Eric Olafson, Space Pirate  (Vol 5) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Space Pirate (Vol 5)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 1: Alone

The last thing I remembered was the stinging prick into my neck and then a nauseating spinning sensation that dragged me into nothingness.

I was supposed to perform an Orbital assault jump as part of the final challenge and to win the Reagan trophy for the Devastator.

My friends and I equipped with heavy battle suits had boarded a Drop ship. Strapped into the drop rack, my suit malfunctioned and nothing worked.

At first I believed I was dead, but I felt still nauseas and I opened my eyes. I was not dead, but lying on a metal floor. My hands were tied to my back and I was bare feet, someone had stripped me of most of my uniform, but to my surprise I still wore the leather shoulder holster and in it was the antique colt 45, Admiral Stahl had given me. If I could only free my hands somehow. I wiggled and strained my arms into an awkward, painful position and glanced at my wrists. It looked like Memory material tape. Plastic fibers that stuck only to each other, but with an incredible tensile strength, no matter how much I strained it didn’t budge. All it did was cut deep into my skin.

Still sick to the stomach I sat up and looked around. I was in a holding cell and I cursed, “Not again!”

The memory of my last time stuck in a holding cell was still fresh; even though it happened almost three years ago.

This prison cell had the shape of an inverted half pipe that was set like an alcove into a metal wall. I estimated it to be about four meters tall three meters deep and perhaps also three wide. There was no bed, no bunk, no hygiene unit, nothing. The front of the cell appeared unobstructed, no bars or barriers of any kind. Only at its edges I could see a shimmering distortion and it became clear to me there was a force field in place.

I tried to spit into the hallway beyond but my spittle hit the invisible force field with a sharp hissing sound and it was turned into a puff of molecular smoke. No Union holding cell would utilize an aggressive force field.

The room beyond the cell had two similar alcoves but they were empty and so was the hallway between them.

The loud vibrating hum of engines told me that I was aboard a space ship it ran with its engines near red line. The hum did not sound like a fine tuned Union engine.

What had happened? How did I end up here from being aboard a Union Drop Ship and inside a Quasimodo?

Was I alone or were my friends captured and in similar cells? That something worse happened to them I didn’t even want to think.

However if my past experiences were any indication, it was most likely just me and I was almost certain Dent had something to do with it. Just how did he do it right under the nose of the Immortal Admiral of the Fleet?

I did not think of McElligott the same way as I felt about Admiral Stahl, but I trusted him and didn’t want to believe that he might be involved in this. I also had to admit that the worm managed to get us to Quagmire Bog and acted within the Devi. I just wondered why it always had to be me.

While I was still contemplating my situation, there wasn’t much else to do after all, a humanoid man came into view. He appeared almost human except for the fine scaled skin. I recognized him immediately as the half human, half Shiss Lieutenant that shared a dinner with us right after we had arrived on Newport.

“Ah my guest is up, splendid! I was already concerned I used too much energy on the paralysator.”

I said nothing.

“What no questions? I expected you to ask me all sorts of questions!”

“I doubt you would tell me anything I really want to know.”

“Oh but I would. You see you are dead as far as the world is concerned. I think they are holding a ceremonial service for you right now. No one is looking for you.”

However they did it, I believed him. Somehow they managed to fake my death and that was how they managed to fool my friends and the Immortal Admiral. I did not want to give him any satisfaction so I kept silent.

It appeared he didn’t mind and he confirmed what I just was thinking. “We did it right under the nose of the Old Admiral too.”

I laughed at him. “If you think you and that goon Dent are smart enough to fool an Immortal who has seen every trick in the book, you are certainly on the wrong ship. He is going to figure it out.”

“They do not look for you. I told you. They think you are dead. You see your suit malfunctioned and most of you burned up in the atmosphere, the rest that slammed into the planet surface had a few traces of burned DNA left, your DNA.”

He was very proud of himself and I could not figure out why they went through all this trouble just to get me.

“It was quite a challenge to get you of the marine ship, but we did it. Oh I wish we could have taken the Quasimodo along, but something had to burn up and what they pay me for you is enough to buy me a new ship.”

“Why me?”

“I was not told why they want you.” He started thinking. “I bet I could get even more money for you if I knew what it is.”

He suddenly left.

I was in dire need of relief myself. No telling how long I had been unconscious, but by the soreness of my body it could have been several days. I was hungry and very thirsty. I was already contemplating to face the indignity and the discomfort and relieve myself when he came back holding a Kermac Line Blaster.

“We have arrived sleepy head. I am going to be very rich and you going to be dead or something.”

He deactivated the force field aiming his blaster at me. “Get up and let’s go. If I have to deliver you with a leg or an arm missing then so be it. They said alive, but I assure you there are many nuances between alive and dead and I don’t mind delivering a half cooked cripple.”

I struggled to my feet, which wasn’t easy. “Can I use a toilet? I really need to go.”

He actually spat at me and said. “I don’t care what you need. As soon as we are outside you may simply let it go. Just don’t soil my ship. He kicked me hard into the groin and laughed.” This is just a taste what I am going to do to you. If you don’t shut up and walk.”

Through the excruciating waves of nauseating pain I grunted. “I get you. I promise I will get you for this.”

His answer was an elbow blow into my kidneys. “Move!”

There was no sense fighting him now, he had the upper hand while I was tied and he was armed, so I obeyed. We stepped on a platform and it lowered itself to the ground.

From what I could see now I was certain it was a Kartanian Jihhif type Courier ship, slightly larger than the Sturgeon class of the Union, it was at last 200 years old.

He kicked me and made stumble onto the Duro-Crete surface of a space port.

The air reeked of rotting garbage and the stinging putrid stench of smoldering burning plastic.

The sky had a sickly greenish shade coming from a pale sun that barely penetrated the thick smog that lay like a blanket over everything.

It was very warm; I estimated the temperatures to hover in the upper thirties.

The landing field was made out of Duro-crete or something similar, but it was heavily cracked and big sections had already crumbled into big chunks, thick patches of weed growing in those cracks.

Piles of trash everywhere I looked. Not far from us was the burnt out wreck of what looked like was once a Togar pocket freighter.

In the distance I saw the skyline of an immense city with tall sky scrapers and structures, none of which looked alike. There was no distinctive or predominant architectural style. Even from here I could see black smoke rising from many sources beyond that skyline.

At first we were alone and I wondered if whoever was to meet him had missed the appointment, but then a sleek looking skimmer of an unknown type approached. It was armed with two energy cannons mounted on articulated arms sticking out from its roof.

My captor laughed. “My payday and your final fate is approaching.”

But before the skimmer had reached us, a bright energy bolt suddenly hit the speeder and a second one hammered into the Courier ships drive section. The skimmer lost its Arti-Grav cushion and screeched over the duro-crete engulfed in a cloud of dust and fire and crashed into a large pile of debris.

The second blast had done considerable damage to the Kartanian equivalent of an ISAH pod and I was certain it wasn’t space worthy anymore.

My tormenting captor had forgotten about me and ducked behind a piece of scrap metal and cursed on the top of his lungs in a language I did not understand.

That was my chance and I bolted as fast as I could, ignoring the very likely possibility of another energy bolt across the uneven ground, leaped with all the strength I could muster over a busted shipping crate and rolled over my shoulder to lessen the still painful impact. Just as I did, a blaster shot cracked directly over my head. It came from the Half-Shiss that brought me here. Obviously he had remembered me after all.

The crate had been ripped open and there were jagged metal edges. As fast as I could I turned and started to work on the plastic tape that tied my hands.

I worked franticly. I could hear him yell and scream obscenity laden predictions my way telling me what he would do to me as soon as he captured me again. He came closer; I could hear his steps. Blood trickled into my palms as I had missed the tape several times but I didn’t care. The scaled face of my tormentor appeared over the edge of the crate. The tape finally ripped released my hands. I rolled on my back, the good old colt 45 in my fists a fraction of a heartbeat later. He had spotted me and was about to aim his weapon. The antique gun made a satisfying deep roaring bang and the heavy slug punched an ugly hole right between his eyes, blood and brain spraying from the back of his head as it was violently thrown back.

“That’s for not letting me piss, asshole.” I vented my anger cursing at the now dead man but I knew I was far from safe.

I crouched close to the ground as possible and edged forward, risking a peek around the crate.

Three men emerged from the damaged and smoking speeder. They all wore battle suits that did not look like any I knew and were certainly not Union fleet issue. I was certain the suits were shielded and that was the reason they came out alive from their damaged and smoking vehicle.

All three were armed with blaster rifles, one of them was limping and it appeared that his suit had been damaged.

They did not look into my direction so I extended my arm and reached for the Line blaster my captor had dropped as I ended his miserable existence.

Out from under the burned out wreck emerged a powerful looking assault tank, crushing debris and waste under its wide tracks. From the organic lines of its design I assumed it was Nul hardware. The tank was armed with two cannons one of them swiveled around aiming at the men. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stand in the firing line of a Nul cannon that close even in a Quasimodo.

All I could determine that they were humanoid, but as I only saw them from the back I could not tell much of anything else.

A loudspeaker squealed from the tank. “You don’t do business on our space port without us getting a share. I suggest you drop your guns now and deactivate your force fields. Then we will talk fees and decide if you are allowed to continue your business.”

I had no idea where I was, but I knew sticking around was not a good idea. While they were busy with each other I crawled to the next pile of dirt further away and kept on creeping from cover to cover putting as much distance between me and them as I could.

I was now a good distance away and chanced a peak to see what was going on. Two men and a Quadiped floated right above the tank, apparently against their will. The three men used Telekinetics and had disabled the tank by snatching its crew with that cursed power.

One of the armor wearing strangers yelled. “You mindless scum!. Do you have any idea who you are dealing with?”

The Line Blaster I had taken was a decent weapon and fired long bolts of energy. It was this fact that gave these weapons their common desingation.

However it was next to useless against men in shielded armor suits and with telekinetic abilities.

Besides even without armor and psionics the numbers were against me and the only sensible thing for me to do was get as far away as possible.

However I hoped to hear some clue as to where I actually was and perhaps get some idea who it was that wanted me so bad.

Who were they and what did they want of me?

The next possible cover was a pile of Duro-crete pieces but it was at least a hundred meters from my current position, I glanced back once more. No one looked in my direction so I risked it and dashed as fast as I could, then dove behind the pile, skinning my knees in the process.

The still floating tank crew floating started to scream in agony. One of them was ripped apart in mid air by invisible forces in a gruesome display of what could be done with telekinetics.

At the same time the tank fired again, and the powerful energy beam vaporized one of the armored men and tumbled the other two through the air. Only one of them got up right away, it seemed the one that had limped would not get up again.

Yet another hover-speeder arrived at high speed firing at the tank, melting much of its front section. More armored men scrambled from that newly arrived speeder and I could hear one yell. “Where is the Narth friend?”

The Narth friend, all this had to do with my friendship to Narth?

However reinforcements had arrived and there was no reason for me to wait any longer and give them time to search for me. Maybe they had scanners or some Psionic way to search.

The tank was burning now and if its energy source was anti matter or a reactor and containment failed, that possibility was another good reason for me to split. I ran again, towards the end of that trash littered landing field and toward the alien city in the distance.

--””--

INTERLUDE: DENT’S LAST STAND

The inquest into Eric’s death already lasted more than two hours and continued behind closed doors. So far no one had called any of them to make a statement.

Har Hi held a PDD, he wanted to write an eulogy, he was sure he had to give one during the memorial service after the inquest was over.

He had not written more than Eric’s name. “He became the best friend I ever had. He was like a real brother to me; even though he was not Dai I am sure he would have been among the first warriors in my tribe.”

Wetmouth said with a dry voice. “You should simply write that then. I just realized how little I knew about him. We all talked about our origins and where we came from, but we never really asked Eric.”

Har Hi said. “He has beautiful sisters and an uncle or grandfather who is the representative of his world.”

Mao wiped his eyes. “We should all go there; to his planet I mean and bring his remains to his family.”

Krabbel spread upper arms. “Yes we should go there, but I think he would want to be released into space.”

Wetmouth worked her PDD and said. “They gave me access to his personal file maybe there are some things we can use.” She switched to field screen output and Eric’s file was displayed on a larger force field screen they all could see.

Hans and Wetmouth started to cry again as Eric’s image came up and Har Hi said after reading a few lines.” We don’t need a file to remember Eric, turn it of Wetty.”

The door opened and Admiral Webb came out and motioned them to remain seated, after Har Hi got up and wanted to announce the presence of an officer. He approached the group and said. “Sorry kids, but the inquest is still on. They are waiting on the Devastator to arrive. Admiral Stahl and General Lichfangh are on their way and should be here within the hour.”

Shaka finally spoke; he had not uttered a word since he learned that Eric was dead. “What will happen next, Sir?”

Webb the Ult had spent most of his life among humans and non-Ult and had adopted a few distinctive human mannerisms; he sighed and tried to put empathy into his voice. “I personally am not convinced that this was an accident and it was me who insisted on PSI corps presence. So it might take a little while longer, but if we rule it was an accident then there will be a memorial service and we all go back to where we came from, in your case it will be the Devastator, of course.” Webb pointed to an empty seat and added. “There is a short recess now, would you mind if I sit with you a little? I did know Midshipman Olafson personally.”

Har Hi who became the speaker of the group said. “Of course Sir, please join us. We are trying to phrase an eulogy for the memorial service.”

Webb looked at them. “You are indeed quite a diverse group, just as they say. Your friend Eric managed to stand out the first day he was at the academy, you know.” He told them about how Eric organized a chain to fetch water for his moisture suit.

That made Har Hi smile. “Yes that sounds like him, alright.”

Krabbel said. “He hated unfair situations you know. That was the reason he got in the middle of things so often.”

Across from their seating group was a bank of IST tubes and a tall Shiss appeared from one of them. He wore Captain’s Black on his sleeves and was followed by a Klack Commander.

Webb got up and greeted the new arrived officer. “Captain Zezzazzzzz what a surprise to see you here.”

The muscular four armed Shiss growled. “We were only 70 light years from here when my Takian Comm Officer heard the news on the Chit Chat channels. Is it true? Eric Olafson is dead?”

Webb unable to nod, declined his upper torso to imitate that human gesture. “Yes, the inquest into his death is still going on.”

The Ult made a sweeping gesture over the midshipmen, “these are his team mates and friends. We were just talking about Eric.”

The Shiss captain motioned to the Klack and said. “This is my XO Lt. Commander Xt’ Nartoo and I am Captain Zezz. We are friends of Eric and we are here to pay our respects.”

Not long after that another Ult also wearing Captain’s gold followed by Olia and Limbur joined the growing group. “I am Captain Wonn, of the Avalon, and these are fine crew members and the best midshipmen I ever had the privilege to have aboard my ship. They have been friends to the deceased and I am here to ask if they could remain until the ceremony is over?”

Everyone started talking how they met Eric and what he did. When Har Hi told how Eric busted a chair over his back thinking he was an intruder, there were the first giggles and Zezz made a hissing sound as he started to laugh. “Yes that sure is the Eric I remember. He saved my life and that of my brother in an incredible display of courage and fighting skills and I wish I could tell you about it, but I was there when he earned his Medal of Honor.”

A new voice said with an amused tone. “This is how he should be remembered, with laughter and tall tales.”

Everyone turned, Admiral Stahl was there. No one had really noticed him coming and with him was Captain Harris. “I have lost many individuals. Some in battle and some to time as it is the curse of an immortal, but I truly feel the loss of this remarkable young man, who in short time impacted so many lives and made such a deep impression on all those he met.”

There was nodding and agreeing expressions. Admiral Webb updated the Immortal and concluded. “It may matter little in the great scheme of things but I would really like to know what really happened. I did not agree on what form that final challenge took in the first place, these are Navy Cadets and not Marines.”

The immortals expression was stoic but his eyes did show regret and even sorrow. “General Lichfangh came with me and she has already begun her investigation. If anyone can get to the truth and find out what really happened it will be her.”

He sat down as did the Captain of the Devastator. Har Hi got up and took the Reagan trophy and handing it to Harris, said: “Sir, we know Eric wanted you to have this one.”

Harris took the bowl and said with a dry voice. “You all made me very proud.”

A black robed being, completely shrouded came over from the IST bank and saluted looking at Stahl. “Midshipman Narth reporting as requested, Sir.”

The Immortal made a sad face. “I am sorry Midshipman Narth, I completely forgot about you.” Then he looked to Har Hi and the others and said. “This is Midshipman Narth he was supposed to join your group. He too was a friend of Eric.”

Mao got up and went to the newcomer, put his hand on his shoulder and said. “Eric told us often about you and we know he considered you something like a brother. Come sit with us, we are talking about Eric.”

Elfi sniffed and said, “Narth, do you want to know how he died?”

The voice of the mysterious being had a cold emotionless character and it was as if there was a slight echo when he spoke. “One wishes to know the identity of the being that ceased to live, before one wants to know how this being died.”

Elfi actually felt a little afraid of the mysterious Narth, but she came closer never the less. “There is no easy way to say it, Narth, but Eric is dead.”

“One was under the assumption this gathering was to discuss his rescue. One can assure you Eric is not dead.”

Shaka said with thinly veiled anger in his voice. “Denial does not bring him back, and he is not a supernatural Narth that cannot die. We saw him burn up.”

“I must apologize if One caused anger, however this Narth is an all natural Narth. I do know about the existence of a supernatural Narth. Perhaps your definition of nature is not the same as the definition Narth understands.”

Wetmouth touched Shaka. “Don’t be mad at him, Eric loved this Narth deeply and everyone grieves differently.”

The shrouded being was silent for a moment and then said. “One has not interacted with humans and other beings like one did with Eric; One does not understand most of the emotions and feelings that motivate you, but I assure you Narth can die, as one would have if Eric had not risked his life to save me.”

Galmy and Limbur nodded at the same time. “That is true, we were there when it happened. We thought you were dead.”

“One was very close to this state of non existence and the reason for my long absence was the need to completley reconstruct this physical shell. so my Huhgavh can be anchored in this shell and this reality. Eric and this Narth shared the Huhgavh and for this reason there is a bond between Eric and Narth that is not easily explained as it is beyond what you define as Psionics, but I assure you Eric is not dead. No physical distance can prevent Narth knowing this. Eric is alive.”

A stun grenade could not have had a greater effect on the group. It was the immortal admiral who first found words. “I have seen Narth do things I believed impossible. If he is not dead, then where is he? Can he be saved?”

“That I do not know. Eric is well shielded against Psionics even for Narth and he has not yet learned how to control his abilities. I do know that he is quite far from here and he is fighting for his live and in great danger.”

Har Hi slammed his fist on the low coffee table, making the Reagan trophy jump. “If he is alive then who died in that suit and how did he get to wherever he is?”

Alyica Lichfangh, the Commandant of the feared PSI Corps arrived stepping into the room through a glowing portal of red light that disappeared as fast as it had flashed into existence. While most of those present still marveled at her method of arrival she said to Stahl. “I am done, Richard. I know what happened.”

The Immortal got up. “Then let us go in there and end this and then we are going to find Eric.”

He went to the conference room door, turned halfway and made a motion with his hand. “I meant all of us; you deserve answers just as I do.”

--””--

The inquest into the death of Eric Olafson was chaired by Dent of course, as it was his Academy. He lorded over the proceedings and enjoyed the attention and the fact that he had accomplished what his associates wanted.

The others present were commandants of other academy branches and his inner staff. If it was up to him, the procedure would have been over, the incident declared an unforeseeable accident and everything would be back to business. Most of the other commandants agreed with him, for to them it was just an accident. The evidence provided was good, the eye witness accounts solid, the Poly Analyzer well rigged and even McElligott with all his detail questions appeared ready to call the verdict. It was Admiral Webb that stalled the proceedings, had the evidence reanalyzed and personally questioned every witness and then had asked for a recess.

Dent had enough and leaning forward said: “I don’t see any reason to prolong these proceedings any longer. My esteemed colleague of Arsenal academy seems to have different ideas about what a short recess is. We agreed on twenty minutes and he is gone now for almost an hour. This is still my academy and I call for a resolution. We all agree it was an accident and by God’s name it was just a Cadet. We all had men die under our commands before.”

He saw most of them nodding or agreeing. McElligott glanced to the door probably waiting for Webb to reappear, but he too appeared to call the verdict and get on with other business.

Just then, door did slide open and Admiral Stahl walked in.

Dent did not expect the old Warrior to be here before the verdict was made. Somewhere deep inside him fear started to grow. He had little respect for McElligott as he considered him an old fool, easy to manipulate with fabricated reports and false evidence, but the man that just walked in was a different story. He’d never met Stahl in person before. The man they often called the Eternal Warrior brought an aura into the room that was not explainable, but almost touchable.

Other beings followed Stahl into the room. He recognized Webb of course and he smirked as he saw Harris. The woman in the black cat suit and the long silver colored hair he knew he should know who she was, but he could not remember at the moment.

He said. “Even though it is an honor to greet you Admiral Stahl. You are not part of this. Please step back outside, this is an orderly proceeding and we are about to come to a verdict. I will gladly give you a briefing afterwards.”

He then pointed his gavel at the cadets. “You need to leave too, this is a closed hearing.”

Stahl crossed his arms. “General Lichfangh here has conducted her own investigation and she is going to enlighten us all and these proceedings are far from over.”

All blood left Dent’s face and a cold fist clenched around his stomach. General Lichfangh, he should have recognized her right away. There was a rumor that no one could lie in her presence and everyone knew she was among the most potent Telepaths known to exist.

Commander Decker actually got up before anyone else could say anything. “I like to confess...”

Stahl’s voice had a razor sharp edge. “Sit down, traitor. It is far too late for that.”

Alyica said. “Eric Olafson is not dead. He was abducted. All you saw burn up was a rigged remote controlled Quasimodo. The charred bio matter you found was manufactured bio tissue from Olafson’s DNA. The Lab technician who made it has confessed.”

Dent’s hand slowly disappeared underneath the desk. All his plans and all his future had ended and he knew it.

The Psi Corps general continued. “While you all saw the accident and the sabotaged suit explode, Eric was stuffed in a message capsule and sent on his way out of the system, the same time the Orbital Assault began. No one noticed because the officer on the ship’s sensors was an accomplice to Commander Becker.

Eric was collected by Lt. Zyzahan at the outmost orbit; Zyzahan was also an instructor on this Academy and part of the criminal conspiracy that is the dark secret of this so called Elite School.”

Wetmouth could not stop herself and said. “Where is he, where is Eric?”

The Psi corps General who had faced the petrified audience of Academy Commanders and Officers said. “No one here knows. The destination was only known to Lt. Zyzahan.”

Dent hissed. “He will suffer for what he had done to the Worm! He will be sold to the Togar for flesh food. His eyes turned up and he made a gargling sound then his hand came up with a PPD.

Alyica said with a warning tone. “He is under the influence of a very strong Hypno implant.”

The PDD projected a field screen into the middle of the room and a purple clad being appeared. It had the basic proportions of a human being but its head was that of a faceless worm, segmented, and with an ugly ring mouth.

“I am the Purple Worm and my plan has succeeded. You are all here. Admiral Stahl, Admiral McElligott, the famous Alyica Lichfangh and a host of high ranking officers.

With one single strike I am going to accomplish what no one has ever dreamed to do. I am going to kill you all!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.