Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 70: QUAGMIRE BOG

We had launched the emergency beacon with a pre recorded message two days ago. To make sure my friends would not lose hope I kept them busy, collecting specimen. We had the robots built us a basic freight flier. With it we surveyed a greater area around the base. We had the P4 mounted on the flyer just in case.

Har-Hi was piloting the craft and Mao manned the Paralysator. Elfi was sitting in one of the passenger seats, her eyes closed trying to use her limited Psionics to scan for more of the Snake beings. So far she could feel nothing.

Krabbel spotted it first and pointed it out to us.

There about 25 kilometers away from our base we found the almost completely overgrown wreck of an old Saran planet lander.

I knew I wasn’t acting very environmental friendly when I had Mao hose down the area around the wreck with Paralysator rays, just to be on the safe side.

The main hatch was open and vegetation had made it inside the hull of the sixty meter craft. The hull appeared undamaged as far as I could tell at first glance. The ships landing gear had sunken into the soft ground and it was sitting in a steep angle surrounded by shallow water and vegetation. The power of the Paralysator was evident in all the animals either paralyzed or dead around the old Saran ship.

Mao kept watch with the P4 while Har-Hi, Krabbel and I approached the ship.

I said. “If we don’t make contact soon, I think we found our way off this planet. We got robots and a very talented engineer.”

My Dai friend pointed his blaster inside the dark opening of the access hatch. “Let’s hope we don’t have fight Nul in that thing.”

Krabbel scurried up the hull of the craft and said. “I think the Nul would be in for a surprise. I mean they never dealt with an angry Neo Viking and his crazy crew.”

“They did get a taste of it though when we faced those Nul fighters.” Har-Hi said and then turned. “Can’t see anything moving or dangerous inside, but I am not sure if the Paralysator penetrates all the armor of that thing so we better be careful.”

The room behind was full of vegetation and we found partial skeletons of two Saresii, the rest most likely carried away by animals.

My scanner showed a weak energy signature coming from the small crafts engineering section.

We completed the survey of the craft without any incidents. Not much of the vegetation had made it past the air tight doors of the air lock that led to the rest of the ship. We did find three more members of the Saran crew, all three mummified skeletons and all three had been murdered.

The engines were undamaged, not so the engineering section. Someone had smashed and burned most of the controls. There was a little energy left in the emergency batteries, but not enough to even operate the ships computronic.

We closed the hatch and returned to the camp. I was thinking about ways to get the ship back to the camp and repair it.

Almost two weeks had passed now since we had arrived on Quagmire Bog and we could neither reach the probe we had launched nor did anyone try to contact us.

During our daily meeting I said. “It seems no one heard our beacon signal. So we complete the base construction and add the facilities to strip that Saran Planet Lander and make it a working ship. We will also keep surveying this world. We still need to find out if there are more of those snakes.”

We started a concentric search pattern and launched two more mapping satellites. So far we did not find any signs of the Snake beings, but the Satellite images revealed several completely overgrown ruin sites, consistent with the temple we had found.

The day ended without anything happening. The construction of the base was making steady progress and the robots had finished with the foundation and had poured a solid floor inside the walled circle on which they now erected the main building of the new base. They were almost done with the first storey. The machines had to walk further now, to gather materials for the Nanite factory and doing so created a nice and wide open area, nothing could approach us without being seen.

I was confident in our security arrangements and did not think the snakes could do us any harm without us seeing them first. In a relaxed mood and near the midnight hour I climbed up to our roof post to relieve Hans from his watch.

I saw his hulking shadow in the darkness behind the P4 Paralysator and said. “Anything moving out there?”

Hans did not answer, but he moved and turned towards me. My eyes had adapted to the darkness and I noticed his bald head almost too late. At first I was not thinking anything about it, but then I realized he did not wear the pink wig that was shielding him from the Psionic suggestions of the Snake beings.

Hans howled words in his native language and swiveled the P4 around. In the faint light of a few stars I now saw one of the Snakes not far from him behind on the roof.

There was no way I could evade the invisible cone shaped ray of the weapon, or reach Hans in time to somehow prevent him from firing. Only because he was fighting the influence and did not react as fast as he normally could I was still there, at this distance the P4 would be deadly if it was set to maximum output.

Hans growled and I understood him now. “It’s time to die Verfluchter Wikinger!”


Acting on instinct I threw the knife I always carried under the uniform blouse on my back; when it came to react fast and without much thinking my reflexes went for knifes and blades before I thought using my guns. The knife flew true, I had not aimed at Hans, the blade would not do much to him. The blade struck the snake being in the throat right underneath its pointed maw.

At the same time I felt as if I was doused with boiling water, Hans had fired the Paralysator.

I didn’t lose consciousness, but I couldn’t feel anything to the right side of my body. Hans must have swung the projection cone out of the way in the very last moment and only grazed me. Still the effect was painful and my right leg no longer carried the weight of my body and I fell.

Hans held his hands to the sides of his head and kept screaming.

From my awkward position I saw Wetmouth coming on the roof. Hans grabbed the TKU that was leaning against the power unit of the Paralysator with the intent to shoot the Sojonit.

Wetmouth would stand no chance against that powerful weapon, and I was there seeing it all, and unable to do anything about it, the only weapon I had that could stop Hans was my blaster, and it was holstered to my right side. I did manage to pull it with my left hand, but I knew I would be to slow to prevent the Saturnian giant to fire.

Wetmouth was unarmed, so it appeared. Hans was an expert with all weapons and even if he missed at this distance, the intense heat of the blast would kill us both.

Something bright flashed from the eyes of Wetmouth’s mask and the seemingly unstoppable giant, dropped to his knees and stopped moving and screaming. It was as if he was a robot and suddenly lost all power.

Krabbel came on the roof right behind her, carrying four of the powerful TKU’s simultaneous and he fired blast after blast into the dark sky. The thundering, sun bright barrage illuminated a swarm of flying snakes. Each shot vaporized dozens of them.

I realized my tongue and my throat were paralyzed as well, and I could not swallow. Salvia had collected in my mouth and I wanted to get rid of it. I was gagging without the ability to cough, to move my head or do much of anything. I was suffocating, black circles hovered around my eyes as the lack of oxygen, the worst thing was the pain of not being able to cough.

I had experienced pain before in many forms, but being this helpless, to be fully conscious while my lungs tried to expand but unable to do so, hurt more than anything I could remember.

My friends were fighting the flying snakes, and I was lying there almost gone. I always thought I would die in a fight and now I would drown in my own spittle. If there was a Valhalla, how would I explain to all the other warriors how I had died?

Wetmouth rushed to my side and I saw her masked face hovering over me. To my surprise she produced a small knife and rammed it into my throat. She too was under the influence of the snakes despite her wig and it was her who killed me, these were the last thoughts I had before everything went dark.

I wasn’t dead after all. I came around lying in one of the beds of the outpost and could feel no pain or other ill effects. My right hand, my eyes and in the sweetest revelation my tongue worked fine.

Wetmouth was sitting right next to me, putting things and instruments back into the box of a field surgery kit.

She turned her head and her voice vibrated with emotions. “That was close, Eric. Very close, you almost died.”

I touched my throat where she had stabbed me and felt a bandage. “Tell me about it, I was halfway to Valhalla when you stabbed me.”

My voice sounded like a malfunction robot and every word was hurting.

“I didn’t stab you, Eric. I performed an emergency tracheotomy. I had to make an incision through your neck into the trachea so you could breathe because your upper airways were blocked.”

She then went on explaining what the trachea was and the significance of her procedure. Explaining things was her way of calming her nerves, I knew and I let her finish. I sat up and said with my rasping and hissing sounding voice. “What is our situation? How are the others?”

She leaned forward and gave me a tight hug. I could smell her wonderful perfume and heard her breath reflecting against the inside of her mask. She did not say a word, and kept hugging me for a long moment. “You should not talk that much. Let your wounds heal. We only have emergency medical equipment and I am not a MD.”

She did not let go as she continued. “Hans will be okay as well, no one else got hurt. Krabbel and Har Hi are on the roof sweeping the jungle edge and the skies with the Paralysator. It appears that there is a smaller flying variety of these Snake beings and they attacked in the dark, one of them managed to sweep the wig of Hans. They are more intelligent than we thought and it seems they have figured out, it is the wigs that protect us.”

I got up. “How is Hans and how did you stop him?”

My mask is more than a disguise, it has sophisticated weaponry incorporated. There is a needler in its nose, microscopic needles dipped in a very potent Shaill nerve toxin.”

I saw as she lowered her lashes behind the eye slits and added. “The toxin is deadly, but I hoped Hans is big enough to...” She stopped and then said.” I had no choice, Eric.”

“Hans is dead?”

“Oh no, he will be fine. I was able to administer the antidote in time. He will be back to normal in a few hours, but...”

I put both hands on her shoulders. “As you said, you had no choice. I hesitated too long and instead of firing at him, I threw a knife at the snake. You did what had to be done; besides it all worked out and we can add this to our collective experience.”

She just nodded, but I could feel her soft shoulders shiver underneath my hands.

I touched the tip of the mask’s nose. “I bet Hans pride is hurt more than anything else, brought down by something like that! You Sojonites sure are a devious bunch, I’d say.”

“One could say that.”

Har Hi had organized the defenses while Wetmouth was patching me up. Hans was sitting with a forlorn expression on his face in the common room and as he saw me coming in, he turned his gaze to the ground kneading his big hands.

I sat next to him and said. “Don’t be too hard on yourself. I am sure ten thousand men as strong as you fell for one of those Sojonit weapons. She only did it to safe herself.”

He looked up.”Oh I am not mad about that. Wetty did what she had to do and I am glad she did.”

“Then what is bugging you? I don’t know when exactly but I promise you we get of this planet eventually.”

“Eric I am not worried about that either, but I almost killed you. Har Hi seems to be a better friend to you than I am; he managed to aim to the side. I did not, I hit you. I always considered you my best friend, but it looks, like inside I am not strong enough.”

I put my hand on his truly immense underarm. “It was Psionics and not you, I hate these invisible powers. Hans do you trust me?”

“With my life you know that Eric.”

“Do you believe what I say?”

“I have never doubted a word you said.”

“Hans, I know you are my friend. I trust you with my life. I have no doubt you are a good friend as Har Hi. Besides I think you managed to pull that darn Paralysator away too. I was only partially affected, if I would have been caught inside that ray at that distance, we would not have this conversation.”

His eyes lit up. “You know maybe that is true. You should be dead.”

“Well I am glad I am not. So get up and let us get out there and assess the situation.”

The next day, one of our satellites identified an energy source almost five thousand miles from our camp site. It was located in a mountainous area, almost on the other side of this world and on a different continent, with less vegetation than everywhere else.

The energy signature did not match any known configuration, but then without having access to GalNet we could not compare it to more than what Wetty had stored on her PDD.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.