Eric Olafson, Space Pirate  (Vol 5) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Space Pirate (Vol 5)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 4: Alvor's Cove

The rest of the flight to Alvor’s Cove was uneventful and we descended onto a brownish planet that somehow did not just look dry but dusty even from space. TheSaresii woman who was also the leader of the secretiveSojonit Order dressed herself in a sand colored voluminous cloak and handed me a similar colored garment. Then she said.” If you touch the side of your mask, about here next to the eyebrows and tap the spot twice, a shield of thin transparent Duranium seals your masks openings. The local dust is really fine, getting it inside your mask is bad.No worries the masks filters the air very efficently.”

I did what she recommended and an almost inaudible whirring sound hummed for a few seconds. She nodded satisfied and moments later went down the ramp and onto the surface of this world. The ramp behind us closed and the luxury yacht, which belonged to a Crime lord on Sin 4, flooded its Arti Grav cushions with positive gravitons and climbed back into the hazy blue sky without a single cloud but with smears of light brown colors.

A stiff wind caught the cloaks we wore as I looked around. We stood on a large plateau of bulldozed and leveled rock and compacted dirt. I estimated it was about five klicks in every direction. The excellent optic enhancements of my Sojonit mask zoomed in on things as soon as I squeezed my eyes and it mirrored environmental data directly onto my retina. This is why I knew it was exactly 48.9 degrees on the C scale and that the wind came from the West.

Beyond the landing field in the South and East was a cliff like rock wall that steadily rose and blended in high mountain peaks in the distance. That cliff wall tapered off to the North and when I looked into the direction from where the wind blew I looked over flat featureless land as far as I could see. It almost reminded me of the oceans of Nilfeheim during Longnight, vast, flat and featureless. However here a bright white sun glared mercyless on that seemingly endless sea of sand, dust and rocks and baked everything with merciless heat and shade less light.

Like her I carried a bag with a change of clothing and a few personal hygiene items. She put her bag on the ground and explained with a sweeping motion. This once was a river delta, water would gush from that narrow canyon you can see to the East and then taper out and then join the waters of the ocean that once existed where you now see nothing but a featureless sand and dust desert. Of course that was many million years ago. Whatever water is left on Alvor’s Cove is now deep underground.”

She pointed to the sun and continued. “The local star flared for unknown reasons about a million years ago and became brighter and hotter, slowly cooking and vaporizing the oceans off this world.”

I wondered what she was waiting for, but I didn’t ask. I assumed she didn’t come all this way to just stand around a dusty landing field.

As if she was guessing my thoughts she said. “Fliers are very rare on Alvor’s cove, mostly because bringing one here is very expensive.”

She has an amused tone in her voice.”Worry not my Soja, our transportation is on its way but it will be a while till it is finally here.”

She sat down on her bag and put her hand shading over her brow. Not that she really needed to, as I was certain her mask had the same UV filtering built in that transparent material that now covered the eye slits, but it was a basic human unconscious gesture and I thought that Saresii not only appeared but also acted very human in so many things. She used her other arm to point east and said. “There it comes.”

Almost like a slow surfacing submarine, a large lizard became visible.emerging from mirror like shimmering mirage the heat had conjured up over the flat surface.

It had six legs and had to be bigger than four Fangsnappers combined. The Lizard’s color was almost the same as the dusty brown surroundings and it was fitted with some kind of harness on which a covered wagon on four big wheels was attached.

At the speed the lizard and the attached contraption approached I estimated it to take at least another half an hour before it was actually here.

I gestured towards the approaching ground transport and said. “Maybe we should meet it half way. It’s less than thousand meters away. I can take your bag.”

She laughed, but did not make any moves to get up. “Only you would suggest walking a distance like that in five inch heels. Be patient my Soja, be patient. Not everything needs to be rushed or done right away.”

“Sorry if I appear impatient, but we are even deeper in Freespace now and I am sort of anxious to return to Union space and meet my friends again. Not that I would mind to finally graduate and get started on my Fleet career.”

“I can understand that, but would that not mean you would have to be Eric again? I had the impression you enjoy this.”

“I do, but realize that I am also Eric and I have friends who do not know anything about Erica and I am not sure if I want them to know about her.”

“If they are your friends would it matter to them?”

“I don’t know and they are too important to me to find out if it did.”

Together we watched the lizard drawn cart come closer.

From above a sudden high pitched whistle of misaligned Arti Gravs made me look up and watch a Velorian Armed Merchant descent. The 180 meter freighter seemed loaded to the brim with whatever merchandise it was bringing and its Arti-Grav projectors struggled to keep it at decent descending speed.

Velorian ship architecture wasn’t the most practical in the first place and from the sound of it one or two Arti Grav projectors had to compensate for another that was either completely out or as it could happen misaligned and thus worked against the others.

Arti Grav projector alignment was an important job during any maintenance, something that had been overlooked quite obviously on the descending ship. Its shape strongly reminded me of those spiral shaped sea snail houses one could find on the pebble beaches of my home world. The thought alone of the cool fresh air of Nilfeheim made me feel the heat of this world even more.

The woman next to me said. “Whatever you see now, I urge you to keep your cool and ignore it.”

I wondered what she meant by saying that in such an urgent tone.

“I will.”

The organic shaped ship had settled down on nine landing pads extending from its keel, about six hundred meters from where we were. Thanks to the zoom enhanced vision provided by the Sojonit mask I could see that three of the hydraulic landing gear was leaking fluids, and a fourth was bend so it could not retracted or extended at all. The characteristic swirly red and black color scheme of silicone-carbon lattice ceramic hull was a result of the Velorian production process. The Velorians, like several other Galactic Council species used ceramics rather than metals for their space ship hulls. Ceramics had several benefits over metals, but also quite a few draw backs. Why the Union in general preferred metal hulls was that they could be repaired relatively uncomplicated in the field, while Ceramic Hulls once they were cracked or damaged could only be repaired in specially equipped ship yards. I was recalling these lessons from basic engineering classes as I saw the large crack in the side of the hull. It had been repaired by bolting metal braces over it and the gaps filled with some kind of resin or perhaps evenDuro-Crete. It looked crude and I wondered who would be brave enough to actually go into space with something like that.

She also looked into the direction of that battered, badly maintained ship and said with a dry voice. “That is one of seven ships belonging to the Mulwhur Trading Company, they have their head quarter right here on Alvor’s Cove.”

“It doesn’t appear to be a pirate ship. I don’t see much in terms of armament and I doubt it would be fast enough to be an effective raider.”

“No, it is not a pirate. It is something much, much worse.”

A hatch opened and two Togar and four Oghar in crude but though looking leather and metal gear appeared. They were armed with long whips and long handled fork like sticks.

Through the excellent optics I could see them yell and holler and moments later naked human men, women and children appeared, attached to each other by ropes attached to metal collars. They looked dirty and some where caked with mud.

One of the men had a tattoo on his arm and I could read it, it was a merchant marine. Those were Union citizens.”

I got up turned to her. “What are they doing to them?”

“They are herded to the slave pens in the Canyon of Tears and there they wait till for the bi-monthly slave market. Togar and other Slave dealers will then come and purchase them for the meat and slaughter kitchens of Togr, to the Death Fight arenas of Sin 4, to mines and fields of the Brnah, to the furnaces of the Kartanian smelter moonsand a thousand other hellish places of no return.”

I almost screamed at her. “Maybe you don’t care about humans, but I see two Klack now and a Saresii woman. I am sure your optics are as good as mine! Don’t you see her?”

She nodded. “I do see her and she will most likely end up sold to the Kermac, who will dissect her to find out why Saresii are better Psionics than them. The Kermac hate us Saresii far more than they dislike Terrans and her fate will be gruesome torture and then a painful death.”

“We got to do something! We must!”

“What would you suggest we do?”

“Call the fleet somehow. You said there is a Sojo Temple here, don’t they have GalNet terminals?”

“Alvor’s cove is beyond the reaches of the GalNet network. We use extended reach terminals on Sin 4, but even if we could reach fleet command what can they do? This is Freespace and they won’t risk intergalactic war to free those slaves. Alvor’s Cove once has been Togar space; they only abandoned it because it was useless to them. The fleet coming here, means war. The Union would have to fight the Nul, the Galactic Council, the Shiss and all of Freespace including the Togar at the same time. It means decades of war and costing countless lives.”

I stared towards the slave trader ship. “I am a Union Officer and I have sworn to protect the Union against all enemies foreign and domestic. Those slaves are Union citizens and the Assembly should discuss nothing else day and night to make sure they are rescued and safe! If it means war then so be it. Every last Spacer and marine is bound by the same oath to fight and die to the last breath to ensure every ones freedom. It does not matter if it is even just one unlucky unkempt colonist that suffers. Our laws make no difference between the rights of one and the rights of many.”

She clapped her hands together. “You speak like a Terran and sound like Stahl. As it may be my Terran friend, we can do nothing at the moment and must maintain our cover. Doing something would expose us and without the right resources it will amount to nothing. Chose your battles wisely my Soja.”

She got up as well and took her bag. “Our ride is here.”

A being covered in a similar cloak climbed from behind a crude fitted wind shield. The billowing cloak made it impossible to determine the exact species; it had the correct number of limbs to be human but was only about 150 centimeters tall. It wore the hood of the cloak buttoned up on the front, with just enough opening for a pair of dust goggles. “I came as fast as Xtry can walk after I heard your summon. Do you need help with your luggage? It will be 2 One-weights to Bennard’s Cut or three if you want the Air Condition.”

My companion pressed three coins into the gloved three fingered hand of the being and we climbed over a creaking ladder into the back and through a curtain into a single room interior with four wooden benches and what he had praised as air condition were three battery operated fans. A fourth one was there as well, at least parts of it and quite obviously inoperable.

The fans did little to really ease the heat, but the shade provided by the wagons canopy felt really good. The entire contraption croaked and creaked as it started lumbering the other way.

Through the veiled curtains on the windows I watched the sad, gut wrenching train of Union citizens, prodded and whipped. Most however seemed to have lost all hope and complied with the brutal and inhumane treatment. If there ever was an unfair situation then this one took the cake. It took all my self control not to jump out of the wagon and stuff those whips and prods up those slavers arses.

But all the fancy Sojo weaponry would do me little good against these heavily armed bastards. Well I could take out the left with the needler and then use him as a shield to take out the ... She hissed.” Sit down!”

Only now I realized I was halfway at the door. I wanted to say something but sat back down.

The rattling of the wagon became more intense and looking past the driver I saw the Lizard now really moving. The Driver turned his head and yelled against the croaking noises, the wind and the thumping of the lizard’s feet. “Just got the word over the squawk-box, we got a Tornado of at least strength 8 coming from the Glagadrinn. I sure hope we make it”

I turned to ask her.”What does he mean?”

She pointed outside the back of the wagon and said as loud as she could and with concern in her voice. “Out there that is the Glagadrinn, it’s a huge desertof contient size.

That gray funnel cloud coming our way is a Tornado. If it reaches us before we reach the canyons we are in serious trouble.”

As I followed her pointing finger I saw it too, a monstrous funnel of dust brown swirls and dust was coming towards us over the coverless flat landing field.

The lizard was now running, whipped to speed by its owner, I could see sturdy stone buildings at the sides of a narrow gap between the enormous cliff walls. We were still at least two thousand meters away and the tornado behind us was gaining fast.

It just now reached the chain of slaves who tried to outrun this terrible force of nature, without any chance. Even though the same fate would most likely reach us too, I could not help but feel grim satisfaction to see one of the slavers ripped of his feet like a weightless toy sucked up and disappear in the swirling dust.

We had tornadoes on Nilfeheim as well and they were powerful and dangerous to any surface ship, especially in the first year of Shortsummer, but our burgs were sturdy and could withstand them.

Being out in the open on a flat surface in a wooden and metal contraption on wheels was something very frightening, the howling of the wind made any conversation no matter how loud I tried to yell impossible. A thousand meters or less, the narrow gap and the sturdy stone buildings much closer now, but the Lizard was at the end of its powers. I could tell as we slowed down.

Everything rattled, vibrated; the gray and dust brown whirling wind behind us now so close I saw it as one solid wall.

The tornado reached us. Up and down had no longer any meaning! I saw the canopy dissolving in a flash, pieces of wood. I tried to yell and hold her but she was lifted and disappeared. Sand grains whipped to speed sanded and pelted me. The cloak gone, feeling the sand hammering my face with a painful stinging sensation, made me realize the Sojonit mask was gone as well. Something hard hit me over the head, dazed but not completely out, I finally fell and slammed like a wet fur hard on the rocky surface, something hit me again and that was all I remembered.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.