Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 76: NEWPORT CAMPUS

While we re-arranged the furniture and tried to make things more acceptable for Hans and Krabbel, more and more Cadets from other ships and installations filled the hallways outside our dorm.

Krabbel and Circuit managed to get additional mattresses and scavenged even a dozen Duranium steel beams to built Hans a make shift bed. I was not sure if I should ask them where they got the metal beams from, and then decided not to, because I was actually a little afraid of the answer.

Mao came back from his reconnaissance mission and gave us a short report about the other teams that had already arrived and of those still expected to be here. He knew that this time every academy branch had sent a team as well as several large ships that had third year midshipmen teams and more than 185 teams were expected to compete. He also found a mess hall with Serv-Matics on the ground level of this building.

Wetmouth also returned right after Mao and said she had some data she still needed to evaluate.

So after being situated I noticed it was almost 2000 hours and still no one had shown up to tell us what would happen next or where and when to go for dinner.

There was really nothing to else to do in the boring dorm room so I said, “Let’s have dinner. Mao found a mess hall with serve-matics.”

Har-Hi who had just finished helping Circuit to weld the steel beam supports underneath Hans bed said.” Good idea, I am actually quite hungry.”

Circuit put his tools away. “I wish I could have that Simu-Eat upgrade done as soon as possible. I always want to share our dinner and not just sit there.”

I turned to him as I straightened my uniform and checked my shave.”What is that?”

“You know I don’t eat. I can’t even pretend to eat as I have no throat, no stomach and no tongue, but I am a machine and there are Upgrades offered, not officially sanctioned by Mother Machine though, but one of them is called the Simu-Eat Upgrade and it would give me the ability to pretend to eat. It’s just so prohibitive expensive.”

“I can give you the money. I have lots and have yet found no real use for it.”

“Ah yes I remember you got almost as much cash as Mr. Schwartz.” He then looked to the floor.”I also remember I haven’t paid you back the money I borrowed when we first met.”

“Forget about it already, we are friends. I really don’t need it and I am glad I can do something for you. Consider it a birthday present or something like that.”

Elfi said.”Do X101’s have birthdays?”

Circuit nodded. “Yes we celebrate the day we are switched on. We call it Click-to-light anniversary, and it is celebrated much like a human birthday. We give and receive presents and everyone carries a little light around their necks.”

We continued our conversation about birthday traditions while we made our way to the mess hall, Mao had discovered.

No one was in the mess hall, so we prepared a table. Mao and Krabbel went to the Serv Matics and piled a four course meal on our table.

I made a short speech raised the glass and we started our dinner.

A group of Cadets came in and watched us eat. One of them asked. “Why are you eating? We didn’t hear any orders or mess calls.”

I shrugged. “We didn’t hear any mess calls either.”

Just then a Lieutenant in dark green Uniform walked in, looked at our table and went to the Serv-matics. He returned with a dinner plate and silverware and asked. “May I join you? Your table is nicely laid out.”

I stood and the others followed my example. “Please do. It would be an honor. Please join our table, Sir”

He sat down and we resumed our meal. The Cadet who had asked us about dinner was still standing there and sounded agitated.” Sir, we did not hear any mess calls and wonder when there is dinner?”

“Cadet, you are a senior, this is not basic training. The mess hall and serve matics are here for exactly this purpose so you may eat when you find time outside of scheduled training periods.”

The Cadet made a consternated face but told his friends and they went to the Serv-matics as well.

The Lieutenant on our table was humanoid, but had distinctive non humanoid features as well. To me he looked like a cross between Human and Shiss.

He looked us over. “Why so formal with silverware and table cloth and you all wearing dress uniform?”

I explained. “Sir, it is sort of a tradition for us. We try to have one meal together and when possible we do it the Navy way.”

He plotted his mouth with a napkin, reached for his glass and after he drank he nodded and said. “I see you are from the Devastator so it must have been you who landed that Barracuda Destroyer in that, let’s say heart stopping way?”

Shaka felt addressed so he answered. “It was not my intend to stop any hearts Sir, but Planet control requested we do not damage the grass and so I squeezed her in the only free spot on the Tarmac.”

He forked a morsel of food inside his mouth and after he had eaten it he said. “Expertly executed landing indeed.”

Shaka declined his head and said. “Thank you Sir.”

After he had eaten another bite the officer turned to look at me and said. “I went over your personal files and I must say I am impressed with your records. The flagship of the first fleet seems to have sent a capable team this time.”

He made some more small talk and while he seemed friendly and jovial, I had the unexplainable feeling he had ulterior motives for his meal with us. It was nothing but a feeling, nothing he did or say suggested anything. I considered that I was maybe a little too suspicious, lately.

We ended our meal a little later. He got up thanked us and left. After we had cleared the tables we also went back to our dorm.

The building was busy now with cadets from all over the Union and each group displayed their ship or academy branch badges and decals with pride.

There was a busy din of conversations in the hallways, groups had formed and had conversations with other groups, but not all were friendly we witnessed a few heated discussions too.

But when we were noticed, the conversations stopped or were replaced by whispers.

I credited much of that to the towering presence of Hans and of course Krabbel was quite an impressive sight, even for a society used to all kinds of alien life forms.

Just as we reached the second floor I spotted Olia and Limbur and both of them recognized me at the same time. Olia gave me a running hug only to be followed by Limbur, who appeared to have grown even a little bigger and stronger since I had seen him last.

Olia was as pretty as ever, but I had to admit she was no match for Elfi’s exquisite beauty, at least in my eyes.

Both sported patches of the USS Avalon and I learned it was an battle ship of the new Wedge class under an Ult captain they both deeply respected.

I thanked Olia and Limbur for their support and what they had done to help me. I told them what I could and what Elligott told me.

Finally I found time to introduce them to the others and Limbur looked up to Hans and offered his hand. “That is just my luck. I thought I would at least gain points in physical combat but now that there is a Saturnian competing...”

Hans smiled at him and took Limbur’s hand.”For the most part I am just a good eater and besides physical strength has very little to do with excellence in physical combat.”

Limbur nodded I know. We both have a friend who attacks anything regardless of size, when he gets angry.” Limbur gave me a wide grin as he said that and earned a round of laughter from my friends.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.