The Walk-on - Cover

The Walk-on

Copyright© 2018 by The Twelfth Man

Chapter 10

Later a deluge of bodies showed up. Brenda, our Tech guru seemed to know about what they needed to do and was expecting them. She got them ready at desks, handed out several files and folders and gave each a directory of all our names and numbers; including the support services.

I was beginning to feel not needed until Brenda said: “I’m the only one of your harem here right now. I hope you don’t mind. It would not do for ‘The Master’ to be bothered with such minor details”.

My thought on that was: ‘Some little girls were going have sore bottoms when they returned.’

The first company was both good and bad. Good because they got to see how statistics that seemed to make for a likely candidate can hide the truth about what was really going on. On paper this opportunity looked perfect. It was far from that however, at least for our investment purpose.

The CEO was an old tyrant. His idea of fashion would have been out of style twenty years ago yet he hung on, suffering major losses on the clothes but making profits in other divisions to cover ‘his’ revered lines. During the last three years his family all pleaded with him to stop this foolishness. But he controlled near 75% of the voting stock so they failed. The investment he wanted would have been used to open more retail outlets for his out of date products. Not a good investment.

Brenda and I listened as the girls related their findings. Not knowing my reaction there was some apprehension on their part as to what I would say.

“Good job! Things that look good on paper can turn sour under closer inspection. Your team is working under Brenda on the other four here. Better luck on the New York opportunity. Remember call on whoever you need including me. Miss you both!”

Disconnecting from the call, another line was ringing so I answered. I thought ‘if this kept up we would need more staff’. Answering that call was another of my many mistakes.

“Hello SRU Enterprises, how may I help you?”

“Calling me back might be a good start ‘Newbie’!” (It was Heather)

“Hello old Boss! You don’t easily give up do you Heather. I told you I was sorry to bother you and would never...”

“Save the sob story for someone else ‘Newbie’, I’m bothering you now. I figure you owe me one.”

“I’m not coming back. if you think...”

“OK! No problemo, although we can always use a ‘lightweight’ like you; at least I can think of a few things we could do but this is business.”

“So, you need a new yacht, or plane, maybe a country to holiday in? How many $ Billions you need or am I second because Ft. Knox turned you down?”

“Close! Your still mad at me huh?”

“Gee, why would that be? You and your Dad treated me the best anyone ever had. Leaving you and the girls in Atlanta was the hardest thing I ever had to do. No Heather I’m not mad at you I’m mad at myself for being so immature. It took someone else to make me realize that, I lost her too; so I can only blame myself. You’re right, I do owe you. perhaps more than one IOU. So go ahead, how can I help Princess Heather?”

There was silence on the line.

“Where are you? I don’t want to talk on the phone, especially on your Cell phone.”

“I’m in Nashville at the Omni-Hilton downtown.”

“I’ll be there by 1:30 tomorrow, you can buy me dinner!”

“HA! You Atlanta girls are all calling lunch, dinner!”

“What would you do if I said ‘Breakfast’ the following morning?”

I had to think some. Heather was a beautiful woman and I had many thoughts about her when Jamie kicked me to the side.

“I can’t even think of that Heather for then I would know this was all a dream. You know I think the world of you; I’m not sure even now I’m over my time in Atlanta. It even caused me to tell Jessica that I could not...”

“What’s that you say, your harem is full. maybe I can change your mind on that as well as relieve you of some money. Until then, I’ll try to save you a line or two on my ‘Dance Card’. OH, by the way, Daddy says ‘Give them Hell’ or was that ‘go to Hell’ ... whatever.”

Then she hung up. I was very honest with her, Atlanta was the experience of a lifetime for me, I’m just sorry I did not appreciate it, or her more.

I put my head down and wanted to cry, or worse. Thoughts of Jenna, Jamie, Tara, Jessica and yes, Heather were running through my mind. I must have looked a sight as Brenda brought me water and sat down next to me so I would not feel so alone.

After Heather hung up I realized this was not a dream, rather it was a nightmare. No good would come of anything Heather was involved in.

The next day I checked in with Brenda then I waited at the hotel, at 1:29, I was as nervous as a boy on his first date. Waiting in my room was like some medieval torture ritual. Wait wasn’t her nickname; ‘The Dragon Lady’? Probably just a term of endearment. Right?

No, no call, no warning as I looked at my watch hitting 1:30, then my door opened and in she waltzed. Nothing like a dramatic entrance.

“Princess, your humble servant doth greet you! Now what do you want?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.