Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 68: QUAGMIRE BOG

The platform was perhaps fifty meters in diameter with two prefab buildings made of the same material at its center. Despite the nearly indestructible Duro-Plast the structure was made off, everything looked old and abandoned and in dire need of repair.

“Now what,” asked Mao?

The buildings were rectangular shaped and about ten meters long and wide in and six meters tall. Like the surrounding platform they were covered with a fine greenish substance, most likely some kind of moss or algae. Larger plants, tufts of grass and yellowish colored flowers grew in nooks and corners.

Only one of the buildings had windows but to dirty to see through,

“Har-Hi, Mao, Elfi and Circuit check the other structure. Draw your weapons and proceed with caution and we check this one.”

Wetty scanned the sensor plate with her PDD and said. “It is set to standard Union bio-metrics, it is not code locked. Just as she said it the door opened with a wet sounding noise, gobs of the green algae material dripping from its frame. Dry musky smelling air wafted in our direction.

I called again, but no one answered so I went in, my blaster ready.

I entered a common room with a table, chairs and a small portable Serve-Matic on one side. Everything was coated with a fine layer of dust. A cup and a plate on the table were covered with dried fungus.

I was pretty sure no one else was here, because the same dust that covered everything was also covering the floor and it was undisturbed.

There were three bed rooms with personal belongings strewn around. Uniforms, Coveralls and other items of clothing stored in the personal lockers of each room. The third room appeared most disorderly the simple non-matic bed was unmade. A PDD lay on the floor and some Data-film magazines of various publications along with other reading material on the night stand.

Krabbel appeared in the bedroom door frame of the room I was just examining and said. “I think I found one of the occupants.”

He led us up a short flight of stairs. There were more personal rooms and an office with a GalNet terminal. The GalNet terminal was damaged with a blaster shot and a mummified human was sitting in a corner of the room on the floor still holding the blaster which he apparently had also used to blow half of his head away. The corpse wore the uniform of the Science Corps and the name tag read: ‘Dr. Herford.’

Wetmouth knelt down and examined the remains closer. “That is an old uniform; this style is no longer used. The last time science corps uniforms with blue and gray panels were issued was about fifty years ago.”

Shaka picked up a PDD from the desk and activated it. He had to clean the read out window. “It looks like I found the dead man’s personal log.”

“Does he say why he committed suicide?”

“The screen displays the dead man’s name, Dr. Samuel Herford, but I can’t make the PDD do anything else. I believe the memory is damaged, maybe Circuit can fix it.”

After searching the rest of the building and finding nothing noteworthy, we went back outside to meet the others.

Har-Hi and his team had also finished their survey and the tall Dai came over and thumbed towards the building he had just come from. “It appears this was the lab and the storage facility of this research post. We found the remains of a badly decomposed body. Whoever he was, he has been murdered, and the vibro-machete that was used to kill him is still embedded in his chest.

The lab is somewhat trashed but there is enough food to last us at least twenty years.”

Circuit added. “The power cell is fine and I think I can fix the water recycler, it’s just clogged. The outpost computronic, however has been sabotaged and is badly damaged, most likely beyond repair.”

I handed him the PDD we had found. “Do you think you can fix that? It might help us find some answers.”

He took the PDD and begun to check it right away. After a few moments he made a frustrated sound and said with an apologetic tone. “Sorry, Eric but the thing is useless, the memory crystal is gone, someone took it out. Whatever was recorded on it is gone.”

“Someone took the crystal, which takes some doing. Someone really wanted to cover his or her tracks.” Elfi concluded.

“There are seven beds used, twelve rooms and only two bodies. There is a possibility; the killer might still be out there.” Hans added.

“Looks like we are stranded on a Planet with a murder mystery, so what are we doing now?” Krabbel asked me.

“We do what we came here to do. Circuit and Shaka get the equipment working. Har-Hi, Wetmouth and Elfi you make recordings of the bodies and the crime scenes and then see if you find some container we can put the remains in. Hans and Mao you going to check the food supplies and prepare dinner. Krabbel you go on top of that building and take a blaster. Keep an eye, well better all eight eyes on our surroundings.”

Mao grinned. “You got a knack for this command stuff. I would have never thought of all that!”

Wetmouth’s mask was as unreadable as ever, but I knew her long enough now that I knew when she was smiling. “That’s why he’s in charge. I am amazed how he does that, too.”

“You made him blush!” Laughed Mao.

I grumbled. “It was you who picked me. So get to work. There is lot’s to do.”

“What are you going to do?” Asked Wetmouth.

“I am going to unpack and see what kind of equipment we got in those containers. I am hoping for Quasimodos.”

My friends went to do the chores I had just handed out. This was the first time I was really in charge over them. Aboard the Devastator being the dorm senior was more or less just a title and I had never done the things I was supposed to do in that position, namely checking the lockers, the proper cleaning of the dorm and inspecting the state of dress, but thinking back I realized I did almost all the time tell them what to do. Even though we were in the military and others telling you what to do came with the job, I wondered if my friends resented me for this. Not that I ever had the slightest suspicion, those eight beings were my friends on a level that was hard to put in words.

While I was thinking all this I went back to the edge of the floating platform, where we had first arrived and where the robot had placed the foot locker sized box.

The box was hermetically sealed, but its ID lock recognized me and considered me authorized. I swung open the lid and right on top of what it contained was a PDD. The system came on right away and a Fleet Commodore sitting in an office was displayed on its two-Dee screen.

The man begun by saying. “Briefing and Orders for ‘Operation Second-look’, issued by Special Mission Command Annapolis and authorized by me, Commodore Davidson. Following orders and instructions are for you Lt. Strasenburgh commanding your twelve member specialist team and an additional attachment of Marines. Before we come to your orders let me brief you on the planet Quagmire-Bog.”

The recording now included visuals and images of the planet.

“Recent scholar research into old pre Union records suggest that the planet was first cataloged and surveyed by the Ult over eight thousand years ago. The Ult lost two survey teams on the planet and declared the planet dangerous and inhospitable.

The Saran rediscovered it in 2100, just before Union times and also lost contact to a survey team and a subsequent expedition to rescue the first disappeared as well. The Sarans made a third attempt to find out what happened to their people in 3200 OTT and yet again all contact to the planet team was lost.

The Saran attempts and the loss of their survey teams came up in a conference of the Science Council in 3500 and Science Corps was tasked to sent a team of Scientists to investigate. At first everything appeared alright, but after two weeks all contact stopped. So it was decided to send a team of Marines to find out what happened.

The Marines found nine out of the original twelve scientists dead. All murdered so it had the appearance by members of their own team, not local life forms. Even after extensive search the three other scientists could not be found and finally declared MIA. The Planet was placed under quarantine until more research could be done.

In 4968 a team of Scientists under Dr. Hereford went back to Quagmire to investigate the planet and the incidents again. After almost three month of event less research and continuous contact, all contact was lost again. We fear Hereford and his team fell victim to whatever danger lurks on that planet. The Science Corps asked Fleet Science assets to look into. Fleet command agrees with Science and wants to know what happened and what it is that keeps us from investigating this world.

The Planet is a Nitrogen Oxygen garden-world with moderate climate and open water. Such planets are rare and valuable. The Star system is strategically close to the Nul Empire and in the very likely upcoming conflict it could serve as an important base.

You are experienced Navy officers and along with you there are six fully equipped Marines to assist you. Your orders are to keep constant contact to a second team that remains in orbit. Report any and all findings without delay and the sign of any danger you cannot handle, you are permitted to evacuate at any time.

If you are able to determine the nature of the mystery and you are able to declare the world safe, your orders are to establish a more permanent post on the Planet.So we can begin with a detailed survey and begin to built a fleet base.

To this purpose a LEGO-III Nanite factory and 20 Engineering Bots have been issued to you.”

I was so occupied listening to the recording, that when I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye it was too late!

A dark green tentacle coiled around me and pulled me into the muddy green water.

The last thing I heard was Krabbel’s alarm, before I was pulled below the surface. I instinctively opened my gills and gagged.

The water was full of debris and there was almost no oxygen in that soupy liquid. I would drown in this stuff just as anyone else.

My legs hit the ground. The bog was not as deep as I thought it was and with all my strength I tried to stand up against whatever was pulling me down and I did manage to get my head out of the water. More tentacles coiled around me and I soon would be totally helpless and be dragged under for good.

My blaster was pinned to my hip by one of the tentacles and as unreachable as any of the three knifes I was carrying, but my right arm was still free, so I pulled the .45, thumbed the safety and emptied the entire magazine into the barley visible black blob just in front of me from where the tentacles centered.

The thing reared out of the water, pulling me forward. I felt the tentacles go limb and instantly knew the beast was dead! Two sun bright beams singed over my head vaporizing water and much of whatever got me.

At the same time Har-Hi jumped with his swords in both fists into the water and started cutting tentacles away from me.

Krabbel holding two blasters kept firing and whatever had me was long reduced to atomic ashes. Har-Hi’s face was covered with green slime and filth as he asked me breathless. “Are you alright?”

“I think so.”

He grinned at me. “I know you like swimming but you should choose who you share the water with a little more careful, besides this water is disgusting.”

Two huge hands grabbed us both and pulled us with no effort back on the platform. Hans managed to look concerned, relieved and happy at the same time.

Wetmouth came running with a first aid kit. In her voice vibrated more than concern, almost something like fear or panic. This actually surprised me; she was usually the most un-emotional of us all. “Is he alive?”

I struggled to my feet. “Yes I am fairly sure and if these tentacles had any poisonous stingers or so, they didn’t penetrate my suit as far as I can tell.”

She used her PDD as a medical diagnostic scanner and waved it over me and checked the read out. “Other than a few contusions and ecchymosed tissue you seem alright.”

“Ecchy ... what?” I repeated

Her voice returned to the usual unemotional quality. “Medical term for bruises or in other terms black and blue marks on your skin left by those tentacles.”

Circuit and all the others had come too and the X101 said. “I just finished fixing the plumbing and it looks like just in time you both need a shower.”

Elfi wrinkled her pretty nose. “Yes you both stink.”

Wetmouth took me by the arm. “The next time, please be more careful we are on an unexplored and possible dangerous world.”

I agreed with her. “More dangerous than you realize. Check out that recording I just found.”

Wetmouth was right I did have red marks around my waist and legs but nothing serious. The shower felt great and I rinsed my gills and was amazed how much dark green stuff came out. It felt great to breathe fresh water.

After I had cleaned up and wore a clean uniform, I called a meeting in the common room. After everyone was there I looked around and said. “So how are we doing, so far?” I motioned to the Dai.”Har-Hi first.”

“We recorded the crime scenes. Wetmouth secured all possible evidence for later.” He counted down on his fingers. “We stored one body in a specimen container and where just about to do the same to the second when Krabbel raised alarm and you decided to examine a local life from close up.”

That reminded me and I pulled the .45 put it on the table and took it apart as the Marine instructor had showed me and begun to clean the gun. It came in quite handy and I promised myself to keep it in perfect working order.

Wetmouth was next. “All evidence suggests that he was not murdered but committed suicide, but I am going over the forensic evidence I collected more closely later. Not that there was much of anything useful left after all this time. I also checked the recording you gave me and I concluded with 95 percent probability that we should not be here. It should be Lt. Strasenburgh his team and most of all the Marines. I further conclude that Lt. Clusen set us up.”

I nodded. “I am pretty sure about that as well, not that I am able to put any percentage of probability on anything I come up with. We all can agree though that there is some condition on this planet that is responsible for all those expeditions getting lost. While I am confident that we be able to survive whatever it is, I would feel better if we could leave this planet before we have to find out if my confidence is not just wishful thinking.”

Hans leaned forward and said. “Unless of course they send us those marines and perhaps Quasis for all of us. Then I would not mind staying.”

Har-Hi crossed his arms. “While I generally feel better in space and don’t like to be dirt-side for long. I have confidence in you and we getting through anything this planet can throw at us.”

“This is bugging me more than our current situation.” I said. “I mean you are my friends, do you really don’t mind me telling everyone what to do?”

Shaka put his hand on my shoulder. “You know I don’t like talking much, but you should not even think that way. I used to be a social recluse with lots of issues as you know, but I think I speak for everyone if I say, you are the leader and we follow you to whatever end.”

The others simply nodded. I cleared my throat and pulled the recoil spring plug off, breaking down the gun in all its parts and said. “Any chances that GalNet terminal could be repaired?” I looked at Circuit.

“I didn’t have a chance to look at it, but I get right to it. As for the other equipment, the Zero Cube is about half way drained so we should have enough power for at least a hundred years. Water recycling works fine now; there was some nasty stuff in those filters I tell you. Because of the bad quality of the water the self clean cycle has to run all the time and no one thought of turning it on before. The lab equipment is in disarray but is pretty much intact. In addition we have six old MD-type Marine TKU Rifles, a full sized F4 Paralysator on tri-pod mound and several cases of explosives and detonators. We aren’t exactly helpless.”

Har-Hi interrupted. “Old Style TKU’S, MD-type, are they intact?”

“Oh yes they are still in their shipping crate along with lots of fully charged cells.”

Har-Hi’s eyes glittered. “Whatever is down here, we have nothing to fear. Do you guys know why they don’t issue them anymore?”

Elfi shrugged.”I am not so sure firepower will solve the problem we are facing and I don’t.”

“Because they were too powerful! Ahhh, I always wanted one.”

I was using a soft piece of cloth to clean the barrel of my gun. “I think some problems can be solved with firepower just fine.It worked on that thing that hugged me”

Har-Hi pointed with both hands at me. “This is a very sound Terran philosophy indeed.”

I grinned and said. “Then take one and relieve Krabbel. Also do me a favor and only fire it a few times and warn us before you test it.”

Har-Hi laughed. “I promise.” Then rushed out the door.

I looked at my PDD I had attached to my left wrist. “Let’s continue with what we started to do. I would like to have dinner at 2000 hrs and I would like everyone to get dressed for it. I would like to have it as formal as possible. We are Navy Officers and let’s face the challenges with style.”

They all got up. Elfi went to Krabbel who just came through the door and told him what had been discussed.

I finished cleaning my old gun, reloaded the magazine and put it back in my holster, while doing it I was padding it, like an old friend.

I went back to the box to see what else it contained. There was a rectangular multi task console, one that could be carried with a strap before the waist.

The unit had the manufacturer’s designation written on the side:”Mk-124 Portable Construction Command Console.”

After I activated it a simple easy to understand layout was displayed on its screen. The two large containers the shuttle had dropped where almost completely submerged into the muck. I pressed the robot activation key.

I could see the slide door opening and water rushing in. Twenty robots emerged, their shoulders and heads sticking out of the water. Engineering robots where designed to work in almost any environment and neither the mud nor the water mattered to them.

A voice from the console asked. “Choose project.”

A bullet list appeared and I scrolled it down.

-Defense Bunker

-Landing Platform

-Landing Field

-Settlement

-Small Standard Fleet base

I didn’t bother to scroll any further and selected Small Base.

One of the robots launched a small device into the air and it disappeared into the sky. The voice spoke again. “Survey Satellite launched. Mapping in progress ... Select site.”

An aerial view of our location appeared before me. It was Jungle and mud bogs everywhere. I did not see anything artificial, except the swimming base platform I was standing on. So I simply drew a circle right next to the old base, designating the area as the construction site.

The voice said. “Selection received. Parameters accepted. Construction phase indicated!”

The robots approached the second container. A big chute extended on one end. Water rushed in the chute and the robots began gathering mud and debris and putting it down the chute as well.

The output conveyor was under water but I saw the robots taking square blocks of about four meters length and one meter wide and deep and carry them away.

Long poles appeared next from out the Nanite factory and robots placed them in regular intervals all around the construction site.

The robots worked tirelessly without stopping and with unerring precision. I watched a robot dragging a black mass of tentacles and scales towards the chute. It was the same kind of beast that had attacked me earlier on. While it almost killed me, this one had no chance against the tremendous power of the robot as the machine stuffed it down the intake chute of the Nanite factory, a few moments later the last tentacle end disappeared. It too would be disassembled into its molecules and reassembled into something the construction project needed.

Bushes and water plants, rocks and mud everything the robots collected was devoured.

It was a fascinating process and I could have watched it all day long. However there was plenty to do and I wanted to check on the progress of my friends chores. Just as I turned I saw Har-Hi on top of the building aiming his blaster gun at me!

At first I thought he was aiming at something behind me and I turned to look into the same direction but there was nothing. I wanted to call my friend and ask him what he was aiming at. Har-Hi was trembling and the gun was shaking. With a sharp thunder-crack a bolt of super heated plasma burned a 20 centimeter wide hole right before me through the dura plast of the platform. The heat of the blast was so intense it singed me with a painful stinging sensation all over my face and hands!

More than the heat and the blinding light form the blast hurting me; I was stunned with the realization that Har-Hi had almost killed me.

My eyes were blinded from the bright bolt, I could see nothing, but I heard shouts from the others and Har-Hi’s angry voice yelling something I could not understand, he screamed in his native Dai language.

Then I felt Wetmouth close to me and the characteristic sounds of her medical scanner. She said. “Second degree burns all over your face, thank to the Goddess your eyes are not permanently damaged. She sprayed something cool in my eyes and then something else over my skin. My eyesight slowly returned and I saw Krabbel restraining Har-Hi and Hans aiming his immense fist at his face. Hans was angry and thundered at the Dai. “Did you lose your mind? Why in the world did you shoot at Eric?”

Something that I thought I would never see, tears where rolling down Har-Hi’s face. He finally spoke in Standard-Lingu. “Yes I lost my mind! I don’t know why but I suddenly felt so angry and hateful against Eric. For a moment I was so angry that he killed all those Dai. I imagined him attacking my own tribe and the anger became stronger and stronger by the moment. I wanted to kill him! All the same I knew it was all wrong and what I wanted to do was not me. No matter what, Eric I could not kill you. I was able to aim the gun away the very last moment.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.