over. He grabbed Rorik’s arm and drew him close as well.

“Yes lord?” Sloveng bowed.

“All right, first rule,” John had to nearly shout over the noise, “one bow is enough. Unless you haven’t seen me for a while, once is plenty. I’m a pretty informal guy, so you guys can always come talk, or ask me questions, all right?”

The men nodded, smiling.

“Second, I really have to go with the Valkyrie, right now. Like I said before, I don’t know how long I’ll be gone. While I am, Heegan keep doing what you’re doing. Rig the door, and put together a team to go Challenge. Since I have no idea when I’ll be back, use your discretion on when to send them. If Sygraid says they’re ready, I’d say they probably are, but it’s your call. All right?”

Heegan nodded, looking serious now.

“Captains, go back to your towns and get the proper message out about what this all means. If this causes problems with Tygus, do the best you can. I won’t second guess any of you, for what you have to do. I’m supposing the men who just left aren’t the only ones who dislike what’s happened.”

The entire contingent of Captains was surrounding him. They all said, “Yes lord!” together.

“Rorik, you’re a pretty good hunter, right?”

“Now that’s debatable!” Heegan joked.

“You’re the town’s point of contact with the Wardens. They’re still out there, scouting around, correct?”

“Yes lord.” Rorik replied. “I shall meet with them and report what they have to say.”

“If I’m not around, tell Sygriad, Sloveng and Heegan, all right?”

“As you wish, lord Jyon.” Rorik saluted.

“Sloveng,” John pointed, “keep running the village like you always have been. Same goes for you, I won’t second guess any of your decisions while I’m gone. I don’t know enough about the village to give you any guidance yet.”

“By ‘second guess’ you mean that you will support my decisions, lord?” Sloveng clarified.

“Exactly, the only thing I’d suggest is telling your people not to travel outside the walls by themselves. Just because the crowd left doesn’t mean some of them aren’t still lurking around looking to cause trouble. Pairs, or even groups would be best.” He looked over the whole group. “That goes for all the towns with a Watch. One way I could imagine somebody stirring up trouble would be to kill a few loners and try to blame their deaths on me in some way. Tell your people to be extra wary, all right?”

The men all affirmed their understanding.

“Sygraid,” John took her arm, “keep an eye out for me to come back via the funeral stone. Until then, do whatever you have to, to help organize any defense or deal with any threats. I’m counting on you.”

“I will do as you wish, lord Jyon.” She saluted.

He dropped his voice. “And talk to Halphis. If he’s willing to disguise himself and scout the nearest villages, I’d be grateful.”

“I shall ask him, lord.” Syg nodded.

“Anything I’m forgetting?” He looked around.

“We don’t have a good plan to deal with the Raider Kings or Alfyr if they hear and come this way.” Heegan reminded him.

John nodded. “I’m working on that.”

The Commander saluted in response.

“Nothing else?” He asked. Pause. “Okay then, I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

The Valkyries were already walking away, one Flight Leader with her hand on Veronyka’s arm. Sighing to himself, John followed.

“Hey, Rorik!” John called back as he remembered. “Keep my pack safe until I get back.”

“I will, my lord!” The tavern keeper replied.


John caught up to the women when they hit the village’s rear gate. The three Valkyrie leaders put the couple in the center between them and headed directly north toward the towering rock wall. They hiked in a straight line for three hours before cresting a small rise to enter a deep cut in the mountainside. They stopped just beyond, with Brunhyldar turning to John.

“This is your last opportunity to return. Beyond this, if you will not swear truthfully, we will kill you to keep our secrets.”

“I’ve already agreed.” He retorted. “Let’s get on with it.”

“Very well.” She raised her hand above her head, fingers extended together. “Mounts! To me!”

The ground behind her started moving. John took an involuntary step back, causing her to smirk.

“You’ll not be harmed.” She assured him.

Three large white shapes approached behind her. They were larger than horses, by almost double. Their exteriors were white, with random gray and dark spots and streaks, making extremely effective camouflage. It took John several seconds to figure out what he was seeing. It was only when the wings extended that he realized what they were. The animals’ underside was darker, gray with white streaks.

“You have your own dragons?” He breathed.

“We do.” Brunhyldar sounded pleased by his reaction. “An egg, stolen by one of my sisters, on a raid far to the south. Their mother is our secret ally, permitting us to use our chaos to mutate them before hatching.”

Two of them had six legs and a pair of wings, while the third had four, with two wing pairs. The number of talons on their claws varied as well, from two up to five or six. John had trouble counting exactly. The four-winged one had a broad fin at the end of her tail, like a whale on Earth. Another had two tails, both slightly shorter than the other dragons, each with a flat ovoid spike at the end. The third’s tail was exactly the same as the Diamond Dragon John met. Each of their heads were different as well. The four-winged one’s was long and narrow, sleek and unadorned with both sets of eyes looking forward. The double-tailed one had two horns, pointing forward like a bull, and a much shorter snout. The last one had a line of smaller, wide-based horns running from atop her head to the tip of her nose. Two sets of tusks also curled up out of her mouth.

All three wore white-colored saddles from the base of their necks, along the top of their bodies. Each Valkyrie approached one, Brunhyldar taking the single-tailed, horn-headed beast. The women affectionately petted the dragons’ heads, and whispered to them. After several minutes, the dragons lay down, folding their wings.

“Veronyka, you come with me.” Brunhyldar announced. “Jyon, you ride with Geiravuir.” She pointed at the quieter Flight Leader, who stood beside the four-winged dragon.

John walked over and waited while she repositioned some bundles strapped down in the center of the dragon’s back.

“Here.” She patted the now cleared space.

John slung himself up, and waited while Geiravuir strapped down his legs. She put one of the larger bundles in front of him, to lean on while riding. Once she’d tested that everything was properly secured, she took the spot at the front, right where the dragon’s neck merged with her shoulders. The Valkyrie buckled herself in as well before looking at her sisters.

The other Valkyries were ready to go as well. Veronyka was seated much closer to Brunhyldar, with their legs nearly touching.

“To Valkyrie-Home!” Brunhyldar called.

One by one, the three dragons ran forward and launched themselves into the air. John squinted his eye against the wind buffeting his pupil. They all wheeled and spiraled up along the mountain slope. The air temperature dropped, and if he hadn’t been immune, John was sure he’d be an icicle before they landed. Geiravuir’s dragon led the way, since she easily gained altitude more quickly than the others. Once they rose above the line of peaks, they turned due east.

John looked north, surprised to see that the mountain range extended as far as he could see. Snow-covered glaciers capped many areas, and he saw a few villages populated entirely by giants even bigger than the frost ones he’d faced. None even glanced in their direction as they flew by, far to the south. It took almost an hour of flying before they circled a small plateau with a wide opening into the mountainside.

The flat shelf was bare rock, worn smooth and free of snow or ice. A small ledge extended out over the slope below it, with a funeral stone at the very end. Geiravuir glided in to land first, passing into a massive cavern before setting down. Other dragons milled around, with a few Valkyries moving between them. One even waved to Geiravuir before taking to the air. They stopped and waited as Brunhyldar and the third Valkyrie landed beside them.

Welcoming calls sounded through the cave as the women unstrapped and slid to the ground. John and Veronyka were released next, and both Flight Leaders flanked the doc where she stood. Brunhyldar motioned and several gray-winged Valkyries came over. Each one looked at Veronyka’s helmet curiously, but they all listened to the Squadron Leader.

“They must go to the amphitheater.” Brunhyldar pointed at the couple. “Go directly, and keep them there.”

Four women saluted and formed a perimeter around John and Veronyka. The ones behind nudged them forward, but otherwise as long as they followed the ones ahead they weren’t molested. They passed through a doorway in the cavern rear wall, iron-bound double doors swung inward with a pair of Valkyrie guards examining all who entered. The hall beyond was about fifty meters long, and John noticed several murder holes along the walls and in the ceiling.

The next room was a wide circle, with an even thicker set of doors, and a portcullis just inside. A spiraling stone staircase led up into the ceiling, and also down through a hole in the floor. Several doors dotted the walls, with the occasional Valkyrie coming or going through them. Their escort took them up the stairway, and they climbed for a very long time before reaching the top. Along the way, they passed several closed doors with no indication of what lay beyond.

At the very top, they found a hallway extending away from them in both directions. Another crossed the first a few yards beyond the door they entered through. The guards took them around into the cross corridor and they marched another good distance before coming into a lookout position carved inside the rock. Narrow vertical openings lined the walls, with enough space for a person to stand between each one. It reminded John of the old World War Two emplacements he visited in Hawaii years before. Two Valkyries were posted there, scanning the valley and peaks outside.

A thick door no wider than John’s shoulders was opened allowing the group to exit onto stairs carved in the hillside. These were at the very top of a wide amphitheater created from the valley’s bowl. Stone benches ringed the descending slope, ending several yards before a large semi-circular stone stage. The Valkyrie quartet led them down to the space between the lowest seats and the stage. They took John and Veronyka to one side, and pointed at the very last spot.

“You may sit here, while we wait.” One said.

They separated, still maintaining their perimeter, with enough space so the women weren’t looming over them while the couple sat.

“How long do you think it’ll be?” Veronyka asked in English.

“No languages we don’t understand.” Another warned.

“Not long.” John pointed at the women already trickling down the steps.


The stands filled quickly. A horde of women all laughing and joking, teasing and talking as they found their seats. Each one seemed to have a specific place to sit, with an entire section at the other end all wearing blue-winged helmets. Those women wore what looked like lighter armor, without bracers, gauntlets or greaves. Their boots were more functional in appearance, calf-high leather accented with a touch of fur. Most wore small daggers, though some had hammers or other tools dangling from their belts.

The rest were gray-winged, with swords sheathed at their waists. Each carried a shield, which they rested on the bench or ground while they stood waiting. The few who were close enough and not blocked by their escorts, eyed Veronyka’s red wings curiously. One or two even called out a question to one of the guards, but were silently rebuffed. It was tough to be certain, but John figured there were close to five hundred females in the audience by the time the leadership appeared. It took about an hour for that to happen.

Geiravuir’s voice echoed across the bowl, silencing all other noise. “Valkyrie! Stand ready!”

The women all stood straight up, shoulder to shoulder facing the stage. Those with shields held the lip, resting on the ground in front of their toes. A line of women marched down the steps, four white-winged helmets, followed by two blue, then one with silver wings. This last one was aged, appearing nearly thirty years older than any other in the audience. Her face was lined, though not wrinkled. She wore armor similar to the blue-winged women she followed, but with no weapons on her belt. She carried a head-high staff of dark wood capped with metal, and a long gray cloak draped across her shoulders. The rod tapped each step as they descended. After around twenty steps or so, she double-tapped once, and all five hundred voices shouted.

“Courage, Honor, Skill!”

Brunhyldar exited onto the steps behind and followed the leadership down to the stage. The four Flight Leaders released Veronyka’s guards into the audience, while the two blue-winged and the staff-wielding women mounted the short steps up to the waist high stage. Each of the blue-winged women knelt at different spots on the stage, and seemed to be examining something on the surface. The silver-winged woman faced away from the audience at the very back, looking up the steep snow and rock covered hillside.

Individually, the two kneeling women stood, each stating loudly, “I have examined the circle, and it is unbroken!”

Brunhyldar mounted the stage. “Take your place.” She told the blue-winged duo.

The women took position at the base of the stage steps, on on each side. The Squadron Commander’s wings actually fluttered as she walked right to the front edge and called out loudly.

“I charge the host to witness our council. If you have knowledge pertaining to the matter I set before us all, notify your Flight Leader so you may be heard.” She turned around. “Seer, secure our venue, and power the circles.”

The silver-winged Seer tapped her staff three times. “Zirnitra! We ask for the loan of your power! Secure our arena and activate the circles of Truth, and of Binding. Know that we are grateful for your support.”

The entire hillside moved. This time John switched straight to his Sight instead of stupidly squinting to make out what was happening. In several spectrums, the dragon that jumped into focus exuded waves of distortion, rippling the air in a riot of color around her. She was about two thirds the size of the Diamond Dragon, with six legs instead of Nyd’hagh’s four, but her wings were much larger. She was colored with the same white camouflage coloring as the smaller ones he’d ridden. Except for a single large spike pointing backward from her skull instead of the eight her larger cousin bore, the rest of her body was identical.

She rose up on four legs, and sprayed some kind of mist over the entire valley. The blue sky disappeared, replaced by an inky blackness reminiscent of the entry room when John used the Network portals. The Seer stepped backward as Zirnitra moved down to the very back of the stage and touched her nose to the two places the blue-winged women had examined. A cylinder of distortion lit up at each one.

“I have done as you asked, Gyundul.” The dragon said. “I will remain, and observe, this second council called in such a short time. Especially with such illustrious guests.”

A murmur ran through the audience, quickly quelled by Brunhyldar’s glare.

“We welcome your wisdom, Lady of Chaos.” Gyundul replied.

The dragon laid down, head on her front claws to watch. The Seer turned around, and John could see that her eyes were solid, with no internal structure. One was blue, the other pure white.

“The host may sit.” Brunhyldar called. “Leaders, take your posts.”

The two women standing at the steps, and the four Flight Leaders surrounding John and Veronyka all moved to spots at the front of each slice of the stands. The two blue-winged women went to the front of the others who wore the same color.

“Valkyries, I come before you to ask your counsel.” Brunhyldar started. “A Visitor from another place, but not the world of our mother Fryja, has come to this one bearing our dead sister’s face and wearing a rank we do not know.”

She motioned for Veronyka to join her.

“Stay calm. I’m here.” John whispered to her as she stood.

The sight of her, now visible to the entire crowd, caused an even bigger stir. Brunhyldar even had to bark, “Be still!” to get them quiet. She had Veronyka stand beside her before resuming.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.